Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Re: Hegel H30 - Does anyone own one or at least heard it? ....

I absolutely love my H30 !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Super Moderator

I honestly believe the Hegel H30 is a much better value. I had a single stereo 911mk3 and dual mono 911mk3's. While they are impressive amps, I prefer my Hegel H30 over the Burmester amps. I have not heard the 956mkII but still believe the Hegel H30 is a better piece.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
    Joe, what do you mean by that last affirmation? I am interested in a Burmester 956MkII or a Hegel H30 to replace my amp...
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    I absolutely love my H30 !
    How is it in bed?

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I honestly believe the Hegel H30 is a much better value. I had a single stereo 911mk3 and dual mono 911mk3's. While they are impressive amps, I prefer my Hegel H30 over the Burmester amps. I have not heard the 956mkII but still believe the Hegel H30 is a better piece.
    Joe, can you be more specific?
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

I'm using an H30 with a pair of Revel Salon 2s. Before that, with the Raidho D3s. It matches beautifully with both. I have a small room and I had some bass issues to work out with the D3s, but then, I was able to play the D3s at any volume, without any bass issues. The H30 is a great amp. Right now, with the Salons, I am using the Hegel with a McIntosh preamp. With the D3s, I used the Hegel with an Ayre preamp.

Super Moderator

The Hegel H30 is more musical and less nervous. Has a bigger, taller and wider soundstage with more depth and air giving you more space around the voices and instruments.

Joe, can you be more specific?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Shockingly good

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    How is it in bed?

NAD C 658 streamer.

The Hegel H30 is more musical and less nervous. Has a bigger, taller and wider soundstage with more depth and air giving you more space around the voices and instruments.

....is that all? Ha! It's called a home run Joe, but, who am I to tell you of all people.. Listening to Belafonte at carnegie at the mo Joe,(ha!) man I'm having some fun with these new black things again.

That answers my question. Thanks for the help.
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    ....is that all? Ha! It's called a home run Joe, but, who am I to tell you of all people.. Listening to Belafonte at carnegie at the mo Joe,(ha!) man I'm having some fun with these new black things again.
    That's awesome Kev! Getting back to basics is so rewarding.

Yes indeed, the Hegel is a wonderful amp.

That answers my question. Thanks for the help.
    I am glad I could help. If you put the H30 in the blingy Burmester casework, you could double or triple the retail price of the Hegel and still sell them out.
    Last edited by joeinid; November 1, 2014 at 07:27 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    How is it in bed?
    Warm
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

What do you guys mean when you say neutral? Are you speaking of frequency range or coloration? All electronics will color the sound in one way or the other, Some brands just more than other brands. Not many brands are completely neutral in the frequency range either.
    Design Audio Video is a dealer for:

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:
    Raidho, Focal, Revel, Dynaudio, JBL, Sonus Faber

Cables:
    Tara Labs, Shunyata, Nordost, Straightwire, Ansuz, Transparent

Accessories:
    Stillpoints, Quadraspire, Shelter, Transrotor

Super Moderator

Hi David,

For me, when I say neutral, I mean coloration. I'd say the H30 colors slightly on the warmer side of neutral with a meaty tone, which I love. I think Bruce's current setup with the C500T and H30 is a wonderful balance of tone and warmth without being too much. I can't wait to hear it again.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Does anyone happen to know the H30's gain? I was wondering if it would pair with my exaSound well but I couldn't find anything in the manual or the specs on the official site.

Input sensitivity is 1V for max volume, and it has 32dB gain.

Hi David,

For me, when I say neutral, I mean coloration. I'd say the H30 colors slightly on the warmer side of neutral with a meaty tone, which I love. I think Bruce's current setup with the C500T and H30 is a wonderful balance of tone and warmth without being too much. I can't wait to hear it again.

Thanks Boggy, and welcome to AS!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Nolo Contendere in Austin system!
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    Nolo Contendere in Austin system!
    Do you like it Le Roy ?
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

So I was going to wait for my son to come over this morning to help me lug the 120 lb H30 upstairs. But yesterday I thought, how bad can it be. I managed to get it out the back of my wife's SUV and box yesterday afternoon. Getting it up the stairs to the listening room was another story. Fortunately the window washer was in the foyer and I took the heavy end.

So I get it hooked up. The amp is probably 40 degrees cold from being in the back of the SUV overnite. Right out of the starting gate is was Nolo Contendere or "no contest" between my existing Parasound JC-1 Monoblocks and the H30.

It was like the Mike Tyson vs Leon Spinks fight. It only took me 90 seconds to figure out how much better it sounded. And by no small margin. It is distinctly better.

The JC-1's have been a perennial Stereophile Class A recommended amp for a number of years now. But the bass was much better defined, the bloom of the sound and the presence of instruments was much more lucid with the Hegel H30.

With an over nite warm up it sounds even better. So it looks like I'm going from two spaces in the rack to one with this stereo amp.

