Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Re: Music from a farther room

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    Ralph, I've tried using the Darkz footers under the MainzD8. But with the weight of the power cords, it is a balancing act for the footers to make contact with the rack.
    Fair comment Le Roy. Some of my audio friends have located their Ansuz Mainz D8 on a mid rather than lowest rack shelf as the careful combination of power cables heading up and down seems to help the balancing act you speak of.

Ralph,

Thanks for the updates..

What's your opinion on the sonic improvement you've heard on D2.1 ?

How long have you had the Mainz D8 ? I'm using mine on the front end and the Nordost Qb8 for my mono Amps....Very happy with the results.

Possible sonic benefits of Darkz footers over Nordost TC ?....Or stability improvement, or both ?

d.t.c. power cable improvement should be staggering just like the cost :-)

Any progress on acoustic upgrades to the listening room..

Inquisition officially over ...thanks in advance for your patience.

All the best,

Tom SE MI

Quote Originally Posted by hoosiertom View Post
    Ralph,

Thanks for the updates..

What's your opinion on the sonic improvement you've heard on D2.1 ?

Hey Tom,

Without having the D-2 and the D-2.1 side by side in the same audio system it is not possible for me to comment on the sonic improvement of the .1 upgrade.

This means sending my speakers back to the manufacturer for the upgrade will largely be an exercise in “qualified” faith.

The upgrade itself is considerable;

New motor system
    New rubber suspension
    New airflow system
    New binding posts
    New airflow back panel
    Cross over and other smaller changes

When it comes to loudspeaker design I have the utmost respect for Michael Børresen, Raidho’s chief designer. Michael’s research in loudspeaker mechanics and resonances coupled with their most recent findings in airflow design place them in a very rare league. In particular Raidhos application of and advances in computer aided velocity measurements not only reduce or eliminate the need for damping materials and tombstone like cabinets but progress the positive audible characteristics for which Raidho is already well known.

So, while I haven’t had the chance to compare a D-2 and D-2.1 side by side I will take Raidho’s word on the benefits of the upgrade and thank them for the opportunity of having their most up to date loudspeaker.

I will happily and separately reply on your other questions tomorrow.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Hey Tom,

Without having the D-2 and the D-2.1 side by side in the same audio system it is not possible for me to comment on the sonic improvement of the .1 upgrade.

This means sending my speakers back to the manufacturer for the upgrade will largely be an exercise in “qualified” faith.

New motor system
    New rubber suspension
    New airflow system
    New binding posts
    New airflow back panel

When it comes to loudspeaker design I have the utmost respect for Michael Børresen, Raidho’s chief designer. Michael’s research in loudspeaker mechanics and resonances coupled with their most recent findings in airflow design place them in a very rare league. In particular Raidhos application of and advances in computer aided velocity measurements not only reduce or eliminate the need for damping materials and tombstone like cabinets but progress the positive audible characteristics for which Raidho is already well known.

So, while I haven’t had the chance to compare a D-2 and D-2.1 side by side I will take Raidho’s word on the benefits of the upgrade and thank them for the opportunity of having their most up to date loudspeaker.

Hi Ralph, it is my understanding the there is not just a new motor system in the new Dx.1 series but whole new drivers.

These drivers are purported to play at much higher SPL's. My question is if you change the driver are you changing some characteristic of the Raidho sound that makes them so endearing to the people (including myself) that are spellbound by their magic?

I also understand the the new .1 series are going to have something called "active tesla coil" technology built in to the new series. I have no firm idea of what this means but it sounds promising.

I'm inclined to take it on faith that they sound better. But I already am quite pleased with the sound. In a state of audio bliss. I've been told by others that it is quite easy to be knock off of this perch by making changes to ones system. Therefore my conviction must be quite high extending beyond inclination to hearing with my own ears when possible.

I too have the greatest respect for Mr. Borresen. Here is an interview with him from Alpha Audio:

Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Thanks Ralph.... I appreciate the integrity and generosity of your posts

Hey Tom,

New motor system
    New rubber suspension
    New airflow system
    New binding posts
    New airflow back panel

Sounds like a great idea...

I've had good luck putting several Mapleshade brass pucks on top of my Mainz D8 to stabilize it...YMMV

Fair comment Le Roy. Some of my audio friends have located their Ansuz Mainz D8 on a mid rather than lowest rack shelf as the careful combination of power cables heading up and down seems to help the balancing act you speak of.

Hi Ralph, it is my understanding the there is not just a new motor system in the new X.1 series but whole new drivers.

These drivers are purported to play at much higher SPL's. My question is if you change the driver are you changing some characteristic of the Raidho sound that makes them so endearing to the people (including myself) that are spellbound by their magic?

Hello Le Roy,

Yes, new drivers will be installed as part of the upgrade. These drivers employ Raidhos latest thinking on motor systems and suspension design.

Personally, the ability for the speaker to handle higher SPL’s is not an incentive to upgrade. My D-2’s already deliver 105dB (c-weighted) as measured at my listening position – which means power handling for the loudspeaker exceeds 110dB, more than enough for my requirements.

What is of interest to me is the possibility of a lower noise floor and improved transient speed.

A lower noise floor should be of interest to all audiophiles because this is causally linked to greater dynamic range, improved resolution and logically a quieter, blacker and more dramatic backdrop against which to appreciate the music means more music. Noise in all forms, mechanical, electrical, environmental etc. is unwanted energy.

