Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Re: My 20 best SOUNDING album's, (all formats)

Those one microphone recordings are the closest to mono you can get while still sounding very wide.
    What I mean is, it is one point stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    Those one microphone recordings are the closest to mono you can get while still sounding very wide.
    What I mean is, it is one point stereo.
    I understand what you mean but https://www.soundliaison.com/ One mic recordings or One point stereo sounds wider and larger than any other stereo recordings I know and more clear and phase coherent than any mono recordings i know off( if that is possible.)

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    I understand what you mean but https://www.soundliaison.com/ One mic recordings or One point stereo sounds wider and larger than any other stereo recordings I know and more clear and phase coherent than any mono recordings i know off( if that is possible.)
    Ditto. These are just awesome recordings. Wider, larger, better. I had a buddy over that said “one mic - has to be mono” - then he heard them. Just wowza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Amplification: DartZeel 468 (2) // DartZeel NHB18NS Mk. II
    Tuner: MagnumDynalab 108T/SE
    Table/Cart: J.Sikora Reference // Integrity HiFi Tru-Glider - DSAudio GrandMaster EX // Integrity HiFI Tru-Glider - Ortofon A Mono
    Equalizer/Phono Pre: DSAudio Master3
    Speakers: TAD R-1 MkII, REL Six Pack of REL Carbon Specials
    Power: Nordost QBase8 Mk3, QX4, Qkore1, 3 and 6 (chassis), QK1 (2), QV2 (2), Chord GroundAray (signal), Chord Line Aray (3), Chord Professional, AddPOWR EAU2 (2)
    DAC/Serv-stream: LampiZator Horizon/ Taiko Extreme
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond SE Speaker Cables
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond PCs (7), Evolution Acoustics 50 ohm (Zeel Connection), Nordost Odin2 IC (2), Nordost Valhalla II USB, CH Acoustic X20 IC, Final Touch Audio Elara PCs (6)
    AudioDesk Systeme RCM
    CMS Ultra 2.0 Footers TT (2) and TD (2), Revopods (2) and SortKones and EVPs where they work
    Critical Mass Systems Ultra-Q Rack > Silence Focus Amp Stands

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    Ditto. These are just awesome recordings. Wider, larger, better. I had a buddy over that said “one mic - has to be mono” - then he heard them. Just wowza.

I get the same kind of reaction. Have to show my friends the Sound Liaison you tube videos or they won't believe it is one microphone.

Their latest release is "old fashioned" multi microphone.....but it also sounds pretty good. It has been mastered straight to 1/4 inch tape.
    https://www.soundliaison.com/

all their albums are on special offer at the moment; https://www.soundliaison.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Only one on sale now is the brand new ONEMIC+ DXD recording UP JUMPED THE DEVIL with Carmen Gomes Inc. Sound Liaison Music Shop

But what an album, it's maybe the best Sound Liaison recording to date!

Here is a little note from Frans de Rond on why this is called a “One Mic +” recording, which is a quite contradictory term.

“There are several reasons at play why this is a One Mic plus recording.
    Maybe the most important is that I realized that when we had Carmen so close to the one mic she was creating an acoustic baffle that covered up certain frequencies.
    The same was true for Peter Bjørnild's double bass.
    For this recording the role of drummer Bert Kampsteeg was very important. We wanted him to be able to play as freely and dynamic as possible. By moving Carmen and bassist Peter Bjørnild further away and supporting them with two Josephson C700A microphones, the drum sound got much more present.
    You could argue that this is a return to old fashioned multi mic recording but I don't think that is true, drums and guitar and a big part of the double bass sound is still coming from the Josephson C700S. The microphone is absolutely central to the sound stage we have created.
    The two C700A support microphones are identical to the C700S except that each has only one figure of 8 capsule.
    But the beauty of these mic's are that spill coloration is much less of a problem. So they are perfect as spot mic's.
    We wanted the small 'soundscape' compositions to have a very dark atmosphere (Peter said he wanted them sounding as dark as the Mississippi night), so I decided to add a spaced pair of Josephson C617 microphones up very high in the studio and let them be our main source of ambience. I think that worked very well. And also the deep drop tuned low 'A' of 27.5 Hz from the double bass got picked up very well by that pair. Such a low note is almost impossible to hear close up, somehow you only hear the upper harmonics generated, so that was an extra benefit of the ambient pair. And it made me fall even more in love with the sound of studio 2.
    Another funny thing....I keep learning things about the C700S. I have to keep forcing myself to keep experimenting with distance, closer or further away from the mic, it is absolutely crucial to get the best possible sound. I don't think I have ever captured Folker Tettero's guitar better than on this album and it was a question of moving the right leg of the table with the amp on, 2 cm. (0,787 inch) backwards and there the sound was! Unbelievable.” Frans de Rond.

