Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Shindo CV391

Shindo CV391

Has anyone had a chance to audition the Shindo CV391 amp?

Re: Shindo CV391

Ken...I did not but I can imagine how wonderful it must be.
    My CV391 Giscours is super sweeeeeeeeet.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

I have this amp, but it's my only Shindo amp experience, so there's nothing to compare it to. At first I thought this amp was lacking a little in the bottom end with my old speakers. I switched speakers and now the bass is outstanding. I'd like to upgrade my Aurieges-MM at some point, but I'm extremely happy with my setup now.

Super Moderator

Welcome Vortex! Thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by vortrex View Post
    I have this amp, but it's my only Shindo amp experience, so there's nothing to compare it to. At first I thought this amp was lacking a little in the bottom end with my old speakers. I switched speakers and now the bass is outstanding. I'd like to upgrade my Aurieges-MM at some point, but I'm extremely happy with my setup now.
    What speakers are you using with the CV391? I remember on my first Shindo amp the Cortese at first listen I was thinking i had made a mistake, two days later I knew it was great, but the speakers at the time didn't match well with the amp and in the end I decided that it wasn't going to work so I bought the CC34's and then decided I really needed to replace the speakers and got the Devore O/96's. Long story short I need really need all the power and may go back to the Cortese.

ken

Ken : get a Cortese again and keep the CC's ! 2 different flavors !

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

I want to say "Welcome" to all our new members here on the Shindo thread !

I think you will all enjoy being here at Audioshark. We make sure everyone is kind and respectful to each other, it's one of the few rules we have.

it's nice to see you here again Jerome !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by KenSea View Post
    What speakers are you using with the CV391?
    dc10audio Briton II's with upgraded drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
    Ken : get a Cortese again and keep the CC's ! 2 different flavors !
    ... or the WE300B, combines the rich tonal character of the CC with the resolution and life of the Cortese

Quote Originally Posted by omodo View Post
    ... or the WE300B, combines the rich tonal character of the CC with the resolution and life of the Cortese
    I think you have mistaken me for a person of wealth ...........had to sell the castle last year to pay for the CC34's and an extra set of tubes..........Matt told me living in a yurt wasn't that bad and power could be brought in for the stereo

k
    Last edited by KenSea; June 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    I want to say "Welcome" to all our new members here on the Shindo thread !

I think you will all enjoy being here at Audioshark. We make sure everyone is kind and respectful to each other, it's one of the few rules we have.

it's nice to see you here again Jerome !
    Thanks a lot !

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vortrex View Post
    Vortex, are You still enjoying your amp?

Vortex, are You still enjoying your amp?
    I've not really listened to it in several months. My house is under renovation so the system is packed away.

The CV391 is amazing amp. Way underrated. Superb.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    The CV391 is amazing amp. Way underrated. Superb.
    Good morning Paul , could you pm me I would like to know what amps you compared it against and what the rest of the system was like.....thank you
    ken

Good morning Paul , could you pm me I would like to know what amps you compared it against and what the rest of the system was like.....thank you
    ken
    sent
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    sent
    Paul,
    Thank you for the insights! Enjoy Your great system.

k

I've auditioned the CV391 amp back-to-back with the CC80 and VTL ST-150 on my Verity speakers about a year ago.

Long story short - I preferred the tonal character of the CV391 to the VTL, despite the fact that the VTL was clearly a better match on paper. The VTL "heaviness" is nice on some music, but the lighter & textured Shindo thing just sounds better with Verity.

Still though - when hearing the CC80 it was clear that the CV391 was lacking a bit of juice, as would be expected. So for long-term enjoyment, you need somewhat better matched speakers. Again though - the same night I listened to the CV391 with Devore O93's, and it wasn't nearly as good as the Verity's. So it's not all about the specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how did the CC80 compare w/ the CV391? What model Verity speakers do you have?
    WTL Amadeus MKII, EMT TSD-15 SFL, A23 SUT, Shindo Masseto, Shindo Aurieges MM, Bryston 4B-SST, Oppo 105D, Shindo and Auditorium A23 IC and speaker cables, Shindo Mr. T, Tannoy 15 DMT II

The CC80 was much more extended than the CV391 - leading to a bit of a more balanced sound. But that all depends on your speakers really - in my case the Parsifals are very extended at both ends, so the increased bandwidth was very noticeable. When the amps were powering the O93s the situation was different - I can't remember which amp I liked better on the O93 as I was listening more for differences between the O93 and my Parsifals than for the difference between amps on the O93s.

Other than that - I find that in general, as you move up the Shindo line, you get increased depth of tone and texture. The CCQ is better than the CC80 in that respect, and the CC80 is better than the CV391 in that respect. At least in my system.

Quote Originally Posted by countingbackwards View Post
    I've auditioned the CV391 amp back-to-back with the CC80 and VTL ST-150 on my Verity speakers about a year ago.

Long story short - I preferred the tonal character of the CV391 to the VTL, despite the fact that the VTL was clearly a better match on paper. The VTL "heaviness" is nice on some music, but the lighter & textured Shindo thing just sounds better with Verity.

Still though - when hearing the CC80 it was clear that the CV391 was lacking a bit of juice, as would be expected. So for long-term enjoyment, you need somewhat better matched speakers. Again though - the same night I listened to the CV391 with Devore O93's, and it wasn't nearly as good as the Verity's. So it's not all about the specs.

Thanks for the feedback, it's really helpful

yes- thanks so much!
    WTL Amadeus MKII, EMT TSD-15 SFL, A23 SUT, Shindo Masseto, Shindo Aurieges MM, Bryston 4B-SST, Oppo 105D, Shindo and Auditorium A23 IC and speaker cables, Shindo Mr. T, Tannoy 15 DMT II

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Shindo CV391