Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Any Shindo 604 AlNiCo owners here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    While Smile, Jerome, and good ol' Schmitt certainly contributed color to this post, the comments were pretty antagonistic about these speakers. I certainly didn't want to leave Schmitt the last word...

My 604's arrived a few weeks ago. The first thing that struck me was that they were flat gorgeous. Everyone that has seen them loved the woodwork and finish. They've assumed a warm and commanding presence in the room. DIY? Not by a darned sight.

I burned them in for some 150 hours before hopping back on this thread, mainly using an old NAD amp and my DirectStream DAC. They initially sounded like crap. Flat. Just flat. Good lower frequencies, but oh-my-god flat.

Over time, they opened up and sound something like a good speaker, but only for a few hours before returning to crap. Yes, it made me a bit nervous.

The week my speakers arrived, my dealer had visited to help me set up the system and he left a Masseto to demo. It was a nice step up from the Aurieges. This week I took delivery of a near perfect used Vosne Romanee purchased from a fantastic guy on Audiogon. The VR was a another pretty dramatic improvement, just as the speakers finally began to open up. The NAD went in the storage room and the VR and Haut Brion have been playmates ever since.

I'll leave it at this for now. I have no regrets about getting the speakers. It's nirvana so, suck on that! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'M OUT OF HERE - SO LONG BITCHES!

Just kidding! (please don't ban me, Mike and Joe)

I really do love this system. I want to thank Brian and Bill for steering me (with confidence) in the right direction. I'll probably do a review once the speakers settle in a bit more. For now, the imaging, soundstage, sub woofer like bass, the tone, and holistic sound coming from these speakers is amazing. I'm very happy with them, even though they aren't fully burned in. For me, worth the cost.

Congrats! I love my 604's with the Vosne Romanee. If you start looking at amps, the Cortese is shockingly good with lots of sweetness and refinement. I upgraded recently to the Lafon's and that's a whole other level of otherworldliness.

Planning to move up to the field coil Latour's next then probably a Giscours. Then I'm done.

I'd just leave the speakers playing something with some bass while you're at work for a few weeks. They'll open up just fine.

I'm not able to see your pics. Which finish dos you go with?

I've got some ideas for the Latour's I'll be getting that are probably unconventional.

How long was the actual wait from the time you placed the order until delivery?

The whole system looks awesome. The room looks problematic though. All that glass behind the speakers can't be kind on he sound. Maybe some heavy curtains.

Next replace the demon with a Emt and a A23 sut and you will be in heaven.
    Chris

Garrard 301, SME 2012r, EMT TSD15, A23 T2 Hommage SUT, Shindo Montille, Shindo Aurieges, Shindo ICs and Auditorium Speaker Cables, Auditorium A23 Hommage 755a Speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by briguy View Post
    Congrats! I love my 604's with the Vosne Romanee. If you start looking at amps, the Cortese is shockingly good with lots of sweetness and refinement. I upgraded recently to the Lafon's and that's a whole other level of otherworldliness.

Planning to move up to the field coil Latour's next then probably a Giscours. Then I'm done.

I'd just leave the speakers playing something with some bass while you're at work for a few weeks. They'll open up just fine.

I'm not able to see your pics. Which finish dos you go with?

I've got some ideas for the Latour's I'll be getting that are probably unconventional.

How long was the actual wait from the time you placed the order until delivery?
    I ordered the speakers July 16 and they arrived October 29. Didn't hear much about the order until it had shipped.

I got the Pau Ferro finish. Due to their placement in the room, I asked for them to veneer the back. They did - apparently a first for Shindo. Given how nice they turned out, I'm sure it won't be the last. I'll post a picture below, but the backs are very nice.

We have a southwestern adobe home, but we have modern walnut cabinetry throughout the house (a rustic modern style house), and the speakers blend in perfectly. We have some De La Espada furniture which is known for a high level of woodwork (the sofa is one, although it was recently slipcovered due to cat damage) and the speakers are in the same class of fine furniture finish.