Native DSD has a bundle sale of the ONE MIC recordings at the moment One Microphone Recordings Bundle - NativeDSD Music

Native DSD has a bundle sale of the ONE MIC recordings at the moment One Microphone Recordings Bundle - NativeDSD Music
    Seems that all of these are sound liaison recordings, to which i can give the highest marks, without any hesitation. If interested, these are just awesome ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Amplification: DartZeel 468 (2) // DartZeel NHB18NS Mk. II
    Tuner: MagnumDynalab 108T/SE
    Table/Cart: J.Sikora Reference // Integrity HiFi Tru-Glider - DSAudio GrandMaster EX // Integrity HiFI Tru-Glider - Ortofon A Mono
    Equalizer/Phono Pre: DSAudio Master3
    Speakers: TAD R-1 MkII, REL Six Pack of REL Carbon Specials
    Power: Nordost QBase8 Mk3, QX4, Qkore1, 3 and 6 (chassis), QK1 (2), QV2 (2), Chord GroundAray (signal), Chord Line Aray (3), Chord Professional, AddPOWR EAU2 (2)
    DAC/Serv-stream: LampiZator Horizon/ Taiko Extreme
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond SE Speaker Cables
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond PCs (7), Evolution Acoustics 50 ohm (Zeel Connection), Nordost Odin2 IC (2), Nordost Valhalla II USB, CH Acoustic X20 IC, Final Touch Audio Elara PCs (6)
    AudioDesk Systeme RCM
    CMS Ultra 2.0 Footers TT (2) and TD (2), Revopods (2) and SortKones and EVPs where they work
    Critical Mass Systems Ultra-Q Rack > Silence Focus Amp Stands

Check the latest;

I love how it looks at the equipment list;
    Microphones:
    Main system - Josephson C700S

Micpre's: Merging Horus
    Cables by AudioQuest
    That simple!
    And as always the liner notes are very well written and informative;Amulet - Michael Moore & Paul Berner 20% OFF!

New review of the above mentioned album in HIFI-CRITIC;
    “This is about as simple a recording as you’re ever going to hear: two musicians, one microphone and each track performed live, straight to DXD recording – and it’s totally enchanting. “ HIFI-Critic
    MICHAEL MOORE & PAUL BERNER Amulet
    Sound Liaison SL1048A
    DSD64/128/256/512/384kHz WAV

This is about as simple a recording as you’re ever going to hear: two musicians, one microphone and each track performed live, straight to DXD recording – and it’s totally enchanting. Covering a range of well known tunes, and some compositions of their own, clarinettist Moore and bassist Berner were recorded at Hilversum by Frans de Rond using a single Josephson C7005 stereo microphone,
    So the ambience and soundstaging you hear were a matter of configuring the studio and the position of the performers to create the desired sound. Then the two were invited to the control room to hear the sound, and ‘”This is us, this is how we sound, this is so real” was Michael’s reaction upon listening. Paul just smiled at Frans and said: “Let’s play!”’
    All that spontaneity comes over in spades in this set, which has the usual Sound Liaison recording quality, plus that unmistakable sense of two musicians just bouncing off each other, improvising and making the shape of the songs up as they went along. This is as live as it gets, with a real ‘in the room with the musicians’ impression.

HIFICRITIC HIFICRITIC APR | MAY | JUN 2021 APR | MAY | JUN 2021
    The Sound Liaison albums are also available on Music | Audiophile 24bit Hi-Res Studio Masters by Sound Liaison in 24/96 Flac but for the DXD and DSD version you have to go to Sound Liaison Music Shop

Seven years later I’m going to plan to listen for the initial 22 albums, always on the lookout for music that is recorded beautifully.

And you know why especially old LPs sound so good?

No but I wouldn't mind reading your perspective. I am always doubting what I like the best.

