Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Hegel H30 - Does anyone own one or at least heard it? ....

I just picked up mine yesterday and have to say that I am mightily impressed. Full tone, great bass with sweet mids and top end. I think it's an amazing value.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Hegel H30 - Does anyone own one or at least heard it? ....

I like the looks of their gear a lot. I guess the sound is just as good. Congrats! Now you can check another amp off the list. Does it fit on the Lazy Susan?

Sent from my mobile.
    Doug

Audioshark

I will know soon enough......I have a pair of H30's on order.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

I had to modify it for the size but all in all, I am a happy camper. I fear it will displace some other well respected amps.

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    I like the looks of their gear a lot. I guess the sound is just as good. Congrats! Now you can check another amp off the list. Does it fit on the Lazy Susan?

Sent from my mobile.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I will know soon enough......I have a pair of H30's on order.
    Mike,

You will not believe how good they will sound. Sleepers for sure.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I fear it will displace some other well respected amps.
    Uh oh!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I had to modify it for the size but all in all, I am a happy camper. I fear it will displace some other well respected amps.
    Hey there's nothing wrong with that. Care to elaborate? What does it do that these others don't?

Sent from my mobile.
    Doug

Super Moderator

They are still breaking in but there is a clarity and meat on the bone tone to them. Full bass and 3D with a great in the room presence. Not aggressive and a hint of tube-like sweetness to them.

They will kill on the Strads and 40.1's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Hey there's nothing wrong with that. Care to elaborate? What does it do that these others don't?

Sent from my mobile.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Audioshark

Doug - I don't want to steal Joe's thread, but when you audition various SS gear back to back to back, the Hegel gear tends to stop you in your tracks. That happened to me at Goodwins.

Thanks guys. I'd love to have a second system someday that may include a SS amp. I'll have to check the Hegal line-up out if the time comes. Maybe an integrated from them.

Sent from my mobile.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Doug - I don't want to steal Joe's thread, but when you audition various SS gear back to back to back, the Hegel gear tends to stop you in your tracks. That happened to me at Goodwins.
    im on a trip to near boston after next weekend to a friends house to finally hear the shindo western elec amps . i was thinking of heading to goodwins while im up there depending on the time i have available. do they have alot of nice stuff?? is it worth the extra 45 minutes??
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

I read the Robert Harley review and he actually liked the sound of a single Hegel better than a pair of them.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I read the Robert Harley review and he actually liked the sound of a single Hegel better than a pair of them.
    True Mark. I bought the pair and may sell one if that turns out to be the case.

The guys at Goodwins are a big believer in Hegel. Joe described the sound nicely as it was described to me by Paul at Goodwins.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Steve...they have a lot of nice stuff. Give Paul Chambers a call and let him know what you're interested in listening to and book the time while you are up there and it will be set up for you to listen.
    Cyril
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Super Moderator

I saw that too Mark. I have no reason to doubt him. I think I've seen comments like that from others about the stereo vs mono H30's. It's a great amp.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Thanks Cyril,

I first heard the H30 demoed by Paul on the Rockport speakers. First the Constellation amp was hooked up and it just didn't do anything for me. It was almost hollow and bass shy. Then Paul hooked up the H30 and we were shocked. Total night and day difference. The H30 killed the Constellation.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'm following with interest, as I'm seriously considering the P30/H30 combo to replace McIntosh C50/MC601's.

I managed to borrow a H100 integrated and really enjoyed it. Obviously not as weighty as the Mc stuff, but presumably the H30 would have alot more heft.
    Looking for a much quicker, livelier, forward sound with some bite - but still some meat - and Hegel seems to be more like this.

I'm curious how the sound of Hegel compares with that of Classe?
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

Super Moderator

Rance,

I think Mark and Jock can give you some insight on that comparison. I have to admit that once I heard the Constellation Virgo II preamp in place of the Hegel P30, I was blown away. The Virgo II preamp totally bested the P30. Some people love the Hegel preamp but I was not crazy about it. Maybe if I had one at home for a while, my opinion might change.

The thought did cross my mind to try the C50 on the H30. I imagine that combo could be great.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe.

Interesting that you didn't much care for the P30. Then again, isn't the Virgo like three times the cost of the P30?
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

Sorry--duplicate post
    Rance

Hegel H30 - Does anyone own one or at least heard it? ....

