Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Re: Any Shindo 604 AlNiCo owners here?

Quote Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
    Here you go. Horn search solved!

https://13audio.com/comission-build/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I've seen this site. Any idea how good the builder is?

Quote Originally Posted by briguy View Post
    Yeah, I've seen this site. Any idea how good the builder is?
    No idea but he is very well known in the Western Electric community. I assume his work is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
    No idea but he is very well known in the Western Electric community. I assume his work is quite good.
    Have you or anyone else here personally heard the WE horns he's using in a good system or (even better) in a Shindo system?

Curious to hear some unbiased feedback on the strengths/weaknesses of this approach versus the Latours.

Anyone know any WEstern Electric aficionados in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Ask at the lenco forum. Lots of WE knowledge over there from guys who are interested in audio and audio history and not...errrr....shopping. Any Shindo 604 AlNiCo owners here?

The shindo speaker is a great solution with good high efficency sound, smooth and open, natural etc...its the solution I had arrived to before going for the large western electric horns. The move from Atlec/JBL is not a simple one as ones foundations need to be reconsidered. When dealing with >110db horns that cover 50>85hz to 5000hz>5500hz in one go it challenges yet is rewarding. Have made horns for many around the world and they will all confirm this. A few are in California state. Not many of these systems on the planet...

All fun...

BTW, I'm now using super tweeters on my 604's with very agreeable results.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Craig

Listening Room:
    Shindo Vosne Romanee and Haut Brion, Shindo Alnico 604's, Fostex T90A's, slate Lenco TT, Schick tonearm, Bob's Devices 1311, PS Audio DirectStream, Naim CD5, Sonos, Shindo IC's and wire, WE wire
    On loan - in a buddy's man cave: Almarro a205a, Sonos, Rega Juras
    HT: McCormack MAP1 and HT3, Manaplaner CC2 and MC1's, REL, Cambridge DacMagic, Sonos

Craig- love the finish on your 604's. I'm sure it sounds wonderful. Nice that you can control the level of that super tweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
    Craig- love the finish on your 604's. I'm sure it sounds wonderful. Nice that you can control the level of that super tweeter.
    Thanks. You noticed the attenuators which coupled with various value capacitors allow experimentation and better integration with the 604's. A while back, you told me that the 604's were probably nowhere near fully broken in. In addition, it was likely that the new tubes in the Haut Brion needed further burn-in. Whatever the reason, the combo wasn't yet producing the high frequency I was told to expect, and these Fostex units got things where I like them. They may be a short term solution, but they sure sound nice as is.
    Craig

Listening Room:
    Shindo Vosne Romanee and Haut Brion, Shindo Alnico 604's, Fostex T90A's, slate Lenco TT, Schick tonearm, Bob's Devices 1311, PS Audio DirectStream, Naim CD5, Sonos, Shindo IC's and wire, WE wire
    HT: McCormack MAP1 and HT3, Manaplaner CC2 and MC1's, REL, Cambridge DacMagic, Sonos

Sorry Don, it was Bill (loop4fun) that told me that the 604's weren't broken in yet. I momentarily got confused because you both have 4's in your user names. I must be easily addled!
    Craig

Listening Room:

I'm getting stands built for my Altec Valencia 846A's. Can Shindo speaker owners share the approximate height the horn is off the ground. I am liking my Altec's about 8" off the ground now. Because my grills are on there, I haven't checked to see if my horns are at ear level. System: WT GTA, TSD-15 SFL, A23 Homage T2, V/R, Dy'Quem's, Lignolab rack. Cheers -Don

The 604 horns are about 34" high which is just about perfect ear height when I'm on my listening sofa. Imaging usually puts sound sources slightly above the horn height.

FWIW: The Fostex super tweeters are on the center top of each speaker. If I could mount them more at ear level, they would probably disappear even more than they already do, which is nicely.
    Craig

Listening Room:

Thanks Craig. I think getting my horned up to 32" will be near ideal. Of course I have the play in my chair, but I find my sweet spot is my ear being no more than 32" off the ground. (-:

Thats a great speaker!

