Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Thank you Franco Serblin for Sonus Faber Stradivarius speakers ...

Joe is a photographer.

I'm sure Joe will treat us to a nice film noir looking black and white. 😉

Sent from my HTC One.
    Doug

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Congrats, Joe!

Has the Naim gotten a spin with them yet?
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Super Moderator

Thanks Sean. Yes, the SN2 sounds awesome on the Strads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Congrats, Joe!

Has the Naim gotten a spin with them yet?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Are the Elipsas and Strads going to be phased out of production? I know that Paragon Sound is selling BNIB Elipsas for $11K because they state on their website that those are no longer being produced. Maybe the Elipsa is now only available as the Elipsa SE?? Or maybe both the Elipsa and Strads will no longer be produced?? I have no idea...just asking in case someone knows the details. Thanks.
    Great question. Elipsa's maybe....Strads, I would be surprised. I think they are still a good seller for Sonus Faber.

I much prefer the sonic qualities of Franco's speakers and the Strads were his masterpiece.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Great question. Elipsa's maybe....Strads, I would be surprised. I think they are still a good seller for Sonus Faber.

I much prefer the sonic qualities of Franco's speakers and the Strads were his masterpiece.
    Based on the SQ of the Ktemas, I will believe anything you say about Signore Serblin. Genius.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Audioshark

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    My Strads are PERFECT! Exactly what I wanted in a speaker.
    Congratulations Joe!
    I would love to see some photos of them in your room when you have time. Enjoy them. They are absolute treasures.

Super Moderator

Thank you. I love these things!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hope you guys have many years of enjoyment.

The audio merry-go-round gets really old

I've heard the best Mac amp on the SFs are the 1.2kws...
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Super Moderator

Ah, now you are talking. I've always wanted a pair. They are impressive indeed.

Thanks Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Hope you guys have many years of enjoyment.

The audio merry-go-round gets really old

I've heard the best Mac amp on the SFs are the 1.2kws...

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Joe, quite some changes in the system I see.... glad to see your still having fun with the audio hobby! Hope you are keeping well.

Super Moderator

Hi Joost,

Yes, I've been mixing it up. I am mostly settled but still plan on adding a toy or two.

Absolutely having fun. I finally have the sound that I love. I am going towards the sweeter/warmer side without losing detail and gaining so much musicality (for me). Thank you for the kind words. I see your system has been very stable. I have to be honest and tell you that I do miss my Dartzeel amp. It's a great piece.

Quote Originally Posted by AudioExplorations View Post
    Hi Joe, quite some changes in the system I see.... glad to see your still having fun with the audio hobby! Hope you are keeping well.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, didn't you order Harbeth's?
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Quote Originally Posted by madfloyd View Post

...well of course he did. We all know there's too much of Joe for monogamy..

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by madfloyd View Post
    Hi Ian,

I certainly did. My ETA is probably first or second week of November. If that's true, it will be 7 months from the deposit.i know it's hard to believe but true.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    ...well of course he did. We all know there's too much of Joe for monogamy..
    Ah Kev you know me too well. I have the patience of a saint as well.

Having the Strads takes the edge off.
    Last edited by joeinid; September 19, 2014 at 09:06 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

larevoj

Congrats Joeinid! FWIW I have heard the Strad paired with the ARCRef75 and sounds amazing. I like it even more then the Ref250...have a listen

Cheers~

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Audioshark

"Without subjecting it to analytical scrutiny in order to figure out what was causing it to happen, this speaker, more than any other I've reviewed, communicated music's emotional content. Listening to the Stradivari was a sensual experience—more in the chest than in the head.

Appreciating this wasn't based on checking off items on an audiophile's list of performance parameters. The seamlessness of the sonic whole discouraged that kind of exercise—even in the mind of a veteran reviewer. That first day of listening to the Stradivaris at home, I felt what I'd felt in Sonus Faber's listening room. I also felt it the last day, and every day in between. If you get a chance to listen, don't expect to be bowled over or wowed or to have your molecules rearranged. Be prepared to fall in love."

- Michael Fremer, Stereophile

"Without subjecting it to analytical scrutiny in order to figure out what was causing it to happen, this speaker, more than any other I've reviewed, communicated music's emotional content. Listening to the Stradivari was a sensual experience—more in the chest than in the head.

Appreciating this wasn't based on checking off items on an audiophile's list of performance parameters. The seamlessness of the sonic whole discouraged that kind of exercise—even in the mind of a veteran reviewer. That first day of listening to the Stradivaris at home, I felt what I'd felt in Sonus Faber's listening room. I also felt it the last day, and every day in between. If you get a chance to listen, don't expect to be bowled over or wowed or to have your molecules rearranged. Be prepared to fall in love."

