Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Pass A Grille Florida 1/2 the year at the beach house.

5.1 system and a different 2 channel system, same room?

Does anyone run 2 systems out of their Home Theater room?
    I am running out of space.
    My 5.1 is perfectly timber matched. I was thinking of adding a second 2 channel system and a pair of speakers.
    2 Channel: Sonus Faber Elipsa's, JL sub, McIntosh 501 amps, McIntosh tuner, pre-amp, CD player, Wire World. Pro-ject TT.

Home Theater Room: McIntosh LS360's, 2 JL F113 subs, Projector, Oppo, 5.1 System.

Office: Sonus Faber Auditors, McIntosh MA 2275, Concept TT.

Long term system 1970's: McIntosh ML 1C speakers, MAC 1700, McIntosh MQ 101 Eq.

Headphones: Audeze LCD 3, Woo Amp.

Audioshark

Re: 5.1 system and a different 2 channel system, same room?

Best way is to integrate the 2 channel into the HT system. If your two channel preamp has a HT bypass....it makes life a lot easier.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Good point.
    2 Channel: Sonus Faber Elipsa's, JL sub, McIntosh 501 amps, McIntosh tuner, pre-amp, CD player, Wire World. Pro-ject TT.

Home Theater Room: McIntosh LS360's, 2 JL F113 subs, Projector, Oppo, 5.1 System.

I have mine integrated in same room. I do not have Theater Bypass on my old VAC Pre so I have to set the volume to about 1 o'clock for matching and then the HT controls it all from there. I swap out my mains every once in a while and can have a full Dynaudio Audience setup when the 82s are in as mains. Otherwise the fronts are my Clearfields and I re-run the setup on the Integra when I swap fronts.

Since I sometimes will flip on the sub when listening to 2ch with the Clearfields, I have utilized an older Realistic A/V Control box to allow me to use the sub it HT or 2CH with the flip of a switch. A little Low End but I am not overly critical of the HT setup, it's just fun to have.

If movies are just Drama, Comedy or no real action, I have no problem watching them on a 2.0 system in another room.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

I have both in the same room. The Cary SLP-05 has a great cinema bypass function as it works when the unit is turned off. Saves on tubes and energy, and I don't have to worry about whether the 05 is having any effect on the HT sound, good or bad.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

I wanted to weigh in on this but I fear that my answer will be too long. But let me give it a shot.

In reality, we are asking two separate questions. First, is can I convert my two channel system effectively into a five channel surround sound home theater? The second issue is starting from scratch how can I create a great two channel system and also have a five channel system.

I have done both and have reach conclusions based on not great intelligence but on trial and error. Mostly error. Using your original equipment and combining that to create a second system can give you very good results. However I have found myself that the best results came from starting from scratch. Well almost scratch.

Of course, on this site so m any of us have great systems. Great being defined as systems we love sop it's hard to suggest changes to set ups we have not heard.

Speakers: you need to choose the best sounding, most musical left and right speakers for the system. Forget about THX speakers in my opinion. Notice how few speakers now today come with that designation. People never will complain that your left and right speakers are two musical or two detailed. Also THX will come out of your surround sound system if that is what you want. Further, blue Ray has changed the importance THX, with DTS master audio.
    Your middle speaker, your center channel, should match the sound and timber of your left and right as much is possible for the best movie sound. This is easy to do when your first putting together a system but harder to do with an established one. Also the middle amplification should match that of your left and right. Of course this is a much more challenging task for an established system.

Placement: again, my opinion: the center channel should be the only thing in between your left and right speakers. Too many times I have seen a huge amount of equipment and between them. Mostly though in home theater, I have seen TVs placed on stands between the two speakers and this affects sound very much. You want to have the TV behind the speakers perhaps mounted on a wall. Also, since home theater adds a lot of equipment to your room, I really feel that most of it should be placed as far away from the front left and right speakers as possible.

Sub-woofers: and getting the most musical left and right speakers I am happy not using the sub woofer for anything musical I only use a subwoofers for home theater. I placed them behind the speakers and against the corners of the left and right walls. I realize that many two channel setups have sub-woofers in them. What I am saying is that for optimum performance for stereo I use the best two channel system I have.