Well since this forum is about sound, I thought it a good idea to list some of my best sounding music in audiophile terms.
    Unfortunately that means no Robert Johnson, Charlie Parker, Pablo Casals, Art Tatum, Heifetz...... since the recording quality of these albums is not outstanding but luckily I own a number of equally good but well recorded music in various formats.

1. Andre Heuvelman; After Silence.
    2. Carmen Gomes; Thousand Shades of Blue.
    3. Paul Berner Band; Road to Memphis.

After some consideration I decided to be bold and put three of my Sound Liaison Studio Master Downloads at the top of my list.
    These 24/96 hi-res WAV files has a depth and natural decay combined with a warm wide sound stage which none of my other recordings can touch. Not bad for a small independent label.
    Andre Heuvelman's After Silence is a stunning prove that he most be one of the worlds foremost trumpet players. I only have this download for a few days now but it is so convincingly recorded and produced that I had to put it on top.
    Carmen Gomes knows how to move you without having to use any of the cheap effect's so many singers are constantly using putting them self's above the music, not here, this is straight from the heart.She turns Chris Isaac's ''Wicked Game'' into a hauntingly beautiful song of desperate love. True mastery.
    Monty Alexander trio alumni, Paul Berner has made an achingly beautiful ''americana'' jazz album, with reed player Michael Moore in top form. The album with two guitars makes Bill Frisell come to mind.
    The interplay between the guitars is incredible.

Sound Liaison; Music Store

4. Dough McLeod; There's a Time
    5. Minnesota Orchestra; Symphonic Dances
    6. Albert Fuller; Bach & Rameau

Equally good are the Keith Johnson recordings from Reference Recordings. These were my top audiophile musics until Sound Liaison came along.
    The Doug McLeod recording has a similar sound as the Carmen Gomes ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' album, deep, warm and very natural. If it wasn't for the fact that Doug's voice is moving a little bit from left to right in the stereo image, that album would have been at No 1 or 2 together with Carmen Gomes.
    The Minnesota Orchestra's recording of the Symphonic Dances is simply the best recording of a symphony orchestra that I own.
    Albert Fullers lovely interpretations of Bach and Rameau's Harpsichord music. If you think you don't like the sound of a harpsichord, check this one out you'll be surprised.Reference Recordings Complete Audiophile Classical Music Orchestra and Jazz HDCD Catalog

7. Keith Jarrett; at the Blue Note.
    8. Bobo Stenson trio; Serenity.
    9; Peter Erskine trio; As it is.
    For piano trio recordings these 3 ECM albums are sublime.I know that a lot of people adore the the old Rudy van Gelder recordings but the sound of the piano he never got right. ECM does.
    ECM Records - Home

10. Joni Mitchell; Travelogue.
    Joni looking back and rerecording her best songs, with gorgeous Vince Mendoza arrangements.
    Her voice is deeper, more ''lived'' and her phrazing reveals her love of Billie Holiday. The recording is sublime with a BIG sound stage.

Now I will go back in time, analogue time, and the music from these L.P.'s will probably be known to most of you in one format or the other.

11.Miles Davis; Kind of Blue. this album needs no introduction. It has stood the test of time. The new remasters sounds even better. Manfred Eicher of ECM says that the sound of that album is what he is TRYING to achieve.

12. Sonny Rollins;The Bridge. Sonny and Jim Hall brings Coltrane and Miles to mind in contrast but maybe with an even bigger empathy.''God Bless the Child'' breathtakingly well played and sounding.Very clear placement of the instruments.That is actually what Sound Liaison and Reference Recordings has reintroduced a good, and well defined sound stage. A sound stage where it feels as if you can point a finger at each instrument and say; there it is! see the bass at 10 o'clock!

13.Frank Sinatra; Only the Lonely.This must be the recording that inspired the engineers of the Travelogue recording and is in my opinion the best Frank Sinatra album.
    14.George Shearing with Nancy Wilson;the Swinging is mutual!
    Listen to track 2 side one '' All Night Long'' That track almost,but just almost, makes me believe that old thick LP's sounds better than modern Hi-Resolution Studio Master Wav files.
    15.Monica Zetterlund with Bill Evans;Waltz for Debby.This sweet Sounding recording shows what a fantastic accompanist Bill Evans was. The Swedish engineers knew what they were doing too, a clearly defined sound stage.