Congratulations on the the plan to get FC Latours! Holy cow! I don't even know all of the finishes available for Shindo speakers, but l'll be interested to see what finish you choose. Like you, I have certainly caught the bug for this stuff, but I'm going to hold for now. Those Latours should be amazing.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Craig

Listening Room:
    Shindo Vosne Romanee and Haut Brion, Shindo Alnico 604's, Fostex T90A's, slate Lenco TT, Schick tonearm, Bob's Devices 1311, PS Audio DirectStream, Naim CD5, Sonos, Shindo IC's and wire, WE wire
    On loan - in a buddy's man cave: Almarro a205a, Sonos, Rega Juras
    HT: McCormack MAP1 and HT3, Manaplaner CC2 and MC1's, REL, Cambridge DacMagic, Sonos

Quote Originally Posted by Cucumber_jones View Post
    The whole system looks awesome. The room looks problematic though. All that glass behind the speakers can't be kind on he sound. Maybe some heavy curtains.

Next replace the demon with a Emt and a A23 sut and you will be in heaven.
    Well, I've got an EMT TSD15, although a friend's son dragged it across my mat one day and bent the cantilever a bit, so it needs a trip to EMT for repair. My dealer suggested the T2 Homage too. At some point, I'll probably go there. The biggest improvement facing my modified Lenco is the need to tame some rumble, despite a new Peter Reinders bearing. Did you modify your Garrard?

Yes, the room is unusual for a listening room, but it has some excellent acoustic qualities to start with - solid mud walls with slightly rough finish plaster (not diamond smooth which would reflect), wood ceiling, and even the concrete floors. The speakers are so commanding or flexible or something, that they sound fantastic without window treatments. The horns are directional so I'm not getting lots of side wall reflections of the HF. Outside of the room, the HF sounds muffled - until I go sit in front of the 604's again.
    Still, I ordered curtain rods and today the linen curtains should be ready for the glass door (front wall) and the window behind the rear wall position. I hope to have all curtains up today. That should help tame HF reflections. The sofa and rug help a lot with this. Also, my ceiling is wood "viga" beams and planks, and it does an amazing job of absorbing HF reflections and also LF too.

Between the speakers and the glass door is a passageway and the two openings allow LF sounds to escape. This is important because the rest of the room is mud adobe walls (with concrete floors) and the LF reinforcement is unreal. The glass door helps with LF too, because because it allows LF to pass through without reflecting back into the room - keeps the LF sounds fast and effortless. All the more remarkable that these speakers sound like two subwoofers are in the room too. I'm surprised by the LF response which is much stronger than I'd imagined.
    Craig

Listening Room:
    Shindo Vosne Romanee and Haut Brion, Shindo Alnico 604's, Fostex T90A's, slate Lenco TT, Schick tonearm, Bob's Devices 1311, PS Audio DirectStream, Naim CD5, Sonos, Shindo IC's and wire, WE wire
    HT: McCormack MAP1 and HT3, Manaplaner CC2 and MC1's, REL, Cambridge DacMagic, Sonos

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Bongo, thanks for sharing. Great looking pics. Gorgeous Shindo system. I love the Shindo sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mike!
    Craig

Listening Room:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Craig, Love your system. I'm so glad it met your expectation. Enjoy it in good health.

I also loved my Shindo gear (VR,CC80,Montille CV391,Aurigies and Mr.T ) when I had them. I would still have them if I didn't have any issue with the dealer and distributor.

Keep us posted.
    Thanks Paul - I may open another thread to describe them from unboxing through the break-in.
    Craig

Listening Room:

Quote Originally Posted by Loop4fun View Post
    Craig, They are gorgeous! Congratulations! I'd love to hear them.
    Thanks Bill, and thanks again for the input. Of course you are welcome to visit if you're in the area!
    Craig

Listening Room:

I ordered the speakers July 16 and they arrived October 29. Didn't hear much about the order until it had shipped.

