Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soulution 711

Re: Soulution 711

ahh i forgot the most important question.......

711 vs pass xa 160.8

any experiances...thoughts ?
    i know its something like 70k vs 30k...........here in europe its something like 45 vs 30.
    so without thinking about the price, like if someone offers you one for free.....which one would you take?

This year two soulution products got honored with the Golden Ear Award by The Absolute Sound!

Soulution 701 Power Amplifier (by Robert Harely)
    A pair of power amplifiers that cost more than a Mercedes S-Class? Yes, but if you have the dough, I doubt that you’ll find a more musically compelling amplifier on the planet. The massive 701s break new ground in sheer dynamic verve and vivid immediacy. Although not forward –sounding, the 701s convey a sensational lifelike presence in both timbre and dynamics that put them in a class by themselves. Instrumental entrances fairly jump from the loudspeakers with hair-raising realism. And then there’s the phenomenal bass that must be heard to be believed. These amplifiers have a bottom-of-the-earth solidity and dynamic impact unlike any amplifier I’ve heard. The soulution 701 are mega-priced, but they also deliver mega-performance. (Review forthcoming)

Soulution 711 Amplifier (by Jonathan Valin)
    This stereo version of the monoblocks Robert is also gracing with a Golden Ear Award is quite possibly the most exiting solid-state stereo amplifier I’ve heard in my home. Don’t let the 140Wpc power rating fool you – this thing is capable of virtually unlimited current and amperage regardless of the load. Dark and rich in tone color, blessed with tube-like dimensionality and bloom, sweet and subtle in the treble, immensely powerful and wonderfully well-defined in the bass, ultra-fast on transients, superb on resolving inner detail, with a sound-stage the size of the Ritz, I really don’t think the 711 has a weakness – or if it does I’m not hearing it with the Raidho D-5s. Other solid-state amplifiers may give you different sonic emphases – the less expensive Constellation Centaur, for example, isn’t as dark in tonal balance and it is at least as quick an detailed – and tubes and tube-hybrids (such as Sihltech’s marvellous SAGA System) obviously have their own unique charms, but overall I’ve not heard a solid-state amp that is more thrilling powerful or ravishingly beautiful or consistently lifelike than this beastie boy from Zurich. (Review forthcoming)

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    This year two soulution products got honored with the Golden Ear Award by The Absolute Sound!

Soulution 701 Power Amplifier (by Robert Harely)
    A pair of power amplifiers that cost more than a Mercedes S-Class? Yes, but if you have the dough, I doubt that you’ll find a more musically compelling amplifier on the planet. The massive 701s break new ground in sheer dynamic verve and vivid immediacy. Although not forward –sounding, the 701s convey a sensational lifelike presence in both timbre and dynamics that put them in a class by themselves. Instrumental entrances fairly jump from the loudspeakers with hair-raising realism. And then there’s the phenomenal bass that must be heard to be believed. These amplifiers have a bottom-of-the-earth solidity and dynamic impact unlike any amplifier I’ve heard. The soulution 701 are mega-priced, but they also deliver mega-performance. (Review forthcoming)

Soulution 711 Amplifier (by Jonathan Valin)
    This stereo version of the monoblocks Robert is also gracing with a Golden Ear Award is quite possibly the most exiting solid-state stereo amplifier I’ve heard in my home. Don’t let the 140Wpc power rating fool you – this thing is capable of virtually unlimited current and amperage regardless of the load. Dark and rich in tone color, blessed with tube-like dimensionality and bloom, sweet and subtle in the treble, immensely powerful and wonderfully well-defined in the bass, ultra-fast on transients, superb on resolving inner detail, with a sound-stage the size of the Ritz, I really don’t think the 711 has a weakness – or if it does I’m not hearing it with the Raidho D-5s. Other solid-state amplifiers may give you different sonic emphases – the less expensive Constellation Centaur, for example, isn’t as dark in tonal balance and it is at least as quick an detailed – and tubes and tube-hybrids (such as Sihltech’s marvellous SAGA System) obviously have their own unique charms, but overall I’ve not heard a solid-state amp that is more thrilling powerful or ravishingly beautiful or consistently lifelike than this beastie boy from Zurich. (Review forthcoming)
    Thanks for posting.

Soulution 711

I have used the ML No52 with the 711 and it sounded very good but I have noticed that to get the best performance and synergy out of solution amplifiers you need to use a solution preamp.
    Design Audio Video is a dealer for:

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:
    Raidho, Focal, Revel, Dynaudio, JBL, Sonus Faber

Cables:
    Tara Labs, Shunyata, Nordost, Straightwire, Ansuz, Transparent

Accessories:
    Stillpoints, Quadraspire, Shelter, Transrotor

Soulution 711

The Soulution preamp 520, in my room with the Hegel H30 is a great combination. I do not think the XA160.8 would be a match for the 711. I think the XS series would be a much more appropriate comparison.

