Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator

Re: Jeff Rowland S2 Continuum in the house!

Welcome bigblue!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Any updates Mike?
    Doug

Thanks joeinid. I'm looking forward hearing the impressions on this and other topics in the future .

Welcome to AS, bigblue!

Allen

Super Moderator

Thank you for joining!

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
    Thanks joeinid. I'm looking forward hearing the impressions on this and other topics in the future .
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Any news on the progress Mike? Really looking forward hearing your thoughts here.

Audioshark

Any news on the progress Mike? Really looking forward hearing your thoughts here.
    It's breaking in nicely and is the leading contender right now. I still have a few more integrated amps I want to try like the Musical Fidelity, new Levinson 585 and maybe even Vitus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks Mike. Do you have any info as to when the Levinson will be available in the shops? Unfortunately I missed it when visiting the High End Show in Münich this year.
    What Musical Fidelity are you considering a contender on this level? I have auditioned the M6i and the M6 500i in my home. But for me the Auidio Reserach DSI200 beat them and others - and stayed.

Audioshark

Thanks Mike. Do you have any info as to when the Levinson will be available in the shops? Unfortunately I missed it when visiting the High End Show in Münich this year.
    What Musical Fidelity are you considering a contender on this level? I have auditioned the M6i and the M6 500i in my home. But for me the Auidio Reserach DSI200 beat them and others - and stayed.
    The Levinson should be out next month (July). The Musical Fidelity I wanted to try is the M6500I. What speakers are you using?

On another note, I must get Brent over here with his VAC i160 SE. He says it's a killer and I really like the Raidho/VAC synergy.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I have the Sonus Faber Olympica 3.
    Just got word from Jeff Rowland that there is a demo unit I could borrow for evaluation at home. That would be treat. But if Mark Levinson is releasing their new integrated already this summer - I'd like to wait for that as well.
    In my set up the MF M6 500i was a true power house. But the emphasis was on the high and low notes. The voices in between got lost a bit. And since I love products that are organic rather than analytical this unit was a tad on the "hard" side .
    Last edited by bigblue; June 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Just got mail from Jeff Rowland

Audioshark

Oh, I like those speakers. Nice. Heard them at CES with ARC gear and they sounded great. I would try the McIntosh 8000 integrated if I was you. Not sure it would be better than ARC on SF. The new VAC i160 SE would be worth a try too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks. Those speakers are really pushing the right hifi buttons for me. I have had the MA8000 on my short list as well. The "new" McIntosh sound would fit the speakers and my ears perfect I think. The size however is one downsize. I'd have to rearrange my cabinet and open up a hole in the rear wall in order to make room for it. The compact size in combination with 800 W is one of the things that intrigues me with the Continuum S2.

Audioshark

You know another one I would look at is the Vitus RI-100.

I would love to hear ANYTHING Vitus as well.

Mike, the Ayre Integrated received some great reviews. Here's Art Dudley's take.

Here's a snippet:

"On the plus side, it's one of the three best, most musical, most human-sounding solid-state amps I've ever heard, in which regards it rivals the DNM PA3-S and the darTZeel NHB-108. Heck, it's one of the finest amps I've lived with, period. As such—and as something that takes the place of both preamp and power amp, and to which one need add only a good phono preamp—the AX-5 is a respectably good value. I can imagine this product becoming something of a standard, and deservedly so."

Allen

Also...guys don't forget Constellation Audio's new Inspiration line. The first three that came out are the Pre 1.0 ($9K), Stereo 1.0 ($10K) and Monos 1.0 ($20K) but I believe they said, an integrated amp, phono amp, DAC and media player are coming out later this year. And from what I remember, the integrated will be 200wpc into 8ohms and double that into 4ohms. If I had to guess the integrated will be in the $10-12K range putting it in similar territory to the new ML 585 and the Vitus RI-100.

Constellation Audio Introduces Inspiration Series of Preamplifiers and Amplifiers | Ultra High-End Audio and Home Theater Review

http://audiofi.net/2014/05/three-new...llation-audio/
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Audioshark

You're right Cyril. Good point.

Any updates on the review? Looking forward to this.

Looking for Integrated Amp for my Harbeth SHL5, it might be JR S2.

jhameeh

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum jhameeh!

Thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Jameeh, welcome to the thread....