Blackness is one of the most endearing and addictive qualities of Raidho loudspeakers for me. I’ve constantly observed that with increases in blackness comes obvious gain in transparency and solidity of images. The result rewards the soundstage which becomes more defined and stable. The improved definition which ‘blackness’ aids not only improves the leading edge of notes but also their harmonic envelopment and decay. Hand in hand with this comes a dramatic increase in low level resolution producing music that is full of immediacy, presence, communication and emotion.

You’ve asked whether a change of drivers might lead to a change in some characteristics of the Raidho sound that makes them so endearing to the people?

The honest answer is I simply don’t know for sure and will have no way of conclusively knowing until I’ve listened to the upgraded speaker in a familiar environment.

However, if I had reason to believe that the upgrade might diminish some of the qualities which I find so addictive with Raidho speakers I would not proceed with the upgrade. After all, I find no fault with and indeed I am fully satisfied with my Raidho D-2 loudspeakers as they are today and therefore shelling out 7500 Euros + freight is clearly a risk – but a calculated risk. You see, if Michael Børresen knows what he’s about and delivers on his promise of an upgrade that provides a quieter, darker, more dramatic audio reproduction then the money will be well spent and as of this time I see no reason why the upgrade would degrade the gorgeous tonal colours, transient speed and delicate detail that have made Raidho such hits in the market. Moreover, as an owner of the earlier C.0 product I witnessed first-hand the advance of the C.1. Later still I witnessed the advance of the D-series over the C-series; point being, these guys have an established track record, a pedagogical model, reputation and standing of continuous product improvement and therefore I have defensible reason to look upon the D.1 advance with great optimism.

Of course there is still the issue of cost, which exclusive of freight is 7500 Euro for the D2 and 9800 Euro for the D3. Is that reasonable?

My thoughts here are that very few upgrades come for no cost and in some respects we are fortunate that an upgrade path is made available. In providing such a pathway Raidho is showing its continued support for customers and perhaps an acknowledgement that updates are an opportunity to build customer loyalty. In recent contrast, Magico did not provide an upgrade path for its S5 owners (BOO!) and on the issue of price, it was recently reported that the Magico Q7 Mk II upgrade which provides a new tweeter, midrange, crossover and re-machined faceplate is an eye watering US$44k + freight; and if you wanted just the tweeter upgraded that would relieve you of US$20k.

Thanks for the video Le Roy, very interesting.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Ralph,

[…]

How long have you had the Mainz D8 ? I'm using mine on the front end and the Nordost Qb8 for my mono Amps....Very happy with the results.

Possible sonic benefits of Darkz footers over Nordost TC ?....Or stability improvement, or both ? […]

Hey Tom,

I’ve had the Ansuz Mainz D8 power distributor for some time but only recently wrote about it. I think the product is awesome and I’m pleased to read you are also very happy with the results. I’d be interested to learn from you what the D8 has contributed to your system? Were your findings similar or different from mine?

For my system, the only place I’d entertain using the Darkz footers is under the Mainz D8 as the design – in particular the non-resonant casing and the shape thereof – both lends itself to their use and precludes or retards the use or effectiveness of other footers. For other equipment I prefer to use Nordost Sort TC Kones, a conclusion reached after many hours of using both products under various electronic components in my system.

Interestingly, both the Darkz footers and the Sort Kones were designed by Lars and I still own some Coldray footers – another Lars contribution which pre-dates the above.

I have not as yet tried the Darkz d.tc footers in my system though look forward to an opportunity to do so in the next few months.

Hello All = I am moving from a system comprised of Shindo D'Yquem amps/Vosnee-Romanee pre/Devore O96 speakers to a Viola Lab Symphony amp/Crescendo pre and Raidho 2.1's. While the Shindo/Devore setup conveyed lovely tonality and emotion and was extremely captivating, ultimately I found it to be a two-dimensional, smaller soundstage than I am desiring. My hope is that the Viola/Raidho pairing will bring the same beautiful tonality with more layering, depth, larger soundstage. Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndLiner View Post
    Hello All = I am moving from a system comprised of Shindo D'Yquem amps/Vosnee-Romanee pre/Devore O96 speakers to a Viola Lab Symphony amp/Crescendo pre and Raidho 2.1's. While the Shindo/Devore setup conveyed lovely tonality and emotion and was extremely captivating, ultimately I found it to be a two-dimensional, smaller soundstage than I am desiring. My hope is that the Viola/Raidho pairing will bring the same beautiful tonality with more layering, depth, larger soundstage. Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated!

Hello 2ndLiner and welcome to the forum.

Wow, moving from Shindo and DeVore to Viola and Raidho is a substantive change.

The Shindo/DeVore setup should not have been two dimensional nor lacking in sound-stage. I wonder whether speaker placement or issues with room acoustics have had a bearing on the result?

While I have not paired Viola and Raidho I'd gamble you'll find the tonality to be different and the Viola/Raidho combo will certainly be more dynamic. Assuming proper placement, the Raidho loudspeaker can cast deep and wide sound-stage with brilliant layering.

Speaker placement is critical. 9' or 3M apart is a great starting point and toed in pointing to your shoulders. You don't need to sit too far back - maybe 7' or just over 2M. So they can be kind of be considered a nearfield speaker. Farther away is also very good. My D2's are 1M from the back wall to the tweeter (farther is better but I have no more room to give up). Closest side wall is just under 2M. I have a difficult room. One thing I love about the D series is the little to no room treatments are needed. Raidho recommends those twigs from Ikea for a little dispersion.