I got the Pau Ferro finish. Due to their placement in the room, I asked for them to veneer the back. They did - apparently a first for Shindo. Given how nice they turned out, I'm sure it won't be the last. I'll post a picture below, but the backs are very nice.

We have a southwestern adobe home, but we have modern walnut cabinetry throughout the house (a rustic modern style house), and the speakers blend in perfectly. We have some De La Espada furniture which is known for a high level of woodwork (the sofa is one, although it was recently slipcovered due to cat damage) and the speakers are in the same class of fine furniture finish.

Congratulations on the the plan to get FC Latours! Holy cow! I don't even know all of the finishes available for Shindo speakers, but l'll be interested to see what finish you choose. Like you, I have certainly caught the bug for this stuff, but I'm going to hold for now. Those Latours should be amazing.

I see the pics now. Looks fantastic.

Funnily, I was just writing Matt to see if the rear of the Latour's can be veneered. Looks like the answer is yes, which is fantastic. How much extra did it cost to do the rears?

As much as I love the Pau Ferra finish, I might go in a slightly different direction to fit the aesthetics in my room. I also have this idea for getting the speakers finished to kinda match a the tobacco sunburst finish you'd find on a Les Paul, but still toying with the eye.

I wish I had thought of that! The back of my PL is black.
    Bill

Shindo Giscours
    Shindo Western Electric 300b
    Shinoo Petite Latour (FC)
    AMG Viella V12 Etna (Erodion) and Teatro (Bob's Sky @ 1:20)
    Lumin S1

Devialet 200
    Aries
    Harbeth C7

Congrats on your 604's Craig. They look gorgeous, and I'm sure they sound wonderful. We have to get you a rack ? (-:

Quote Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
    Congrats on your 604's Craig. They look gorgeous, and I'm sure they sound wonderful. We have to get you a rack ? (-:
    Eventually, that might be a good idea. The table is old pine - a WPA table from the 30's. It is nice and stout. I had a cabinet company that does work for me create a bottom shelf out of dense hard plywood - maple, I think. I don't have any way of knowing the difference between this setup and a rack, but it sounds good to me.
    Craig

Listening Room:

I wish I had thought of that! The back of my PL is black.
    You know, my dealer said that when Ken was alive, he refused to veneer the backs. I didn't know that, and I asked if they could do it having recalled seeing ones that were painted black. I think that this is the first pair with veneered backs. It cost a few grand extra, but they certainly look like fully finished furniture.
    Craig

Listening Room:

Quote Originally Posted by briguy View Post
    I see the pics now. Looks fantastic.

Funnily, I was just writing Matt to see if the rear of the Latour's can be veneered. Looks like the answer is yes, which is fantastic. How much extra did it cost to do the rears?

As much as I love the Pau Ferra finish, I might go in a slightly different direction to fit the aesthetics in my room. I also have this idea for getting the speakers finished to kinda match a the tobacco sunburst finish you'd find on a Les Paul, but still toying with the eye.

Brian - the veneers were $1800 extra ($900 per) with the Pau Ferro. I love the idea of getting innovative with the veneer! Can't wait to see that.
    Craig

Listening Room:

Brian - the veneers were $1800 extra ($900 per) with the Pau Ferro. I love the idea of getting innovative with the veneer! Can't wait to see that.
    That's not too bad. I wonder why Ken refused to veneer the rear of the speakers. Seems pretty logical, especially at this price point.

Very nice job !
    Congrats !

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
    Very nice job !
    Congrats !

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
    Thanks Jerome! They continue to break in, alternating between being shouty with not much HF response or sparkle to where they open up nicely for a few hours. Then they go back again. Yippie. Jonathan told my dealer that they'd take a while to sound their best. I think they are over 200 or so hours by now - he was right.