16. Milt Jackson and Wes Montgomery; Bags Meet's Wes.
    Pat Metheny's favorite Wes album.Again placement and every instrument recorded to it's full potential. The tape machine was not running completely steady so the sound is trembling ever so slightly.
    17.John Coltrane; Crescent. So I guess that to keep the peace I better put in one Rudy van Gelder engineered album.Rudy did know how to record a saxophone and the drums sounds good too. Rudy's true strength though was balance.

18.Bobby Timmons trio;In Person. I love Ron Carter, the bass player,and he is magnificently prominent here, talkin' 'bout DEEP BASS.

19 Arthur Grumiaux, Bach Sonatas & Partitas. Somehow this recording tell's it like it is; this is the sound of the violin, this is how the Partita's sound. Just like with Carmen Gomes, MUSIC first!
    20. Holy Cole;Temptation. This is an old favorite of mine, sound of the bass has not stood the test of time, but the production is incredible.

21. Me'shell Ndegocéllo; Peace beyond Passion, again great production and.... placement.Unusual for a funk album from this period.
    22. Dave Brubeck; Time out. almost forgot this one, that would have been unforgivable. Time Out is an audiophile classic.

oops... I see that I went past the limit of 20 and I did not even get to Mingus; Ah Um... Steely Dan... Ray Charles..........

You, sir, have outstanding taste in music.
    Amplifier: Pass Labs INT 250 integrated.

DAC/Streamer: MSB Discrete Dual Power Supply.

Server: Roon Nucleus with lifetime subscription.

Speakers: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary
    Model.

Headphones/Amp: Focal Stellia phones, NAIM Uniti Atom Headphone Edition headphone amp/music player/server/streamer.

Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables,
    Mackenzie interconnects.

Speaker Stands: HiFi Man.

Well since this forum is about sound, I thought it a good idea to list some of my best sounding music in audiophile terms.
    Unfortunately that means no Robert Johnson, Charlie Parker, Pablo Casals, Art Tatum, Heifetz...... since the recording quality of these albums is not outstanding but luckily I own a number of equally good but well recorded music in various formats.

1. Andre Heuvelman; After Silence.
    2. Carmen Gomes; Thousand Shades of Blue.
    3. Paul Berner Band; Road to Memphis.

After some consideration I decided to be bold and put three of my Sound Liaison Studio Master Downloads at the top of my list.
    These 24/96 hi-res WAV files has a depth and natural decay combined with a warm wide sound stage which none of my other recordings can touch. Not bad for a small independent label.
    Andre Heuvelman's After Silence is a stunning prove that he most be one of the worlds foremost trumpet players. I only have this download for a few days now but it is so convincingly recorded and produced that I had to put it on top.
    Carmen Gomes knows how to move you without having to use any of the cheap effect's so many singers are constantly using putting them self's above the music, not here, this is straight from the heart.She turns Chris Isaac's ''Wicked Game'' into a hauntingly beautiful song of desperate love. True mastery.
    Monty Alexander trio alumni, Paul Berner has made an achingly beautiful ''americana'' jazz album, with reed player Michael Moore in top form. The album with two guitars makes Bill Frisell come to mind.
    The interplay between the guitars is incredible.

Sound Liaison; Music Store

4. Dough McLeod; There's a Time
    5. Minnesota Orchestra; Symphonic Dances
    6. Albert Fuller; Bach & Rameau

Equally good are the Keith Johnson recordings from Reference Recordings. These were my top audiophile musics until Sound Liaison came along.
    The Doug McLeod recording has a similar sound as the Carmen Gomes ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' album, deep, warm and very natural. If it wasn't for the fact that Doug's voice is moving a little bit from left to right in the stereo image, that album would have been at No 1 or 2 together with Carmen Gomes.
    The Minnesota Orchestra's recording of the Symphonic Dances is simply the best recording of a symphony orchestra that I own.
    Albert Fullers lovely interpretations of Bach and Rameau's Harpsichord music. If you think you don't like the sound of a harpsichord, check this one out you'll be surprised.Reference Recordings Complete Audiophile Classical Music Orchestra and Jazz HDCD Catalog

7. Keith Jarrett; at the Blue Note.
    8. Bobo Stenson trio; Serenity.
    9; Peter Erskine trio; As it is.
    For piano trio recordings these 3 ECM albums are sublime.I know that a lot of people adore the the old Rudy van Gelder recordings but the sound of the piano he never got right. ECM does.
    ECM Records - Home

10. Joni Mitchell; Travelogue.
    Joni looking back and rerecording her best songs, with gorgeous Vince Mendoza arrangements.
    Her voice is deeper, more ''lived'' and her phrazing reveals her love of Billie Holiday. The recording is sublime with a BIG sound stage.

