Quote Originally Posted by hoosiertom View Post
    Jonathan,

belated welcome to Audioshark... and a coffee aficiando to boot

All the best
    Tom SE MI
    Thanks Tom!

Re: Anyone Into Coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSectorA View Post
    To me coffee is like audiophilia, it's all in the details! It starts with the right coffee beans all the way to brew, you screw up one part and the experience is lost!
    LoL

I chose any from here, except Jablum:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=jama...2&ved=0CDsQsAQ
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

I really love coffee too. I'm more mainstream though. I order from Peets and use my burr grinder every morning, then brew it through my Technivorm Moccamaster.

My usual coffees are Aged Sumatra, Arabian Mocha Sanani.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    I really love coffee too. I'm more mainstream though. I order from Peets and use my burr grinder every morning, then brew it through my Technivorm Moccamaster.

My usual coffees are Aged Sumatra, Arabian Mocha Sanani.
    Just wondering, which model Technivorm Moccamaster do you have ?
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Hey Chris, it's a Clubline, with the regular carafe. They also make one with a thermos carafe. I've had it for over 10 yrs.,and it still makes the best coffee.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

In the Patrick Bowers series by Steven James he refers to it as "Charbucks" and says stuff like "Going to Starbucks for good coffee is like going to McDonalds for steak".

I got into roasting for economy. $5.50 lb green vs. $15 for 3/4 lb. roasted for my choice of single origin coffee bought from the guy that cupped it at the farm and bought it from the guy that grew and processed it. No middleman or coffee exchange. A hot air popper is akin to a fluidized bed and can do very nicely, but is also very time consuming at 4 oz. per batch. My $300 Behmoor paidout in 6 months and it does a pound in about 23 minutes vs 1 1/2 hrs. It has a catalytic converter but there's still too much smoke/smell to roast in the house, so I roast in the garage with the door open and run a fan.

The $9k Probat single drum sample roaster is considered by many to be the holy grail home roaster but it only does 3 oz. batches. It's really I was 1st told about the $1300 Huki 500 by a guy that has a Probat and wants a Huki because it offers more control than the Probat. For close to even money I'd give the Huki points for capacity over the 7 oz. Quest M3 and stick to a once a week roasting schedule.
    John

Main: TD 125 ll/Grace 707ll/Grace F9E/Soundsmith OCL Ruby/MP-P1; Dual CS 5000/Grado Gold/Emotiva XPS-1; Denon CDP; Emo USP1; Emo XPA-1L Monoblocks/Dahlquist DQ-10's; Sony TA-n55ES Bridged/Dahlquist 1W Sub
    Cube Dweller: MacBook Pro or iPod dock/Schiit Lyr/Yamaha HP-1

I'm still looking for a decent coffee brewer. The two that were listed on this thread received lots of horrible reviews.

Have you tried cryogenically treated beans roasted in a magnetically shielded/mechanically grounded roaster? A religious experience I tell you. You could never go back to bog standard coffee after that!
    Additionally the roasting pan should be graphene lined to bring out the subtle flavors that are hidden below the taste threshold , the olefactory floor, if you will.
    LoL
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I'm still looking for a decent coffee brewer. The two that were listed on this threads received lots of horrible reviews.
    This thread has taken on a life of it's own Which brewers are you referring to ??? What are your budget/criteria ?? Single cup, multiple cup ???
    If it's single cup a bodum french press does a great job.. Don't forget an electric kettle with a programmable thermostat... 195-205 degrees is the sweet spot
    a Barratza Virtuoso or Rocky Rancillo w/out a doser are two good choices and of course a gram scale for coffee weight
    Hope this helps,
    Tom

This thread has taken on a life of it's own Which brewers are you referring to ??? What are your budget/criteria ?? Single cup, multiple cup ???
    If it's single cup a bodum french press does a great job.. Don't forget an electric kettle with a programmable thermostat... 195-205 degrees is the sweet spot
    a Barratza Virtuoso or Rocky Rancillo w/out a doser are two good choices and of course a gram scale for coffee weight
    Hope this helps,
    Tom
    I was specifically referring to the Technivorm moccamaster and the Behmoor Brazen. The reviews on both of them are so bad they are almost hilarious. I already have a French Press, so I'm talking about buying a machine that can brew at least 4 cups of coffee. As for price, let's say $200-$400.

I was specifically referring to the Technivorm moccamaster and the Behmoor Brazen. The reviews on both of them are so bad they are almost hilarious. I already have a French Press, so I'm talking about buying a machine that can brew at least 4 cups of coffee. As for price, let's say $200-$400.
    8, 12 or 16 oz cups ?
    Should this brewer also keep the coffee warm ? Over what period of time ?

