Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Owner review of Hegel H80 integrated amplifier

So I decided to do a review on the Hegel H80 after 3 months of ownership. How did I get here? While attending the Montreal audio show in late March I stumbled upon the Hegel H80 in a number of different speaker manufacturers systems. In each case the Hegel was used primarily for two reasons a) For the manufacturer to point out that you do not need to spend excessive amounts of money on amplification to make their respective speakers sound good and B) Simplicity – being an integrated amplifier with a built in DAC featuring multiple different digital inputs it makes for an easy, clean setup to promote the speakers. I was proof that using the Hegel H80 was a good choice – I could not believe what $2K of amplification sounded like on $ 5-10 even 15K speakers. The Hegel consistently delivered a sound that would have you believe it is an amplifier costing 3x – 5x more than it does. I knew after listening to the H80 at the show I had to have one.

My Hegel arrived with that very new smell still present. Like most quality integrated amplifiers it is of sufficient heft given the large toroidal power supply and all metal chassis. A few things upon first inspection is that while it is of standard width the depth is somewhat less than some components making it more rack friendly and it also has added height due to the three feet being over length to enhance ventilation and component cooling – (which seems to work as the Hegel does not “run hot”). Inputs in my view are finally in the modern era – meaning NO cassette inputs/rec.outputs and three analog inputs (one is balanced XLR) but most importantly (for me at least) 5 digital inputs. There are also very good quality speaker outputs directly in the middle on the rear – a nice touch as this allows speaker & source cables to be routed away from the power input on the far right corner – in some integrateds there can be conflicts due to poor location of the power and speaker terminals. The final point of interest is that the power on/off switch is located on the bottom front corner underneath the face plate. Hegel claims to do this in order to free up more front panel space for a larger front display. Given the taller feet this location works better than you might think and is easier to reach then rear mounted power switches.

How does it work? One thing to note about the Hegel H80 is that it is either on or off – there is no “standby” – meaning the unit must be physically shut on/off with the power button (on the unit) and cannot be powered on/off with the supplied remote control - this to some could be a minor inconvenience (PS my remote control arrived with a dead new battery that led to a few anxious moments before discovering the it was the battery and not remote that was DOA). The basic operation is very simple – one knob controls input source selection and the other knob controls volume – the blue only display will show source and volume level. The knobs are very smooth operating and are not the type that give decisive clicks between settings – some may like this others may not. The supplied el cheapo plastic remote (a more expensive metal version can be purchased separately) can also do all of these functions as well. One note on the volume – it is a 99 step attenuated with a digital display of the volume level however you will find that even on relatively efficient speakers you will need to be at least 40 for low level listening with 50-60 even 70 being more in the moderate range – I suspect for larger and more difficult to drive speakers you might find yourself wanting for Hegel’s larger & more powerful H300. Although rated by Hegel at 75 watts/ch into 8 ohms a Soundstage measurement test I found online rated the H80 to output 90.8 watts/channel in 8ohms and 135.8 watts/ch into 4 ohms – for some reason Hegel does not publish a 4 ohm rating

Misc. - While at the Montreal Audio show I met the Hegel Factory rep who explained some of the ideas about the H80 – for cost, consistency of sound & production efficiency Hegel uses one pre-amp section in all of its components however because the H80 costs less than Hegel stand-alone pre-amps Hegel does not provide separate pre-amp out/amp in connections on the rear so the H80 by design cannot be used as a stand-alone pre-amplifier. This was the same logic applied with the H80 onboard DAC – it is the same DAC as the stand alone Hegel HD11 (and can play 24 bit/192 kHz signals, via coaxial and optical inputs) but again cannot be used as a stand-alone dac/pre given lack of pre-outs on the rear. The same lack of pre-outs also means you cannot add more amplification – as the Hegel rep. explained the idea was to provide maximum value and given owners a taste of the “Hegel sound” but to add more power means upgrading to a larger and more expensive Hegel integrated like the H300 (or moving to Hegel separates) - I have to admit there is logic in Hegel’s thinking as I am already considering moving up to the Hegel H300

Sound? Sound is very subjective so I will not go too far down that road. Hegel, for those unfamiliar with the company, uses patented technology originally developed for the wireless cell phone industry. This patent is what Hegel calls “sound engine technology” and while I will not even attempt to understand the technical workings of it, the patent allows Hegel to boast a damping factor that exceeds 1000 – yes 1000 that is not a miss print. Suffice to say the “Hegel sound” must be heard to be appreciated – the “sound engine” patent has a way of voicing music that suggests you are listening to gear that is far more costly than it is. That is not to say that $2k for the Hegel H80 is a small amount of money however it is entry level to obtain the “Hegel Sound” that once you have heard, is in my view, a bargain

Audioshark

Re: Owner review of Hegel H80 integrated amplifier

Great review! Thanks for sharing. The H80 sounds like a winner and sounds like its tempting you to move up to the H300. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks for the review
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Super Moderator

Very nice review. My H30 is an amazing amp. I heard the H300 and loved it. That's why I have the H30. Congratulations.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Hegel is one brand of amps that far, far exceed their sound quality to cost ratio !

They're simply world class amps at real world prices. i would advise anyone seeking world class performance to audition this line of amps.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Hey guys ... My brother has just stepped into the wacky world of hi-end audio. He bought a pair of Sonus faber Venere 2.5 speakers (MSRP $2500) as the starting point after auditioning at our local Magnolia store.

He is thinking about trying out a Peachtree 125 ($1200)(I think that's the model) to anchor the system.

I was thinking stretch budget (or I assist) and reach for a H80.

Anyone have any experience with Hegel and Sonus faber??

There is a Hegel dealer here in town, he may have a H80 available for demo.

I will be giving him Transparent Music Wave Plus MM2 speaker cables to connect the integrated and speakers.

He will use a laptop as the source.

Audioshark

First, congrats to your Brother for joining the wacky world of hi-end audio!

I had an Hegel H30 with my STRADS. Excellent combination! Hegel has a clean crisp sweet sound that pairs well with SF.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Excellent! Thanks Mike!

Hegel and Sonus Faber is such an easy combo. Just do it.

JBLfan

It's always nice to read user reviews vs magazine reviews.

I know you stayed away from Sound comments, but would you mind at least listing some of the artists and tracks that you feel made this amp shine?

For me, too many reviewers never listen to anything I do so it's so hard to get a grip on whether I would like it or not based on those reviews.Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

I received my H80 a week ago and my decision was inspired by JBLFans review. I liek to mention a change in hardware: my Hegel has a Variable Line Level Output. I like to confirm that I find myself on some CD recordings - mostly classical - turning up the volume to 80+.
    If you have a bigger room or speakers that need more power, go for the H160. I am driving Elipson Planet L and it is a pleasure. It is a solid Amp and I am impressed by the "dark background" which I only new from Class D Amps.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum sisko, thank you so much for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team