Now I will go back in time, analogue time, and the music from these L.P.'s will probably be known to most of you in one format or the other.

11.Miles Davis; Kind of Blue. this album needs no introduction. It has stood the test of time. The new remasters sounds even better. Manfred Eicher of ECM says that the sound of that album is what he is TRYING to achieve.

12. Sonny Rollins;The Bridge. Sonny and Jim Hall brings Coltrane and Miles to mind in contrast but maybe with an even bigger empathy.''God Bless the Child'' breathtakingly well played and sounding.Very clear placement of the instruments.That is actually what Sound Liaison and Reference Recordings has reintroduced a good, and well defined sound stage. A sound stage where it feels as if you can point a finger at each instrument and say; there it is! see the bass at 10 o'clock!

13.Frank Sinatra; Only the Lonely.This must be the recording that inspired the engineers of the Travelogue recording and is in my opinion the best Frank Sinatra album.
    14.George Shearing with Nancy Wilson;the Swinging is mutual!
    Listen to track 2 side one '' All Night Long'' That track almost,but just almost, makes me believe that old thick LP's sounds better than modern Hi-Resolution Studio Master Wav files.
    15.Monica Zetterlund with Bill Evans;Waltz for Debby.This sweet Sounding recording shows what a fantastic accompanist Bill Evans was. The Swedish engineers knew what they were doing too, a clearly defined sound stage.

16. Milt Jackson and Wes Montgomery; Bags Meet's Wes.
    Pat Metheny's favorite Wes album.Again placement and every instrument recorded to it's full potential. The tape machine was not running completely steady so the sound is trembling ever so slightly.
    17.John Coltrane; Crescent. So I guess that to keep the peace I better put in one Rudy van Gelder engineered album.Rudy did know how to record a saxophone and the drums sounds good too. Rudy's true strength though was balance.

18.Bobby Timmons trio;In Person. I love Ron Carter, the bass player,and he is magnificently prominent here, talkin' 'bout DEEP BASS.

19 Arthur Grumiaux, Bach Sonatas & Partitas. Somehow this recording tell's it like it is; this is the sound of the violin, this is how the Partita's sound. Just like with Carmen Gomes, MUSIC first!
    20. Holy Cole;Temptation. This is an old favorite of mine, sound of the bass has not stood the test of time, but the production is incredible.

21. Me'shell Ndegocéllo; Peace beyond Passion, again great production and.... placement.Unusual for a funk album from this period.
    22. Dave Brubeck; Time out. almost forgot this one, that would have been unforgivable. Time Out is an audiophile classic.

oops... I see that I went past the limit of 20 and I did not even get to Mingus; Ah Um... Steely Dan... Ray Charles..........

You, sir, have outstanding taste in music.
    Amplifier: Pass Labs INT 250 integrated.

DAC/Streamer: MSB Discrete Dual Power Supply.

Server: Roon Nucleus with lifetime subscription.

Speakers: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary
    Model.

Headphones/Amp: Focal Stellia phones, NAIM Uniti Atom Headphone Edition headphone amp/music player/server/streamer.

Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables,
    Mackenzie interconnects.

Speaker Stands: HiFi Man.

I can highly recommend the latest album from the label;

Sound Liaison Music Shop

The sound is really exquisite. Recorded in a wooden church with the same kind of reverberation as on the old Columbia albums ; Time Out and Kind of Blue;

or
    I send for this one in RedBook CD on her Music | Carmen Gomes site.

I have the highres version as well. Great album.
    Last edited by A.S.; February 13, 2022 at 09:33 AM. Reason: double post

Superb live recording. Great great upright bass sound; Sound Liaison Music Shop
    Special offer is ending Monday morning.

Try this album. Great music and production.
    Majamisty TriO

Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
    Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
    LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

or
    I send for this one in RedBook CD on her Music | Carmen Gomes site.

I have the highres version as well. Great album.
    album has won the album of the year award;
    Carmen Gomes 2023 album of the year.jpg DXD files at Sound Liaison Music Shop

Excellent! I will check out all the Majamisty TriO albums. I really start to appreciate BandCamp;

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

My 20 best SOUNDING album's, (all formats)