Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Interesting experience with Stillpoints Ultra SSs

i am currently about half way through breaking in MXR-20s and Magico S3s. I have Ayre electronics (kx-5 and dx5 dsd). I have all electronics on ayre myrtle blocks. The sounds is becoming more and more organic, beautiful. Based on a lot of positive press I bought Stillpoints ultra SSs, 12 of them to place 3 under each electronic piece. Placed them in yesterday with high hat touching bottom of electronics, yuk! Imaging collapsed, very sterile. Then switched them with high hat touching rack, much better but...something still not right. Soundstage still not as wide as myrtle blocks, bass decreased, height decreased but resolution went up a bit but still lost some organic feel. The instructions said not to use them threaded tightly, to make sure they were loose which I did. Tonight I switched back to the myrtle blocks, back to heaven, no contest. Soundstage opened up, bass increased and organic feel back. What gives, I am disappointed. Any input?
    Boulder 2160 and 2110, Esoteric K01XD, Magico S3s mk2s, 2 REL carbon special subs, Authentic Audio Images Assoluto cables, Stromtank 2500 mk2, HRS M3x isolation pads, Stillpoint ultra ss v2 footers, Dedicated sub panel in the room and dedicated sound room with ASC tube traps and Vicoustics treatments

Re: Interesting experience with Stillpoints Ultra SSs

Thanks for your impressions. I was thinking of trying them as you have. It probably gets down to the interaction with your combination of gear, racks & floor. It's another example of YMMV.

Speakeasy

Myrtle blocks?

Stillpoints seems expensive with little gain. Lot of hype, but just another tweak worth very little.

Quote Originally Posted by Solecky View Post
    i am currently about half way through breaking in MXR-20s and Magico S3s. I have Ayre electronics (kx-5 and dx5 dsd). I have all electronics on ayre myrtle blocks. The sounds is becoming more and more organic, beautiful. Based on a lot of positive press I bought Stillpoints ultra SSs, 12 of them to place 3 under each electronic piece. Placed them in yesterday with high hat touching bottom of electronics, yuk! Imaging collapsed, very sterile. Then switched them with high hat touching rack, much better but...something still not right. Soundstage still not as wide as myrtle blocks, bass decreased, height decreased but resolution went up a bit but still lost some organic feel. The instructions said not to use them threaded tightly, to make sure they were loose which I did. Tonight I switched back to the myrtle blocks, back to heaven, no contest. Soundstage opened up, bass increased and organic feel back. What gives, I am disappointed. Any input?
    Is the hardhat cap tight to the body? There's supposed to be a feeler gauge included but if not, back it off half a turn. Make sure it doesn't get accidentally tightened when placing the devices.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Harris4crna View Post
    Stillpoints seems expensive with little gain. Lot of hype, but just another tweak worth very little.
    I'm curious. Have you actually heard the product in your system.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

It might be the solid aluminium chassis of the Ayre does not need Stilpoints as there is little resonance?

I had similar results putting my Stillpoints Ultras under my Pass XP-20 and XP-25 and they have similar solid aluminium chassis.

But they sound wonderful under my cj GAT
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

You may be on to something.I have stillpoints under most components and speakers.Should I try blocks of Myrtle?

Just curious but when you place the Myrtle Wood Blocks under the chassis, how do you do it? Do you put them under the rubber feet, adjacent to the rubber feet or remove the rubber feet? It is an inexpensive tweak compared to Stillpoints ($15 for three blocks) that is giving you improved performance, so this is a great thing.
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

The ayre myrtle blocks are in contact directly with chassis near the feet, the feet are floating. There is an interesting point about the solid aluminum chassis on the amps, I wonder if I should experiment on just the CD player and preamp.
    Boulder 2160 and 2110, Esoteric K01XD, Magico S3s mk2s, 2 REL carbon special subs, Authentic Audio Images Assoluto cables, Stromtank 2500 mk2, HRS M3x isolation pads, Stillpoint ultra ss v2 footers, Dedicated sub panel in the room and dedicated sound room with ASC tube traps and Vicoustics treatments

I've heard many success stories with certain species of timber including various Myrtles. Finding workable thicknesses can be a challenge.

Speakeasy

Too sad they do not worked on your system.
    Did your dealer made a demo before you made the order?

STILLPOINTS are my best and easy to sell product, they just work and very good if I can add.