In other news, I repositioned the system against the former back wall, which is solid adobe. Chris would be pleased. Curtains are up on the sliding glass wall and the front wall window, so reflections are nicely muted. It's a better listening position - more in the room and not near a rear wall. The whole thing works better and I have more control over LF response, mainly by adjusting the speakers' turn-in. Strange, huh? No nasty LF nodes. Also, with the speakers closer to the amp, I ordered Shindo speaker cables. I attached a picture - the Haut Brion is in for a checkup, so the Sophia Electrics drive the 604's for now.

Craig

Listening Room:

What a beautiful room !
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Thanks Jerome. By the way, my heart goes out to you and your countrymen and countrywomen.
    Craig

Listening Room:

Audioshark

Thanks Jerome! They continue to break in, alternating between being shouty with not much HF response or sparkle to where they open up nicely for a few hours. Then they go back again. Yippie. Jonathan told my dealer that they'd take a while to sound their best. I think they are over 200 or so hours by now - he was right.

In other news, I repositioned the system against the former back wall, which is solid adobe. Chris would be pleased. Curtains are up on the sliding glass wall and the front wall window, so reflections are nicely muted. It's a better listening position - more in the room and not near a rear wall. The whole thing works better and I have more control over LF response, mainly by adjusting the speakers' turn-in. Strange, huh? No nasty LF nodes. Also, with the speakers closer to the amp, I ordered Shindo speaker cables. I attached a picture - the Haut Brion is in for a checkup, so the Sophia Electrics drive the 604's for now.

Beautiful room. Gorgeous setup. I would love to hear this.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

The room is looking good! How are the 604's working out for you?
    Chris

Garrard 301, SME 2012r, EMT TSD15, A23 T2 Hommage SUT, Shindo Montille, Shindo Aurieges, Shindo ICs and Auditorium Speaker Cables, Auditorium A23 Hommage 755a Speakers.

Chris,
    I think that I'd like to do a review of the 604's at some point. It took quite a while for them to burn-in, but they started hitting their stride consistently last week.

In my listening room, they produce a sound that is a beguiling mix of meaty and delicate. They convey wonderful tones. They create a huge soundstage and, with them placed as far apart as the room will permit, they image like crazy. Voices and instruments that occupy the mid and high frequencies tend to nestle nicely within a larger sound field of lower frequency sounds that really fills the room. The system has amazing drive, but it also sounds very detailed (in the HiFi sense), and some tracks create a very realistic sense of space or venue. I've also found that spreading the speakers out and moving the listening seat back as far as possible helps separate the instruments and sounds in more dense music. In short, they are really wonderful.

I meant to respond earlier. It was a crazy January for me. Among other things, my 23 year old son and his mom (my ex-wife) traveled to Cuba and on the first day, his appendix ruptured, requiring surgery. Luckily Laurel was an ER doc and they were with a group of doctors, so he had proper supervision. Unfortunately, the lack of medicine, post operative care, and (for some reason) food, led to his condition worsening, necessitating a medical evacuation by air ambulance to Houston. We stayed in Houston until he recovered enough to return to Portland, where he lives. Thankfully he's recovering well.
    Craig

Listening Room:

Craig- Wish you all the best with your son. Sounds like it was a nightmare, which thankfully worked out.

Thank you. He's doing well. My ex wife had to fight to get them to operate and then fight again for basic care - antibiotics and IV fluids. Everything paid for in cash to the hospital. He lost 30 pounds in 5 days and looked like a POW when he returned, but Laurel saved his life.
    Craig

Listening Room:

Chris,
    I think that I'd like to do a review of the 604's at some point. It took quite a while for them to burn-in, but they started hitting their stride consistently last week.

In my listening room, they produce a sound that is a beguiling mix of meaty and delicate. They convey wonderful tones. They create a huge soundstage and, with them placed as far apart as the room will permit, they image like crazy. Voices and instruments that occupy the mid and high frequencies tend to nestle nicely within a larger sound field of lower frequency sounds that really fills the room. The system has amazing drive, but it also sounds very detailed (in the HiFi sense), and some tracks create a very realistic sense of space or venue. I've also found that spreading the speakers out and moving the listening seat back as far as possible helps separate the instruments and sounds in more dense music. In short, they are really wonderful.

