Lumin Review - Page 8
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Lumin Review

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lumin Review

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Jim - As others stated, you can have your digital files on a network storage device (like Synology) or USB device or the L1. I personally used an USB device initially but settled on the L1. The L1 is just plug and play; doesn’t get any easier.

Hope that helps!

PS - The S-1 allows to invert phase in the tools setting area. Not sure about the U-1.
    Thanks Mike!

So if you do not use a network, you can use the L1 plugged directly into the U1?
    MBP (3), stripped down for music only; Curious USB; Lush USB; PS Audio LanRover; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; 2 Audioquest Diamond ethernet - 1 3M 1 - 5M; Audioquest Diamond AES; Schiit Yggdrasil - updated; Ayre QB-9 DSD; Ayre Codex; ASR Emitter II Exclusive; all electronics on Grand Prix Audio stands; mass-loaded Tannoy Canterburys on custom stands; Outboard Duelund xover bypassing internal Tannoy xover & Tannoy EQ; bi-wired with Duelund DCA16GA speaker cables; mass-loaded REL 212 SEs; Duelund DCA20GA ICs; Stealth Dream PCs; dedicated custom room; various room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    Thanks Mike!

So if you do not use a network, you can use the L1 plugged directly into the U1?
    The L1 works like a NAS. It connects via your network. You can plug it in in any room, that resides on the same network as the U1.

The L1 sounds better than a USB attached drive or even a Synology/QNAP NAS.

The other option, is you can buy a $99 USB external HD and attach that to the U1. I personally prefer my U1 with the L1. I think Jock found the same.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

3. Likes the professor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The L1 works like a NAS. It connects via your network. You can plug it in in any room, that resides on the same network as the U1.

The L1 sounds better than a USB attached drive or even a Synology/QNAP NAS.

The other option, is you can buy a $99 USB external HD and attach that to the U1. I personally prefer my U1 with the L1. I think Jock found the same.
    Thanks Mike - as I mentioned, unfortunately I do not - and most likely will not - have a network in my demo room. It is in my office building. Was hoping to simply replace my 3(!) MBPs with the U1.
    MBP (3), stripped down for music only; Curious USB; Lush USB; PS Audio LanRover; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; 2 Audioquest Diamond ethernet - 1 3M 1 - 5M; Audioquest Diamond AES; Schiit Yggdrasil - updated; Ayre QB-9 DSD; Ayre Codex; ASR Emitter II Exclusive; all electronics on Grand Prix Audio stands; mass-loaded Tannoy Canterburys on custom stands; Outboard Duelund xover bypassing internal Tannoy xover & Tannoy EQ; bi-wired with Duelund DCA16GA speaker cables; mass-loaded REL 212 SEs; Duelund DCA20GA ICs; Stealth Dream PCs; dedicated custom room; various room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    Thanks Mike - as I mentioned, unfortunately I do not - and most likely will not - have a network in my demo room. It is in my office building. Was hoping to simply replace my 3(!) MBPs with the U1.
    Are you wireless? The U1 can work with an add on product like a wireless network extender from TP Link. Something like this (or better): https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wirel.../dp/B002T4D3M2
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Are you wireless? The U1 can work with an add on product like a wireless network extender from TP Link. Something like this (or better): https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wirel.../dp/B002T4D3M2
    Nope - not wireless. Always been a doubter - in fact there is no wireless of any kind in my office bldg/sound room. Generally the same set-up as I used at your place, only with the Berkely Alpha USB & better (also heavier & larger) DACs than the small & relatively lightweight Ayre Codex.

Was just hoping to escape computers here - even if they are stripped-down-to-music-only - and not go backwards sonically, from a musical engagement standpoint.

No need to reply if it's network based, as I don't want to wear you guys out. Thanks again!

www.getbettersound.com

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have your U1 connected to a network? Missing out on Tidal etc if so I guess, to me one of the pleasures of that device and app.

If that's really the case - no network anywhere - then you might try connecting the L1 to the U1 Ethernet port using a crossover cable. Not too sure that'll work but would be interesting to try.

Personally, I wouldn't want a hard drive anywhere near my U1, unless maybe it was solid state. A small, simple network might still be your best option. Doesn't even need to be internet-connected, although that's how the U1 gets firmware updates....
    Digital Front End Lumin U1 and L1 | PS Audio DirectStream w/ HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse
    Amplification Ayre MX-R Twenty w/ HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses
    Speakers Amphion Argon 3s
    Power Ayre L-5xe conditioner | Zu, Shunyata and Transparent PCs
    Cables HiDiamond D8 speaker | HiDiamond Genesis interconnects | AQ Diamond and HiDiamond Reference USB | Revelation Audio Labs "Cat8+" and AQ Diamond Ethernet with Black Box Fiber Media Converters
    Isolation Synergistic MIGs | IsoAcoustics Aperta's | IsoAcoustics IsoPucks | Stillpoints Ultra Mini’s | IsoAcoustics Oreas
    Other iFi Micro-iUSB3.0

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmusica View Post
    You don't have your U1 connected to a network? Missing out on Tidal etc if so I guess, to me one of the pleasures of that device and app.

If that's really the case - no network anywhere - then you might try connecting the L1 to the U1 Ethernet port using a crossover cable. Not too sure that'll work but would be interesting to try.
    As I mentioned above, I have a network in the house for Tidal, etc...

Just not in my office/sound room.

www.getbettersound.com

Post Thanks / Like

Another issue you will have without a network is how to control the U1. The app uses wifi to the network to control the U1. Of course other than the MBP, I think they all use wifi for control of the unit, so this issue is not only Lumin.

I use a simple apple network router for the 2 L1s, U1 and wifi for my listening room.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Lumin U1, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Gryphon Diablo 300 w DAC, Raidho D5, 2 Magico QSub15s, Shunyata Sigma IC/SC/PCs, Denali/Typhon.

Workshop: Lumin U1/BorderPatrol custom DAC, Border Patrol Pre and Power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, Magico Q15 subs, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

10. Thanks Jim Smith thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The new Roon Nucleus might be just the thing:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...PJV___nuQ/edit

www.getbettersound.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wireless works ok; however, I much prefer the ethernet connection to the Lumin. In my prior home, I had a wireless network extender for the Lumin. Occasionally, I would have some streaming interruptions (quality of service is not 100%). In our new home, I'm using an ethernet cable from the router to the Lumin and it works beautifully.

Jim, to your question, the L-1 must be connected to the network, not directly to the Lumin U-1.

Lastly, no need to respond. Just read the messages from earlier today.

Mike

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8