Have you had a look at Roy Gregory's thorough review of the Rowland Continuum S2 at:
    Jeff Rowland Design Group Continuum S2 Integrated Amplifier - The Audio Beat - www.TheAudioBeat.com
    It contains a wealth of detailed observations on this integrated.
    Regards, Guido
    Electronics: Rowland Daemon 1500W Superintegrated, Rowland Aeris DAC+PSU, M925 430W monos, Esoteric X-01 transport
    Speakers: Vienna Die Muzik
    Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond XL PCs, Clear Reflection XLR ICs and speaker wires, Clear digital coax

IMG_4217.jpg
    I had the pleasure of a Continuum S2 home loan over the summer to evaluate the amp and to see how it performed against my Audio Research DSI200. I now own a Jeff Rowland integrated . It is unbelievably good. I really loved the DSI but the JR was better in all respects (except price...). You have way more bass information. The timbre evolving from the lower frequencies is mindblowing. And, it also plays the smaller, more delicate notes just as well. The soundstage is the same size as the Audio Research but without the "signature" you get from the DSI200. Everything simply sounds more natural, true and "live".

Audioshark

Congrats!!

Congrats

It's i really nice amp

IMG_4217.jpg
    I had the pleasure of a Continuum S2 home loan over the summer to evaluate the amp and to see how it performed against my Audio Research DSI200. I now own a Jeff Rowland integrated . It is unbelievably good. I really loved the DSI but the JR was better in all respects (except price...). You have way more bass information. The timbre evolving from the lower frequencies is mindblowing. And, it also plays the smaller, more delicate notes just as well. The soundstage is the same size as the Audio Research but without the "signature" you get from the DSI200. Everything simply sounds more natural, true and "live".
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

bigblue...congrats on the S2 What is the rest of your rig?
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Thank you! I have the Sonus Faber Olympica 3 speakers a full loom of Wireworld cables and an Oppo 105 who will act as a transport when the DAC arrives .

I see this thread stopped pretty abruptly. Mike, what happened? Do you still have the S2? Did you go for Hegel as I see in your signature? Tell us (me) more! If so, can you compare the two, side by side? I'm planning an upgrade soon and S2, Model 525 or Hegel H20/30 would be targeted. The Ayre integrated sounds interesting too.
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
    I see this thread stopped pretty abruptly. Mike, what happened? Do you still have the S2? Did you go for Hegel as I see in your signature? Tell us (me) more! If so, can you compare the two, side by side? I'm planning an upgrade soon and S2, Model 525 or Hegel H20/30 would be targeted. The Ayre integrated sounds interesting too.
    It all depends on your speakers and what you are trying to achieve. I thought the S2 after 1000 hours started to sound nice, but it always retained that Class D sonic signature. If your goal is an integrated for a pair of Raidho speakers, it's hard to beat the S2. It leaned out the bass and had the speed to keep up with the fast Raidho woofers. Just don't expect anything from the built in phonostage. I never tried the DAC.

I found the Hegel H300 much more musical, but a bass nightmare with my Raidho D3's. The H300 has loads of bass and even at RMAF on a pair of Magico S3's it was boomy as hell.

So first, what speakers will you be using with your new integrated?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It all depends on your speakers and what you are trying to achieve. I thought the S2 after 1000 hours started to sound nice, but it always retained that Class D sonic signature. If your goal is an integrated for a pair of Raidho speakers, it's hard to beat the S2. It leaned out the bass and had the speed to keep up with the fast Raidho woofers. Just don't expect anything from the built in phonostage. I never tried the DAC.

I found the Hegel H300 much more musical, but a bass nightmare with my Raidho D3's. The H300 has loads of bass and even at RMAF on a pair of Magico S3's it was boomy as hell.

So first, what speakers will you be using with your new integrated?
    My Raidho's of course. I'm more of a computer audiophile so I'm not interested in the phono stage or the DAC for the S2. In fact I wonder if S2 is not too much - I can use the exaSound's pre with great success and use a Model 525 very well. My budget is pretty limited anyway.
    What about that boomy bass? How did you solve it? For me a fast and punchy bass is a must. It's a sonic trait of all Raidho's that I very much like.
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Audioshark

It decreased the bass to listenable levels. If you want lots of bass - go for the Hegel H300!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It decreased the bass to listenable levels. If you want lots of bass - go for the Hegel H300!

I'm not sure I understand... You said you've sticked to Hegel. You also said that Hegel has lots of bass - 'nightmare bass with the Raidho's' was your saying. How did you solve the problem 'cause I see you still have the Hegel H30 at your signature but no Jeff Rowland?
    I don't want lots of bass, Mike. I like controlled, fast and detailed bottom end. My Raidho's don't go down too much, but for my room, my taste and especially my money they're very ok at least for the time being.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Jeff Rowland S2 Continuum in the house!