I meant to respond earlier. It was a crazy January for me. Among other things, my 23 year old son and his mom (my ex-wife) traveled to Cuba and on the first day, his appendix ruptured, requiring surgery. Luckily Laurel was an ER doc and they were with a group of doctors, so he had proper supervision. Unfortunately, the lack of medicine, post operative care, and (for some reason) food, led to his condition worsening, necessitating a medical evacuation by air ambulance to Houston. We stayed in Houston until he recovered enough to return to Portland, where he lives. Thankfully he's recovering well.
    Oh my god. I am so sorry to hear this. I was always under the impression that the medical system in CUBA was good.

I am glad to hear your speakers are working to your satisfaction. I should have some mast muster made crossovers for my 604 to install this weekend. I will be interested to hear how they sound.

I am very pleased with my 604 (sadly not Shindo though).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Chris

Oh my god. I am so sorry to hear this. I was always under the impression that the medical system in CUBA was good.

I am glad to hear your speakers are working to your satisfaction. I should have some mast muster made crossovers for my 604 to install this weekend. I will be interested to hear how they sound.

I am very pleased with my 604 (sadly not Shindo though).

Chris,

Would you post a pic of your 604 speakers please ?
    First horn or Mantaray one ?

Chris,

Would you post a pic of your 604 speakers please ?
    First horn or Mantaray one ?
    Here is a photo of the 604E in 612 cabinets the day I got them. They are now in a different room. This was temporary to see how they sounded.

Chris

I like the design of the front plate.
    Which 604 driver do you use ?
    Stunning dog BTW !
    He seems to be an audiophile.

I like the design of the front plate.
    Which 604 driver do you use ?
    Stunning dog BTW !
    He seems to be an audiophile.
    Ha, yes my dog Winston is a big music fan. He loves it when we play music - he actually listens!

Those are Altec 612 studio monitor cabinets with Aletc 604E drivers. They look like this.

My speakers came from a recording studio where they were used for mastering records for many years. Prior to that they were used in a record pressing plant. These were very popular cabinets for studio mastering as see here.

New crossover from werner jagusch will be installed this weekend.
    Chris

That is very cool Chris !
    Thanks a lot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454035895.267288.jpg

Crossover soon to be installed.
    Chris

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454035895.267288.jpg

Crossover soon to be installed.
    Crossovers look sweet! I'll be over on Sunday morning for a listen. Make sure you have them installed and the espresso machine on!
    DALE

Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    and Auditorium A23 cables.
    Second system: Accuphase E-280, B & W CWM7.3 S2, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

Sounds like a plan dale.
    Chris

Any excuse for me to go for a drive!
    DALE

Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    Second system: Accuphase E-280, B & W CWM7.3 S2, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

Drywall will be ready and waiting...
    Chris

I thought you did that last weekend?
    DALE

Chris,
    Those speakers are awesome! I can't believe that you found something like that - vintage cabinets and so much history. I'd really like to hear your system. I think that I missed details about your crossover. Who is making it for you?

Those casters are super practical - really useful. Fellow Shindo owner, Steve from Santa Fe, is coming over for a listen Friday afternoon. I moved my system into my living room because it is so superior to my listening room acoustically. It made me realize that I need to build wood platforms with casters for my speakers (and maybe one for my equipment table) to make the move easier and more secure when I want to have people over for listening sessions.

Looking forward to hearing more from you about your new babies.

The living room with furniture thrown aside:
    Craig

Listening Room:

Craig, Be sure and share Steve's impressions. He has been my role model for some years in putting my system together. I almost went with the Pass 30.8's after Jack's review, but went with the WE 300s since that was my goal from day one. He did go with the 30.8s. Plus he will give great feedback.
    Bill

Shindo Giscours
    Lumin S1

Devialet 200
    Aries
    Harbeth C7

Shindo 300b or Pass? How is that even a choice?! I don't mean that how you think. I'm sure that Pass is wonderful. But the two seem like they could not be more different.