Congrats on the Viola/D2.1's and welcome to the forum of friendly Sharks
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Forgot to mention. My D2's were 7' apart and they sounded good but finally moving them to 9' made a big difference.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Thank you for the replies, gentlemen! The Devore's may have been "too much" speaker for my 13x12x8 listening room. And when a local dealer came over with Kharma db7's driven by Viola Labs gear I was blown away! Much bigger soundstage, detail/layering, depth, and exquisite tonality equaling the Shindo/Devore setup. Unfortunately, the ride to making a deal was too bumpy for my taste so I had to pass on the Kharma's. It was on this forum that I was lead to Raidho and am hopeful that it will deliver what I seek, sonically speaking. While waiting for my D2.1's to arrive, I experimented by connecting the Shindo amps and pre to an old pair of B&W CDM 1NT monitors and when played at moderate volume a tonally rich and detailed sound was revealed. The Shindo mono blocs are parallel 300b 18wpc. On the Raidho website it mentions that the D2.1's can be driven by lower wattage tube amps. I am curious about doing a contrast and compare between Viola and Shindo. Has anyone paired SET amps with Raidho speakers? Is there any potential harm to the amps, pre or D2.1's doing so?

I've had the opportunity to drive Raidho loudspeakers with many different typologies of amplifiers. Through the course of that my opinion has remained unchanged. I prefer solid state amplification. It is true that you can drive the speakers with tube power amps and do so with excellent results but higher power units are preferable (>50 watts per channel). The risk with low power amplifiers revolves around the possibility of over-driving them into clipping with one possible resulting outcome being loudspeaker damage.

Thanks, Kiwi. As I listen mostly at a "moderate" volume level, 90db or less, would that still put speakers at risk? Any chance of chatting with you by by phone?

Best, Michael

Thanks, Kiwi. As I listen mostly at a "moderate" volume level, 90db or less, would that still put speakers at risk? Any chance of chatting with you by by phone?

Best, Michael

Hi Michael,

I don't recommend selecting a low power amplifier for your Raidho loudspeakers and below I explain why.

The most difficult test of an audio system is a full symphony orchestra. No other type of music can stress it to the same degree. So when evaluating the performance of an audio system, I always want to hear full symphony. Of course, I listen to other music as well, but if you must pick the most revealing and difficult music, a symphony orchestra recording is essential.

How much power is needed to play orchestral peaks cleanly and without clipping an amplifier?

The answer is a surprising amount.

While most of your listening may be a moderate levels, 90dB or less (which only requires a 20 wpc amplifier for loudspeakers of average sensitivity) – a sudden whack on a timpani or strike of a hammer on a grand piano can produce a transient that is 10dB or greater and that requires 10x more power to cleanly reproduce. Do remember that in actual performance a full orchestra and chorus in a concert hall can measure 106 dB!

It is important to select an amplifier that is sufficiently powerful to play your music cleanly. If you don’t your system will be compromised because your amplifier will have compressed dynamics, sound strained, constricted, dull & muddy and will lose detail and exhibit higher levels of distortion.

To sum up, I don’t think 18 watt Shindo mono blocs are the best partners for your Raidho loudspeakers. Unfortunately time zone differences make a phone call problematic. Raidho does however have lots of great partners / dealers in the USA and I’m confident they could locally answer any queries you may have.

Thank you, Kiwi! I am in contact with a Raidho dealer from whom I purchased the D2.1's (which I should have in a week to ten days). Still, I am interested in conversing with Raidho "users," especially those that have D2.1's. I haven't read all your posts, so please forgive me if this has been covered, but have you had problems with the mid-bass hump that has been spoken of by several Raidho owners?

Thank you, Kiwi! I am in contact with a Raidho dealer from whom I purchased the D2.1's (which I should have in a week to ten days). Still, I am interested in conversing with Raidho "users," especially those that have D2.1's. I haven't read all your posts, so please forgive me if this has been covered, but have you had problems with the mid-bass hump that has been spoken of by several Raidho owners?

If you have a read of the first couple of pages in this thread you will find a number of in-room frequency response, RT30/60, ETC, waterfall and spectrogram graphs / plots in which Raidho speakers feature. I think the loudspeaker / room interface is of enormous importance if the aim is high fidelity to audio recordings. The graphs clearly demonstrate a mid-bass hump which is influenced by the loudspeakers and the room “talking back”.

Turning to your question, no, I don’t have a mid-bass problem. I did do, but as you can read in post #18

http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...ll=1#post61659

that was objectively addressed by moving my listening chair.

Well, we have moved back to our tropical home in Singapore and I finally got around to unpacking and installing my audio system. The system is the simplest I’ve owned in years – a CDP, integrated amplifier and pair of loudspeakers. There is something strangely satisfying and liberating about reducing box count and clutter.

I will write some more soon.

Audioshark

Well, we have moved back to our tropical home in Singapore and I finally got around to unpacking and installing my audio system. The system is the simplest I’ve owned in years – a CDP, integrated amplifier and pair of loudspeakers. There is something strangely satisfying and liberating about reducing box count and clutter.

I will write some more soon.

Ralph, what rack is that?

Is that the K-01x?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Ralph,

Great news !!! Looking mean and lean When you have more time , please share more pics and details/upgrades... Hoping that you're now enjoying the Raidho D2.1

Thanks, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Ralph, what rack is that?