Mark. are you talking about the Technivorm ? I've had mine for over 10 yrs. without any problems. Our friends and my sister have them now also, and absolutely love them.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

The Technivorm makes very good coffee for a household drip. Gail's only, but big complaint about it is the rectangular water tube from the tank to the pot loses its chrome plating on the underside, and she has had that part replaced a few times.

The French Press makes good coffee but it is a pain in the ass to clean. It has no moving parts and you pour in measured water and coffee and stir. You brew for as long as you like with your choice of water temperature. You can't get simpler than that.

I like my Bloomfield commercial unit for everyday and party use and when I have the time to stand by the stove, I do it fully manual with my vintage stainless steel 75 year old Cory vacuum pot, which I think makes the very best coffee because all the water and all the coffee are combined at the same time and can be brewed for whatever amount of time you prefer with water that stays well into the 205 degree range (at sea level). You high altitude guys like in Denver Colo, will have trouble brewing with hot water because your water boils at 201 degrees, so the water delivered for brewing will be 10 degrees cooler (maybe 190 tops) than if you were at sea level. The vintage Silex is also a good vacuum pot. The automatic vacuum pot sold by Starbucks (if they still sell it) makes weak coffee because it doesn't allow the water in the pot to boil long enough before turning off, causing the decrease in vapor pressure to allow the coffee liquor to flow back down from the brewing funnel into the pot.

Percolators---yuck--boiled coffee

The Chemex is also OK, but I find it boring to stand there and pour the water into it for three or four minutes while it brews.
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MEN220, MCD500, MR78-Modafferi modified, MPI4, MC602 (2), Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-E, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2), NO TV!

One advantage of living at 5000' of elevation is that you don't have to measure the water temperature for coffee brewing A French press can brew a lot of cups, but it won't keep them warm like an insulated carafe.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Mark. are you talking about the Technivorm ? I've had mine for over 10 yrs. without any problems. Our friends and my sister have them now also, and absolutely love them.
    Yes, I'm talking about that machine. There are plenty of horror story reviews as well as good reviews. If you have had yours for over 10 years and had no problems, that's awesome.

8, 12 or 16 oz cups ?
    I don't need it to brew more than 8 cups. I like the idea of an insulated pot that keeps the coffee warm for close to an hour without having a burner.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    One advantage of living at 5000' of elevation is that you don't have to measure the water temperature for coffee brewing A French press can brew a lot of cups, but it won't keep them warm like an insulated carafe.
    YES you do! The water starts out cooler and ends up cooler when you pour it into the coffee pot.
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MEN220, MCD500, MR78-Modafferi modified, MPI4, MC602 (2), Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-E, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2), NO TV!

8, 12 or 16 oz cups ?
    With french press, you brew it and drink it. NO SAVING IT because the grounds stay in the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
    YES you do! The water starts out cooler and ends up cooler when you pour it into the coffee pot.
    Not sure what you mean. Water boils at just under 203 degrees F, near the high end of the ideal range. I just pour into the French press.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;

Mep,

Sorry for the confusion....
    I was asking you the CAPACITY/ SIZE PER INDIVIDUAL CUP. 8 ounce individual cup, 12 ounce individual cup, or 16 ounce individual cup
    EG, a French tasse (cup) usually a 4 ounce size.... others define as 5 or 6 ounces...YMMV
    Most coffee shops offer 8,12, or 16 ounce size
    When I brew with my smallest french press my indivual cup of coffee IS 16 OUNCES

I still remember my parents chrome sunbeam coffeemaster .. hard to beat a good vacuum brewed cup.

Vacuum Coffee Pots:* History

Mep,

Sorry for the confusion....
    I was asking you the CAPACITY/ SIZE PER INDIVIDUAL CUP. 8 ounce individual cup, 12 ounce individual cup, or 16 ounce individual cup
    EG, a French tasse (cup) usually a 4 ounce size.... others define as 5 or 6 ounces...YMMV
    Most coffee shops offer 8,12, or 16 ounce size
    When I brew with my smallest french press my indivual cup of coffee IS 16 OUNCES
    Tom-I gotcha now. I would say my wife and I drink 6 oz cups at a time and I like to brew four 6 oz cups at a time.

Mep,

Sounds like a large capacity french press and an insulated carafe might be worth investing YMMV

Apolgies for the confusion

Quote Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
    With french press, you brew it and drink it. NO SAVING IT because the grounds stay in the pot.
    I know, I own 3 french presses, a Chemex and a Techniviorm...it seems I'm spreading confusion rather than clarity

I have a french press and the little woman doesn't care for the taste of french press coffee.