Originally I had a Mark Levinson 32 preamplifier and I use that for all my two channel sound. My surround sound unit went directly to the center and the rear channels but went to the preamp for the left and right. I now have the Krell 707 which actually has a two channel preamp setting. When I removed the Mark Levinson 32 from the system last year I realized I no longer had a two channel system with a surround sound add-on, I really had gone all the way to a multichannel system. For CDs, radio, and phonograph I I only use the two channel sound and the two speakers and I’m very satisfied with it.

For the rears, I have two surround speakers one on the left and one on the right, and one in the middle of the wall behind me. This gives me technically a 6.2 system. Due to the shape of my attic I could not get a 7.2 system. But I find the middle channel, what they call the back channels, a very pleasant addition to the system. As a center channel is to the front the back channels are to the surrounds and it gives a great debt and great impact. To my knowledge, in a 7.1 system the two back channels on the normal anyway.

Thank you for staying awake during this post. I hope it was some help. I really enjoy my system it is, frankly, the best two channels system I have ever had and the best surround I've heard.
    Barry
    Controller: Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo 105; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: RevelVoice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV Receiver: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc Player

I have 2 completely seperate systems in one room. The 2 channel has amp, pre, TT, Sonos, and dac thru floor standing speakers. The 5.1 system is AV receiver, blu ray, cable box, and apple tv thru in-wall speakers and recessed sub, and tv. They utilize different power conditioners and are on seperate elec. circuits. The only connection is a pair of ICs from blu ray to 2 channel for watching music DVDs. My previous system was 2 channel with HT bypass and it worked fine but this is far better in my eyes (and ears). In-wall speakers are behind the grill cloth on each side of the tv. They are James Loudspeakers LCR speakers that combine the centre channel with the right and left speakers. I like things clean looking. Did all the cabinet and woodwork myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DALE

Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    and Auditorium A23 cables.
    Second system: Accuphase E-280, B & W CWM7.3 S2, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

I have an integrated 5.1 and 2 channel system. I mostly use the 5.1 configuration for my ripped mch SACD's and mch downloads, fed from my Exasound E28. I also have an Oppo 95 which I use for video at 5.1. The 2 channel system uses the same amps and speakers and subwoofer as the 5.1 system. The center and rear speakers are Avantgarde Solos which match my Avantgarde Duos very well. I showed my consultant, Tim Marutani, my dilemma - I wanted to be able to have a simple switch to go from one to the other from my listening chair (including changing the subwoofer from one to the other) without worrying about channel balances, volume controls, HT bypass - which my audiophile preamps don't have.

Tim researched (as I did) whether there was something commercially available that would solve my problem. There was none that he could find. So he talked to crack engineer Scott Rust about the problem and whether Scott could build a custom switch that would allow the change in system. Scott did it, with only one compromise, the remote is wired, so I have a thin cable running from the switch to my listening chair. Now I can simply go from 2 channel to 5.1 by the flip of a switch.

I also have the pleasure of listening to my SET amp and Duos when playing both stereo albums and files and mch hirez files (or even the occasional opera video.)

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

I have a top of the line Integra for HT and external amp. Which sounds fine. But in 2 channel it sounds like the weak sister compared to my normal 2 channel system. Very Flat... Its not the speakers.
    Not sure why as it received a good write up for 2 channel.
    5.1 is 300 watts vs 2 channeMcIntoshsh 500 watts and McIntoshsh pre-amp into SF Elipsa's or McIntosh LS360 speakers. Maybe more watts are needed for the LS360's or they go flat outside of HT.

We'll have to meet up sometime. I live a short distance away in Redington Beach. Do you let the system EQ itself, as in the use of Audessey ?? Try CD direct if available. You also may be use to other systems that are using subwoofers, which sound more dynamic. Some systems limit the frequency response of your L/R speakers, because you have them set at a certain crossover point. They are not suppose to do that in 2-channel. I have 3 Integra recievers, and have similar problems.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

5.1 system and a different 2 channel system, same room?