Is that the K-01x?

Greetings Mike,

The rack is from Steve Blinn Designs (USA). It is constructed from lightweight anodized aluminum framing with shelving of solid maple which offers excellent resonance-dissipating properties. The footers are Nordost Sort Füt. The CDP is unchanged, an Esoteric K-03.

Ralph,

Great news !!! Looking mean and lean When you have more time , please share more pics and details/upgrades... Hoping that you're now enjoying the Raidho D2.1
    Thanks, Tom

Hey Tom,

Yes, once I’ve unpacked a few more things we’ll happily share more pictures and details.

Ralph,
    What are your first impressions of your Raidho D2.1 vs the D2?
    Waiting to hear your feedback!
    Spyros

To Quantum or not to Quantum - that is the question?

One of the great opportunities that arise when moving or re-commissioning audio systems is the chance to retest previously held assumptions or prior experiences on the sonic benefit each system component offers. All too often audiophiles – myself included – simply continue to add to existing systems; more boxes, more cables etc. or upgrade a specific single component without really challenging whether the raison d'être of everything else is still valid.

This is precisely the position I found myself in recently when a move back to our tropical home in Singapore meant the unpacking and installation of my audio system. I deliberately opted to install the simplest base system possible; a CD player and integrated amplifier leashed up to a pair of Raidho loudspeakers. The CDP and amplifier were both connected to an Ansuz Mainz D8 distributor which in turn was connected to a wall socket and dedicated powerline to the room.

For many years I’ve had Nordost Quantum units employed in my stereo system and while I did not understand how these devices worked – they nonetheless made a wonderful contribution to the perceived soundstage. Given the more recent introduction of the Ansuz Mainz D8 distributor and Ansuz Sparkz TC conditioners I wondered whether I still needed the Nordost Quantum Qx2 and Qx4 devices and I decided to give them a chance to once again fight for their place in my equipment rack.

Photo: Bottom shelf of equipment rack with Ansuz distributor and Nordost Quantums QX2 & QX4

The evaluation would compare a straight forward setup of a power cord straight to the distributor vs. a more complex set up of a power cord to a Nordost Quantum QX2 daisy chained to a Nordost Quantum QX4 which in turn is connected to the Ansuz Mainz D8 and two test tracks would be used; Bat out of Hell from Meat Loaf’s 3 Bats Live Album and The Last of the Privateers from Allan Taylors Leaving at Dawn Album. The first track presents something of a nightmare for most audio systems; recorded live on March 14, 2007 in London, Ontario, Canada – its complex, messy, not well recorded [transcribed from a DVD] and about as far as one can get from a typical “audiophile recording” but reproduced well it is energetic, fun, theatric and overwhelmingly live – with a massive encompassing soundstage. The second track is typical from the Stockfisch label, the standard of engineering is exemplary, SACD at its very finest, the resolution and micro detail is startling as is the depth of soundstage for some of the percussive elements.

Before sharing my results I would be interested to hear from any reader who has tried the Quantum's in their system. Please post below and let us know your observations!

Ralph,

If you are inclined and have the time, please share any updates to your system.... Thanks, in advance. Happy New Year !!!

All the best, Tom

Ralph,

If you are inclined and have the time, please share any updates to your system.... Thanks, in advance. Happy New Year !!!

All the best, Tom

Tom, Thanks for the note and so sorry for the delay in reply. I have not updated my system thread in a while and I hope to do so once we get through the Chinese New Year holidays.

All the best
    Ralph

Ralph, Thanks... Anytime you can share, is fine.

Al the best,
    Tom

kiwi_1282001

First of all....congrats for your sistem.
    I wonder if you can guide me to find the producer of the micro block diffuzer.
    I also sent you a private message about that.
    Any info will be apreciated.
    Thank you.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum felixx, thank you so much for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

No...I should say thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    kiwi_1282001

First of all....congrats for your sistem.
    I wonder if you can guide me to find the producer of the micro block diffuzer.
    I also sent you a private message about that.
    Any info will be apreciated.
    Thank you.

Hi Felixx,

Regarding the micro-block diffusors all I know is that the blocks were contract manufactured in Asia. As mine were purchased second hand, I have no relationship with or contact details for the manufacturer - sorry.

If you are looking for diffusor products I can highly recommend S-Wing's from Svanå Miljö Teknik AB (SMT) of Sweden, particularly for use at early reflection points. https://www.facebook.com/diffusor

Thank you.

New Borresen Audio Loudspeakers Coming Soon?

Photo Above: Børresen Audio Model 01 loudspeakers from Denmark [Source: Borresen Audio]

I am hoping to get a pair of Børresen Audio loudspeakers soon. I am presently awaiting the delivery schedule from Lars.

To say I’m excited about the Børresen Audio loudspeaker range would be an understatement. It will most likely be the Borresen Audio 01 Model as my listening space is quite small. Visually I find the design very attractive. These loudspeakers will replace the Raidho D-series which I previously owned and provided many years of listening satisfaction.

Michael Børresen has clearly been working hard. Incorporating Michael’s latest thoughts on air flow and driver design the clear ambition here is to advance his earlier efforts at Raidho and surpass other leading loudspeaker manufacturers such as Magico.