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:

Cables:

Accessories:

Quote Originally Posted by Design Audio Video View Post
    I have used the ML No52 with the 711 and it sounded very good but I have noticed that to get the best performance and synergy out of solution amplifiers you need to use a solution preamp.
    David,

To get the best out of any amp you need to use a Soulution preamp......but of course I am not biased. or maybe this one

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    David,

To get the best out of any amp you need to use a Soulution preamp......but of course I am not biased. or maybe this one
    Ha! You beat me to it.

thx a LOT for all the information.

yes, i am convinced too that a 725 would be the right preamp.....the 711 alone would already stretch my budget.......so the 725 maybe a couple yers later as a second hand.

david, so for you the 711 is about in the same leage as the pass xs soundwise....or is it meant pricewise?

one more question
    does the 711 needs 1 or 2 powercords? and what kind of a powercord?

i cant see it myself
    http://www.soulution-audio.com/media...3_070_1002.gif

Audioshark

Just one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

The 711 also sounds fantastic with the 520 preamp,that would save you some money.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

yes....then again the 520 wont stop you thinking about the 725

Yes the 725 is a definite upgrade over the 520. The picture of the back of that amp is a 710 not a 711

Electronics:

Speakers:

Cables:

Accessories:

Electronics:

Speakers:

Cables:

Accessories:

From TAS review of 725, 711 and 701.

Is Soulution still advocating a high-speed, high-feedback approach to circuit design in amps and preamps? Or have you changed or improved upon your approach?

The audio sections of the 701/711 power amplifirs and the 725 preamplifir haven’t been changed. Their specifiations are still exactly the same as those of the older models. However, because of the large improvement in the “quality” of the supply voltages, the circuits are now better able to reveal their full potential.

Both the new and the old power amplifirs work with close to zero (0.1dB) global negative feedback (where we have just 1MHz of bandwidth of work with), but we use a lot of negative feedback in the local loops (where bandwidth goes up to 200MHz). The speed of the feedback loop is absolutely key for best sonic results.

In our original 700/710 amplifirs, voltage flctuations in the power supply to the power transistors of the output stage were compensated for by the global negative feedback loop. This worked quite effectively, although the feedback loop had to intervene more actively the higher the flctuations were. The 1MHz bandwidth of the global-feedback loop, usually considered very high compared to the audio bandwidth of 20kHz, turned out to be way too low not to have any sonic impact. This was exactly why we applied very little negative feedback in the global loop, although it also implied that every deviation that got corrected by this loop would have a sonic impact. By improving the performance of the power supplies in the 701/711 (and effectively eliminating voltage flctuations to the power transistors), we actually made the global feedback loop more or less redundant.

Good post; timely too. I have been contemplating the merits of upgrading my 721.

Paul, about time you updated your signature!

Yes Kev, I am making a snail look fast.

Paul, when do you plan on doing the Torus Wall Mount install?
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Le Roy, I have been out west skiing but I think it hit my dock in Elgin last week (it was supposed to). I will check when I go into the office Monday. I will get going in the next couple of weeks but again am not in a hurry because I am still lining up my vinyl as the next priority.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Le Roy, I have been out west skiing but I think it hit my dock in Elgin last week (it was supposed to). I will check when I go into the office Monday. I will get going in the next couple of weeks but again am not in a hurry because I am still lining up my vinyl as the next priority.
    Paul,

It's been fun to watch your amazing audio journey. I guess my signature line is under construction too. I'm mostly swapping gear but it's really neat to see you methodically build your system from scratch.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Thanks Ken....just make sure you don't try to set your watch by my rate of progress; you will be late for work.

Paul,

LOL, but you'll get it right the first time. I actually got the idea to go for my Soulution 501's from watching you build your system, so I owe you a big thank you because they sound absolutely wonderful. They are lightning fast, have huge dynamics and amazing timbral purity. I can't wait to add a 520 in the signal chain and hear what that does.

Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Paul,

LOL, but you'll get it right the first time. I actually got the idea to go for my Soulution 501's from watching you build your system, so I owe you a big thank you because they sound absolutely wonderful. They are lightning fast, have huge dynamics and amazing timbral purity. I can't wait to add a 520 in the signal chain and hear what that does.

Ken
    Ken, you should hear how good your amps are on the D3's
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Ken, you should hear how good your amps are on the D3's
    Hi Mark,

Yup, that's one of the main reasons I got the 501's, their wonderful synergy with Raidho speakers.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Paul,

Ken

They are indeed remarkable.....all the goodness of tubes with speed, bass and control of SS. At night if you close your eyes they glow too!!

Some new pics and technical info.

711 uses 8 Sanken 2SC3519 and 8 2SA1386 bipolar output transistors pr side, each deliver up to 15A each.
    That gives an absolute max output current of 120A.

