Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Re: Centaur Stereo Amp

If that happens, his head will explode. Tough call .....

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Mark...very cool. What happens if you also like the S3s will you replace both speaker and amp at same time or will it have to be one or the other at first?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Well, Jock came today and picked up the Constellation Centaur stereo amp. He left me a couple of other amps to play with, but I already miss the Constellation !

I will be doing a in-home demo of the Magico S3's in the next week or so, thanks to David Baskin and a certain one of our members.
    If the S3's don't better the Salon 2's, I will most likely be buying a Constellation stereo amp. It's hands down the best solid state amp I've ever heard in my system.
    And here is the list of amps I've heard with the Salon 2's;

Mc 402
    Mc 501 monos
    Anthem D1 monos
    Accuphase 6100
    D'Agostino stereo
    Mark Levinson No.53's
    Bryston 14b SST
    Solution 710
    ARC 450 class D
    Classe' CA M600's
    I'm probably forgetting a few more, along with some good tube amps.

The Centaur is without a doubt, the best amplifier I've ever heard on the Revel speakers !! If I'm honest, I simply cannot find fault with it. That's not to say it's perfect , it's not. But it's as perfect,to me, as anything else I've heard.
    I reminds me of the Lumin music streamer, it doesn't play music, music just flows out of it in the most beautiful and natural way. Its really quite hard to explain it.
    I think that I read that they design their circuits a little differently than others, I don't know if that matters, but I do know that I miss it already.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I agree it is the best solid state amp I have heard and I cycled through a number of them too. Its ability to drive the woofers with grunt and the treble/midrange with set like delicacy is unique. With S3s that would be a killer combo.

Super Moderator

Darrin,

You were way ahead of the curve on the Magico/Constellation combo. Look at all the aggravation we could have saved if we had only followed your lead. Thank you for showing us the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. I agree it is the best solid state amp I have heard and I cycled through a number of them too. Its ability to drive the woofers with grunt and the treble/midrange with set like delicacy is unique. With S3s that would be a killer combo.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Mark...very cool. What happens if you also like the S3s will you replace both speaker and amp at same time or will it have to be one or the other at first?
    Cyril, I don't know if I can pull off getting both at the same time, we'll see !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Darrin,

You were way ahead of the curve on the Magico/Constellation combo. Look at all the aggravation we could have saved if we had only followed your lead. Thank you for showing us the light.
    Thanks, Joe. Wouldn't have gotten there without your encouragement and example! Darrin

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Darrin,

You're right Joe, Darrin had it from the get go. I wish Darrin would give us his opinion again after owning them for so long !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Great news Mark! Maybe it was a self-preservation safety mechanism to split the two auditions apart to keep your head from exploding
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
    Great news Mark! Maybe it was a self-preservation safety mechanism to split the two auditions apart to keep your head from exploding

NAD C 658 streamer.

You're right Joe, Darrin had it from the get go. I wish Darrin would give us his opinion again after owning them for so long !
    Will do. And will compare constellation/Arc to my air tight gear driving the S5s.

Audioshark

Centaur Stereo Amp

Mark - the classe CAM600's (Stereophile Class A rated) have been the champ in your system for a while now. In what ways do you feel the Constellation stereo betters the classe monos? Lastly, in Fremer's review, he talks about the lack of slam of the Constellation. Have you noticed this or do you think this is perhaps a characteristic of the Constellation amp and Constellation preamp when run in direct mode rather than balanced?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Mark - the classe CAM600's (Stereophile Class A rated) have been the champ in your system for a while now. In what ways do you feel the Constellation stereo betters the classe monos? Lastly, in Fremer's review, he talks about the lack of slam of the Constellation. Have you noticed this or do you think this is perhaps a characteristic of the Constellation amp and Constellation preamp when run in direct mode rather than balanced?
    I noticed more texture and dynamics when centaur was run from a tube preamp versus the constellation preamp (which I demoed). Constellation preamp won on low volume presentation - ARC ref 40 tube amp won on slam and texture. Also - did Fremer listen to it with Magicos? My S5s never had such slam as with the constellation amp. Synergy of amp and speakers is everything.

Audioshark

Darrin - I don't have the review handy, but I wonder what preamp he was using. DartZeel perhaps? I have never heard the Constellation amp with anything but a Constellation preamp. I look forward to hearing it with some other brand of preamp.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Darrin - I don't have the review handy, but I wonder what preamp he was using. DartZeel perhaps? I have never heard the Constellation amp with anything but a Constellation preamp. I look forward to hearing it with some other brand of preamp.
    I thought the constellation preamp lost some of the magic the centaur is capable of.

