Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Do I really need a lot of power for my Evolutions?

Due to the inefficiency of my Evolutions conventional wisdom says that they need a lot of power to perform at their best. According to my handy cheapo Radio Shack SPL meter my typical listening volume is in the range of 60-70db. At these levels, I would need less than a watt power to drive my Evolutions at their rated sensitivity of 86w/db/m. I understand I need some power to deal with dynamic swings but even taking that into consideration I don't see needing any more than 5watts. Am I missing something (most likely I am). The reason why I ask is that I would love to try SET amps or pure Class A amps with my Evolutions.

Thank you in advance.

edit...Moderators perhaps this topic is better in the general speaker or amp forum. Pls move if you think it's appropriate. Thank you.
    8TB NAS >> Wireless N >> CAPS Zuma Music Server >> HQ Player >> Fiber Optics >> NAA >> Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable >> Singxer SU-1 DDC >> Wireworld HDMI >> Holo Spring DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >>Tara Labs The One Speaker Cables >> Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution speakers + 2 REL Ti/5 subs

Re: Do I really need a lot of power for my Evolutions?

You're asking specifically about amps for your SFs; seems like it's in the right place to me

I've actually been thinking about this lately. I was thinking about, how in my experience...at least with stand-mounts; low efficiency often has a corollary to bass response. IOW...inefficient monitors, often dig deep for their size. This is mostly, based on my experience with Dynaudios. The theory there, is a small, very stiff mid-bass driver...can give you dynamics that punch above its weight; but you really need to move that diaphragm!

But a strictly high power number, can be deceiving; I think current and headroom are more important (and I wish everyone, included a Damping Factor figure, in their specs; though I'm not sure I completely understand it yet...lol).

I think this is good news for you tboooe. Apples to apples, I think tube and class-A SS watts; sound bigger and more-powerful...than their Class-AB or class-D SS brethren. That's not to say a 5-watt SET will really bring your EVOs alive; even at modest volumes. I know with Dyns for example...they're just not the best speakers, if you like to listen low IMO. IOW...you don't want to under-power them; you should choose a different speaker.

Can't speak for EVOs of course; but I think you have enough choices, to cover your bases. Something like an LM 218/518...which are 22-watt SETs; or a Pass/FW class-A SS.
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Quote Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
    Due to the inefficiency of my Evolutions conventional wisdom says that they need a lot of power to perform at their best. According to my handy cheapo Radio Shack SPL meter my typical listening volume is in the range of 60-70db. At these levels, I would need less than a watt power to drive my Evolutions at their rated sensitivity of 86w/db/m. I understand I need some power to deal with dynamic swings but even taking that into consideration I don't see needing any more than 5watts. Am I missing something (most likely I am). The reason why I ask is that I would love to try SET amps or pure Class A amps with my Evolutions.

Thank you in advance.

edit...Moderators perhaps this topic is better in the general speaker or amp forum. Pls move if you think it's appropriate. Thank you.
    This might be the ticket for you. LM products

Line Magnetic 219ia Integrated Tube Amp Review. 300B and 845 Tube Magic! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
    Paul

My friend Elrocco is driving them with these and they do sound fantastic.

Elrocco 09.JPG Elrocco 01.JPG
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

Super Moderator

Andre,

That looks wonderful. I've been thinking about the M1.2 Reference Lamm amps lately.

As for the SET dilemma, I do think you will need more than 5 watts. Those LM amps that were recommended could be wonderful. I do feel that the Evos might need some balance and too much of a good thing might not be good.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thank you in advance.