711 is fast, slew rate rise time is 170V and fall time is 200V.
    Damping factor in 8 ohm at 1kHz is around 5600 (halves in lower impedances) = a lot of local feedback is used.

Compared to D'Agostino Momentum Stereo:

It uses 6 Sanken 2SC6145A and 6 2SA2223A bipolar output transistors pr side, each deliver up to 15A each.
    Max output is 90A.

Slew rate is slower at 80V, but it's fast compared to many other brands.
    Damping factor is 53 because of only 5dB local feedback.

Interesting comparison.

Thanks
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Compared to two more:

Tidal Impulse Stereo:

It uses 4 Sanken 2SC2921 and 4 2SA1215 bipolar output transistors pr side, each deliver up to 15A each.
    Max output is 60A.

Slew rate is 60V and damping factor is 400.

Wells Audio Innamorata Signature:

It uses 4 Toshiba 2SC5200 and 4 Toshiba 2SA1943 bipolar output transistors pr side, each deliver up to 15A each.
    Max output is 60A.

Slew rate is ?, but damping factor is 200.

Compared to Accuphase:

A-70:

It uses 10 2SK3497 and 10 2SJ318 Mosfet output transistors pr side, each deliver continuous up to 10A each.
    But unlike bipolar mosfet like heat. They can be used up to 150 degrees - if under it the mosfets can deliver up to 20A peak and 30A pulse power each.

Slew rate is ?, but damping factor is 800 means a lot of global feedback is used.

M-6000:

It uses 8 2SK3497 and 8 2SJ318 Mosfet output transistors pr side, each deliver continuous up to 10A each.
    Slew rate is fast - rise time is 100V and fall time is 150V.

Residual noise which is not normal S/N specs on M-6000 is phenomenal -119,5dB.
    On the older Soulution 710 not so good - unbalanced/balanced -113/-102dB.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Compared to Accuphase:

A-70:

It uses 10 2SK3497 and 10 2SJ318 Mosfet output transistors pr side, each deliver continuous up to 10A each.
    But unlike bipolar mosfet like heat. They can be used up to 150 degrees - if under it the mosfets can deliver up to 20A peak and 30A pulse power each.

Slew rate is ?, but damping factor is 800 means a lot of global feedback is used.

M-6000:

It uses 8 2SK3497 and 8 2SJ318 Mosfet output transistors pr side, each deliver continuous up to 10A each.
    Slew rate is fast - rise time is 100V and fall time is 150V.

Residual noise specs on M-6000 is phenomenal - close to -120dB.
    On Soulution not so good - unbalanced/balanced -113/-102dB.
    I believe these are the ratings for the 710. The SMPS in the 711 significantly improved the noise floor. The web site failed to update this stat in the ratings spec on the site but added the following:

"Noisefloor reduced by SMPS Technologie

The noisefloor measurement of the 710 stereo*amplifier clearly shows the in*fluence of the big toroidal trans*formers. Despite massive shielding of these trans*formers thte magnetic fields could cound induce noise arte*facts with amplitudes of -100dBr compared to the music signal. This is "state of the art" although it would be better to not have any noise artefacts at all. With our new SMPS based power supply we could significantly reduce this impact. The noise*floor measurements shows as well that the SMPS modules do not emmit any residual noise. A clear improvement!"

Noisefloor for 710 Stereoamplifier

Noisefloor for 711 Stereoamplifier

The 701 noise floor is claimed to be -160 db; the 711 is not not too far behind that (cross talk aside).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've corrected it:

Residual noise which is not normal S/N specs on M-6000 is phenomenal -119,5 dBr.
    I believe this is because of the global double feedback and instrumentation input amplifier they use.

On the older Soulution 710 not so good - unbalanced/balanced -113/-102 dBr.
    S/N on 710 was -107 dB.

S/N on the 720 preamp was -140 dB, but residual or silent noise is unbalanced/balanced -116,5/-102 dBr.

Here's the residual spec of 710 at Stereophile.

Soulution 710, spectrum of 1kHz sinewave, DC–10kHz, at 101W into 8 ohms (left channel blue, right red; linear frequency scale).

Is there a preference to running the 711 / 701 / 725 balanced or single ended? Has anyone done any comparisons?

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Last time I was at Davids, it was the best thing we listened to also. I was surprised because I really haven't liked past versions of Solution gear.
    Hi Jock,

I have a system similar to yours, a full Naim 500 series, except for the speakers. I have the Magico S3 MkII.

I'm planning some changes.

Changing speakers for a pair of Magico M2, or changing electronics for a Soulution 760 DAC and Soulution 711 amplifier combo.

Considering you own a Naim/Magico system and have auditioned the Soulution 711 I thought your opinion could be of some help.

Considering that I listen mostly to classical music and value instruments separation, layering and accuracy in sound-stage, I believe changing electronics could bring a lot, perhaps more than changing speakers.

Thanks for your help, inputs.

Thomas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Soulution 711