Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: L1

L1

A new product at Highend 2014 - a preamp.

Re: L1

Thanks, wizard. Interesting. Their C1 (Dac/Pre controller) has an available slot for a phono board, but the L1 does not. A little disappointing not to see one.

Allen

L1

Wizard,
    Got any more details on this? Pricing and date of availability? Want

There will also be a P1 phono stage unit, I think also with a X1 PSU input.

Instead of using a phono board inside C1 or L1 a separate analog unit will sound better.
    In C1 it must be converted to digital by an ADC chip on the board - not my favorite when listening to analog.

L1 should like C1 be modular, I'm also a little disappointed about that.
    Price is unknown.

Agree with you on both counts, wizard...

Allen

It looks like SimCity !

What a fantastic design !

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post

L1 like C1 can be used in mono mode.

With 4 X1's and a pair of M1's this will be one of the best sounding combinations available.

I just demo'd the new L1 pre with X1 power supply and it is killer with the C1. If you think you're happy using the C1 as a pre, just listen to the L1 with it. I thought it would be an improvement going in but did not expect what I heard. The grip and power tempered with finesse is shocking. So much musical information but portrayed so organically! It takes the CH sound to an entirely new level. Only heard it with X1 though....

Quote Originally Posted by elegy View Post
    I just demo'd the new L1 pre with X1 power supply and it is killer with the C1. If you think you're happy using the C1 as a pre, just listen to the L1 with it. I thought it would be an improvement going in but did not expect what I heard. The grip and power tempered with finesse is shocking. So much musical information but portrayed so organically! It takes the CH sound to an entirely new level. Only heard it with X1 though....
    I always use my C1 with a preamp mainly because I have an analog front end and don't want to digitise my LPs but also because I think it sounds better.

howie

Howie, I think you'd be amazed to hear the L1 with C1 together. I was using the C1 with it's variable output but now that I heard the L1, it's no contest. I did try using the C1 with various high quality tubed and SS pre's but felt that they were introducing artifacts into the system that I did not like. The L1 seems to preserve everything great about the C1 but opens it all up with incredible presence and power. I noticed so much more layering of musical information as well.

Quote Originally Posted by elegy View Post
    Howie, I think you'd be amazed to hear the L1 with C1 together. I was using the C1 with it's variable output but now that I heard the L1, it's no contest. I did try using the C1 with various high quality tubed and SS pre's but felt that they were introducing artifacts into the system that I did not like. The L1 seems to preserve everything great about the C1 but opens it all up with incredible presence and power. I noticed so much more layering of musical information as well.
    Thanks. I am using the C1 with my M8 Audio Note Preamp and I like the sound but I would be intrigued to try the L1 too although I must admit I like my tubed preamps.

howie

Like all CH Precision products, the L1 is highly versatile: 3 configurations are possible:

Dual Monaural (the L1 holds two channels in a single chassis)
    Monaural (two L1s work together, each one processing a single channel, one board in each chassis)
    Monaural Extended (two L1s work together, each one processing a single channel, however with two boards in each L1 chassis, allowing twice the amount of inputs).

All these configurations can be further enhanced by adding the X1 External power supply.

l13.JPG l14.JPG l15.JPG

L1

After much deliberation, i've made the jump to an L1. Hoping to see it by next week. Can't wait to get it in the system. I adore the Nagra Jazz, though i have really missed having more than one balanced xlr input and stoked about the synergy with the c1/x1 combo.
    Any L1 users out there? If so, and you are using the dual monaural config, what power unit do you use? Internal, shared x1, or dedicated x1?
    Looking for actual user experiences with any of these power configs.

Congrats, Chris! I believe Jack may have one.

Allen

L1

Thanks Allen.
    L1 arrived this week and has been in the system several days. Enough to get a sense of what it brings to the table. I knew it would be good synergy with the C1 on digital playback but wasn't sure how it would do on the analog side of things. Well it is beyond my highest expectations. I have been totally immersed.
    Improved spatial realism, better bass def and speed. The system keeps up with the full band tempo of Art Pepper +11 take of Dizzy's "Shawnuff".
    Vinyl playback is super quiet. Nice to be able to adjust gain on each input.
    Had a few questions related to setup and adjusting settings and Loris at CH and Gideon at Audioarts have both provided top drawer assistance to help me optimize the setup.
    Supposed to keep things warming up for a week or so to settle in the fresh electronics but i'm pretty stoked as it is. Fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Though I am not directly familiar with Audionet amplifiers, but for CH fans, here's a great new review of the L1.
    http://positive-feedback.com/reviews...ion-l1-preamp/

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Thanks Allen.
    L1 arrived this week and has been in the system several days. Enough to get a sense of what it brings to the table. I knew it would be good synergy with the C1 on digital playback but wasn't sure how it would do on the analog side of things. Well it is beyond my highest expectations. I have been totally immersed.
    Improved spatial realism, better bass def and speed. The system keeps up with the full band tempo of Art Pepper +11 take of Dizzy's "Shawnuff".
    Vinyl playback is super quiet. Nice to be able to adjust gain on each input.
    Had a few questions related to setup and adjusting settings and Loris at CH and Gideon at Audioarts have both provided top drawer assistance to help me optimize the setup.
    Supposed to keep things warming up for a week or so to settle in the fresh electronics but i'm pretty stoked as it is. Fun!
    How does it compare to the Nagra Jazz?

I am a true Nagra fan and love the Jazz. It does many many things right for me, and especially when I added the optional balanced input transformer board. In comparison, in my system, the L1 brings more soundstage depth, clarity/resolution and clearly related, a silent noise floor.
    The Nagra brings a slightly warmer sound, less resolving but very musical. The CH is more neutral.
    They are both exceptionally built, though the CH has more user configurability (gain trim for inputs, fully balanced design, more XLR connections, etc.) The Nagra is a more mechanical aesthetic (modulometer, rotating switches, etc.) on an impressively small footprint.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

L1