Of particular personal interest is the new vented tweeter design. Physically larger than the design for Raidho the ultralight tweeter is expected to improve resolution proffering a dramatic increase in low level detail and producing music that is full of immediacy, presence, communication and sophistication. The Raidho tweeter was already outstanding and I have not heard any box speaker that resolves and reproduces more detail than the Raidho’s do so the prospect of a further improved planar magnetic tweeter is positively titillating.

Then there’s a new carbon honeycomb woofer. What will that bring to the party? Greater power handling, improved bass definition, even quieter blacker backgrounds courtesy of lower levels of distortion? We will have to wait to see, but I think it’s a given that Borresen Audio has a clear reference in mind and won’t release products that don’t exceed this.

Incoming & Happy New Year to all!

The Arrival of My Børresen Acoustics Model 01-D-TC loudspeakers

There was a small sense of Déjà vu as I unpacked the newly arrived Børresen 01 loudspeakers today.

Memories came flooding back of a time – about ten years ago – when I was unpacking my then newly arrived Raidho C-1.0 loudspeakers.

One box contained the pair of loudspeakers and two boxes the equipment stands.

Dimension and weight wise the Borresen’s and the Raidho’s are quite similar as are the boxes and packing materials.

Photo 1: Box containing pair of Børresen loudspeakers model 01, including D-TC Darkz resonance control devices.

There are three models of Børresen 01 speakers with the only difference being the resonance control footers packed with them; Darkz C, Darkz D2 or Darkz D-TC. The price difference of US$2500 between the C & D-TC models simply comes down to the difference in quality level and corresponding retail price of the Darkz devices.

The serial number of my unit 100006 means model 01 and the 6th pair of speakers manufactured by production. The first ever pair SN 100001 was sold to Borresen’s US Distributor; Gated HiFi Distribution of Wayne, IL.

I have the privilege of being one of Borresen’s first Asian customers.

Photo 2 & 3: The six (three per speaker) D-TC footers are inserted in the top packing material

Each loudspeaker stand is packed in its own carton double carton. The stands are relatively light weighing around 7KG each. The stands unlike their Raidho ancestors come pre-assembled.

Photo 4: The box and packing material for the Borresen Acoustics Monitor loudspeaker stand.

The stand design itself shows continuance of the designer’s beliefs around energy release and resonance control. The original Raidho stand flexed which alarmed some onlookers. The Borresen stand has less flex than the original Raidho one but the speakers are still allowed some movement courtesy of the Ansuz Darkz resonance control devices which are mechanically tuned to allow vibrations a path out of the loudspeakers whilst aiding their isolation. The D-TC’s which are mechanically tuned solid pieces of composite metal containing bronze and Tantalum, covered with layers of Tantalum and Diamond for dampening of resonances are made up discs which are separated by 3 ceramic balls which allow some movement.

Photo 5: A close of the Børresen loudspeaker stand for the Børresen 01. Packing material is still seen on the base.

In photo 5 the top plate of the loudspeaker stand can be seen together with the inserts for the three Darkz resonance control devices.

Photo 6: The D-TC resonance control devices sit nicely in a felt base insert on the top plate of the loudspeaker stands.

Photo 7 below shows the underside of the stand where the height adjustable aluminum footers can be seen [one of them completely unscrewed]. This height adjustment feature is a big improvement over my original Raidho speakers. In Asia I’ve yet to experience a perfectly even floor and so stand footer height adjustment is a must. Another benefit of the stand footers is that they are provisioned to accept a set of Darkz resonance control devices should you wish to further isolate the loudspeakers from floor vibrations.

Borresen eschew the use of spikes. To Borresen, other manufacturer’s use of spikes on speakers and equipment stands makes no sense as the spikes will act like a cartridge picking up vibrations from the floor.

Photo 7: The underside of the stand showing the height adjustable footers.

Out of the box the Borresen speakers feel heavier than their specified 18KG. The overall aesthetic is pleasing to the eye, simple, uncluttered and minimalist. The Scandinavian love of light and muted colours is evidenced in the standard choice of a walnut veneer finish – which would blend well in most domestic settings and in particular interiors that are painted white or neutral in colour. There isn’t a lot of ornate or excessive detailing found in Scandinavian design. Modern, clean lined, solid pieces are much more common, and are a defining feature of the Scandinavian design style.

Photo 8: The Borresen 01 loudspeakers being revealed. The influence of Scandinavian design is clearly evident

The focus on craftsmanship, materials and clean lines continues with the front gun metal gray coloured faceplate. Gone are the screws that adorned the front faceplate of my earlier Raidho speakers. The revised design of the loudspeaker membrane made it possible to make a visually appealing (sans screws) faceplate.

While the Walnut veneer is the standard finish the speakers are optionally available in a high gloss finish and in the colour of your choice, though this comes at additional cost.

Hand over heart I would have say that the high gloss piano black finish which came as standard on my Raidho bookshelf speakers looked more up market and luxurious. Some may find the standard matt finish of the walnut veneer to be a bit austere. While I understand and laud the contemporary aesthetic choice, there is an undeniable frugality about the material that rebuffs elegance and the premium price tag.

The underside of the Borresen 01 speakers has matching indents to the speaker stand top plate. Again, these are designed to accept your choice of Ansuz resonance control device.

Photo 9: The underside of the Borresen Acoustics 01 loudspeakers showing indents for Ansuz resonance control devices

While visuals might indicate otherwise the Borresen speakers sit surprisingly securely on top the stand. In a clever design, the interconnecting Ansuz resonance control device not only serves as a mechanical grounding device but as an anchor for the speakers to the stand. This arrangement is much more secure (and child safe) than that employed by my earlier Raidho bookshelf speakers.

