Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: 560 d/a

560 d/a

soulution 560 D/A-Converter

Philosophy

In many areas the 560 D/A-Converter is based on the same proven technical solutions used in the 745 SACD-Player. It also embodies the same principles in its design: top grade digital inter*faces for optimal reception of the music data, a super-precise master clock generator to avoid jitter, intelligent digital signal processing with over*sampling technology, and analogue output stages of top end pre*amplifier quality.
    Design

As with its Series 7 sibling the 560 D/A-Converter is packed with cutting-edge tech*nology with one objective - the love of music. The parallels include a consistent dual mono design in the output stages and separate power supplies for digital elec*tronics and the analogue stages. The 560 D/A-Converter adds a digital volume control that allows direct connec*tion to a power amplifier.
    Upsampling

Audio data is buffered then upsampled to 24Bit/384kHz. We believe precision of inter*polation is more impor*tant than high clock rates. Our players and D/A converters use an algorithm from the highly regarded Anagram Technologies followed by Burr Brown D/A converters in a digital symmetric configuration. As we consider the PCM conversion technology as superior, the DSD signals get converted before its final D/A conversion.

The Zero-Phase-Technology eliminates potential timing/phase errors in the analog output signal. Every D/A converter requires an analog low pass filter in its output in order to suppress high frequency noise and aliasing signals. The 560's 3rd order bessel filter, with a cut-off frequency of 120kHz, does show a phase shift of up to 15° in the audio band. Due to the Zero-Phase-Technology the phase error of the analog music signal remains below 1°, 20Hz - 100kHz! The Zero-Phase-Technology brings you even closer to the beauty of the source material! No detail gets lost.
    D/A-conversion

Burr-Brown devices perform D/A conversion only. Their internal upsampling and filter stages are not used. The output currents are converted to voltage and then filtered. With an internal bandwidth of 40 MHz, this current/voltage conversion stage allows best signal-to-noise performance and maximum dynamics in the analogue domain.
    Output stage

The wideband output stage of the 560 D/A-Converter has a bandwidth of 20MHz (-3dB). With such speed of response all musical details are reproduced true to life creating a three-dimensional, spatial sound to bring real listening pleasure.
    Operation

The 560 D/A-Converter is operated from front-panel buttons and a rotary control. Further functions can be used to optimise and match an entire audio system around different components.
    Connections

Analog outputs:
    - 1 x balanced output (XLR)
    - 1 x unbalanced output (RCA)
    Digital outputs:
    - 1 x SPDIF (RCA)
    - 1 xAES/EBU (XLR)
    - 1 x Optical (Toslink)
    Digital inputs:
    - 1 x SPDIF (RCA)
    - 1 x AES/EBU (XLR)
    - 1 x Optical (Toslink)
    - 1 x USB
    - 1 x Ethernet
    LINK-System
    - 2 x RJ45

Audioshark

Re: 560 d/a

It looks good Kev....I'm afraid to ask the cost.

I find it interesting to look at the different approaches. Soulution above says they find PCM superior and converts all DSD to PCM. PS audio has been quite busy here telling everyone DSD is superior and their new DAC converts all PCM to DSD.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I see they used the famous Burr Brown D/A converters just like what I have in my Bel Canto dac3.5vb MKII. Smart thinking!
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers

Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolators | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton + Typhon | Shunyata Hydra 2 Power Conditioner

Thanks for posting, Kev! I have a thing for Swiss gear now...

Allen

Any one hear this yet?????

I think the DAC in the 541 is basically the same as the one in the 560. Leroy (Odyssey) has the 541, so he may be able to help.

I'm not sure anyone else on the forum has either piece yet.
    Jon

Leroy......if you can break away from those D5's give us a holler on what you think of the 541's dac. (If I had his system I probably would never stop listening to reply .)

560 d/a

I think the 541 and the 560 definitely share the same DAC. I believe Arturo confirmed this with me last week. Also, I just found out that you could add streaming capabilities to the 541 at a significant price, of course.
    Design Audio Video is a dealer for:

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:
    Raidho, Focal, Revel, Dynaudio, JBL, Sonus Faber

Cables:
    Tara Labs, Shunyata, Nordost, Straightwire, Ansuz, Transparent

Accessories:
    Stillpoints, Quadraspire, Shelter, Transrotor

540 to 541

I'm sending my 540 in for upgrade to 541 soon. I'll be sure to report back.....
    Streamer 10k addition on top of the 10k for the 541 board which is totally absurd....that doesn't mean I don't want it but you've got to draw the line at some point.