I have a french press and the little woman doesn't care for the taste of french press coffee.
    Nor do we and that's why (boring as it may be to use) we've used the Chemex for the past twenty or so years. Few moving parts (the vessel, the filter, the hot water, the ground coffee + time for the drip) make it pretty fail safe. In addition, the initial investment is pretty easy on the wallet.

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

My latest daily pod machine takes Lavazza. As good as a grind IMO. No artificial additives or flavours like that George Clunky brand.

You can power it with a repurposed Anaconda too for even more cohergenic flavour!

Speakeasy

I thought we were talking about real coffee?

I thought we were talking about real coffee?

All for a real perc grind when I have the time, otherwise its the Lavazza. I love a good Kilimanjaro bean. Kona or Hawaiian coffee is quite unique but not for my palette.

Speakeasy

French press and vacuum pot coffee is very nutty tasting.

Unlike filtered coffee or espresso, French press allows (or forces) ALL the flavors in the bean to come through. So the better the bean and roast, the better it tastes. Conversely with less than stellar beans/roast, more objectionable flavors come through. It's also important to have a very coarse grind, but given all the signage to that effect on most presses I'm assuming that isn't the problem.
    Rob

I somehow doubt most people use the coarse grind the presses recommend.

The presses and vacuum pots also allow some silt/mud if you will, from the coffee to come through because their filter screens have monstrous holes compared to what goes through a paper filter.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    I didn't see your post.

I guess if you pour fast from the stove to a pre-heated French press you do have the right temperature right off the stove, but the fact is, the temperature of boiling water drops VERY rapidly once you take it off the stove.

This is starting to sound like an audiophile tweaking thread!

Combining the best of two worlds!

image.jpg
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Cute Myles I hope your wife did that

Quote Originally Posted by RedSectorA View Post
    I'm not judgemental I'm just curious, you tried local roasters or the bagged variety in the past?
    Good question! Well, it is not so easy to judge what is fresh coffee or locally roasted coffee as you put it. I did try coffees from specialized coffee houses like Simon Levelt in this photo:

Now I am trying a bagged coffee from the famous Colombian coffee house / chain Juan Valdez that I received as a gift from a colleague in Bogotá last week. Works great in the Jura by the way...
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    Combining the best of two worlds!

Wow! You are a true Barista with your frothing and latte art technique :-)
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the AeroPress ( unless I missed it ). Similar in principal to a French press, but uses paper filters. I've had very good results from this inexpensive little device. Another inexpensive option is the Yama Siphon, but it creates more of a mess than as it can brew 5 cups...so there's basically a lot more grounds to deal with in the clean up process. Have given up on drip coffee makers. Yes, even the Technivorm.
    I occasionally roast beans with an the entry level Fresh Roast 8. It's decent for small batches, but it best be monitored closely or you'll up with an Italian roast or worse. Serious roasters wanting to do bigger batches and have more heat control need to move on to the more expensive roasters.

I use an Aeropress when I travel and at the office. My kit includes a Bonavita travel kettle and a Hario Slim grinder. I don't use the paper filters because I like the mouth feel of french press coffee. There's an aftermarket perforated metal filter called the Abel Disk. I use the standard, but they also have a finer one. The Aeropress makes an excellent cup.
    John

Main: TD 125 ll/Grace 707ll/Grace F9E/Soundsmith OCL Ruby/MP-P1; Dual CS 5000/Grado Gold/Emotiva XPS-1; Denon CDP; Emo USP1; Emo XPA-1L Monoblocks/Dahlquist DQ-10's; Sony TA-n55ES Bridged/Dahlquist 1W Sub
    Cube Dweller: MacBook Pro or iPod dock/Schiit Lyr/Yamaha HP-1

Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Thanks Myles.

I've had my Technivorm for 10 yrs. If it ever breaks, I will buy another.

I love French press also, but I'm too lazy to do that every day.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Thanks Myles.

I've had my Technivorm for 10 yrs. If it ever breaks, I will buy another.

I love French press also, but I'm too lazy to do that every day.
    I have both the Technivorm and the French Press... The frequency of usage is just the opposite of yours... I roast and grind my Harrar beans and and I'm lazy too... Go figure I don't usually drink any more than 16 oz. at a time

TR SE Michigan 28 degrees... today's heatwave

Kona is good, but waking up to the animal sounds of Kenya, and having a Masi deliver a hot pot of the dark brew grown on a nearby mountain, seriously chases the morning chill and sleep from the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringreen View Post
    Kona is good, but waking up to the animal sounds of Kenya, and having a Masi deliver a hot pot of the dark brew grown on a nearby mountain, seriously chases the morning chill and sleep from the eyes.
    I wonder if Juan Valdez and his donkey show up at your door in the morning if you live in Columbia.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Anyone Into Coffee?