Photo 10: The loudspeakers and stands passed the partner acceptance test – phew!

Photo 10 shows the completely assembled speakers. The speakers and stand work effortlessly together to create a modern, minimalist look of fluid, flowing form. The slender curved columns are unobtrusive – a real bonus for those that need to sell the idea, purchase and location to partners!

The unpacking out of the way, in my next system update I will discuss my initial partnering electronics and accessories.

Very nice unboxing write-up. I thoroughly enjoy it.

Hi Ralph, thanks for the detailed description of the new B 01.

I look forward to your listening impressions.
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Very nice unboxing write-up. I thoroughly enjoy it.
    Thanks Kzhtoo. More to follow.

Hi Ralph, thanks for the detailed description of the new B 01.

I look forward to your listening impressions.

Nice to hear from you Le Roy.

Hope you are well and enjoying your flagship Raidho speakers.

Listening impressions on the new B 01's are a little way as i'm setting up a new foundation [you can read about that below] which also requires breaking in.

A New Foundation

For many years Hi-Fi has been all about boxes; How big? How many? How much? The product based approach to Hi-Fi has been promoted by magazines and online reviews heralding the arrival of the next five star rated pair of $200k speakers, $50k pre-amplifier or pair of $100k mono-bloc power amplifiers.

With the focus on all the sexy stuff its easily to forget about the support cast – the accessories which will determine whether you hear the full potential of your beloved five star rated boxes.

With the arrival of my new Børresen 01 loudspeakers I instinctively know I needed to pay more attention to the audio system foundation in order to realize the performance benefits of the investment.

Accessories such as cables, cable supports, resonance control devices and AC distribution might not seem sexy but in my experience they deliver very tangible and audible musical results because they enable you to hear what your electronics boxes are really capable of.

So along with the boxes containing my new Børresen loudspeakers was another box. The contents of this box were equally – if not more – important. This box was full with Ansuz accessories.

Photo 1: Goodies from Ansuz. D-TC Darkz footers, D-TC cable lifters, Ansuz Darkz “Feets” & Ansuz Ceramic balls

Photo 2: Latest 2-Series Cables from Ansuz Acoustics together with a latest 2-Series Ansuz Distributor

My existing foundation had been respectable. It contained a mixture of Ansuz P, C & D cables; Ansuz Sparkz, Ansuz Mainz8 D-version distributor and some accessories from Nordost including Sort Kones, Sort Fut footers, Quantum’s [QX2 and Qx4] and a selection of mid/reference level cables including Heimdall and Valhalla.

I remember years back writing something quite controversial in the Ansuz cables and accessories thread in this forum.

I suggested to all readers then that the sweet spot in the Ansuz range was the C-series. This observation was arrived at after extensive testing of P, C & D level cables together with reference cables from Nordost including Valhalla and Odin.

Yes, Ansuz D was better than Ansuz C with more spatial information and a weightier bass – but the difference in my opinion was not worth nearly three times the retail price.

Well now we have 2-Series C cables (C2) and would you believe they outclass the former Ansuz D cables in every determinant, save one? Given C2 effectively sits between Ansuz D (v1) and D-TC in terms of overall performance I find myself reaffirming their position as the sweet spot in the Ansuz product range.

Setting up the new foundation

The heart of my new foundation is the Ansuz Mainz8 D2 distributor. Yes, I would have liked the Ansuz D-TC distributor but at US$23k retail and considering my other spending that simply wasn’t on the cards.

To set up the D2 or any 2-series distributor optimally you need some accessories including Ansuz Sparkz TC, Ansuz Darkz D-TC resonance control footers and Ansuz Ceramic balls.

Photo 3: The Ansuz Mainz8 D2 distributor together with accessories to set it up

The first step is to plug an Ansuz Sparkz Harmonizer, ideally the TC (Telsa coil) version into the mains outlet closest to the incoming mains connector. Do this and in my experience you will be rewarded with a noticeable improvement in the front to back soundstage adding dimensionality and spatial acuity to instruments within their specific locality in the soundstage.

While the Sparkz TC could be plugged into any outlet on the same circuit as the audio system I personally prefer the above-mentioned location. Alternatively, if you have a twin wall socket with one socket being used for the first power cord (from wall socket to the distributor) – then the empty socket next to it is also an excellent location for the Ansuz Sparkz Harmonizer TC.

You may read some reports elsewhere that suggest you can’t have too many Ansuz Sparkz power harmonizers in your system. I will simply say that has not been my experience and leave it at that.

Photo 4: Adding an Ansuz Sparkz TC to outlet position #1 of 2-Series Distributors rewards the soundstage – try it!

Next, it is very important is isolate the distributor from vibrations – both airborne and feedback from the floor. Isolation and providing an exit path for mechanical vibrations largely associated the 50/60Hz mains AC resonances can be achieved using Ansuz Darkz footers being placed under the Mainz8 distributor. Simply place three Ansuz ceramic balls in the indent of each of the four Darkz footers and then place Mainz 8 on top.

However, based on my observation there are two other important considerations.

First, the distributor needs to be placed in the equipment rack and while it might seem logical to place it on the lowest shelf of the rack I’ve found better results can be achieved by placing it higher up – say on the 2nd shelf. Now, I can’t tell you why this works better but my working theory is that there is less airborne and room floor related vibrations here. Avoid at all costs equipment racks which use spikes as base footers. The only spike in your audio system should be the turntable stylus.

