Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: CLX

CLX

I was over at the Magnolia store inside Best Buy the other day looking at headphones and saw that they had the CLX's set up in a separate room. The salesmen was nice enough to offer to let me hear them knowing that I was not in the market for speakers. They had them paired with a pair of Mac 601 monoblocks and a ML sub. Everything was set up perfectly.

The sound was spectacular. Even though the CLX's don't go below 56Hz the bass was powerful (despite the sub). The CLX's don't sound like other ML's that I have heard. I have always thought that the midrange was too light on other ML's. But the CLX's mids were lush and deep while still being delicate at the same time. Imaging was excellent and the sound was just floating in air. I could have sat there all day listening.

All told the system was about $80K. The only other system that I have heard that sounded comparable was a $120K system of Wilson Alexia's paired with Ayre and Modwright.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Re: CLX

Very cool! I'll have to check out my local BB store.
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers

Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolators | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton + Typhon | Shunyata Hydra 2 Power Conditioner

Just had a chance to audition the CLX's today with the balanced force 212 sub driven by MC601's. I was totally blown away! I currently have Ethos and was looking at the 15a Renaissance as the replacement but it was no contest for me. The CLX Art was better in every way(assuming I was using the sub). Better detail, stunning presence, larger and much deeper soundstage, better vocals(stunning actually), and acoustic guitar just nailed it. It also did piano better than anything I've heard. They just totally emerged me in the music and I was instantly emotionally involved in the sound like never before. I'll have a dedicated 20X24 room in about a month and I know what I'll be adding ... CLX Arts and a pair of the Balanced Force 212's all in dark cherry! I actually preferred the CLX Art with the sub to the Neolith but I am assuming that the Neolith wasn't setup properly and actually I'm glad ... now I can be totally content with the CLX's when they come in for much less money!

I, too, think the CLX is great on vocals. Having heard the Neolith five times in different systems (to my ears the three tube-based systems were great; the two solid-state-based systems were not great) I prefer the Neolith for its greater meatiness and impact in the 100 to 200 Hz range due to its 12" driver.

Quote Originally Posted by RonR View Post
    I,. Having heard the Neolith five times in different systems (to my ears the three tube-based systems were great; the two solid-state-based systems were not great)
    I would concur, a few months back KJW1 in London held an ML Neolith open day running a pair on SS amplification that did perception of the speakers no real favours.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    I would concur, a few months back KJW1 in London held an ML Neolith open day running a pair on SS amplification that did perception of the speakers no real favours.
    I will admit that I heard the Neoliths on a pair on MC1.2's with a C52 so all solid state gear for sure. I'm not sure I want to hear them on tubes! :-)

I heard them on SS and thought them worthy with a lot of potential. setup will require knowledgable individuals as mid-bass /Bass/ Sub bass requires proper setup as there are multuple adjustments , not to mention distance from the rear wall and listening distance is also crucial for all to integrate, when correct , percussive weight and sound should be Superior to the CLX ...

In the past , I was never a fan of ML speakers finding them bright thin and unmoving to Meh at best, This even after countless hrs of setup and fidgeting . I must say their current crop is very competitive and worthy , really good potential ....

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
    I will admit that I heard the Neoliths on a pair on MC1.2's with a C52 so all solid state gear for sure. I'm not sure I want to hear them on tubes! :-)
    A pity then!:-) as I heard them driven by a pair of ARC Ref250se's, Dense Organic tonality replaced a thin gray granular presentation.

I realize the Neolith's I heard were most likely not performing like they could ... what about the CLX's(with subs) versus the new Renaissance or Expressions? I thought the CLX's with the subs had a wider and deeper soundstage and the image was more solid than the new stand alone hybrids. Granted the 13a and 15a sound far better than my Ethos but after comparing I thought the CLX to be the clear winner vs the new hybrids ... any thoughts??? Love to hear what others are thinking as well!

The CLX for sure over those .....

Granted the 13a and 15a sound far better than my Ethos but after comparing I thought the CLX to be the clear winner vs the new hybrids ... any thoughts??? Love to hear what others are thinking as well!
    Having listened to both @ Overture ('the' best listening rooms in NE America) I feel the CLX's with subs properly integrated are a clear winner but ..........they should be , duhhhhh, look at the $$ differential ! If your room is modest (like mine, 14'6"x24') then the 13a's are the perfect choice. As I said over on the M/L forum, the 13a's perform way beyond their price point, I for one really feel they are the sweet spot in the Logan line-up. On the other hand 'if' you have the room the CLX/sub combination is one tough act to beat.
    Cheers ! …. Dave

I heard the CLX and 212 sub combo in a room about the same size as my new room(20X24X10) and it was memorizing. Now its just waiting for the new house to be ready! :-)

I heard the CLX and 212 sub combo in a room about the same size as my new room(20X24X10) and it was memorizing.
    For my part If I plan upon an evening of Singer songwriter, Crooner, Mainstream Jazz etc... I tend to prefer running without the Descenti subs, also should the genre be not too demanding I often Like to run with the 16Ohm taps on ARC Ref250se, but that's just me!

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    For my part If I plan upon an evening of Singer songwriter, Crooner, Mainstream Jazz etc... I tend to prefer running without the Descenti subs, also should the genre be not too demanding I often Like to run with the 16Ohm taps on ARC Ref250se, but that's just me!
    --------------

I use the CLX with 2 x Balanced Force 212 subs in a 39' long x 14' wide x 9.5' high room. The bass is excellent with room to couple the very low-end.

I'm a folk music listener and yes, they are over-reaching in performance. No, they won't have the mid bass PUNCH of a dynamic driver (my Dyn Audio C4 signatures as a comparison) but if you crave midrange resolution and clarity of expression, they are tops. I do think that they HAVE to have a sub or two to reach their potential. Sure, some will use them as is, but I bet they would take a really good sub given the chance to hear them set up with proper DSP like the Balance Force subs.

The CLX are a highly guarded secret for some reason. They aren't fussy at all (mine are going on three years of near continues use), and are priced in the lower reaches of premium sneakers. Highly recommended for an audition. But, 25K plus a sub is a commitment, I agree.

Rower30

I use a MOON W-8 and it is spectacular on my CLX art with 2 x 212 Balance Force subs. So don't count ANY amplifier out till you size it up. The W-8 aren't afraid of the low impedance up high at all. But that's not to say some of BOTH styles of amplifiers won't like low impedance at all. But to say you need tubes is false. And, the preamplifier you use matters HIGHLY with the CLX ART. I use a PASS Labs XP-30, and it is a wonderful combination with the MOON W-8. It adds just the right amount of warmth without killing what the CLX want to do...throw out exceptional vocal texture and resolution. I don't want to soften that up too much or why get the CLX?

rower30

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

CLX