Quote Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
    Shindo 300b or Pass? How is that even a choice?! I don't mean that how you think. I'm sure that Pass is wonderful. But the two seem like they could not be more different.

Kev, That's exactly why I went with the WE300B. But, Stephen moved from the GM70s to the Pass 30.8 and Jack Roberts also moved from his Wavac 300B with WE tubes to the Pass 30.8. Apparently the 30.8 is really special, but I've never heard it.

I also was worried if I waited, Shindo might either quit it's production or drastically raise the price based on what's happened with the scarcity of tubes. Not to mention price. I purchased a spare set of NOS 300B tubes from the early 60's that REALLY sound good, but I want to at least use the tubes that came with it until my warranty runs out. (Just in case) Those two tubes alone were more expensive than the Pass 30.8.

So I agree wholeheartedly with your comment which is why I went with them, but it was a choice Stephen made with an all Shindo system similar to mine. And I respect his opinion. I don't plan to ever change. These were my final destination amps. And, they are amazing.
    Bill

Shindo Giscours
    Lumin S1

Devialet 200
    Aries
    Harbeth C7

Chris,
    Those speakers are awesome! I can't believe that you found something like that - vintage cabinets and so much history. I'd really like to hear your system. I think that I missed details about your crossover. Who is making it for you?

Those casters are super practical - really useful. Fellow Shindo owner, Steve from Santa Fe, is coming over for a listen Friday afternoon. I moved my system into my living room because it is so superior to my listening room acoustically. It made me realize that I need to build wood platforms with casters for my speakers (and maybe one for my equipment table) to make the move easier and more secure when I want to have people over for listening sessions.

Looking forward to hearing more from you about your new babies.

The living room with furniture thrown aside:
    Thanks I am really happy with them. That photo is what I first got them and tried them in my main system. They are now in my second system (which is a work in progress). The casters are super helpful but the must detract from the sound in some way. I have however read that getting them off the ground is good so maybe the casters help!?!

The crossovers are from Werner jagush (mast mutter). Thy have really transformed the speakers. They are much more balanced now. I am quite shocked how good these are. Now I have a small glimpse at what the shindo 604s must be like.

Your photo did not work...
    Chris

Any Shindo 604 AlNiCo owners here?

Kev, That's exactly why I went with the WE300B. But, Stephen moved from the GM70s to the Pass 30.8 and Jack Roberts also moved from his Wavac 300B with WE tubes to the Pass 30.8. Apparently the 30.8 is really special, but I've never heard it.

I also was worried if I waited, Shindo might either quit it's production or drastically raise the price based on what's happened with the scarcity of tubes. Not to mention price. I purchased a spare set of NOS 300B tubes from the early 60's that REALLY sound good, but I want to at least use the tubes that came with it until my warranty runs out. (Just in case) Those two tubes alone were more expensive than the Pass 30.8.

So I agree wholeheartedly with your comment which is why I went with them, but it was a choice Stephen made with an all Shindo system similar to mine. And I respect his opinion. I don't plan to ever change. These were my final destination amps. And, they are amazing.
    I haven't heard the Pass, so I'm obviously not qualified to comment on the sound. I have, however, heard that several people in the Shindo group have commented favorably. Frankly, I'm suspicious. No one would listen to this if Roberts hadn't reviewed it. I have no idea why anyone who is happy with an established system would make a change in response to his reviews. His system transition over the years makes no sense to me at all. He is on the road to hifi hell as Peter Q would say. Bouncing from sound to sound, approach to approach, with no direction. No sense of goals or priorities. For the love of god he uses the headings "treble, midrange and bass" for his reviews! What is he listening for? HOW is he listening. His room! His speakers!! Problems abound.

At the end of the day, I am simply not a good audiophile. I recognize this. I enjoy building systems (not only an all Shindo system) as much as the next guy, but my approach is different. I suspect that one could replace Pass in this situation with probably anything. One hears a change in the zip, tizz and boom. One sees it is endorsed by jack. An improvement is assumed.

