Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What to do with HDD DVRs?

I guess I'll put this here.
    I have an HDD DVR that I have not used in 3 years. It's perfect condition,I got it to convert some VHS tapes. That project is long done now.
    I don't watch broadcast TV and haven't in years. I don't want broadcast TV either.
    I have a Roku and DVDs and a PC if I want to watch something.
    Can't record from a Roku though.

Anyone have any ideas for other uses for a DVR?

Re: What to do with HDD DVRs?

What is it and what do you want for it? Does it record over the air without a contract/subscription?

I have been wanting to replace my older VHS machines with one of these but keep finding ones that need a paid subscription and I use only OTA roof antenna.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Brian,

I only have a rooftop antenna and I have been using Magnavox recorders for years. Hated to shop there but I bought them (three) at Walmart online. I also have a new Philips recorder that I purchased from Amazon. They record OTA channels without any subscription.

The Philips has different features from the Magnavox so you might prefer one over the other. I prefer the Magnavox because I like the GUI better. Also the Philips gives me problems using << on some channels. I can give you more details if you are interested but first check out the units online.

Just checked Walmart online. Search for Magnavox HDD DVR. 500GB is $258. 320GB is $229

Thanks Dizzie!

Ever try that vacuum cleaner yet?
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Brian, PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    Brian,

I only have a rooftop antenna and I have been using Magnavox recorders for years. Hated to shop there but I bought them (three) at Walmart online. I also have a new Philips recorder that I purchased from Amazon. They record OTA channels without any subscription.

The Philips has different features from the Magnavox so you might prefer one over the other. I prefer the Magnavox because I like the GUI better. Also the Philips gives me problems using << on some channels. I can give you more details if you are interested but first check out the units online.

Just checked Walmart online. Search for Magnavox HDD DVR. 500GB is $258. 320GB is $229
    Yup, I have the Magnavox 320GB model. I also hate to go near Walmart, but did it that one time.

I also have a rare Pioneer HDD DVR which I like a bit better in personal preference, even though a little more complicated to work. I used it to convert most of my VHS tapes before I got the Maggy. I got the mag so I wouldn't wear out the Pio too much. I had to import it from Canada because at the time, HDD DVRs were illegal in the US. (6 months later Magnavox models show up at Walmart...whatever).
    The Pioneer is built like a brick chicken house, but doesn't have as robust a tuner as the Maggy. The Mags are a bit more friendly should you have to replace either the HDD or DVD burner. For the HDD, you can use whatever you want as long as it's the same connection.

~Eric

FWIW: A word on using these things.
    Only use high quality DVD-Rs such as Premium TY (JVC owns now) or Verbatim might be ok too. Anything else will shorten the life of the DVD burner section and the discs themselves won't last 6 months.
    Also do not use blank discs rated for anything above 8x. Slower is better and since you record in real time on the HDD first (I suggest, even though you can go straight to DVD) you will be able to maintain PQ. (You can speed burn to the DVD after recording to the HDD with no ill effects).

Eric,

I never knew about the Pioneer but my all-time favorite was a Panasonic. It was also a very solid build with DVD and VCR. It would have done the conversions for you. Unfortunately Panasonic chose to discontinue it rather than upgrade to a digital tuner.

The new Philips has no optical drive. It is solely a recording and streaming device. In fact, one of the reasons I do not like it is the remote is too slanted toward streaming. Huge Netflix and Vudu butons make it difficult to access the power, pause, play, >>, <<, next and previous track buttons. I also do not like the method for displaying what has been recorded. Magnavox GUI is much better.

I think the draw for some toward the Philips is streaming. I also think it is true hi-def and can use an external HDD as well. None of those were important to me. It is also smaller and has no display so the user can't access a program in progress and record it without turning on a monitor. No display also means no clock. But some might appreciate the much smaller size of the unit.

I keep a Philips and Magnavox in the same system because they operate off of different remotes. Magnavox units all operate off of the same remote so I can't have two in the rack unless I keep swapping some kind of cover over the sensor.

Eric,

I never knew about the Pioneer but my all-time favorite was a Panasonic. It was also a very solid build with DVD and VCR. It would have done the conversions for you. Unfortunately Panasonic chose to discontinue it rather than upgrade to a digital tuner.

The new Philips has no optical drive. It is solely a recording and streaming device. In fact, one of the reasons I do not like it is the remote is too slanted toward streaming. Huge Netflix and Vudu butons make it difficult to access the power, pause, play, >>, <<, next and previous track buttons. I also do not like the method for displaying what has been recorded. Magnavox GUI is much better.