Re: 540 to 541

Does "drawing the line" mean that you stopped at the 541 upgrade or did you add streaming capability too?
    Jon

No streamer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Leroy......if you can break away from those D5's give us a holler on what you think of the 541's dac. (If I had his system I probably would never stop listening to reply .)
    Had a few friends over this past weekend who have piles of vinyl and hard core analogue apologists. We had a "shootout" as it were between the sound of the 541 w streaming dac and the newly delivered Bergmann TT. Out of 6 discs spinned vs matching CD's most of us had a very hard time telling the difference between the two formats. I could not tell the difference in almost all instances. This was a surprise. I'm an analogue fan. I was a hard core R2R guy years ago. I've been restocking my LP collection in anticipation of the new TT. I was expecting a different experience with the Bergmann, but...

I am pleased that I was nudged in the direction of getting the 541 spec'd the way that it is.
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Wow very impressive. I am trying to decide whether to do analog or digital first. I was leaning toward analog, but now............??

Thanks Le Roy

Paul, let me emphasize that there was not consensus formed on all tracks between the vinyl and digital content. I can only emphasize what I heard and the lines were more blurred w others present.

Something else strange. When I stream Spotify (and I do this when I am reading) thru the 541 DAC, it sounds fairly presentable despite the fact that the content is only coming thru at 320 kbps max. there are some cuts that sound pretty good! I think that the Swiss have figured something out!
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Le Roy,

Have you had a chance to compare formats: red label versus high def PCM versus DSD 64 or 128??

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Le Roy,

Have you had a chance to compare formats: red label versus high def PCM versus DSD 64 or 128??
    Paul, just buy the thing.... You'll give yourself a hernia. I've been through all of this when MSB were the owners of the same real estate, Le roy has "the 5's" & a pretty decent set-up to compliment them. For us it is the now or what was, lots of great music lost in the interim in other words....

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    Paul, just buy the thing.... You'll give yourself a hernia. I've been through all of this when MSB were the owners of the same real estate, Le roy has "the 5's" & a pretty decent set-up to compliment them. For us it is the now or what was, lots of great music lost in the interim in other words....
    Kev, I like your style. Good advice!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; June 4, 2016 at 07:27 PM.

Wizard,

Not into Google Blog. Can you share your thoughts here? Would love to get your findings.

Le Roy

Foundation:

After reading that review I want one really bad, it sounds like it would be my ultimate DAC. I have to remember a bit of wisdom my father repeatedly told me when I was growing up, which is that "it's good to want". His explanation was that you should always have some things that you desire in order to keep you ambitious and hard working. My response was generally that "it may be good to want but it's better to have!" Maybe I should follow his advice in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    After reading that review I want one really bad, it sounds like it would be my ultimate DAC. I have to remember a bit of wisdom my father repeatedly told me when I was growing up, which is that "it's good to want". His explanation was that you should always have some things that you desire in order to keep you ambitious and hard working. My response was generally that "it may be good to want but it's better to have!" Maybe I should follow his advice in this case.
    Cracker post, my thoughts at a young age would have been "I want you to shut up!", if my father had of said that

It's good, very good. One of the few dacs that is accurate & detracts nothing.

Didn't know you changed the speakers to Marten. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Didn't know you changed the speakers to Marten. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which digital input(s) are you using on the 560?
    Le Roy

Foundation:

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    Which digital input(s) are you using on the 560?
    Have tried the toslink & usb as didn't have a digital cable. What do you recommend?

Have tried the toslink & usb as didn't have a digital cable. What do you recommend?
    I use the ethernet connection for my NAS content. I also use AES/EBU via LUMIN. I also employ the USB connection.

To my ears in my system the ethernet connection sounds best with the 560 DAC.
    Le Roy

Foundation:

Haven't tried the ethernet yet, will do, thanks.