Mike, Fremer's review was the only one that mentioned a lack of bass. In my system the Constellation absolutely "Rocked" !! It really excelled at Rock music better than any other amp.
    And before anyone says Rock music always sounds bad, let me tell you that Rock is one of the hardest genres to unravel !! An amp that can break down all the many instruments in Rock or Classical is what I want, it's very complex music. It's too easy for a lesser amp to just blend it all together rather than decipher it all.

As far as the Constellation preamp goes, when I heard it at David's on the S5's, it had tons of slam, even more when run in Balanced instead of Direct. But it sill had plenty no matter which way you ran it.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Audioshark

I thought the constellation preamp lost some of the magic the centaur is capable of.
    This is certainly seems to be the case. You've definitely been an early adopter Darrin and quite stealthy about it! . Was glad to read your earlier comments and look forward to more thoughts. From Mark's point of view you're sitting on a dynamite amp!

Wow, Mark, congrats! Seems like you're wll on a path to upgrading your entire system! First the Linn, then likely the amps, and soon speakers! Woohoo!

Look forward to updates to your journey!!

Allen

Darrin, I'm running it with the Classe' Cp800. which I think is one of the best preamps I've heard regardless of price. It was a magic combination !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Audioshark

Mike, Fremer's review was the only one that mentioned a lack of bass. In my system the Constellation absolutely "Rocked" !! It really excelled at Rock music better than any other amp.
    And before anyone says Rock music always sounds bad, let me tell you that Rock is one of the hardest genres to unravel !! An amp that can break down all the many instruments in Rock or Classical is what I want, it's very complex music. It's too easy for a lesser amp to just blend it all together rather than decipher it all.

As far as the Constellation preamp goes, when I heard it at David's on the S5's, it had tons of slam, even more when run in Balanced instead of Direct. But it sill had plenty no matter which way you ran it.
    Thanks Mark. It sure sounds like a special amp and one that must be auditioned at home. Will we have a Dag vs Constellation blind shootout? . We could sell tickets.

Thanks Mark. It sure sounds like a special amp and one that must be auditioned at home. Will we have a Dag vs Constellation blind shootout? . We could sell tickets.

Allen

Audioshark

Darrin, I'm running it with the Classe' Cp800. which I think is one of the best preamps I've heard regardless of price. It was a magic combination !!
    I totally agree. I've owned this preamp and it gets little to no respect. This is a world class preamp. As good as many of the $30k monsters out there....maybe better! .

Sounds like it's right up your alley Mark. If the amps can make rock music sound the way you described, imagine how other genres would do. Nice!
    Doug

Agree. My ultimate album is MoFi Supertramp "Crime of the Century". Totally can assess whether my system is working or not with that spinning.

I have read about the CP800 and I think John Atkinson and other reviewers bought it when they heard it and measured it. A true statement preamp

I have read about the CP800 and I think John Atkinson and other reviewers bought it when they heard it and measured it. A true statement preamp
    Darrin, it's like the Lumin, it gets no respect because it's too inexpensive !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Sounds like it's right up your alley Mark. If the amps can make rock music sound the way you described, imagine how other genres would do. Nice!
    Doug, you absolutely nailed my point !!

Trust me, if you find an amp that can play rock and classical, they will "Kill It" with stuff like Diana Krall !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Mark - Glad you like the Constellation. Can't wait to listen to it with the Salon 2s at some point in the future.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Thanks Mike !

We will see where this journey ends up.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Centaur Stereo Amp

I needed to burn in a ML No52 preamp so I put it with the Centaur mono's and that's a very good combination.
    Design Audio Video is a dealer for:

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:
    Raidho, Focal, Revel, Dynaudio, JBL, Sonus Faber

Cables:
    Tara Labs, Shunyata, Nordost, Straightwire, Ansuz, Transparent

Accessories:
    Stillpoints, Quadraspire, Shelter, Transrotor

Well, from what I remember of Fremer's review, his opinion seemed to match mine, of the Constellations. They had bass, lots of it actually. It's just that they were delicate about it. It's not old school, monster amp bass. And that causes a little bit of dissociation, since you're looking at this gorgeous, big amp, expecting prodigious bass, and still it sounds delicate.

That could lead one to believe the amps lack slam, but I found the Constellations very laid back. They were actually the most laid back amps (gear, actually, since I had the preamp as well) I've ever heard! So, they were perfect for rock, specially badly transferred digital like early CDs, or recent, compressed recordings. And while they were laid back, even forgiving, they were also absolutely transparent and resolving, with perfect resolution.

Needless to say, I was very impressed My only caveat was the preamp, whose ergonomics were not to my liking.