You can run very power hungry speakers with very small amps not recommended . You can run a small tube amp with better results than a small solid state as the ss clip harder and the tubes tend to roll off better.
    Best to keep volumes low and it helps to play music that is not bass demanding. Bass is the killer power wise and dollar wise to get good natural sounding bass is where you see people spend the big money for the big name amps and speakers also the big dollar cartridges and arm . Low volume less bass can be done at a fraction of the cost. Set amps have their own charms I have one in my second system just look at the music you like to play and the size of your room plan around that. IMO

My opinion goes like this, IF you can afford the price of these speakers ( new ) or ( used ) the price of a good amplifier to drive them shouldn't be a problem, there are many many good choices sky is the limit, as for me i have champagne taste with beer money.
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One

Thanks guys. Don't get me wrong it's not a matter of me trying to save money on a lower powered amp or integrated. It's about the kind power I am interested in (SET, class A) that prompted this question.
    8TB NAS >> Wireless N >> CAPS Zuma Music Server >> HQ Player >> Fiber Optics >> NAA >> Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable >> Singxer SU-1 DDC >> Wireworld HDMI >> Holo Spring DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >>Tara Labs The One Speaker Cables >> Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution speakers + 2 REL Ti/5 subs

Thanks guys. Don't get me wrong it's not a matter of me trying to save money on a lower powered amp or integrated. It's about the kind power I am interested in (SET, class A) that prompted this question.
    Class A tubes and a set amp gives you a lot more wiggle room on using a lower power . But room size , bass and the volume you play it at are the killers. Try it go easy on the volume

If you like tubes may i suggest this very powerful ( integrated ) amplifier.

For me i would choose solid state.

ayon-ampli-tube-triton3-m-z.jpg McIntosh MC2KW.jpg
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One

In a perfect world, I would love to have amazing large and small scale dynamics along with true to life tone, timbre and great rhythm, though in my experience, one has to take a bit of a trade off here and there depending on ones speakers. Big strong bass comes from wicked power supply design, tone and rhythm generally come from low to medium power amps. My main desire is to have tone and rhythm at the expense of a little less dynamic smack. The PL HP I am currently using with the SF EVOs is a nice amp for my needs, though big super tight bass is not its forte. I previous had the ARC Ref 10 preamp paired with a Ref 110 (KT-120s) and it was awesome at dynamics and fine detail, though it didn't seem to time all that well. This was a $41k pre/amp combo. There are always trade offs unfortunately - at least in my experience...

larevoj

I read that the Evoluzione measured about 84w/db/m.

Which you go with depends very much on the type of sound you would like. I have tried to pair it with a number of amplifiers of different brands, wattage, and amplification i.e. Solid state and tubes.

I prefer dynamic, lively, controlled and refined sound. IMO a class A SET amplifier won't do for me no matter the room size. Class D on the Evoluzione has lots of control and bass but sounds a bit rough. The AB push pull to me matches very well and it's only between tube or solid state. Tube has a beautiful magic to it and throws a large soundstage - the highs are very refine especially with a smaller wattage like a 75w. However, it lacks the slam and tautness solid stage produce particularly when you have a dynamic swing from total silent.

These differences in characteristics have to match not just with your equipment but also to your preferences of sound signature you like to achieve in your own system. Take your time and have a listen to each to find what really fits you.

Enjoy~

Quote Originally Posted by larevoj View Post
    I read that the Evoluzione measured about 84w/db/m.

Which you go with depends very much on the type of sound you would like. I have tried to pair it with a number of amplifiers of different brands, wattage, and amplification i.e. Solid state and tubes.

I prefer dynamic, lively, controlled and refined sound. IMO a class A SET amplifier won't do for me no matter the room size. Class D on the Evoluzione has lots of control and bass but sounds a bit rough. The AB push pull to me matches very well and it's only between tube or solid state. Tube has a beautiful magic to it and throws a large soundstage - the highs are very refine especially with a smaller wattage like a 75w. However, it lacks the slam and tautness solid stage produce particularly when you have a dynamic swing from total silent.

These differences in characteristics have to match not just with your equipment but also to your preferences of sound signature you like to achieve in your own system. Take your time and have a listen to each to find what really fits you.

Enjoy~
    Sonus Faber rates them at 86 db, though both Stereophile and HiFi News tested them and found them to be realistically 85 db.

larevoj

Thats correct...it's just a hair to 85w/db/m Do I really need a lot of power for my Evolutions? Here is a shot from hifi mag I had. I am sharing this based on my experience from trying various amplifiers at home. I encourage all to do the same so you can pick the best that suit your taste and you will be deeply rewarded! Do I really need a lot of power for my Evolutions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team