Bill,
    I am new to this forum and I appreciate reading posts like yours as they come across straightforward. Can you comment on any experience you may have had with room placement - most of the pics I have seen show the Latour speakers very close to the rear wall and apparently even side walls.
    Francis

Super Moderator

Francis, welcome to the forum, thank you so much for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Sommerfs View Post
    Bill,
    I am new to this forum and I appreciate reading posts like yours as they come across straightforward. Can you comment on any experience you may have had with room placement - most of the pics I have seen show the Latour speakers very close to the rear wall and apparently even side walls.
    Francis
    Hi Francis, welcome.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Cool Re: Any Shindo 604 AlNiCo owners here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sommerfs View Post
    Bill,
    Francis

Francis,
    Until Bill responds, I’m happy to chime in. From memory, my Latour 604s are around 24” out from the front wall and nearly 30” from the sidewall, 7.5 feet apart and slightly toed in to a point behind the listening position 10 feet away so the inside panels are just visible. The speakers rest on 2’x4’ plywood, until I make permanent wood platforms, per the dealer’s recommendation. Better to sit on wood than cement, I’m told.

My situation requires placement closer to the front wall, but they do sound great several feet out too. When placed in a much larger room (25x40’), many feet away from all walls, they opened up and breathed nicely, despite a crossover mis-setting that was later fully fixed by Shindo. However, the reflective effects of a smaller room lend atmosphere (excitement) and bass reinforcement to many recordings, provided the reflections and resonances are controlled. The mid/tweeter horns are directional and that helps to control HF reflections.

On that note, behind the speakers I have three 2’x4’ wood framed bass traps filled with 4” thick mineral wool batten covered with linen. The right side wall has three similar absorbers with 2” batten to negate mid and high frequency reflections from the plaster and cement.

Not that you asked, but for context, my room is kind of trapezoidal, with the front wall the shortest (15 feet or so), the back wall longest (21 feet), side walls asymmetrical (14 and 16 feet) and 4 for wide passage ways abutting the back wall. 11 foot wood and beam ceilings. All walls are plaster over solid adobe (mud bricks), except the back wall which has a very large window/ sliding door. Floor is finished cement.

more than you asked for...
    Craig

Listening Room:

Update - my 604s had a crossover setting issue that limited their HF response. Shindo fixed this. At this point, the speakers are broken in and I no longer need the super tweeters.
    Craig

Listening Room:

Supertweeters are unnecessary with Altec 604. See the freq. ressponse curves!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Supertweeters are unnecessary with Altec 604. See the freq. ressponse curves!
    That’s what you would think! Of course I looked at the response curves before purchasing the speakers. The problem arose when the speakers did not perform as anticipated. It took them over a year to break in. It’s possible that the attenuators did not need to be adjusted, but I was not prepared for the length of time it took for them to start to perform above 10,000 Hz. At this point, they can sound absolutely magical. I’m amazed at the imaging and the size of the soundstage. They can be delicate and brutish. Of course they’re not perfect for every type of music, congested poorly recorded rock in particular, and their placement and the room make a big difference. Normally reside in a billiard room. Some people might call this a profane use of such a nice system. I however, there is not a god to which I bow. I have reveled in listening while playing pool, but I have no listening chair per se. I’m one of those people that likes to also get up and walk around or boogy to music. However sometimes I move them. They sound best without a doubt in our 25 x 50’ living room/kitchen. They open up and create an effortless and large soundstage, through which the horns project all of the impact in detail that I would want.

Any luxury product in that price region could be expected to work at least within specs. We are talking about a heavy moded speaker which distincts itself from the mass production model not only by the modification but by its price. If I bought Rolls Royce than I would expect the company to have a quality control inspection plan to assure that every product that leaves the factory works flawlessly. If that may not being happen for some reasons, at least the local dealer should check before delivery to the customer that it works properly. In your case, it seems that both have failed in delivering an unfaulty product.

