Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my 300b tests

Re: my 300b tests

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    kev looking at your avatar reminded me, i listened to kronzilla a couple times now. first was with allnic dac and was really great . second was with lampi dac and was a bass buzzy mess, and then switched to vinyl and the buzzy bass was gone and sounded great. weak part is definitely the not so perfect bass. strong point is the unbelievable air , soundstage and imaging. but better pair it with the right source.
    Steve, please don't swear at me, j/k. No thanks on that front, been there,horrified with that. Not surprised with your findings, pretty much the same thoughts here too.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    Steve, great thread, just read it in it's entirety. I gotta sell some gear & get me some tubes after reading this. Tubes & digital, hoooaaaaa!
    Kev, I serendipitously got hold of the Allnic D5000 DHT Dac. It's one helluva DAC. Give it a listen. For a SS guy like myself, I am impressed!

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    So good to see you Dan
    Man Paul you change user name more often that I change underwear, and yes I change them daily
    Dan

The older I get the more I know how little I know!

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Kev, I serendipitously got hold of the Allnic D5000 DHT Dac. It's one helluva DAC. Give it a listen. For a SS guy like myself, I am impressed!
    Hey Allen, who says old dogs can't learn new tricks huh? As for the "dac" radar, well, imho, there aren't that many out there that can hit a home run with their design, lots of jagging & getting lucky out there though with the ones that are riding the technology wave. For me it's a great test to get your system somewhere in the ballpark of happy happy or just the singular, don't change a thing except the dac. See how many you go through in 2 years......In all honesty though, as far as tube dacs go, Lampizator destroyed my confidence in that area.

If you really want to be in audio heaven you should try the Takatsuki TA-300b tubes. They are very expensive but are fantastic. I also run the EML 300xls which are very good. The Takatsuki's are special such refinement, clarity, resolution, just a rightness to the sound that is uncanny.
    Joe

Main: Jay's Audio CDT2mk.2 transport & Audio Mirror tubadour III SE DAC, Lyra Kleos SL Cartridge, VPI Classic III with 3D tone arm, K&K Audio premium maxxed-out phonostage, Supratek Sauvignon (highly modded) Tube preamp, Coincident Speaker Tech 300b Frankenstein mk.2 mono blocks, First Watt SIT-3 amp, Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers, PurePower 1500+,PI Audio DigiBuss

Quote Originally Posted by jbtrio View Post
    If you really want to be in audio heaven you should try the Takatsuki TA-300b tubes. They are very expensive but are fantastic. I also run the EML 300xls which are very good. The Takatsuki's are special such refinement, clarity, resolution, just a rightness to the sound that is uncanny.
    +1 on the Takatsukis--they are a revelation

Bruce

For anyone interested in my experiences with 300Bs.........in my Cary 300SE Signatures (love these amps) I have used Cary stock valve (Shuguangs??) and moved through JJs,Triode Corpn. stock 300Bs (unknown origin), WEs - 1980s reissues, Shuguang Black Treasures 300B-Zs and Genelex GLs. I was about to try EMLs but a pair of EATs came my way which are the best Iv'e had in the Carys by a country mile and have remained my valve of choice for a few years. Have heard excellent reports of the Takatsukis but now I have just begun running in a pair of Elrog ER300s (third production run) which are sounding promising but still too early to arrive at any conclusion.

Audioshark

Hi SMP - what's your favorite and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Hi Mike, the EATs are my favourites at present.............they just appear to be perfect for the Carys, they seemingly give the amps more dynamic drive creating a more powerful or "bigger" feel to the music - not to be confused with an "in your face" presentation.Resolution of instruments/voices is super clear compared to the other valves mentioned. I recommended them to a friend who put two pairs in his Audio Note Kegons (think they were Kegons) and he confirmed that they were the best 300Bs he had tried - he was previously using WE NOS. Anyway we will see how the Elrogs go..............

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Smp View Post
    Hi Mike, the EATs are my favourites at present.............they just appear to be perfect for the Carys, they seemingly give the amps more dynamic drive creating a more powerful or "bigger" feel to the music - not to be confused with an "in your face" presentation.Resolution of instruments/voices is super clear compared to the other valves mentioned. I recommended them to a friend who put two pairs in his Audio Note Kegons (think they were Kegons) and he confirmed that they were the best 300Bs he had tried - he was previously using WE NOS. Anyway we will see how the Elrogs go..............
    Thanks! That's a great description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Great thread.

Currently running EH Gold grids in my SET power amp and they sound great to me.
    My amp is fairly new though, so still running in and the sound is bit up and down at the moment.

