Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: New Focus XDs

New Focus XDs

Who's exited for these and why?

I'm interested to see what the inputs are, and if it's worth buying a real preamp such as a Parasound P5 to go between my sources and the speakers.

Re: New Focus XDs

-1; I am not excited about these, in the least. Dyn seems to be one of the hi-end companies, that wants to tilt the market in this direction; just plug your phone in and listen. I don't get it.

It makes all the sense in the world, for some locations. I used to have a source and electronics in my Office; now I have KEF X-300As (and they sound awesome, for the price btw). But who's really looking, to give up all their kit? Be married to whatever crappy, .02 DAC is in this thing...a passive pre-amp, and god knows what class-D amp modules.

Sorry...I'm not trying to disparage a manufacture; Dynaudio speakers, are first-rate. So keep making speakers; what do they know about implementing DACs, and amps...and are you really going to trade it all in, for a pair of these?

IDK...I guess some people, might put them in the Living Room or something; no wires means a high WAF. I don't have a wife anymore...so I guess they're not for me
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    -1; I am not excited about these, in the least. Dyn seems to be one of the hi-end companies, that wants to tilt the market in this direction; just plug your phone in and listen. I don't get it.

It makes all the sense in the world, for some locations. I used to have a source and electronics in my Office; now I have KEF X-300As (and they sound awesome, for the price btw). But who's really looking, to give up all their kit? Be married to whatever crappy, .02 DAC is in this thing...a passive pre-amp, and god knows what class-D amp modules.

Sorry...I'm not trying to disparage a manufacture; Dynaudio speakers, are first-rate. So keep making speakers; what do they know about implementing DACs, and amps...and are you really going to trade it all in, for a pair of these?

IDK...I guess some people, might put them in the Living Room or something; no wires means a high WAF. I don't have a wife anymore...so I guess they're not for me
    Chris in case you forgot Dyn does know a little about amps (remember the Arbitor?). If I remember correctly the mono amps were about 200K. I think they only sold 4 or 5 pairs before getting out of that business about 6-8 years ago.

That said I love the idea of wireless self powered speakers. Especially like the Xeo3/4. Take them outside or in the garage etc without having to build a whole system. Just need a source and power where you want the music
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Quote Originally Posted by octadyndude View Post
    Chris in case you forgot Dyn does know a little about amps (remember the Arbitor?). If I remember correctly the mono amps were about 200K. I think they only sold 4 or 5 pairs before getting out of that business about 6-8 years ago.

That said I love the idea of wireless self powered speakers. Especially like the Xeo3/4. Take them outside or in the garage etc without having to build a whole system. Just need a source and power where you want the music
    Well George...I didn't see a smiley; so I'm not sure if your comment about the Arbiter, was tongue-in-cheek or not. IMO...it should be. As for the application of these kinds of speakers; doesn't like you and I disagree. Outside, or in the garage; sounds about right.

But I notice you didn't mention the listening room Plus...for the rumored price; are you really dropping, that kinda coin...for music, to tune-up your car to?
    CD

The DAC isn't a problem since the speakers have analog inputs. I gotta admit though, the idea of only having a preamp is quite appealing. The Parasound p5 is what I would seriously consider for an application like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    Well George...I didn't see a smiley; so I'm not sure if your comment about the Arbiter, was tongue-in-cheek or not. IMO...it should be. As for the application of these kinds of speakers; doesn't like you and I disagree. Outside, or in the garage; sounds about right.

But I notice you didn't mention the listening room Plus...for the rumored price; are you really dropping, that kinda coin...for music, to tune-up your car to?
    I was just mentioning the Arbiter because Dyn was into a pretty high end amp (just not at the right time). The fact that the self powered speakers have a class 'd' amp really does make sense to me (mainly for heat).

As far as price I would like to see a price sheet for the US (pricing can vary depending where on the globe you are at). Also for someone that wants a simple system (kit) that's 1 less piece to purchase. That should make up the price difference. Again I like the idea of wireless and self powered a lot more which is why I'm considering the Xeo series.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

What does Dynaudio know about amps, dsp, etc. quite possibly the last couple decades or so with our pro products has something to do with it? We have had a tremendous amount of engineering dedicated to DSP and amplified speakers over the last 20 plus years. The Focus XD's are utilizing not a class "D" amplifier which is analog but rather the digital version of the PWM amplifiers using the Pure Path chip set, the technology amplifies the output of the digital signal and uses DSP in the signal path to control any phasing issues, this is the reason why there is no D to A conversion. The amp is presenting a virtual analog sinewave to the drivers. The Focus XD uses the same amp technology that the Xeo does just more of it with 150 watts per driver, the same wireless capability using the Xeo Hub however the direct digital input on the amp gives you 24/192 capability, the analog input on the amp is actually converted to digital inside the amplifier.

Has anybody 'listened' to these speakers yet ?

I'm very interested in these XDs
    and/or the XEO 5 and 6.

Hmm...IDK; if you want powered speakers, with a studio pedigree...might I suggest PMC (you know, Professional Monitoring Company).

They have a "decent" client list, dont'cha think PMC Loudspeakers

Active | PMC Loudspeakers
    CD

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New Focus XDs