Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Hegel H160

Hegel H160

Anyone have a chance yet to hear it? Apparently available for sale in early December.

Super Moderator

Re: Hegel H160

Hegel Music Systems - H160

Looks very nice.

Technical Details

Power output spk: 150 w/pc into 8 Ohms, 250 w/pc into 4 Ohms
    Power output hp: 270 mw/pc into 64 Ohms
    Analog inputs: 1 balanced (XLR), 1 unbalanced (RCA), 1 home theatre
    Analog outputs: 1 fixed line level (RCA), 1 variable line level (RCA)
    Digital inputs: 1 coaxial, 3 optical, 1 USB, 1 ethernet (RJ45)
    Headphone output: 6,3 mm Jack (front)
    Frequency response: 5Hz-100kHz
    Signal-to-noise ratio: More than 100dB
    Crosstalk: Less than -100dB
    Distortion: 0.005% @ 50W 8 Ohms 1kHz
    Intermodulation: Less than 0.01% (19kHz + 20kHz)
    Damping factor: More than 1000 (main power output stage)
    Dimensions / weight: 12cm x 43cm x 41cm (HxWxD) / 19kg (shipping)
    Dimensions / weight: 7.72” x 16.93” x 16.15” (HxBxD), 42lbs (shipping)

My H30 is simply OUTSTANDING on my Harbeth 40.1's. I absolutely love the combo.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hegel Music Systems - H160

Looks very nice.

My H30 is simply OUTSTANDING on my Harbeth 40.1's. I absolutely love the combo.
    Glad to hear you are enjoying the H30. The H160 looks very interesting...I am thinking of upgrading to it or the H300 from my current H80.

Decided to make the H160 an X-mas present to self gift and ordered one on Wed. that hopefully will arrive sometime next week. I will pass on some comments once it arrives and I get it up and running. Hope everyone has a good holiday season.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Congrats on the 160

My H30 is making beautiful music on my Dali Epicon 8's

Love your avatar too.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Congrats on the 160

+1

What a great Christmas present JBLfan. Hope it arrives before Christmas day. I will look forward to reading your thoughts on this new integrated model. Did you also consider the H300?
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Congrats on the 160

My H30 is making beautiful music on my Dali Epicon 8's

Love your avatar too.
    Thx ! I will also be using Hegel to drive Dali's.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    +1

What a great Christmas present JBLfan. Hope it arrives before Christmas day. I will look forward to reading your thoughts on this new integrated model. Did you also consider the H300?
    Thx! I did consider the H300 very seriously - went with the H160 as it can directly stream DLNA and AirPlay - I stream a fair bit in this system so that was a benefit to me. Curious how it will sound.

Nice! Please post impressions when you some hours on it. Looks like a great unit!

Allen

We'd 160 on tests and in comparison with H100 the progress is huge, but ... for Me H300 offers much more wide sound stage and dynamic especially with hard to drive loudspeakers (like Gauder). Of course H160 is very sensitive for power cords and play best on XLR connection.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundRebels View Post
    We'd 160 on tests and in comparison with H100 the progress is huge, but ... for Me H300 offers much more wide sound stage and dynamic especially with hard to drive loudspeakers (like Gauder). Of course H160 is very sensitive for power cords and play best on XLR connection.
    Do you have an English translation for the Hegel 160 reviews?
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Do you have an English translation for the Hegel 160 reviews?
    Not yet.

Only English translated review I have found online over the Hegel H160 is here. Hoping mine arrives by Wed. of this coming week

6moons audioreviews: Hegel H160

I'm sure you'll love it. Hegel amps have such a great sound.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

I'm sure you'll love it. Hegel amps have such a great sound.
    Agreed. That "sound engine" patent Hegel has seems to have me hooked. Whatever it is.

In simple terms, Hegel's patented Sound Engine technology is a method of using feed forward signal processing to cancel switching distortion. As such, it allows them to create class A/B amplifiers with many of the sonic benefits of pure class A designs, but without losing the higher efficiency of A/B operation. I agree that they sound great and offer an exceptional value in the marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    In simple terms, Hegel's patented Sound Engine technology is a method of using feed forward signal processing to cancel switching distortion. As such, it allows them to create class A/B amplifiers with many of the sonic benefits of pure class A designs, but without losing the higher efficiency of A/B operation. I agree that they sound great and offer an exceptional value in the marketplace.
    Thx for that Bill.....very interesting information.

Thanks Bill, that's exactly how I would describe the sound, Class A beauty.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Thanks Bill, that's exactly how I would describe the sound, Class A beauty.
    Have you tried playing the H30 in Monoblock Setting - Entirely Changes for the Better - i heard yesterday giving the Soulution Monos "a run for their money", H30s had - Absoluta Talia preamp married to them (tube+bipolar).

Hegel themselves also claims superior performance running the H30 in mono configuration, and it was initially designed as a mono amp. However several reviewers have reported that they find the H30 to sound best when run in its stereo mode. It's not clear what would be the cause of this discrepancy.

Audioshark

Hegel themselves also claims superior performance running the H30 in mono configuration, and it was initially designed as a mono amp. However several reviewers have reported that they find the H30 to sound best when run in its stereo mode. It's not clear what would be the cause of this discrepancy.
    I had the monos, before selling one and going with the stereo. There is no doubt to me the stereo sounded better. Sweeter. Richer. More musical. The monos definitely reminded me of the old Soulution sound, like the 710.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mike tried 2 H30's running mono, but he preferred a single H30 in stereo.

I would love to try it myself, but I haven't had the chance.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

I think it boils down to the speaker...hegels are so neutral they work intentionally not to sweeten but to disappear which means so if you have not so good speakers its going to show ; i wonder how beautiful will it be to pair the h30 monos the raidho d3....

Probably you are right - perhaps it was the Talia that set the H30's mood right then the preceding P30.

I'm currently using a H160 to drive some Dynaudio Xcite 34's and have had a blast with this set up. Hegel especially has impressed me with their handling of digital audio sources and how little they "sound". We have a few different combinations that we've tried at our store and the Hegel has not disappointed yet.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum LiquidSound, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

In spite of all the current "where is Hegel manufactured" threads floating around out there I am still hugely enjoying my H160. Not surprised the new H360 is adding DLNA and airplay - both very well done on the H160 and work great.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hegel H160