Better 300Bs will be the way to go for me, so looking at a significant step up from them.
    Thinking (in order):

KR's
    PSvane
    Sophia Princess

thinking the Elrogs as the ultimate valve to go for?
    Like the idea they are a new design by all accounts up there with the best.
    Reliability was a concern though, but I think that was in the early days?
    Anyone hear them and can comment on reliability?

Think the problem was the filaments were fragile with inrush current and was causing premature valve failure, but I think theres a newer version of the valve?
    Might not be an issue amy amp has a soft-start circuit, with no inrush on power up.

Thanks.
    SYSTEM:

PRE: Densen DM20
    POWER: Bespoke 300B SET

DIGITAL:
    Logitech Transporter running Roon
    Modded M2Tech Young with linear PSU
    Self built music Server (5 Star review UK hifi mag! )

ANALOGUE:
    Michell Gyrodec (Modded to Orbe Spec)
    Rewired Technoarm
    Dynavevctor XX2 Mk2 cartridge

SPEAKERS:
    Edingdale (Uk custom build)

CABLING:
    Speaker: TNT "Triple T" Cat5e
    Interconnect: Self built
    Digital: DH Labs/ Black Cat Chris Sommovigo specials

AV:
    60" Samsung Plasma
    Oppo 103D Bluray

POWER: 2KV Hardwired balanced mains transformer

Well the Elrog ER300Bs do better the EATs by quite a significant margin in my Cary 300SE Signatures - didn't really anticipate the stunning sound quality. Did have one Elrog become unacceptably noisy (s/n in the 400s) and distributor immediately sent me a new pair with s/ns in the 1200s and all was well until recently when one became a bit noisy again, so I swopped them between the two monoblocks and they were instantaneously quiet again ????? So far so good.

Thanks for that.
    Apparently the sound quite special, with early reliability issues its good to know the company looks after their customers.
    A good sign.
    SYSTEM:

PRE: Densen DM20
    POWER: Bespoke 300B SET

DIGITAL:
    Logitech Transporter running Roon
    Modded M2Tech Young with linear PSU
    Self built music Server (5 Star review UK hifi mag! )

ANALOGUE:
    Michell Gyrodec (Modded to Orbe Spec)
    Rewired Technoarm
    Dynavevctor XX2 Mk2 cartridge

SPEAKERS:
    Edingdale (Uk custom build)

CABLING:
    Speaker: TNT "Triple T" Cat5e
    Interconnect: Self built
    Digital: DH Labs/ Black Cat Chris Sommovigo specials

AV:
    60" Samsung Plasma
    Oppo 103D Bluray

POWER: 2KV Hardwired balanced mains transformer

Having two Elrogs 300B in the 1150 series.
    Like them a lot.my 300b tests

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
    Ollinn SET 300B, Linn Majik DS-i, Sneaky DS, Mc Systems M3 (mod), Linn LP12, Linn Ekos SE/1, Linn Dynamiked Radikal, Linn Urika, Linn Kandid, Audio Note Zero CDT/2, Steve Herbelin's Tube Dampers, DH Lab powercords, Linn powercords, Nessie Vinylmaster

I have experience with Tak's, Elrog's, Shunguang Black Treasures & EML300bXLS's in Coincident Frankenstein amps.
    I like a bolder, punchier type of sound but still with that 300b magic.
    I have settled on the EML300bXLS for it's excellent sound AND it's reliability and long life expectancy. To me they are truly a "Best Buy".
    IMO the Elrogs are still a crap shoot. In the past reliability issues have plagued the company. They have suppossedly corrected the problems with a better vacuum technique and other advances. In their defense they have been very responsive in replacing any failed tubes. Furthermore they do sound quite nice.
    But in the end, like all things in this hobby, the tubes are system and personal preference dependent.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

It's very nice。I like Elrog 300B。

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

SuperTNT Sapphire crystal 300BD is a special beautiful tube,nothing like this 300B.

do you make any 300b SET integrated?
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

My new 300B SE monoblocks. Halgorythme. They were equipped with the 300B Emission Labs tubes.
    But since the Western Electric tubes are more musical, more defined, more dynamic, more natural, more.... more...more.... of everyrhing....the EML went back to their big boxes.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Super Moderator

Absolutely beautiful Jerome.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
    My new 300B SE monoblocks. Halgorythme. They were equipped with the 300B Emission Labs tubes.
    But since the Western Electric tubes are more musical, more defined, more dynamic, more natural, more.... more...more.... of everyrhing....the EML went back to their big boxes.

Jérôme, you have Halgorythme mono blocks again?!
    Congrats!
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Jérôme, you have Halgorythme mono blocks again?!
    Congrats!
    Hello Bart,

Yes ! I sent you a PM on AA to tell you !
    I got an opportunity for a used pair of 2011 that Cédric just checked in september.
    I will switch between them and the Diafan but always with WE tubes inside !

Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

my 300b tests