Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Any Casio G-Shock fans here? Thinking about this one ....

I am tough on watches and love my solar powered Casio watches (among others). They take a beating and set themselves. Anyone have any favorites?

Gravitymaster GPW1000-4A

or this one ...

Gravitymaster GPW1000-1A
    Last edited by joeinid; November 6, 2014 at 02:24 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Any Casio G-Shock fans here? Thinking about this one ....

After looking at that very pricey IWC watch on the other thread that sells for over $8k, the Casio is pretty fugly by comparison. It sort of reminds me of the interior of a GM car. If you need a watch that you can beat the crap out of and it's important that it sets itself, sounds like you have found what you are looking for.

I remember when Timex used to advertise their $10 watches on TV with the slogan "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking." One of the commercials was a guy who put his Timex watch on the nightstand and his dog swallowed it. He had to wait for the dog to crap out his $10 Timex so he could clean it off and sure enough, it still worked. That was a pretty gross commercial. Personally, I wouldn't have stood watch over the dog's bowel movements in hopes of getting back my $10 watch back from a pile of crap.

Joe I have a Casio, among other watches, and really like it. I'll have to find the model number so I can post a pic.
    I'm not sure why anyone would compare an 8k watch to a $100.00 one and then call it fugly but to each his own I guess...
    Just like expensive watch connoisseurs there are those who like to collect Casio's. They are great watches and you don't have to worry when you scratch it.

Sent from my HTC One.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Joe I have a Casio, among other watches, and really like it. I'll have to find the model number so I can post a pic.
    I'm not sure why anyone would compare an 8k watch to a $100.00 one and then call it fugly but to each his own I guess...
    Just like expensive watch connoisseurs there are those who like to collect Casio's. They are great watches and you don't have to worry when you scratch it.

Sent from my HTC One.
    You can't compare the two, it's the irony of the two threads more or less that I was commenting on. The Casio is not a cheap watch as it lists for over $900, but it is fugly at any price. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some beholders have bad eyesight, but come on man. That watch looks like something you sent off for with 10 cereal box tops for payment. It looks like a cross between a pair of Nike shoes, a transformer toy, and the dashboard of a GM car.

Hey Joe - I really like the G-Shock watches. I've had the same one for close to 20 years and haven't even had to replace the battery yet. I use it as my workout/sports/casual watch and it works great. No it's not anything fancy, and I don't wear it out somewhere nice (I have my Omega Speedmaster for that), but I think it's a great watch! Looks-wise I like your second picture better.
    McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
    ModWright LS 300 preamplifier
    ModWright PH 9.0XT phono stage
    Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
    Cambridge Audio CXNv2 with ModWright Truth Tube Modifications
    Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
    Outlaw 7000x HT Amplifier
    Denon AVR-X4700H HT Receiver (pre-amp mode)
    JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
    ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
    WyWires, LAT International, Wireworld Cables

Super Moderator

I do agree that some of these can look and are "fugly", but this one, to me, looks kind of cool. My stainless steel Rolex never kept good time although it looks nice. I have a couple of dress watches for the fancier occasions, but enjoy the funkier ones. During the DST changeover, the 6 or so radio controlled, solar Casio watches all set themselves. Very cool.

I'd love to be able to buy those Panerai, IWC and fancier watches but it's not in the cards.
    Last edited by joeinid; November 6, 2014 at 06:45 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I do agree that some of these can look and are "fugly", but this one, to me, looks kind of cool. My stainless steel Rolex never kept good time although it looks nice. I have a couple of dress watches for the fancier occasions, but enjoy the funkier ones. During the DST changeover, the 6 or so radio controlled, solar Casio watches all set themselves. Very cool.

I'd love to be able to buy those Panerai, IWC and fancier watches but it's not in the cards.
    It's not in the cards for me either. I would end dumping that cash in my stereo system. I'm also too rough on watches to lay out that kind of cash for one. I have a Citizens solar watch that keeps great time and it's only moderately fugly.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    It's not in the cards for me either. I would end dumping that cash in my stereo system. I'm also too rough on watches to lay out that kind of cash for one. I have a Citizens solar watch that keeps great time and it's only moderately fugly.
    Ha! Too funny. They are super accurate and take a beating.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Those are huge compared to the G-Shocks I remember from 15 years ago. To be honest, I should still be wearing one in the environment I work in.

After looking at their site, it appears they still sell the styles I remember: STANDARD DIGITAL - G-SHOCK - Watches - CASIO

They certainly have some interesting color combos available... GA-400-2A - Watches - CASIO and GD-100SC-6 - Watches - CASIO

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

2 Channel: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, Manley Mahi Monoblocks, DIY SEOS Waveguide/Dipole Bass Towers
    HT: Marantz AV7005, Wyred 4 MMC5, DIY SEOS Towers, DIY 7CF Sealed 18" Subs
    PC: Wyred 4 Sound mINT, KEF Q100, Hifiman HE-6

Super Moderator

Those are funky for sure.

NAD C 658 streamer.

This is the one I have Joe.

Doug

Super Moderator

Nice Doug.

I have a Casio Oceanus and Pathfinder. I'll try and find photos.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I was looking at both of those you mentioned before I got mine. May still get one of those anyway.

Sent from my HTC One.
    Doug

Super Moderator

Watches

Sort of another obsession but mostly under control.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Not just any watch Joe, a cheap, fugly, GM watch! :-)

Sent from my HTC One.
    Doug

Super Moderator

Yup, don't want too many of them.

Not just any watch Joe, a cheap, fugly, GM watch! :-)

Sent from my HTC One.

NAD C 658 streamer.

The G Shocks are handy "hard working" watches. I've owned one for about 20 years. About 3 years ago I felt like I had to replace my old battery powered one (don;t know that I ever changed the battery in it), so I got a new one that runs on solar power. I put the old one in the drawer figuring it would die soon in it's scraped and beaten paint splattered shell.

Nope, that old beast is still running... in the drawer. The new one is great too. Can't kill these things.
    Vine, Vide, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Super Moderator

It really is amazing how much abuse these watches can take and still be accurate and work great.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

I've made my choice ...

20141113_114124.jpg

Sorry, it looks a little blurry.
    Last edited by joeinid; November 13, 2014 at 05:34 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Nice Joe. Can you launch missiles with it too? :-)

Sent from my HTC One.
    Doug

Super Moderator

Absolutely

I have to be careful where I point it.

Thanks. It's really big on my wrist, but not heavy.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe do you know the model number of it?
    They are a decent weight that's for sure. Not like the heavy Chinese steel on those Rolexs.

Sent from my HTC One.
    Doug

Super Moderator

Gravitymaster GPW1000-1A

http://world.g-shock.com/asia-mea/en...master/hybrid/

http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/e...l/GPW-1000-1A/

Joe do you know the model number of it?
    They are a decent weight that's for sure. Not like the heavy Chinese steel on those Rolexs.

Sent from my HTC One.
    Last edited by joeinid; November 13, 2014 at 06:31 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Any Casio G-Shock fans here? Thinking about this one ....