Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Hegel HD12 DAC

Audioshark

Hegel HD12 DAC

The new HD12 DAC is a True-DSD64 (native) DAC, with an on board digital preamp and a high quality headphone output.

Key features of this new DAC are an exceptionally low noise floor of -145dB and equally low jitter levels. In these respects it represents the best DAC we have developed to date.

Jitter wise, the largest improvement is reducing the level of “skirting” – resulting in a very much more precise sound. Together with the low noise levels, the HD12 can paint a soundstage like you never heard before. These are traits that also benefit the headphone output greatly.

The HD12 also supports all common files up to 24/192kHZ (including 88.2/176.4) on all inputs, in addition to true DSD64. A brand new USB interface / implementation makes this all possible.

On the input side, the HD12 has 1 USB, 2 optical and one RCA input. There are both RCA and true balanced analog outputs, and these can be used together if you want to add a subwoofer.

The remote control (included) can be used to control all functions of the DAC, as well as control other Hegel components.

Available in the US Warehouse now

Price: $1400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Hegel HD12 DAC

They should have enabled DSD128.

Good price though.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    They should have enabled DSD128.

Good price though.
    For all 13 albums?

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I have 20+ such albums and maybe 4 DSD256 albums , but in case you don't know what's hip.... Upsampling on the fly to high rate DSD is the new black. HQPlayer and JRiver can do it. For the hipsters, DSD64 is passe!!!

HQPlayer also has a convolution engine to do DSP with DSD, avoiding PCM altogether.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

So Mike, have you done a demo yet? It has astounding specs for the price!!
    NORMAN

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    So Mike, have you done a demo yet? It has astounding specs for the price!!
    Nope. Would like to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, the noise floor specs are impressive.
    NORMAN

I talked to my dealer, and I think I'm going to pick one up
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Looking forward to your impressions.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    Congrats CD

I can't wait to hear your opinion it, as you know, I love Hegel gear.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Guys...it appears I may not be able to keep my recently acquired Hegel HD12 DAC...and I thought I'd share.

I just received the Aurender N100 streamer. I was somewhat worried, using these 2 units together...as I saw a blurb on the Hegel, that while it will decode DSD; it requires a driver to do so (this is the exact verbiage, from the HD12 lit DSD capability: DSD64 (on PC only. Mac drivers will launch spring 2015).

Well...the Aurender, as a "stand-alone" player, with I'm sure some kind of Linux core for its OS; doesn't have the capability to accept and load the driver, that would be needed to play DSD with the Hegel (I don't think...which is why I say, I may not be able to keep it. I'll talk to Aurender support, and see if there isn't someway to hack or FTP to the unit...and load the driver).

If that's the case, I will have to let it go; as the Oppo HA-1 does work. It's a shame too, because it was definitely a keeper (and I was looking forward, to setting-up the HA-1...in my first, dedicated headphone rig). Biggest thing that struck me about the HD12, is this:

Sound - New research in the digital domain has resulted in extremely low jitter levels. In particular, great improvements have been made to “skirting”, a distortion that reduces the timing and precision in the sound. You hear it very well in drums and dynamic elements of the music. Another large improvement comes in the analog part of the D/A-Converter. We are talking about a noise floor of -145dB. It means the HD12 brings out so much more of those tiny details that suck you in to the music.

A noise floor, of -145db...is a figure that just leaps out at you! And it is sooo dead quiet; well...just like the Hegel guys say. You catch so many little, micro cues...that lead to a very exciting listening experience. Also...while I'll still prefer, a good, active pre-amp in my chain; I did try the HD 12 as "pre-amp"...straight into my Pass XA-30.8. And I don't know if it's the HD12 is that good, or there was just good synergy with the Pass (in terms of output/input impedance, and/or the fact that the class-A Pass has a nice, warm presentation...that lends itself well, to a passive pre-amp, like what comes directly from a DAC); but it didn't sound too bad at all

Literally, I received it a week or 2 ago; it's been playing everything I threw at it...before the Aurender arrived, and I started playing DSD. And keep in mind...it's not that the HD12 won't play DSD; not at all. You just need to be streaming from a PC or Mac (please keep in mind...as the included blurb says; the Mac driver won't be coming until "Spring" 2015)...or a unit, that can accept and load the driver; which is how most guys are doing it anyway (or for those of you, who haven't embraced...or have any DSD files to begin with; you need not worry one little bit about it, lol).

As new, as as-new gets. If I do need to move it, and someone here wants it; $300 off msrp...$1100 for a fellow Shark.
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hegel HD12 DAC