I think the draw for some toward the Philips is streaming. I also think it is true hi-def and can use an external HDD as well. None of those were important to me. It is also smaller and has no display so the user can't access a program in progress and record it without turning on a monitor. No display also means no clock. But some might appreciate the much smaller size of the unit.

I keep a Philips and Magnavox in the same system because they operate off of different remotes. Magnavox units all operate off of the same remote so I can't have two in the rack unless I keep swapping some kind of cover over the sensor.
    My first two were Panasonics, I blew both of them out in a year from using cheap DVD-Rs.
    So the Phillips records streaming? Only Netflix and Vudu though correct? I'd like to record other educational stuff from the free places on the Roku. I don't need to record anything on Netflix and such. I would not like the Phillips either from your description though.

~Eric

Eric,

You need to check. I do NOT think they can record streamed material. I do not have mine on so I cannot see the full menu but the remote has buttons for Netflix, Vudu, and YouTube.

From Amazon:

"Record your favorite shows anytime. Record programing from your over-the-air TV antenna. The recorder will only record unencrypted signals."

"Certified Wi-Fi with Direct remote to Netflix and Vudu

Certified Wi-Fi, also known as IEEE 802.11n, is the new wireless network standard. It includes many new options to improve the quality of the wireless link, offering faster speed and wider range compared to previous Wi-Fi standards. Wi-Fi also features backward compatibility, which makes it possible for this DVR to transmit to and receive from routers that operate on older Wi-Fi standards.

To speed up the process, and make it more user-friendly, there are Netflix and VUDU shortcut buttons on remote control that allow you to do the basic commands necessary both for watching your video and for controlling the general interface."

From Amazon:

"Record your favorite shows anytime. Record programing from your over-the-air TV antenna. The recorder will only record unencrypted signals."

"Certified Wi-Fi with Direct remote to Netflix and Vudu

Certified Wi-Fi, also known as IEEE 802.11n, is the new wireless network standard. It includes many new options to improve the quality of the wireless link, offering faster speed and wider range compared to previous Wi-Fi standards. Wi-Fi also features backward compatibility, which makes it possible for this DVR to transmit to and receive from routers that operate on older Wi-Fi standards.

To speed up the process, and make it more user-friendly, there are Netflix and VUDU shortcut buttons on remote control that allow you to do the basic commands necessary both for watching your video and for controlling the general interface."
    And there we have it. Only records from OTA now days. Won't even record from cable anymore. The old maggy and pioneers and panasonics could record from cable.
    The Phillips and those like it are worthless in my opinion unless of course you want to record OTA or don't have any other way of getting Netflix or VUDU.

I only use an antenna. I am not familiar with cable but I know that many users on the AVS forum are using the Magnavox and Philips with cable boxes. Maybe they are limited to analog broadcasts or local stations which may not be encrypted. I do not know the details but anyone interested should do some research before assuming the units mentioned will not work for them.

I believe the key phrase in the Philips description is "The recorder will only record unencrypted signals."

AVS has two massive threads, one for standard def (includes the new Magnavox plus older units) and hi-def which includes the new Philips. wajo is the guru dude and thread starter. He has helped me several times.

Me, I am addicted to watching TV when I want and FFing the commercials.

Eric's unit will record OTA and Cable. I have the User Manual open now on my desktop. That was one thing I needed to check before buying. Just in case I ever do get Cable/Fios or whatever, but OTA is fine for my needs right now anyway.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    Eric's unit will record OTA and Cable. I have the User Manual open now on my desktop. That was one thing I needed to check before buying. Just in case I ever do get Cable/Fios or whatever, but OTA is fine for my needs right now anyway.

Brian, That is good news. Whatever way you go I think you will be very pleased. VCRs are so Neanderthal compared to a good DVR.

I only use an antenna. I am not familiar with cable but I know that many users on the AVS forum are using the Magnavox and Philips with cable boxes. Maybe they are limited to analog broadcasts or local stations which may not be encrypted. I do not know the details but anyone interested should do some research before assuming the units mentioned will not work for them.

I believe the key phrase in the Philips description is "The recorder will only record unencrypted signals."

AVS has two massive threads, one for standard def (includes the new Magnavox plus older units) and hi-def which includes the new Philips. wajo is the guru dude and thread starter. He has helped me several times.

Me, I am addicted to watching TV when I want and FFing the commercials.
    Absolutely. The other thing is that some cable stations (or maybe most) are encrypted these days probably.
    Yes, I got the low-down from Wajo when I bought my unit. I printed out all his tricks and stuff on it.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What to do with HDD DVRs?