Second, Ansuz Darkz function best when placed on a low resonance, smooth and lossy shelf surface. Simple Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) or Plywood shelfs are both low cost and great as long as they can hold the weight of the equipment without sagging. Glass, granite and marble are all terrible materials (they ‘ring’) and I tend to avoid acrylic too. To optimally operate Darkz need to dump vibrations into a lossy surface.

Photo 5: Seen here are Ansuz Darkz footers with ceramic balls. Darkz are tuned to allow the vibrations a path out of the component and to keep various components individually isolated.

Photo 6: The distributor is the “heart” of the audio system. Set it up with care and reap dividends. The Distributor should always be rack mounted. Try out different positions in the rack.

What power cord?

It’s widely held opinion that the most important single cable in the system is the one coming out of the wall. If you only own one audiophile power cord – this is the place to use it. Ideally, once you have an audiophile cord between the wall and your distribution block, make sure that any further cords use similar technologies and materials even if their quality level is lower. What you are after here is consistency.

For my new system I have settled on Ansuz 2-Series C-level cables for reasons mentioned above. Considering the new C-level cables outclass the version 1 D-series [some believe even A2 cables perform better in some determinants than D. (v1) cables – but I’ve not evaluated A2 cables] they clearly represent – to me at least – the best value for money.

I’ve selected a 4 meter cord for the run between the wall and the distribution block

Photo 7: The Ansuz C2 power cable. The 2-Series C-level cables make a strong case for being the new sweet spot for the Ansuz cable product range.

Finally for the AC foundation is a small tweak which you should try if you like to experiment. Photo 8 below shows a final touch which can go unnoticed but depending on individual circumstances can have an audible impact. Did you notice the small Ansuz D-TC cable lifter? You may have seen cable lifters being used on the SPEAKZ loudspeaker cables but they can be used for power cables too. In this photo the cable lifter is positioned where the cable hits the floor.

Photo 8: Spot the cable lifter!

So there we have it, the basic AC portion of the foundation for my new audio system.

What do you think? Do you agree / disagree with my findings / observations? Let me know below.

In my next update I will discuss what electronics I am initially using and why.

As usual Ralph another excellent write up and pictures. I agree 100% with everything you stated. My foundation is very similar to yours. As I built my foundation over the years the level of what I call a more natural lifelike sound just kept improving.
    George

Great gear you have bought, only thing I don't understand is the extra Sparkz TC, the Mainz D2 is already packed with many TC's.
    Moon 700i V2, YG Acoustics Hailey, Aurender N10, dCS Rossini, Oppo BDP103D (audiopraise board), Ansuz Mainz 8 D2

Quote Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
    Great gear you have bought, only thing I don't understand is the extra Sparkz TC, the Mainz D2 is already packed with many TC's.
    I don’t understand why the addition of another TC should have an impact either.

Perhaps being external and located close the mains inlet has an influence over and above the internal TC’s? Perhaps the results are system dependent too? What I observe for my system may not carry for others.

If you give it a try with your system do let us know what results you observe.

HI Ralph,

Congratulations on the new Ansuz cable & accessories acquisition. Looks like a great foundation for the rest of your system.

As a fellow Ansuz power cable D & C line and Mainz D8 user, contemplating upgrade to the series 2 products, I am eager to to hear your impressions on Mainz D2 vs the old Mainz D8, the Ansuz C2 power cable vs the Ansuz D, and finally the C2 speaker cables vs the C line that I recall you have been using. Thanks & enjoy.

Tim
    Tim

Playback Designs mps-5, Nagra Classic Pre, Nagra Classic Amp, YG Carmel 2s, Signal: TaraLabs Muse, Power: Ansuz D & C, Mainz-8D, SRA Craz3 Rack.

I don’t understand why the addition of another TC should have an impact either.

Perhaps being external and located close the mains inlet has an influence over and above the internal TC’s? Perhaps the results are system dependent too? What I observe for my system may not carry for others.

If you give it a try with your system do let us know what results you observe.

If the one extra TC works in your system, it's great, I was just interested, I don't know the exact amount of Tesla Coils in the Mainz8 D2, but it won't be less then the 16 TC's that are in the DTC-power box.
    Moon 700i V2, YG Acoustics Hailey, Aurender N10, dCS Rossini, Oppo BDP103D (audiopraise board), Ansuz Mainz 8 D2

Hi Tim
    I went from the original C speaker cable to the C2. When I first installed the C2 I didn't hear too much of a difference. It was very minor kind of like what I heard when I went to the original Ansuz cable demos and swapping out the C to a D. That said I never the D speaker cables in my home. It was about 3 -4 weeks of having the C2's in my system I really heard them open up. Somewhat warmer sounding but with a lot more 'soul' and 'emotion' in the vocals and instruments.

Let me go back in time a bit. Lars happened to come to my home with my local dealer and Lars had a suitcase full of prototype cables. They were the A2 and C2 power cords and one pair of C2 speaker cables. He stared by replacing my C power cord from the Mainz D8 to U300 with an A2. Note I did already have a D-TC power cord from the wall to the Mainz D8. Wow the difference was huge. Everything sounded so much more natural. I wanted one. But then took out the A2 and replaced it with the C2. Another huge change unlike going from the original C to a D. Then he put in the C2 speaker cable. A nice change but not huge like the power cords. Lars said Mike was still working on the D2 versions at the time.