I have a p20 / h20 combo with revel studio2s and think its a good match. It was an easy transition from an ayon tube amp and Nola micro grands. Haven't posted in a while bc I have no intention of changing the rig any time soon. I guess that's a good sign
    Preamp: Hegel P20
    Amp: Hegel H20
    Analog: Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II > Rega P5 > Heed Quasar
    Digital: 4 TB Vortexbox > Squeezebox Duet > Marantz SA8004
    Speakers: Revel Studio2
    Cables: Shunyata Zitron / Analysis Plus

I heard the H30 in my system - one of the best amps i have ever heard. Almost tube like in musical warmth. Iron grip on my Magico woofers. Liked it better than my $45k Vac amp. With the P30 preamp it was a marvel at that price point. Since it isn't a well known brand it is relatively affordable state of the art.

Btw the P30 beat the vac Mkiii preamp and the CJ gat I had in my system them. I thought it was as amazing as the H30. Only reason I sold my Hegel gear is I found the constellation as better match with my Magicos and I had a CJ350 for my vacation home (driving the KEF ls50s). If I had to do it over again I would have found a way to make the Hegel system stick around somehow. There was a musical warmth and punch that was addicting - I remember the mids were tube like.

I bought a Hegel H300 integrated a couple of months ago to go with my Revel Performa F208s, in a second system. It's been a great match. I now have a H30 on order for the main setup. Can't wait. I know Joe is in for a huge treat matching his with his Strads.

Super Moderator

Unfortunately

I have champagne taste and a beer budget. I'd just need to hear the P30 in my system to see if I'd like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rrwmd View Post
    Thanks Joe.

Interesting that you didn't much care for the P30. Then again, isn't the Virgo like three times the cost of the P30?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Unfortunately

I have champagne taste and a beer budget. I'd just need to hear the P30 in my system to see if I'd like it or not.
    Ha, don't we all, Joe?!

Heard the H30 with the Rockport Aviors. Added some nice midrange body and warmth as Darrin suggests. A great amp for the price! Happy listening, Joe!

So will you be trying the companion P30?

Allen

Super Moderator

I don't think so.

My list includes the Dag preamp (again), Constellation Virgo II, Ayre KX-R Twenty, ARC Ref 5SE or Ref 10, Steve McCormack VRE-1c and the Pass XP-30 or possibly Xs.

How's that for a list?

NAD C 658 streamer.

I don't think so.

My list includes the Dag preamp (again), Constellation Virgo II, Ayre KX-R Twenty, ARC Ref 5SE or Ref 10, Steve McCormack VRE-1c and the Pass XP-30 or possibly Xs.

How's that for a list?
    That's an all star list for sure. I heard the constellation Virgo II in my system with balanced connection to my centaur amp. It competed against my ARC Ref40 preamp (very similar to arc ref 5se). I preferred the Arc ref 40 because it had more substance and meat on the bones. More body and bigger soundstage. The Virgo II won by a large margin at very low listening levels. Almost spooky how good it sounded at low volumes. As volume went up it thinned out a bit in my system.

I would love some of your crumbs!!

If you hear the XP30 vs. Xs, would love to hear your opinion, Joe....

Allen

Super Moderator

Thanks Darrin.

I need to wait for the Strads to come in before I make a decision because the Strads will be number one position. Everything could change once the Strads get here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    That's an all star list for sure. I heard the constellation Virgo II in my system with balanced connection to my centaur amp. It competed against my ARC Ref40 preamp (very similar to arc ref 5se). I preferred the Arc ref 40 because it had more substance and meat on the bones. More body and bigger soundstage. The Virgo II won by a large margin at very low listening levels. Almost spooky how good it sounded at low volumes. As volume went up it thinned out a bit in my system.
    Ha! Too funny Allen. I am curious myself.

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    I would love some of your crumbs!!

If you hear the XP30 vs. Xs, would love to hear your opinion, Joe....

NAD C 658 streamer.

I don't think so.

How's that for a list?
    Joe, if there was one bit of advice I would give you, it would be to put the Soulution 520 on that list. It is the home run Soulution jagged!

Super Moderator

Hi Kev,

I forgot about that one. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    Joe, if there was one bit of advice I would give you, it would be to put the Soulution 520 on that list. It is the home run Soulution jagged!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    I don't think so.

