Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Hegel H4SE vs H30

Has anyone compared these two amps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Hegel H4SE vs H30

Thanks for the info but it looks like mine is already on the way.

Lance

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by lancelock View Post
    Thanks for the info but it looks like mine is already on the way.

Lance
    ? I'm confused.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Hallo,

I use the Pass Xa100.5 at today and I will purchase a Hegel amplifier. my Dealer make my a offer for a H30. The H4SE is not available on this moment and he make me a good price for the H30.

well anyone can say if the difference between this 2 amplifier?

thank you

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum db33! Thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome to AS, db33!

Allen

Audioshark

Welcome. The folks at Hegel convinced me that the H30 was clearly better. I'm loving mine. I swear, it sounds like an SET with balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Welcome. The folks at Hegel convinced me that the H30 was clearly better. I'm loving mine. I swear, it sounds like an SET with balls.

Exactly right description - SET with balls. I think it may even outperform my CJ Pr350. Haven't done side by side real time. Hey joe do u still have 350? Any comparison thoughts? I think the Hegel is the modern day CJ 350 no?

Super Moderator

Hi Darrin,

As much as it pains me to say it, the H30 beats the pants off of the CJ Premier 350. I've thought about replacing the Pr. 350 but there are more amps that beat it now. The H30 is a lot quieter (a big plus), more 3D and has more air around everything. I felt the Pr. 350 was a little more nervous compared to the H30. I absolutely love the H30.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    Exactly right description - SET with balls. I think it may even outperform my CJ Pr350. Haven't done side by side real time. Hey joe do u still have 350? Any comparison thoughts? I think the Hegel is the modern day CJ 350 no?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hi Darrin,

As much as it pains me to say it, the H30 beats the pants off of the CJ Premier 350. I've thought about replacing the Pr. 350 but there are more amps that beat it now. The H30 is a lot quieter (a big plus), more 3D and has more air around everything. I felt the Pr. 350 was a little more nervous compared to the H30. I absolutely love the H30.
    Hey joe...I've lost track...what speakers do you have in house right now that you love on your h30? What preamp have you been using?

Super Moderator

Ah, so my plan is working

I have a borrowed pair of Raidho D1 until my Strads and 40.1's show up. The H30 kills on the D1.

Quote Originally Posted by bthomas9 View Post
    Hey joe...I've lost track...what speakers do you have in house right now that you love on your h30? What preamp have you been using?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi,
    thank you at all.

do you think that the H30 is a good match with the Wilson Sasha2?

The preampli p30 is a good choice?

As write now I have the Xa100.5 with a Xp20.

Raidho is not MY speaker. I had the C3.1. After 6 months I have sold the Raidho!! (well the D serie is much better vs the C series)
    I like speakers more "dry" , powerfull....-> Wilson - Focal - Isophon/Gauder - Tidal.

The point for me is go with the H30 or purchase the new point 8 from Pass.

greetings
    db

db, can you audition the H30? Some people on here have compared the 100.8 and the 100.5 and prefer the .5.

Is there something you don't like about the Pass?
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Audioshark

The 100.5 vs Hegel H30 is very different. The 100.5 is lush and romantic and full bodied with an incredible bloom in the mids. But bass can be a little puffy and overall sonics, some call it grainy. The H30 is sweet, dynamic, holographic with incredible 3D soundstaging and so much space and air. The H30 has tight fisted bass control with it's 1000+ damping factor and a tonality that is rich. But the H30 doesn't have a midrange bloom like the 100.5 or that lush fullness.

There is no perfect amp. It's what fits your listening tastes.

As for preamps, people here have had success with the Classe CP800, VAC, Constellation and Soulution 520 among others. I believe the Classe for the money and Constellation overall were favorites. But none were "bad" per say. The least favorite, ironically, was the P30, but that could have been to a lack of break in.

FWIW - when I spoke Robert Harley at TAS, he felt the P30 was a good preamp, but there was better out there. And, in my own findings, he was right: one H30 sounded better to my ears (and others who were with me), than two. That's good from a budget standpoint!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by db33 View Post
    Hi,
    thank you at all.

do you think that the H30 is a good match with the Wilson Sasha2?

The preampli p30 is a good choice?

As write now I have the Xa100.5 with a Xp20.

Raidho is not MY speaker. I had the C3.1. After 6 months I have sold the Raidho!! (well the D serie is much better vs the C series)
    I like speakers more "dry" , powerfull....-> Wilson - Focal - Isophon/Gauder - Tidal.

The point for me is go with the H30 or purchase the new point 8 from Pass.

greetings
    db
    The H30,imho, would be very hard to beat. Of course I am a little biased.

But I do really think it would be a magic pairing with Wilson speakers.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

The 100.5 vs Hegel H30 is very different. The 100.5 is lush and romantic and full bodied with an incredible bloom in the mids. But bass can be a little puffy and overall sonics, some call it grainy. The H30 is sweet, dynamic, holographic with incredible 3D soundstaging and so much space and air. The H30 has tight fisted bass control with it's 1000+ damping factor and a tonality that is rich. But the H30 doesn't have a midrange bloom like the 100.5 or that lush fullness.