Again, maybe the Pass is actually better than a Shindo amp in an all Shindo system. I'm obviously suspicious. Of at least the claim, but also the listening habits and priorities of one making the claim.

I realize that my thoughts here aren't fully flushed out. Hopefully I can do that in the future. Note that this has nothing to do with support of an all Shindo only approach. No. This is something more fundamental as an approach to the hobby and listening.

You are better at putting things into an intended context than I, and I agree with you. I wanted the all Shindo synergy and I am not interested in trying to modify this and that for incremental changes that I really couldn't probably tell whether better or not. Stephen. on the other hand, has been very Shindo consistent for a long time. It surprised me when he moved to the Pass. I don't enjoy and don't have the patience to A/B equipment.

I have faith in what I've heard at Matt's, and don't want to get off that track. Plus he has always taken good care of me. The Giscours, WE 300b, with the PL are my final system for this lifetime. Sources may change slightly. But, for now, I'm happy with them, too.

If I make any changes, it will be to the room layout. Not equipment.

I'm pretty much in line with your perspective.
    Bill

Shindo Giscours
    Lumin S1

Devialet 200
    Aries
    Harbeth C7

I'm looking forward to hearing Stephen's system soon. He still has field coil PLs, the 301, and the Giscours (and a Mr. T). We scheduled a listening session at his house for this Friday, but it's postponed because he decided to change his setup.

He came to my house for a listen last Friday. I'd moved the equipment to my living room which is about 25'x40'. I never got things dialed in and later realized that I needed to replace the Haut Brion's 6AW8A tubes - one was microphonic and ringing with no music playing. However, Stephen actually heard how the ringing affected the music. He described it as a bloom. He didn't know about the tube problem. I really couldn't discern it in the music. Good ears.

After he left, I replaced the tubes and nixed the ring/bloom. This cleaned up the sound noticeably. Shindo gear sounds so nice that it can be easy to overlook subtle but significant artifacts when they happen.

Still, the sound in the big room was rich and atmospheric since the speakers had room to breathe. Stephen was intrigued and decided to try the same, so he postponed the listening session until he gets things set. Knowing him, I'm sure that the X 30.8 is a wonderful amp.

Now my system is back in the listening room, the 604's eight feet apart (drivers on center) and toed in 15 degrees or so. It's more of a near field thing, and the 604's are good at this. Things are more focused than ever and the HB gives them wonderful impact in the midrange and low frequencies. Low level listening is really a pleasure too. Stephen loaned my his Mr. T. I haven't AB'd things much (against my wiremold strip), but it seems to light the sound up a bit and also give a bit more impact while making things sound a more effortless.
    Craig

Listening Room:

Last edited by joeinid; March 20, 2016 at 06:57 PM.

Had a great time at Craig's listening to his 604's. Although there was a tube issue Craig addressed in his last post on this thread, I was very taken with the particular magic of these speakers. They effortlessly filled a large room with the typically-hard-to-nail-down but immersive Shindo sound. They were coherent and involving in a way those who own Shindo speakers/gear know so well. It was a great pleasure.