Thank you David for letting me demo it!
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Super Moderator

Congratulations Le Roy. I love mine and instantly knew it was a keeper. It has a full meat on the bone sound with tremendous 3D, depth and width. Way to go Hegel.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    So I was going to wait for my son to come over this morning to help me lug the 120 lb H30 upstairs. But yesterday I thought, how bad can it be. I managed to get it out the back of my wife's SUV and box yesterday afternoon. Getting it up the stairs to the listening room was another story. Fortunately the window washer was in the foyer and I took the heavy end.

So I get it hooked up. The amp is probably 40 degrees cold from being in the back of the SUV overnite. Right out of the starting gate is was Nolo Contendere or "no contest" between my existing Parasound JC-1 Monoblocks and the H30.

It was like the Mike Tyson vs Leon Spinks fight. It only took me 90 seconds to figure out how much better it sounded. And by no small margin. It is distinctly better.

The JC-1's have been a perennial Stereophile Class A recommended amp for a number of years now. But the bass was much better defined, the bloom of the sound and the presence of instruments was much more lucid with the Hegel H30.

With an over nite warm up it sounds even better. So it looks like I'm going from two spaces in the rack to one with this stereo amp.

Thank you David for letting me demo it!
    I'm glad you heard the same things I hear with the H30, it plays so far above it's price range that it's not even funny. And the 3D soundstage is truly addicting !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Congratulations Le Roy. I love mine and instantly knew it was a keeper. It has a full meat on the bone sound with tremendous 3D, depth and width. Way to go Hegel.
    so what was wrong with hegel h30 ?I don't see it now in your system now

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rimse View Post
    so what was wrong with hegel h30 ?I don't see it now in your system now
    Welcome Rimse, thank you for joining.

Nothing was wrong with it. I sold it to a friend who was begging for it. I took a detour and I am kicking myself ever since. I will most likely replace it, unless I try one of the new Twenty series Ayre amps.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi there,

I too am I an owner of MC601's. I was wondering what your experiences have been like after replacing the MC601 with the Hegel H30? I am looking at possibly doing the same thing.

Aleks.

Super Moderator

Hi Aleks,

I loved my MC601'S when I had them. Any normal person would be satisfied, but there are differences. On the right speaker, the MC601's are wonderful. When you compare them side by side, the H30 is a much more lively and open presentation. There's more depth and width. Tighter bass and a more upfront 3D soundstage. If you like mellow smooth sound, the MC601's are hard to beat. If you want more of what a live performance gives you, the H30 is outstanding. My preference with the H30 is a speaker that is slightly laid back and reticent. The Hegel just takes control and wakes them up.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thank you for the prompt reply! I have been thinking about replacing my Dynaudio Sapphire speakers for a while now with one of the Magico S3/Raidho/Scansonic speakers. I have been told that my MC601 may not be a perfect match with them, and that is why I am looking at replacing the 601s as well with a good solid state amp, possibly like the Hegel H30. I do find the MC601s somewhat soft sounding..

Super Moderator

Hi,

I think Magico and McIntosh 601's could be great. Raidho and McIntosh is not good. I tried D1's and MC601's, I really didn't like it. When I tried my H30 on the D1's, it was amazing.

Matching amp and speakers is very important.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it..

Hi Joe,

just one more question - what preamp are you running with your Hegel 30 ?

Thanks, Aleks.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by geekyaleks View Post
    Hi Joe,

just one more question - what preamp are you running with your Hegel 30 ?

Thanks, Aleks.
    Hi,

I was using a CJ GAT and McIntosh C500T. Both are excellent on the H30.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe, I appreciate it..

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by geekyaleks View Post
    Thanks Joe, I appreciate it..
    You are welcome. Your VAC preamp will be perfect on the H300 too. Let us know if you try one.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi,

I was using a CJ GAT and McIntosh C500T. Both are excellent on the H30.
    As is the ARC REF 5se, and for less money the Classe' pairs well with the H30.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

I've listened to Mark's H30 at his home with his former D3s and in my home with my Alexias. In one word, impressive! The amp played very well with my ARC Ref5SE. A serious amp and a great value at its price point.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Anybody using after market fuses with their H30? What's the proper installation direction? What's the fuse size?

Quote Originally Posted by knghifi View Post
    Anybody using after market fuses with their H30? What's the proper installation direction? What's the fuse size?
    I think Mike did a comparison with fuses on the H30 when he was in Canada last year. I'm also entertaining trying them.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    I think Mike did a comparison with fuses on the H30 when he was in Canada last year. I'm also entertaining trying them.
    Yes, but I'm not going to admit fuses make a difference. I'm in denial. They just can't!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yes, but I'm not going to admit fuses make a difference. I'm in denial. They just can't!
    Tell everyone what you told me

And the name of the fuse you heard.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Audioshark

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hegel H30 -  Does anyone own one or at least heard it? ....