Any luxury product in that price region could be expected to work at least within specs. We are talking about a heavy moded speaker which distincts itself from the mass production model not only by the modification but by its price. If I bought Rolls Royce than I would expect the company to have a quality control inspection plan to assure that every product that leaves the factory works flawlessly. If that may not being happen for some reasons, at least the local dealer should check before delivery to the customer that it works properly. In your case, it seems that both have failed in delivering an unfaulty product.
    Uh-uh...
    Craig

Listening Room:

"walter" has a grudge against Shindo and Keith at A23. No sure why. I would ignore is opinion as it seems to me he is just trying do do damage to both brands.

Walter acts like a ....
    Chris

Garrard 301, SME 2012r, EMT TSD15, A23 T2 Hommage SUT, Shindo Montille, Shindo Aurieges, Shindo ICs and Auditorium Speaker Cables, Auditorium A23 Hommage 755a Speakers.

"Cucumber_jones" has a grudge against Shindo and Keith at A23. No sure why. I would ignore is opinion as it seems to me he is just trying do do damage to both brands.

How do you know about other peoples behaves hundreds miles away from you and never met personally?
    Isnt this all obscure speculation from your side?

Why do you always react personally offending to other forum members when someone is critical with "your" Shindo brand?

I'll tell you something. You have become personally identified so much with this brand, that it hurts when someone is critical to it.
    And thats what can be called a true Shindo- fanboy.

I suggest to ignore your opinion as it seems to me he is just trying do damage to both brands with his fanboy behaviour.

How about this, Chris? Are you the new forum master here on this board to advise other members how to behave?

But what is your criticism, Walter? If you have something specific to say about your experience with Shindo gear and or service, please explain in detail. Otherwise, you are just slandering Shindo with vague accusations. Given that this is the most micro of micro brands, with some amp productions in probably the single digits, and this is one of the only public sources of information about the brand, your comments can unfairly do significant damage.

For context, I’ve spent probably close to six figures with Shindo dealers. I have sold much of that gear. So I have significant “skin” in the game and an informed opinion. Am I a fan boy? Yes and no. I have had some criticisms of Shindo through my period of ownership, so I’m not going to say everything is perfect. That is only natural for a rational person. If you want to have a fair and open discussion about your experiences that is one thing. I’m sure that the reps don’t love that, but what can you do? If you sell expensive things, you have to accept criticism of your products and your service. although it seems contrary to prevailing hi-end audio tradition, the customer IS the one in charge and those guys selling the stuff are working for you and your business. You don’t owe them anything EXCEPT fairness and honesty in your dealings.

One thing I am a fan of is the level of service and degree of commitment from the Shindo representatives. From J. Halpern, Matt, Keith - they are all passionate about what they do and could certainly make more money by sacrificing their vision for the brand. They are professionals and unfounded criticism hurts them professionally. That’s not nice.

"Cucumber_jones" has a grudge against Shindo and Keith at A23. No sure why. I would ignore is opinion as it seems to me he is just trying do do damage to both brands.

How do you know about other peoples behaves hundreds miles away from you and never met personally?
    Isnt this all obscure speculation from your side?

Why do you always react personally offending to other forum members when someone is critical with "your" Shindo brand?

I'll tell you something. You have become personally identified so much with this brand, that it hurts when someone is critical to it.
    And thats what can be called a true Shindo- fanboy.

I suggest to ignore your opinion as it seems to me he is just trying do damage to both brands with his fanboy behaviour.

How about this, Chris? Are you the new forum master here on this board to advise other members how to behave?
    Uwe Seck, like I said. You seem to have an axe to grind. Not really sure why. Maybe you should find another brand to slander.
    Chris

Garrard 301, SME 2012r, EMT TSD15, A23 T2 Hommage SUT, Shindo Montille, Shindo Aurieges, Shindo ICs and Auditorium Speaker Cables, Auditorium A23 Hommage 755a Speakers.