Oh, my impressions were on a Magico Q3, so yeah, Magico/Constellation is one sure way to go!

alexandre

The Constellation is indeed revealing, but in a very different manner than other revealing types of amps. It never sounds anything other than sweet and natural sounding.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

I noticed more texture and dynamics when centaur was run from a tube preamp versus the constellation preamp (which I demoed). Constellation preamp won on low volume presentation - ARC ref 40 tube amp won on slam and texture. Also - did Fremer listen to it with Magicos? My S5s never had such slam as with the constellation amp. Synergy of amp and speakers is everything.
    Darrin, Fremer reviewed the monos with a Dartzeel pre and Wilson Alexandria XLF's.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Wow, Mark, congrats! Seems like you're wll on a path to upgrading your entire system! First the Linn, then likely the amps, and soon speakers! Woohoo!

Look forward to updates to your journey!!
    Thanks Allen !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

I agree. In my short time to listen last night, The bass is definitely not lacking. It's there, very textured and revealing.

Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Centaur Stereo Amp

As soon as the stereo amp makes it's rounds it will be fun to compare it to the mono's. Murali, one of the owners, said they were very different from each other.

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:

Cables:

Accessories:

Centaur Stereo Amp

Maybe very different is an exaggeration but he did say they definitely did not sound exactly alike.

Electronics:

Speakers:

Cables:

Accessories:

Interesting. I figured they would sound the same only more so on the mono's.

Fremer reviewed the Mono's. Are there any reviews on the Stereo amp?

Quote Originally Posted by Design Audio Video View Post
    Maybe very different is an exaggeration but he did say they definitely did not sound exactly alike.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Well, from what I remember of Fremer's review, his opinion seemed to match mine, of the Constellations. They had bass, lots of it actually. It's just that they were delicate about it. It's not old school, monster amp bass. And that causes a little bit of dissociation, since you're looking at this gorgeous, big amp, expecting prodigious bass, and still it sounds delicate.

That could lead one to believe the amps lack slam, but I found the Constellations very laid back. They were actually the most laid back amps (gear, actually, since I had the preamp as well) I've ever heard! So, they were perfect for rock, specially badly transferred digital like early CDs, or recent, compressed recordings. And while they were laid back, even forgiving, they were also absolutely transparent and resolving, with perfect resolution.

Needless to say, I was very impressed My only caveat was the preamp, whose ergonomics were not to my liking.

Oh, my impressions were on a Magico Q3, so yeah, Magico/Constellation is one sure way to go!

alexandre
    Very good description.

After my relatively short time with the Centaur Stereo amp, I can absolutely say it is a great amp.

I didn't do a blind test with the D'Agostino Stereo but I did compare them.

My biggest recommendation is that if anybody is looking into a $25-30,000 amp then you HAVE to listen to both of these amps. Both are great - personal preference and speaker choice would be the difference.

The short of it is: tighter bass - Dag, vocals - tie/personal preference, cymbals - the Centaur has more texture. The Dag has better blacks when used with the Dag preamp. The Dag is better at low volumes, prob due to the blacker blacks.

My Accuphase preamp sounds better with the Centaur than the Dag preamp does.

I can't see anybody that has either switching to the other. Just too costly for not that much difference.
    Jock

---------

Jock, thanks for the feedback.

Curious why you thought the Accuphase was better with the Centaur than the Dag pre? More body/warmth?

Allen

I don't know exactly. But, when I listened to the Dag/Centaur combo, my toe didn't tap like it did with the Dag/Dag or Accuphase/Constelation combos.

I want to also add that my system has been optimized for the Dag amps. They are also what I am used to. So even tho I preferred the Dag over the Centaur, they are close enough and with no glaring problems with either. I would bet that if I was used to the Centaur and had optimized my system for it, that I would feel the same (opposite?) way only preferring the Centaur instead.
    Jock

---------

Thanks Jock !

I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

I really, really miss the Constellation amp
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

"really, really really?"

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    "really, really really?"
    Really!

NAD C 658 streamer.

I really, really miss the Constellation amp
    Only one way to fix that, Mark!

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Only one way to fix that, Mark!

Open the wallet...
    Doug

Centaur Stereo Amp

That really stinks. Hopefully the S3's don't have the same effect on you. Hope to get those in next week. They have shipped so it won't be long.

Electronics:

Speakers:

Cables:

Accessories:

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Design Audio Video View Post
    That really stinks. Hopefully the S3's don't have the same effect on you. Hope to get those in next week. They have shipped so it won't be long.
    David, did you ask Mark what his favorite color is and order the S3's accordingly...
    Doug

Centaur Stereo Amp

I have an extra black and bronze pair coming. I wanting a candy red pair badly.

Electronics:

Speakers:

Cables:

Accessories:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Centaur Stereo Amp