I tried many other brands and nothing comes close to them.
    Maybe you had them too tight? Can you describe your rack?

I want too see all the variables to see if I can help or I can get in touch
    with Bruce Jacobs and give me a hand on your situation.

N.
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

What racks are you using if any? Send me a PM and I will explain what I think is happening. Need to do it with a phone call. Too much for me to type
    Design Audio Video is a dealer for:

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:
    Raidho, Focal, Revel, Dynaudio, JBL, Sonus Faber

Cables:
    Tara Labs, Shunyata, Nordost, Straightwire, Ansuz, Transparent

Accessories:
    Stillpoints, Quadraspire, Shelter, Transrotor

trying to post a picture of my setup but only have 7 posts and need 10 to post pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got 10 posts now, here is the picture of my setup
    Attached Images Attached Images

If your dealer is close try the ultra base and replace the hard hat for it.

Did you try 3 Ultra SS instead of 4?

Put one right below the power transformer of the unit, that's were is the most vibration are
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints

Did you start with the speakers first ?
    Caribbean Distributor of

You should try having the amps at the low level
    Caribbean Distributor of

I would start with the speakers. I have them under S3s and the result is superb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    I would start with the speakers. I have them under S3s and the result is superb.
    Kuoppis,
    Care to elaborate the sort of improvement you experienced? I have S3s and also ordered 8 Stillpoints SS awhile back, but the threads for S3s I ordered from Stillpoints really didn't fit in the outriggers. So I just sort of left them alone and maybe it's time I should look into it again. I'll probably order another set to threads to try.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Kuoppis,
    Care to elaborate the sort of improvement you experienced? I have S3s and also ordered 8 Stillpoints SS awhile back, but the threads for S3s I ordered from Stillpoints really didn't fit in the outriggers. So I just sort of left them alone and maybe it's time I should look into it again. I'll probably order another set to threads to try.
    Sure, will do my best, so here we go:

IMHO one a key benefit of Magicos is the accuracy, clarity and definition achieved by the rigid aluminum corpus and very stiff and hard membranes. In particular and in this case the S3 is able to offer more clarity and detail in the bass than usual through its double aluminun woofers. A turnside coming with the rigid materials is that Magicos can sound a tad hard. Hence people like to play them with dark sounding amps like e.g. Solution.

What I experienced when putting the S3s on Ultra SS Stillpoints is that the speakers opened up considerably, i.e. offering a finer portrayal of timbres and a warmer and more audible bass. Altogether the speakers now sound smoother.

Medically seen I'm not sure I should be hearing it (thought human hearing is bottoming out at around 30 Hz), but when I tested the S3s with the Ayre "Irrational, but Efficacious" CD I heard the bass kicking in at exactly 26 Hz, as specified. Please take note, I do have a very well acousticed room, which makes a rather significant difference in terms of what you can get out of your system.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask for clarification in case my elaboration was not clear.

PS: To mount Stillpoints on the S3s you will need to remove the spikes and use adapter studs (available from Stillpoints) for thread conversion from the S3 footers to the Ultra SS.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Thanks much for the very nice elaboration. Quite appreciate it.

Yes, it sounds like it's worth a try. I've been postponing because adding Stillpoints to the S3s outriggers also mean the spikes will have to completely decouple from its handle and I wasn't sure if you could put them back together (at least I know Magico sells these S3 spikes separately) when I try to sell the S3s down the road.

Finer timbres, more audible bass, smoother. What's not to like? lol

I do notice it can sound a little hard on lesser recordings, but not sure if this the area SS can improve.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Finer timbres, more audible bass, smoother. What's not to like? lol

I do notice it can sound a little hard on lesser recordings, but not sure if this the area SS can improve.
    My thinking .

There is a point though that you have to remove the original spikes, I had the same concern. But then again, when spending a couple of grand on speakers I will not accept any compromises. And as you say, you can buy new spikes from Magico, they are selling them separately).

On the source material quality, to improve that you might need to resort to something smoother sounding like Sonus Faber. The S3 give out exactly what you put in, no mercy there.

But then again, I ventured into analogue beginning of this year for the first time in +30 years. The S3s do bring out the beauty of vinyl vs. even very good digital in such an obvious manner, that I have hardly touched my digital gear since .

That's the benefit of getting out exactly what you put in (if you can call investing several grand into LPs a benefit that is Interesting experience with Stillpoints Ultra SSs).

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team