Personal

Quote Originally Posted by Cucumber_jones View Post
    Uwe Seck, like I said. You seem to have an axe to grind. Not really sure why. Maybe you should find another brand to slander.
    Whos that guy?
    After sending me personal emails and not having received any replies from my side, now nothing but pure speculation comes to your mind?
    Again my question to you: Why do you always have to become offending on a personal level when it comes to objective criticism?
    You may know that your method trying to offend other forum members have been executed by the nazis as well. So you are not only intollerant and a fascist, you have proven to be a real nazi. Congratulations, Chris!

Because I am sick of watching you slander two brands I am a nazi? That is the funniest thing I have ever read. Nice work losing what ever credibility you may have had.
    Chris

I strongly pled to the forum hosts to remove you from this forum because you offended the forum rules many time by being personal indulgent to other forum members and are unable to tolerate different opinions from forum members. Instead, you try to kill other memebers by spreading speculative misinformations about them.
    You should post no longer here in this "friendliest forum on the internet". Your behaviour here is contrary to that statement and absolutely untolerable.

Just stop your slandering of shindo and a23. That’s the real issue here.
    Chris

You will be banned from this forum anyway. Must rub your cucumber anywhere else. Sorry for that phrase.

We will see. I can't see anywhere that I have been systematically writing posts to harm business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Chris

Audioshark

OK boys...let’s behave. Enough of the name calling.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Any Shindo 604 AlNiCo owners here?

Oh boy. the Shindo thread never changes.... Sigh...

I loved Shindo amps and pre .. still one of the top 3 best sounds I ever heard in my room with my Tannoy Westminster. They were singing like they made for each other. Well, All the Shindo dealer and distributor wasn't happy to hear about my find with their NON approved speakers matching with Shindo ....while Shindo in Japan saying it's perfectly fine with matching with my speakers ! .. Hahahaha ( Now I can laugh about it )

Anyway, Chris. Anything change on your set up? Do you still have the LM and Altec speakers?
    Paul

Discussion Board - Helpful Hints
    Netiquette - Remind students of proper “netiquette” - a respectful code of conduct when communicating online. Some netiquette tips:
    • Be very clear and stick to the point when writing posts
    • Check for spelling/grammar errors and do not use slang
    • Be respectful of others with appropriate choice of language
    • Challenge others, but avoid personal attacks
    • Be careful when using humor online – it can easily be misinterpreted

Discussion Board - Helpful Hints
    Netiquette - Remind students of proper “netiquette” - a respectful code of conduct when communicating online. Some netiquette tips:
    • Be very clear and stick to the point when writing posts
    • Check for spelling/grammar errors and do not use slang
    • Be respectful of others with appropriate choice of language
    • Challenge others, but avoid personal attacks
    • Be careful when using humor online – it can easily be misinterpreted

Perhaps you should give these rules a try "Walter".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Chris

Cucumber,
    maybe you are too dumb to realize what behaviour you are acting here. Acting as a true Shindo fanboy, who is intollerant to other forum members opinions and expectations. Playing here the little Nazi dictator who tries to disparage every people who has his own opinion, you have proven that already. So in fact its your reputation that degrades continually. But your cucumber will be banned anyway. The forum mods are already notified what kind of regime you are acting here.

Cucumber,
    maybe you are too dumb to realize what behaviour you are acting here. Acting as a true Shindo fanboy, who is intollerant to other forum members opinions and expectations. Playing here the little Nazi dictator who tries to disparage every people who has his own opinion, you have proven that already. So in fact its your reputation that degrades continually. But your cucumber will be banned anyway. The forum mods are already notified what kind of regime you are acting here.
    Walter you are truly a mental case. I suggest that you seek professional help. I fear it may be too late already.

Maybe also check a dictionary so see what a nazi is.
    Chris

What are u blathering bout, cucumber?

Okay. I have to step in. Please don’t ever again use the word or term “Nazi” or label a participant on an audio forum as a “Nazi.” I and am sure others find this reference and use of this term to be highly offensive for obvious reasons. I have close friends whose family members lost their lives in the Holocaust at the hands of the malevolent Nazi Regime. This is a hobby, for pete’s sake. Grow up, please!

I agree. Walter grow up!
    Chris

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Any Shindo 604 AlNiCo owners here?