Funny how people love a reviewer when they are extolling the virtues of a product we own and love. That love is fickle though. As soon as the former genius reviewer says something negative about something we own, he's dumber than a new baby hog. For the record, I think MF is a great reviewer and I think he calls it as he sees it and nails it more times than he misses it.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Funny how people love a reviewer when they are extolling the virtues of a product we own and love. That love is fickle though. As soon as the former genius reviewer says something negative about something we own, he's dumber than a new baby hog. For the record, I think MF is a great reviewer and I think he calls it as he sees it and nails it more times than he misses it.
    I hope you're speaking generally. I for one think MF is a terrific reviewer. JV is the one who causes me to shake my head - repeatedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was speaking generally Mike. You read far more negative comments about reviewers than you do positive comments it seems. JV seems to be the favorite whipping boy on many forums. I think JV is a talented writer with a deep understanding of music. I generally enjoy his reviews, but he tends to write about gear priced in the stratosphere that I have no real personal experience with and therefore can only judge based on what I hear in fleeting moments at audio shows which really doesn't count.

Audioshark

That's one of the things I love about John Atkinson. He has a way of finding and reviewing some nice gems that aren't priced into the stratosphere (Classe CP800, Pass XA60.5, Revel Salon 2, etc.).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Super Moderator

My Strads are the best. I have never, ever, been so satisfied with a speaker. Mine are not going anywhere. I will be buried with them. So satisfying and involving.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

That's great to hear Joe. Once a great speaker, always a great speaker. I just thought that quote summed them up perfectly.

I have always felt that JA is a 'truth teller' and calls them as he sees them both in his reviews and his measurements. Integrity is the word that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I was speaking generally Mike. You read far more negative comments about reviewers than you do positive comments it seems. JV seems to be the favorite whipping boy on many forums. I think JV is a talented writer with a deep understanding of music. I generally enjoy his reviews, but he tends to write about gear priced in the stratosphere that I have no real personal experience with and therefore can only judge based on what I hear in fleeting moments at audio shows which really doesn't count.
    The reason he is a "whipping boy" is that his opinions change so frequently, are so absolute in nature and phrasing, and usually involve (as you say) expensive equipment that few others will have a chance to hear for more than brief listening periods, to say nothing of own.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

That's great to hear Joe. Once a great speaker, always a great speaker. I just thought that quote summed them up perfectly.

How much of the emotional connection is the front-end vs. the speaker?
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Super Moderator

Thanks Mike. I agree. You know what I am experiencing. I heard your first pair of Strads even before you did and I fell in love with them. It has been a long, tortuous journey, but I am forever grateful to have landed where I am now. I am eager to get home after work and fire up my system. I listen to anything and everything. Wow! Life is good.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    They invoke emotion whether I'm using the Hegel, Cary SET amps or of course, the Pass amps. Since the "speakers with soul" and "emotion" seems to be a common theme, I would say its definitely the speakers.

Super Moderator

Hi Myles,

Hmmmmm. I have to say it's more speaker than amp for me, but the amps make a difference. Tubes over SS for emotion and involvement. I am not crazy about tube maintenance, but it's not as bad as my head thinks. I love what I hear through ALL my amps but love the LM-219IA and ART monos the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,
    Not sure if I missed this so apologies if I have and this is old news to others, but do you still have your Dartzeel gear? I'd be curious to hear whether the 108b is a good match with the Strads.
    Chris

Audioshark

"Beyond the sonic particulars, and more difficult to describe and explain, was the Stradivari's ability to convey music's emotional content. The speaker was not the most analytical and revealing design I've ever heard, but it was illuminating enough. It was, however, the most emotionally communicative speaker I've ever heard. Can a speaker have "soul"? I don't know, but this one comes the closest to making me think so."

- another quote from Fremer in the review.

Super Moderator

Hi Chris,

Funny you should ask. I sold my Dart gear late last year. I delivered the 108 amp to the guy who bought it. Sure enough when I walk in, what do I see? A beautiful pair of Strads. I nearly fell over. I begged him to hook it up right then and there. Holy cr@p, it was glorious. I could have kicked myself. The Strads were still on my radar but I had a way to go before I was able to get them. Now? The Dartzeel amp would be top 1, 2 or 3 amps that I would use.

So my answer is a resounding YES!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Joe,
    Not sure if I missed this so apologies if I have and this is old news to others, but do you still have your Dartzeel gear? I'd be curious to hear whether the 108b is a good match with the Strads.
    Chris

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe.
    I would love to hear the combo.
    Very familiar with the Strads but not the Dart gear but I have become more interested the more I read. Have never had a chance to hear Dart unfortunately.
    Chris

Super Moderator

Dartzeel is wonderful and I would have loved to have the amp on my Strads now.

An awesome combo was the Dagostino preamp with the Dartzeel amp.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

I would love to see some photos of your Strads!

Thank you,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
    Joe,

I would love to see some photos of your Strads!

Thank you,
    Jason
    Had a pair of STRADS five years, or so, ago, from a client trade in. They are gorgeous speakers, both sonically and visually. Would love to see pics of yours, and Mike's pair.
    INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: OWNER/PRESIDENT OF
    QUINTESSENCE ACOUSTICS
    www.quintessenceacoustics.com

Super Moderator

Will try and get some pictures posted.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Last edited by joeinid; June 10, 2020 at 07:47 PM.

Technicalpie,
    Superb videos,
    I really enjoyed all four segments on the Strads and many more of your sessions...
    any chance you'd match these speakers with the other amp in the video, The Gryphon Anthileon evo and post it online?
    Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Thank you Franco Serblin for Sonus Faber Stradivarius speakers ...