Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Question Laptops - Smartphones - Tablets ... Questions and all that jazz ...

I noticed that the sound coming from the small left speaker on my new Sony laptop is distorted, even at lower volume!
    Is this normal or is there a setting somewhere to improve this? I had to lower the volume at 20 (from a max of 100 on the laptop setting itself - volume control on the bottom right setting, and not the one from the video), but still on certain passages the small left speaker distorted.

Earlier today I connected a pair of cans , and it was better. I was simply listening to music from NPR (Tiny Desk Concerts) music videos.

You guys with laptops here; do you find the integrated speakers decent, or do you also experience distortion?

Also, it would be interesting to know what the Shark members here are using as tablets, laptops and smartphones.
    Me I know nothing (not much at all) in this brand new world to me, as I just got my first smartphone ever about two weeks ago; a Motorola Moto G (Canadian 8GB version), and my first ever laptop, this Sony Vaio Fit15 laptop (SVF15213CDB - Canadian version) just few days ago.

I know that Rob likes Nokia and HTC and Windows (he works for Microsoft), and Mike (our host) likes his iPhone.

About you guys; laptops or tablets, brands, your phones, and all that portable jazz?

Hey, with those toys we get music and videos (Audio and Visual), so it is directly related to our Audio hobby.
    Plus we learn about new artists (musicians and all), and new speakers, amplifiers, Ultra HD TVs, 3D, 4K, Surround Sound Processors, Dirac Live, REW, good deals, and everything else that the world has to offer and not. ...At home or on the go.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Audioshark

Re: Laptops - Smartphones - Tablets ... Questions and all that jazz ...

Bob - I would check the volume in Windows first. Maybe set it at 50%? Then use the volume on your laptop from there. See how that works.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

The volume on Windows is not the one that you adjust on the bottom right of your screen? ...Little speaker logo, with a vertical volume control when you click on it.

If not, how do I get to the Windows volume Mike?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    The volume on Windows is not the one that you adjust on the bottom right of your screen? ...Little speaker logo, with a vertical volume control when you click on it.
    Indeed it is. I checked earlier in the Windows menu, and it's the same level adjustment.

* My left speaker is caput! I wasn't dreaming. ...And back it goes to the store! A bummer for sure because now it's back to my old cancerous PC with XP!
    It is all my fault; I shouldn't have bought it in the first place. The store has nothing to do with that; it's not their job to tell customers about a small faulty speaker.

Thx Paul, I appreciate the cool link. ...I owe you one.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Did anyone here has ever removed the under cover of his laptop to replace a blown speaker? Should I tried that myself or else?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Bob, take it back if you can. I wouldn't mess around with trying to fix anything unless you have to. Laptops can be difficult to disassemble and reassemble properly and could void your warranty. All of my laptops have been able to play to 100% without distortion.

I was talking with a Sony tech earlier today, and we made some tests and lo and behold he confirmed that my left speaker is distortioning, duh.

It's very sad because the laptop is nice, perfect for me, and full of my own stuff already, but it's going back to the store for a full refund.
    There they can deal with that broken speaker, but I certainly not will deal with it myself, like sending it to a Sony repair center, wait two or six months, and then get it back with the issue still remaining!

It is quite frustrating cause tomorrow I had to talk to the store's tech on how to delete all my things in that laptop!
    It's not like returning a coffee maker.

And I will be back to ZERO, and still chopping for a laptop!!! I hate it! ...My first laptop ever, paid big dollars (almost six clams) and this!

As for that left speaker; hardware of software, flash or not, I just don't want to deal with it.
    I googled around and it is complicated with no really straight answers.
    Sad again because of all this time wasted researching, and time where I could have made at least twenty grands!

And by the way, Dell, Apple (MacBook Air), ...they too have very similar issues, and from that small integrated left speaker.
    - With headphones the sound was fine, from both channels.

Next laptop I know even more what to look for. But this Sony Vaio was very cool, believe me; with a very nice design, fully illuminated keyboard, Intel i5, turbo boost processor (up to 2.7 Ghz), 8 gig of RAM, optical drive, 4 USB ports (two of them 3.0), card slot reader, HDMI out, 750 Gig of memory, Windows 8.1, etc. ...A 2013 model (August 2013) with a MSRP of $630 and I paid $500 + tax (12% in igloo country - Canucks/Penguins northern land) for it.

The past sucks, the future remains to be seen yet.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Yes Matt, you are 100% right; I'll get my full refund (I'm within my 14 days period).

And who knows; the person before me perhaps had returned it for the same reason?

Sometimes you can buy a brand new car and die in it; because it wasn't recall in time (faulty break pedal)!
    Not that long ago you could have purchase few slaves for a good deal, and be better off. ...I'm kidding of course, but I think you see the calamity in both cases.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

She's the first one who showed me that my left speaker was caput. ...On the second day after I purchased my laptop.

~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Bob I have a Samsung laptop for last 5 yrs with ZERO issue. I would highly recommend.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    She's the first one who showed me that my left speaker was caput. ...On the second day after I purchased my lap top
    Ask her for the refund lol
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    Bob I have a Samsung laptop for last 5 yrs with ZERO issue. I would highly recommend.
    Paul, that Vaio laptop is quite amazing; it is a professional portable music and movie studio, with mixing and editing applications if I want to.
    So far that left integrated speaker is the only issue, but with headphones it's ok. What would you do?
    Tomorrow I might know some more...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    Ask her for the refund lol
    But I don't know her, only heard her music video that I posted.

* Eventually we'll be able to drive and use our laptop at the same time, without having to look at the road and the traffic; automatic road travel and piloting from programmable travelling destination.
    And if we truly want to drive, we can race from our laptop.

By the way, this morning I was looking for a Magico thread here @ the Shark, but without success;
    and I'm usually pretty good at searching and finding.
    I guess she was deleted.

And Oscar Pistorious is guilty! But we all knew that already.

...And still no sign of that plane with all its passengers.
    Hopefully the Indian Ocean is the right place to look for her.

And in Africa ...

R.I.P. Jim (our finance minister, here in the Great White North of igloo country - he was a great man).
    - Irish blood, like me.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Laptops - Smartphones - Tablets ... Questions and all that jazz ...