Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

iPhone Launch 9.9.2014 "Wish we could say more"

So they've beefed up the venue, taunting a big launch with their cryptic announcement.

So what do you think, it is going to be?

A bigger iPhone with a battery life longer than 2 hours?

An iWatch that will count your heartbeat & measure your step. With wireless charging pads to rest & sleep on & NFC that will replace the locksmith's key & all of those passwords we need to remember? Will this become a pre-requisite for Homeland Security, Border Protection, Obama Care, health care & life insurance eligibility? Maybe it will be an Apple smart pill that we can swallow? An Apple a day will keep the doctor away?

Are we still excited by these Apple launch announcements, or is that the techno consumer is much more savvy to the hype nowadays, given that there are compelling & arguably smarter device choices out there?

Speakeasy

Re: iPhone Launch 9.9.2014 "Wish we could say more"

Yup...standard Apple product launch announcement event...shrouded in secrecy but the scuttlebutt is iPhone 6 launch with 4.7" and 5.5" screen size variants with faster processor, sapphire glass, likely enhanced functionality associated with thumb biometric sensor that could be tied to electronic wallet/payments service down the road. The other area of speculation is that Apple will announce a "wearable" product, most likely an iWatch which will have standalone and shared functionality with the iPhone. The iWatch could include fitness tracking and health monitoring functionality as well as provide access to email, calendar, and other basic functionality also tied into your iPhone. Wearables could become an area for Apple to launch a suite of new services centered around Health and Fitness and will likely be badged as iHealth services.

Anyhoo, we will find out soon enough.

PS: I hope the damn battery on the iPhone 6 last longer than the iPhone 5!!
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    PS: I hope the damn battery on the iPhone 6 last longer than the iPhone 5!!
    Apple has a recall out now on certain iPhone 5s to replace the battery. Google it and find their website, enter your serial number, and it will let you know if yours is being recalled. Mine is okay, but the person next to me has a bad one. We both got ours around the same time in September 2012.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

I've been an Apple user for almost thirty years. I'll continue to use and buy Mac's but after a software update blew out the WiFi on my iPhone I switched to an Android phone. Apple may have been innovators for many years, but they've rested on their laurels and many companies have passed them by.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Apple has a recall out now on certain iPhone 5s to replace the battery. Google it and find their website, enter your serial number, and it will let you know if yours is being recalled. Mine is okay, but the person next to me has a bad one. We both got ours around the same time in September 2012.
    Mine was part of the recall too, but I paid to get it replaced a month ago, got refunded.
    Small bedroom 2 channel
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A
    Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 Reciever
    Wharfedale Diamond 225 Speakers

Audioshark

Just checked mine, everything is fine, but I will say, the battery life could be a lot better. I purchased an Incipio battery case and it works like a charm. In addition to the original charge, it gives me about another 1.5 full charges. So 2.5 total for the day. Believe it or not, that sometimes still isn't enough, but 99% of the time it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Moved to Nokia Lumia some time ago. Great battery, can take the knocks, best flash photography of any phone camera on the market. Foremost, it is a robust communication device with a decent sized screen.

Still use the latest iPad mini, but progressively weaning off it in favour of Surface 2 & especially Surface Pro 3 as a workhorse. There are still quite a few apps on the IOS platform that vendors haven't also created for the Windows Phone/RT (Metro Platform).... yet. For example, collectorz.com currently have no plans to extend their offering even though they have the Windows desktop app that integrates with their IOS apps & cloud services..

The Microsoft mobile device platform ecology is rapidly maturing & gaining momentum. Largely driven by big business migration, not consumer based toy story app store apps that gave Apple IOS the first cut of the pie. It will be interesting to see what that pie looks like next year. Maybe Apple can renew the consumer heartbeat with their 9.9 launch.

I do love vintage Apple though & have a collection of machines up to 1992. Always looking for something special to consider for inclusion in my sets.

Speakeasy

Bump

Speakeasy

Audioshark

I'm a big apple fan, but with Steve gone, these events just aren't cool anymore. Tim Cook has about as much charisma as a wet noodle.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I may stay up (3am here) for the curiosity factor. There are people that have had microchips injected into the web of their hand in anticipation of the NFC technology to feature the new products. Is this the mark of the beast?

Speakeasy

Stay up until 3 am to look at a new phone? Hmmm...

Sent from my HTC One.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Stay up until 3 am to look at a new phone? Hmmm...

Sent from my HTC One.
    Yeah, I work in IT. These events are typically trending. I'm not a fan of current Apple tech but it bares market influence of what's to come generally.

You can only stream the event from a current Apple computer or device. How cynical. Well....technical problems with the stream. They should have used Microsoft Windows Servers. What a shamble.

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm a big apple fan, but with Steve gone, these events just aren't cool anymore. Tim Cook has about as much charisma as a wet noodle.
    I was thinking of a wet poodle. And with the announcement a few minutes ago, With the recent hack of the apple cloud, there is no way I going to put my credit card data in some phone or in the cloud to use to purchase 'stuff". I don't trust apple when it comes to my security.

I enjoy Apple ( have 2 ipads, iphone, mac mini (2012) but of late my wife's Samsung S5 is hard to beat. Blows the doors off my iphone...
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

The announcements today are exciting.

I want the gold iWatch
    I'm selling all my watches from now on
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The announcements today are exciting.
    Too bad we can't get Keith here so he can tell us everything he hates about Apple!
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Audioshark

There will always be negative nellies - but Apple has pioneered some cool technologies. I'm just afraid that with Steve gone, they have gone from "leader" to "follower".

But the Apple Watch is pretty cool and innovative....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follower, yes. Leader, no more. Most of what has been announced has already been implemented by Google Android & Microsoft Windows Phone. NFC & wallet has been in these phones for some time. It is a matter of getting the banks on board to get this platform operational & they have been slow to do that.

As for Apple being able to convince the financial players that their wallet is "Safe & Secure", maybe in the USA, but the rest of the world is looking for platform standardisation. Now that Apple have caught up, perhaps we will see standard adoption.

I certainly don't trust Apple with iCloud, management of my data, & definitely not my wallet. For one, their platform "server-side" has traditionally been lacking, beyond iTunes is a bit of a mystery. So there is the question of maturation. At least with Microsoft & Google, you know what technology their cloud & web services operate under.

Speakeasy

Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

^^^^Hahaha.

I have to say this. I've carried around phones & tablets from all three of them, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft.

When it comes to "in -use" battery life, the do all Microsoft Surface Pro 3 & Nokia Lumia phones are the best. A full working day of continuous use without having to worry about a charger.

Speakeasy

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team