How's that for a list?
    I second the nomination!

Allen

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    I second the nomination!

NAD C 658 streamer.

not enough tubes on that list Joe.lmao!!!!!
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Super Moderator

Ha!

I have the GAT so I am covered there. I want a sweet SS preamp too.

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    not enough tubes on that list Joe.lmao!!!!!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

The H30 continues to improve. Wow! What an amazing amp. Burmester could learn a thing or two from Hegel.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Joe!

You might want to revisit your past, and find a used darTZeel NHB-18NS preamp. The mk2 is out, so there'll probably be lots of mk1s out there, for cheap.
    I'd pick that over any of the preamps listed in this thread...

alexandre

Super Moderator

Hi Alexandre,

As much as I loved the Dartzeel preamp on some amps, I am done with them. The way I use my gear, the battery would constantly drain and charge, drain and charge. There was no way to just use ac without the battery coming into play. Maybe it's different now but I don't know. If I go back to anything, the Dagostino preamp might be the killer combo for me.

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Hi Joe!

You might want to revisit your past, and find a used darTZeel NHB-18NS preamp. The mk2 is out, so there'll probably be lots of mk1s out there, for cheap.
    I'd pick that over any of the preamps listed in this thread...

alexandre

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe...what speakers are filling in for now until the Strads and eventually the 40.1s arrive?
    Cyril

Super Moderator

Hi Cyril,

A borrowed pair of D1 are going back to their owner soon. I was fortunate to try them as long as I did. I have to say at first I did not like them. Now with the H30 and the GAT, they are stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Joe...what speakers are filling in for now until the Strads and eventually the 40.1s arrive?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe...not bad to have to slum it with a D1 Glad you are enjoying them. Yes, the Strads and the Harbeth 40.1s are going to be on the opposite end of the sonic spectrum from the D1s but you already know that. When do the Strads arrive? How about the 40.1s? Thx
    Cyril

Those strads are so warm they will be begging for something like solution gear. Opposite end of the spectrum from TAD speakers.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Joe...not bad to have to slum it with a D1 Glad you are enjoying them. Yes, the Strads and the Harbeth 40.1s are going to be on the opposite end of the sonic spectrum from the D1s but you already know that. When do the Strads arrive? How about the 40.1s? Thx
    Yes, I've been very lucky. I am waiting for updates this week on both. It could be months away for either. I'm looking for some warmth so I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    Those strads are so warm they will be begging for something like solution gear. Opposite end of the spectrum from TAD speakers.
    Hi Darrin,

Not sure I need to go that crazy with Soulution. I don't miss the TADs and I think I'll miss the D1 a little.

A SS preamp with the H30 is a neutral as I want to get.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Alexandre,

As much as I loved the Dartzeel preamp on some amps, I am done with them. The way I use my gear, the battery would constantly drain and charge, drain and charge. There was no way to just use ac without the battery coming into play. Maybe it's different now but I don't know. If I go back to anything, the Dagostino preamp might be the killer combo for me.
    Joe,

Let me see if I get this: you wanted to run the amp on 100% AC, bypassing the battery?
    AFAIK, there is a mode called "Battery Through Mode", that will let you do just that. I know, because I was forced to use it, as my battery "died" (stopped charging all the way through). If I used the normal, battery operated mode, it would switch in and out of charging quickly, which seems to be what you described. But if I put it in "Battery Through Mode", it will just work straight from the wall.
    Well, the new mk2 has a much more robust battery, that won't lose charge even if you keep the preamp off for 2 years. And it costs just a tad more than the D'agostino. And it's prettier too Oh, and don't forget that internal phono preamp, which has seen quite an upgrade as well!
    So, there is a way with the old mk1s to run straight through the wall...

alexandre

Super Moderator

Hi Alexandre,

If I enabled BTM, it would revert to battery after a full charge. I bought mine brand new and could never force it to stay 100% ac or BTM. It was even detailed in the manual that onece fully charged, it would switch back to battery. I know what you mean but for me, that was never an option. Maybe mine was special.

NAD C 658 streamer.

The H30 continues to improve. Wow! What an amazing amp. Burmester could learn a thing or two from Hegel.

Joe, what do you mean by that last affirmation? I am interested in a Burmester 956MkII or a Hegel H30 to replace my amp...
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hegel H30 -  Does anyone own one or at least heard it? ....