There is no perfect amp. It's what fits your listening tastes.

As for preamps, people here have had success with the Classe CP800, VAC, Constellation and Soulution 520 among others. I believe the Classe for the money and Constellation overall were favorites. But none were "bad" per say. The least favorite, ironically, was the P30, but that could have been to a lack of break in.

FWIW - when I spoke Robert Harley at TAS, he felt the P30 was a good preamp, but there was better out there. And, in my own findings, he was right: one H30 sounded better to my ears (and others who were with me), than two. That's good from a budget standpoint!

I thought you said the H30 was like a SET amp (with balls). SET doesn't have midrange bloom to you?
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by madfloyd View Post
    I thought you said the H30 was like a SET amp (with balls). SET doesn't have midrange bloom to you?
    It has a sweetness. That's what I was referring to.

It has a sweetness. That's what I was referring to.
    Ahhh. I see. Darn, I was hoping it was a meat-on-the-bones solid state amp. I just re-read the Robert Harley review and he does mention it's lean in the bass, so now I'm thinking it won't be a very good match for my Magico's...

Ahhh. I see. Darn, I was hoping it was a meat-on-the-bones solid state amp. I just re-read the Robert Harley review and he does mention it's lean in the bass, so now I'm thinking it won't be a very good match for my Magico's...
    I heard H30 on my Magico S5 speakers. Plenty of bass. However, the Constellation has about 3x as much grip on the Magico woofers. The bass really wakes up via the Centaur. I think there is really good impedance matching between constellation and Magico. I tried centaur, Hegel h30, vac 450s, etc on my Magicos with multiple preamps. The constellation won on bass power/resolution by a wide margin. I remember thinking until the Centaur was installed i really didn't know what the S5 speakers were capable of bass-wise. Oddly enough, the second best match is my meager little air tight ATM-2 with less than 100 wpc. Not as fast of a bass, but equal dose of low end.

I heard H30 on my Magico S5 speakers. Plenty of bass. However, the Constellation has about 3x as much grip on the Magico woofers. The bass really wakes up via the Centaur. I think there is really good impedance matching between constellation and Magico. I tried centaur, Hegel h30, vac 450s, etc on my Magicos with multiple preamps. The constellation won on bass power/resolution by a wide margin. I remember thinking until the Centaur was installed i really didn't know what the S5 speakers were capable of bass-wise. Oddly enough, the second best match is my meager little air tight ATM-2 with less than 100 wpc. Not as fast of a bass, but equal dose of low end.
    Unfortunately I have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Constellation. First time I heard the S5's it was with Constellation. After about 15 minutes, I (and 3 guests) were done - we just shrugged. On our way out of the dealership, the dealer offered to let us try another amp and so we did (Spectral) and that's when I realized what the fuss was about with the S5's.

To be fair, the dealer did say their Constellation might not have been fully broken in.

Interesting. Most if of my friends who go to audio shows see the centaur and S5s paired and sound great. I believe Magico typically uses VAC and Constellation to demo so would assume they pick what sounds best. In my room and to my audiophile friends and local dealers the constellation rocks the S5s. Although there is some thing organic and spaciously right about the air tight tube amp that even the constellation can't match.

What model Constellation do you have?

Audioshark

My VAC phi200's were excellent on the S5's.

Hopefully I can let you know next week how the H30 sounds with my S1's.

What model Constellation do you have?
    Centaur stereo

Centaur stereo
    Dang, you have me intrigued. I read your review. Now I want to audition it.

Dang, you have me intrigued. I read your review. Now I want to audition it.
    It is most refined SS amp I have ever heard. SET sounding.

Hi,

at madfloyd: the point 5 are fine. i dont can say that Wilson and Pass is not a good match. they sound very good but.....yeah but...

the new point 8 I dont have listen: only rewiev on the web.....where i life in not simply have a point 8 at home to make a test.....but purchasing the new point 8 in a closed box is a no sense operation.

Mike write from LF more "hard"...and much other impression anyway the new Pass is sure a good choice.

I can stay with my Xa100.5 and try before with the AR ref5se: i'm sure that the sound go have a big improvemnt from Xp20 as preampli and Xa100.8 new ampli!

I have listen Hegel H30 in a store with Dali speaker and the H300 too: this last is very impressive! have a price/performance like not other.

I love have a mid and HF "fine" in my system: the LF / bass are well important but the 100.5 are for me bot bad! -> sinergie!!!! is the password.

A freind say me to go with a McIntosh combo...but I have never listen the Mc with the Wilson! Mc sound good with B&W, Sonus Faber, Spendor, Harbert....i like a "fast sound", rapid reponse, dry....-> sonus Faber and co. for me are to much "soft".....

db

BUMP, H4se or h30 ?

Super Moderator

Since having owned the H30, I would absolutely give the H4SE a try. It’s extremely popular overseas and has an extremely loyal following.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe. I should have asked H4se, or h360, but they're 2 different products and my 360 is driving the salons effortlessly.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hegel H4SE vs H30