Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

thumbsup KEF...On A Roll!!

I can't tell you, how impressed I am...with the speakers KEF has been turning out lately; especially when you factor in the price!

It started, with the LS-50s. Do I even need to discuss, what a universally loved knock-out...these little beauties are? I then tried a pair of their X300As, for the computer-based system in my Office. Again...for the price of admission; just so damn musical...if not particularly tech-laden (you're a little constricted with ins/outs, sources, etc.)

Now...R-300s, have also hit one out of the park! What do they all have in common; love that Uni-Q driver they developed! Oh how I'd love, some Blade 2s!! Just not in the budget.

But maybe Ref 3s!! But as I said elsewhere; the R-series, is so damn good for the money. Are the Refs, going to be "worth"...like 4 times the price??
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Re: KEF...On A Roll!!

What about the Ref 5's ?
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    What about the Ref 5's ?
    What about them? Can't imagine, they aren't FREAKING AWESOME!!

But 18 big-ones, is a little steep for my wallet.
    CD

I'd love to hear them.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

the ref 5's are killer!!! they were once a destination speaker for me. until i changed amp directions. i too loved my r300's and also my xq20's were great for the very inexpensive used price i paid. but the ref 5s are super sweet!!!!
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Look killer too! The "special" finishes...only available on the 3 & 5, are sweet!

Blue Ice White

But especially Copper Black Aluminum

CD

I' have always liked Kef, I still have my old 104/2's
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    Look killer too! The "special" finishes...only available on the 3 & 5, are sweet!

Blue Ice White

But especially Copper Black Aluminum

That copper black is too sexy for words
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Agreed!
    CD

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    That copper black is too sexy for words
    +2 i love white speakers and also love these in white but the black are just gorgeous.
    i think id have to get the black .lol. i wish!!!
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

I am strongly considering the Reference 5 as my new speakers. The Black/Copper finish is stunning..........Hmmmmm........
    Main System:Mcintosh MC601's Amplifer,Mcintosh C1000/C1000T Preamp,Kef Ref 5 Speakers,Mcintosh MCD1100 CDP,Mcintosh MT 5 TT, Olive 04HD, Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun Cables,4 ELECTRA™ 7 Power Cords&2 Pairs of
    ECLIPSE 7 (EBI) XLR's, Consonance D-Linear 15 Ultra Reference Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, SolidTech "Rack of Silence"Reference 4 Audio Stand.

KEF seem to be doing fantastic... certainly coming out with fantastic speakers!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by volks View Post
    I am strongly considering the Reference 5 as my new speakers. The Black/Copper finish is stunning..........Hmmmmm........
    Awesome... and yes a great color combo....

McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I really want to get a pair of References at some point! Probably leaning towards the Ref 1's for both size and budget. Believe it or not I have a preference towards stand mounted speakers... less boxy sounding usually, although those Ref 3's that I heard in Wyred 4 Sound's listening room were pretty amazing!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The black/copper KEF combo driven by D'Agostino would look killer!!
    Everest Audio
    www.everestaudio.com
    Facebook

bel canto, Hegel, Vimberg, Opera, MoFi, Acoustic Energy, JL Audio, Innuos, Vertere, Meze Audio, Origin Live, GutWire, Wireworld, Furutech, IsoAcoustics and more

Randy

You might want to look closely at the test measurements on the Ref 1's before you go down that road. You don't have an amp in your stable that would drive them reasonably and the one you traded would have been close. So you would be looking at another hefty investment in a high current amp plus the cost of the speakers.

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index....1-loudspeakers

Talk to CD/Chris as he had a pair and sold them after trying multiple amps.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Hmmm... I know the efficiency of KEF is always on the low side.... the Ref 1's are 85 and in reviews I read the MC's are also rated 85 (I have never been able to confirm this officially only what I read in reviews). The one difference is the MC are 4 ohm (listed right on the back )...

It does depend on what fits your tastes and listening habits of course, and expectations. I have always preferred inefficient speakers and know what to expect from them ... This is not something that will happen any time soon anyway... just thinking down the road.... I would try to borrow EJ's 3's to try out before making this type of purchase anyway ....

But I do believe you are right about my amp match ups. The ARC may be able to get them running but the first watt probably not.

I think the F6 will work good with the MC because it is one of the few First Watt amps that gives much more power with a 4 ohm speaker... but the KEF being 8 ohm this will be negated.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I really want to get a pair of References at some point! Probably leaning towards the Ref 1's for both size and budget. Believe it or not I have a preference towards stand mounted speakers... less boxy sounding usually, although those Ref 3's that I heard in Wyred 4 Sound's listening room were pretty amazing!
    Randy, you WANT to try the Active /Wireless version. Trust me on that!
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Randy, you WANT to try the Active /Wireless version. Trust me on that!
    Agreed! Love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I assume you are referring to the LS50 wireless. I really liked the LS50's when I owned them. They were great little speakers. The MC are a completely different league of course. I just do not currently have a need for a second set of speakers and at this point in time I would not consider using a wireless speaker in my main 2-channel system.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I assume you are referring to the LS50 wireless. I really liked the LS50's when I owned them. They were great little speakers. The MC are a completely different league of course. I just do not currently have a need for a second set of speakers and at this point in time I would not consider using a wireless speaker in my main 2-channel system.
    The wireless is way better than the classic LS50 too.

Not saying to buy, I am saying you need to hear 'em.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Audioshark

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Randy - In case you were thinking that they can only be used wirelessly, they can also be connected with a digital cable. The big sonic advantage that they seem to have over the passive version is that the internal bi-amping is matched to the drivers and with its integrated DSP the speaker performs on an entirely different level. Hope this helps!

I think you can make the "classic" LS50's sound fantastic....it just takes more money to do so then what you spend on the Wireless. The Wireless are really quite amazing, and even more so when you factor the fairly modest price.
    Goldprint Audio -- Dealer For: PS Audio -- Leben -- KEF -- Line Magnetic -- DeVore Fidelity -- Joseph Audio -- Sugden -- Rogue Audio -- Manley Labs -- VPI Industries -- Bel Canto -- Alta Audio -- Tannoy -- Rega -- Kimber Kable -- Ortofon -- Chord -- Sonos -- Quadraspire -- Salamander -- SVS Sound -- Torus Power -- Audio Desk -- Gingko -- Auditorium 23 -- Box Furniture -- Krell -- Cary Audio -- Soundsmith -- EMT

www.goldprintaudio.com

Excellent... Always happy to see KEF doing well!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Excellent... Always happy to see KEF doing well!
    Me to, I've always loved their products and I still own and enjoy the 201/2's Ref speakers.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

KEF...On A Roll!!