When the cables went into production I ordered a C2 power cable right away. When they came in and I had it in for a couple of weeks I borrowed a D2 power cord. Wow another big jump but I returned right away. I gave it back because I was seriously considering upgrading my D2.1's to 3.1's. Both was not going to happen. In time I did decide to order the C2 speaker cables more because I really didn't care for the connectors on original C and liked the new connector better. I know it's a dumb reason but did it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4music View Post
    HI Ralph,

Congratulations on the new Ansuz cable & accessories acquisition. Looks like a great foundation for the rest of your system.

As a fellow Ansuz power cable D & C line and Mainz D8 user, contemplating upgrade to the series 2 products, I am eager to to hear your impressions on Mainz D2 vs the old Mainz D8, the Ansuz C2 power cable vs the Ansuz D, and finally the C2 speaker cables vs the C line that I recall you have been using. Thanks & enjoy.

Tim
    George

Quote Originally Posted by 4music View Post
    HI Ralph,

Tim
    Hello Tim,

Thanks and yes, I am excited about the potential my new foundation has to unlock the capabilities of the electronics and speakers.

I own a stable of distributors including the Nordost QBase, the Ansuz Mainz8 D-version and the latest Mainz8 D2.

Since the distributor is so important I am fully intending to write a post comparing them. I’ve read elsewhere that plugging the Mainz D8 into the 2-series distributors or D-TC distributor can lift the performance further. I’m intrigued by that and would like to test that for myself. That evaluation will take place once the new distributor has more hours on it.

Regarding the 2-series cables, they appear at first glance to be a significant advance over the earlier generation. Ansuz claim that an A2 power cord can challenge and surpass the old D-level power cord in some determinants and the C2 completely surpasses the D level. My cable evaluation was not at home and the earlier generation of cables are no longer with me so I’m not in a position to offer further comment.

Where are you located Tim? Is there a nearby Ansuz dealer? Would the dealer be prepared to loan you some 2-series cables in order that you can try them in your system? I’ve been fortunate that an Ansuz dealer has allowed me home trial of product prior to purchase.

You should never buy product blindly on the recommendation of others opinion – including mine.

Hi Ralph,

I am a new member here.....I registered because I am amazed and utmost respect to the things that you are sharing with all of us especially me......the level of depth and detail in your thread is a lifetime of tinkering experiences. Once again....amazed and respect......

Boa

Hello Tim,

Thanks and yes, I am excited about the potential my new foundation has to unlock the capabilities of the electronics and speakers.

I own a stable of distributors including the Nordost QBase, the Ansuz Mainz8 D-version and the latest Mainz8 D2.

Since the distributor is so important I am fully intending to write a post comparing them. I’ve read elsewhere that plugging the Mainz D8 into the 2-series distributors or D-TC distributor can lift the performance further. I’m intrigued by that and would like to test that for myself. That evaluation will take place once the new distributor has more hours on it.

Regarding the 2-series cables, they appear at first glance to be a significant advance over the earlier generation. Ansuz claim that an A2 power cord can challenge and surpass the old D-level power cord in some determinants and the C2 completely surpasses the D level. My cable evaluation was not at home and the earlier generation of cables are no longer with me so I’m not in a position to offer further comment.

Where are you located Tim? Is there a nearby Ansuz dealer? Would the dealer be prepared to loan you some 2-series cables in order that you can try them in your system? I’ve been fortunate that an Ansuz dealer has allowed me home trial of product prior to purchase.

You should never buy product blindly on the recommendation of others opinion – including mine.
    Ralph thank you for your reply. I am located in Athens, Greece and currently I am using 3 Ansuz (series 1) D level and 2 C level power cables along with their Mainz D8 distributor. I had a Odin ver. 1 power cable but I though that in my system the Ansuz D was better. I definitely like the sound enough to be considering an upgrade within the series. As my electronics took a more resolving course (Nagra Pre & Nagra Classic and YG Carmel 2 speakers) I noticed a faint "metallic" signature in the Series 1 distributor or the power cables or both. I am currently using an Acoustic Revive Eu-4 Distributor, which tamed most of the "metallic" sheen on the high frequencies, but lost some of the dimensionality of the Mainz. I've read that the series 2 cables & power distributors from Ansuz have changed slightly their sonic signature towards a more full sound. I don't know if that is a characteristic of the new cables, the new distributors or both. The reasons I am looking for further opinions is that our quest for the absolute sound is usually within the context of our system, so opinions of fellow audiophiles with different systems, matters to me since the next solution needs to be more "universal" and justify the upgrade within a multitude of systems.

I am currently considering the upgrade of the Mainz 8D to a D2 (or a DTC) and the purchase of a D2 series power cable to power the distributor. The 3 Ansuz series D (ver 1) cables will remain powering the components from the distributor.

Would be interested to find out the difference between the D2 and C2 for powering the distributor, since another solution is to go for a C2 power cord (perhaps longer length as it is reported to be even better) and a better distributor. Lots of different options, but unfortunately can't try all....
    Tim

Playback Designs mps-5, Nagra Classic Pre, Nagra Classic Amp, YG Carmel 2s, Signal: TaraLabs Muse, Power: Ansuz D & C, Mainz-8D, SRA Craz3 Rack.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Music from a farther room