A word to Bill about my letting a non-Shindo amp into my all Shindo system: I was leaning towards going for the 300B Ltd Shindo amplifier for some time and tried the Pass XA30.8 as a lark, honestly never thinking I would keep it (I got a great deal and knew I could pass it on (ok pun intended). But the reason I even tried it is: I knew I could get more out of my Petite Latours in the bass department. I knew because once when my GM 70's were waiting for a tube replacement I inserted a 40W solid state amp called a Studio IV that I had kicking around. It took a hold of the bass in a completely new and gripping way. I've heard the 300B Ltd. does this as well. Anyway, that's what led me to try the Pass in the first place, thinking I could get that bass presence and control along with some of the GM 70's SE magic (according to Jack R.). Does the Pass do everything the GM 70's did and more? No, I have given up a degree of ambient air around acoustic instruments. But my hunch is your 300B Ltd. has all the ambient air and bass presence/control that one could ask for. If I take another step on my audio journey, it will be in that direction I'm sure. Right now I'm still enthralled with my heretic Shindo/Pass synergy.
    Shindo Petite Latour speakers, Shindo WE Giscours pre-amp, Shindo 301 Record Player, Auditorium 23 Hommage 1 SUT, Pass Labs XA 30.8 amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC, Music Vault M7 music server, Entreq Siller Tellus, WW Platinum Starlight AES/EBU, WW Balanced Platinum 7 (pre to amp); Hi Fi cables everywhere else, Stillpoint Ultra 5's under speakers, Stillpoints Ultra SS under rack, Stillpoint Aperture room acoustics panels (5)

Super Moderator

The "little" Pass amps are great. So glad you are happy. I miss my XA60.5's and still want to try the 60.8's at some point.

So much gear, so little time (or money actually ).
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmatazz View Post
    Had a great time at Craig's listening to his 604's. Although there was a tube issue Craig addressed in his last post on this thread, I was very taken with the particular magic of these speakers. They effortlessly filled a large room with the typically-hard-to-nail-down but immersive Shindo sound. They were coherent and involving in a way those who own Shindo speakers/gear know so well. It was a great pleasure.

A word to Bill about my letting a non-Shindo amp into my all Shindo system: I was leaning towards going for the 300B Ltd Shindo amplifier for some time and tried the Pass XA30.8 as a lark, honestly never thinking I would keep it (I got a great deal and knew I could pass it on (ok pun intended). But the reason I even tried it is: I knew I could get more out of my Petite Latours in the bass department. I knew because once when my GM 70's were waiting for a tube replacement I inserted a 40W solid state amp called a Studio IV that I had kicking around. It took a hold of the bass in a completely new and gripping way. I've heard the 300B Ltd. does this as well. Anyway, that's what led me to try the Pass in the first place, thinking I could get that bass presence and control along with some of the GM 70's SE magic (according to Jack R.). Does the Pass do everything the GM 70's did and more? No, I have given up a degree of ambient air around acoustic instruments. But my hunch is your 300B Ltd. has all the ambient air and bass presence/control that one could ask for. If I take another step on my audio journey, it will be in that direction I'm sure. Right now I'm still enthralled with my heretic Shindo/Pass synergy.
    Altec drivers are not different from most drivers : they will respond very differently in the bass with a good SS amp compared to tubes. That is the obvious advantage of SS amps over tubes, and it applies also to HE drivers : the bass is tighter, more controlled and with better dynamics with SS.
    That is why I keep the Nagra MSA with my Altec speakers.

Theres not only one class of Altec drivers. Altec has build drivers that were different in many ways due to the fact that they have a long production history.
    To achieve a high quality in bass with tubes may be more complex and a little more effort than with SS, but the qualities that are achievable are much more worth than that achievable with SS. Its not comparable in any ways.

Stephen's system is really impressive. The Giscours and X30.8 pair very well in a hybrid way that you might expect - smooth, controlled, detailed. He also has Townshend super tweeters sitting on his Petite Latour field coils, and this contributed to an uncanny sense of space and atmosphere on certain recordings. I'll not soon forget the startling texture and tone of the vintage Starker chello record he spun on his Shindo 301 TT. Never heard anything like it.

My own 604's are now finally broken in and showing their own considerable abilities. After two years of the Haut Brion being in repair or not having the right speakers, and recently having burned in a new set of tubes, I'm finally able to hear what it's capable of. It's a wonderful match for the 604's, which convey amazing detail and a huge sound field, but also incredible tone and liquidity. The Milt Jackson's vibraphone on his recording of "These Foolish Things" is so realistic and lit from within - it really sounds like he's in the room.
    Craig

Listening Room:

Here you go. Horn search solved!

https://13audio.com/comission-build/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team