Soulution have just announced an upgrade for their DACs. A Leedh Processor that will transform the digital volume control. Cyril informed me that 560 with Leedh will out perform the 520. This is of great interest for me as I have a digital only system. The 560 could then suffice as both an excellent pre and digital hub..
    I'm sending mine off for the upgrade
    this is what Soulution has to say

soulution introduces « Leedh Processing » to its D/A converters 760 and 560

soulution is the first high end electronics manufacturer world-wide who was allowed to license «Leedh Processing» for its D/A converters 560 and 760. «Leedh Processing» is a highly innovative algorithm for increasing or decreasing the volume level of a digital music signal. The patented «Leedh Processing» algorithm does this without adding any artefacts to the digital music signal. No information will be lost while adjusting the volume. This results in revealing even thinnest details and a tremendous richness of micro dynamics otherwise unavailable from digital music playback and usually associated with analog/vinyl music reproduction. Existing units of 760 and 560 can be upgraded for the new «Leedh Processing» volume control feature.
    «Leedh Processing» has been invented by Gilles Millot of Acoustical Beauty, a French niche manufacturer for high end loudspeaker systems who already holds several patents for his innovative designs and technologies. The innovative «Leedh Processing» algorithm is not limited to applications in high end audio. It will also do its magic in lower quality, mass market products or even in applications outside audio.

Quote Originally Posted by jussy1254 View Post
    Soulution have just announced an upgrade for their DACs. A Leedh Processor that will transform the digital volume control. Cyril informed me that 560 with Leedh will out perform the 520. This is of great interest for me as I have a digital only system. The 560 could then suffice as both an excellent pre and digital hub..
    I'm sending mine off for the upgrade
    this is what Soulution has to say

soulution introduces « Leedh Processing » to its D/A converters 760 and 560

soulution is the first high end electronics manufacturer world-wide who was allowed to license «Leedh Processing» for its D/A converters 560 and 760. «Leedh Processing» is a highly innovative algorithm for increasing or decreasing the volume level of a digital music signal. The patented «Leedh Processing» algorithm does this without adding any artefacts to the digital music signal. No information will be lost while adjusting the volume. This results in revealing even thinnest details and a tremendous richness of micro dynamics otherwise unavailable from digital music playback and usually associated with analog/vinyl music reproduction. Existing units of 760 and 560 can be upgraded for the new «Leedh Processing» volume control feature.
    «Leedh Processing» has been invented by Gilles Millot of Acoustical Beauty, a French niche manufacturer for high end loudspeaker systems who already holds several patents for his innovative designs and technologies. The innovative «Leedh Processing» algorithm is not limited to applications in high end audio. It will also do its magic in lower quality, mass market products or even in applications outside audio.

... do you have any more information about the upgrade? Is it hardware based or software? I am very interested in this upgrade & will be doing it for sure!

It is both. The volume control needs to be changed. Software upgraded too. Cost is $5500
    Mine is on it's way

Quote Originally Posted by jussy1254 View Post
    It is both. The volume control needs to be changed. Software upgraded too. Cost is $5500
    Mine is on it's way
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I find it interesting to look at the different approaches. Soulution above says they find PCM superior and converts all DSD to PCM. PS audio has been quite busy here telling everyone DSD is superior and their new DAC converts all PCM to DSD.
    I too prefer PCM.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I too prefer PCM.
    I can only say that my Soulution 560 replaced my Nagra hd dac. The Soulution is PCM and the Nagra is DSD.
    i find the 560 far superior in all respects

I've had a lot of gear through my racks of late & the 560 is still there

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Haha,... I bet you're not scared of the price now!! Mate, you're up for a huge tax rebate this year I reckon...

Hello
    Recently I can listen to 560 vs DCS Rossini Apex, on a very good system, and to my ears Soulution sounds very good, with a more realistic presentation. Because I just bought 560.
    My question is which is the best option to connect 560 to 721 pre, RCA or XLR, taking into account that I only need 1 meter of cable

Quote Originally Posted by Germanchu View Post
    Hello
    Recently I can listen to 560 vs DCS Rossini Apex, on a very good system, and to my ears Soulution sounds very good, with a more realistic presentation. Because I just bought 560.
    My question is which is the best option to connect 560 to 721 pre, RCA or XLR, taking into account that I only need 1 meter of cable
    Soulution recommends using the XLR connections in their manual (referred to as symmetrical connections), and I'd think that to be particularly beneficial when connecting two Soulution components.

Really, XLR or RCA version of the same cable should sound no different. If you need to buy a new cable, buy XLR. If you already have a good RCA, use it.
    Speakers: Magico M3, ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.8
    | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere (4 x 6TB) | Power: Shunyata Typhon-QR, Everest and Denali

Thanks a lot for your answer, I have tried some and the ones I liked the most are XLR Ansuz Diamond 2 .
    I come from Linn and the control point i was using was fantastic.
    I try several software with Soulution 560 ,and I didn't like them very much, which one do you recommend ?
    Thanks so much for the help
    Last edited by Germanchu; February 14, 2023 at 01:44 PM. Reason: xlr

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

560 d/a