Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Shopping for a Smart Phone - Suggestions requested - Ideas?

I haven't been..I am too passionate...sorry...here is why

I work for Microsoft. Prior to that I worked for Tmobile. So basically, I have had ALOT of exposure to phones...

Sorry if I over-passioned...but Windows Phones still rule !!! LOL
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

It's all good Rob ! Hey I was wondering, did motorola move their cell phone assembly to Ft.Worth Tx. ? I know one of them did.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSectorA View Post
    My vote goes to Samsung Note 3, big screen and full featured including Incognito Screen . Been using it since it's release with no issue, very easy to operate.
    Hey Dan, what's the difference between a Samsung Note and a Samsung Galaxy touchscreen (smart phone - S Series)?
    Is the Note an iPad type like?
    Same screen than the s4 but bigger with a faster processor. What I love about it is I can read without glasses, use it for both personal and biz and I've had no issues to date. Fully configured in about an hour with 4 different email server type. To boot I have both French and English dictionary on the fly. That been said I ain't no techno geek, just a happy user.
    Dan

The older I get the more I know how little I know!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSectorA View Post
    Considering the size of my screen it's probably $300 anyways!
    How big is your Note 3 Dan? If it is like a tablet or a large pad then I cannot exchange time ($$) for one of them.
    Tablets and laptops are not included in my exchange. ...It has to be a smart phone (touchscreen, and the larger the better; for me, like 5").

* Next year sometimes I'll be looking for a tablet or a laptop; with a 10 to 20" screen. But I'm not there yet.
    Perhaps Mike will have a good deal for me by then. Or a member here has a spare one he's not using so he can make a nice gift to someone nice like I. ...A laptop would be cool.

BTW, my PC is so old that it has only 40Gb capacity (and 3/4+ of it is already used; I have to delete stuff occasionally).
    Takes about 15 minutes to boot it up (morning startup).
    Don't know it's exact size, all I can say it's the biggest I found that's not a tablet.
    Dan

The older I get the more I know how little I know!

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    It's all good Rob ! Hey I was wondering, did motorola move their cell phone assembly to Ft.Worth Tx. ? I know one of them did.
    Not sure Mark, probably after I left. I do know TMO moved their reverse logistics and repair to Texas. Used to be in LaGrange GA, full timers that cared. VP got the bright idea to outsource ..he was cutting corners for the ATT POTENTIAL acquisition...fail ! LOL

I used to get every new phone to try before release (friends with QC folks..lol). We played with Iphones too but Apple would not deal (at that time)

Now at MSFT, I see where everything is going and its amazing..Moto is another that is starting to fall off the map..not sure why...Thought the new RAZR looked cool...I have played with the new PHABLETS...lol..Phones are getting BIGGER not smaller...
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by ohbythebay View Post
    I haven't been..I am too passionate...sorry...here is why

I work for Microsoft. Prior to that I worked for Tmobile. So basically, I have had ALOT of exposure to phones...

Sorry if I over-passioned...but Windows Phones still rule !!! LOL
    Oh now I get it! You're biased! . It's all good.

Apple iPhone rules!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Hey, Beyonce (the young and cute artist female singer); did she just sell over 800,000 albums (her latest one; 14 songs + 17 video clips) from the iTunes store!
    ...And even before its official street release date!

Can I get that from a smart phone? From which one; Samsung Galaxy, Apple iPhone, Nokia Lumia, HTC, Nexus, Blackberry Z?
    I just wanna know who makes the best smart phone, who's the smartest? ...Really!
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Audioshark

iPhone!!!!!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Just rent one Bob.
    Hey you know that's a smart idea Doug.
    In case of a cataclysm (forest fire, hurricane, flood, ...) from which my phone can get hurt, I just lose my rental, not the entire phone.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by Matt715 View Post
    I'll throw my $.02 in for what it's worth.. I was in the same situation as you, Bob; remember my thread over at WBF? I ended up choosing the Galaxy S4 due to the excellent screen, fast processor, great camera, and replaceable battery. I was a bit apprehensive about getting such a large phone because they can be uncomfortable in in your pocket, but I've found it to be alright. I wouldn't get anything bigger, though. After having my S4 for 6 months, I still like it, but I find the radio signal (Verizon CDMA) to be weaker than my old Motorola V9m flip phone. As far as the phone feeling cheap, I have a thin silicone case around it so metal or plastic, I wouldn't know the difference. My battery life is pretty good too. I get on average 2-4 days on a charge depending on use.
    This is great Matt! I'm very inclined towards the Samsung Galaxy S3 right now, because the S4 is $700 (over my ceiling).
    Is there a big difference between the S3 ($450) and the S4?

If I were in the market for a phone right now, I think I would look at the HTC One, current Motorola offerings, Nokia Lumina, or an iPhone.
    ????? Not a Samsung Galaxy S4 (or S3)? ...I'm confused now, not that you intended to or that I wanted to, but still confused nonetheless.

My suggestion to you is to go to the store, get your hands on them and play with them for a while. See how they feel in your hands, how responsive the screen is, and if they fit your needs. The bottom line is, no matter what you buy, it will be "outdated" in about 6 months or less.
    Oh ya, it's part of the plan. ...The "outdated" part.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

The answer is ..No...

This is such a touchy subject. The IPhone folks are very loyal and they tell you "they just work"
    ...yet the IPHONE is the ones that always seem to have problems. You pay premium prices and then you have to hold the phone a certain way to get reception. They release with software errors that NO phone should have (read up on it). Apple security sucks (sorry Mike, I know I said I wouldn;t but the truth must be known).

But IPhone people will tell you "Oh its the best, they'll fix it in the next release" Its so easy, so many apps...as long as they are coming from apples proprietary screening (apple has the least number of apps because of this)

What I am trying to educate you guys on is YES, the IPhone was awesome a few years ago...it re-invented smart phone tech...but, like the Blackberry, it has frozen in time and is trying to live on its name. The windows phone and the services I listed run circles around them. You have to accept that technology can move on, that NEW can beat old even if market share was heavily weighted otherwise before. How the heck do you think the IPhone came to be so popular ? And in truth, it really isn't. Android has it beat 8 to 1 and Windows is just about caught up in share.

SO to Mikes' suggestion. yes, sit down at Best buy, check out the IPhone. But check out the Windows phone also.

BTW...There is a VERY good reason why Delta, Boeing, hospitals, etc. are going with Windows Surface tablets. Some of their IT guys have IPads...for fun...but they freely admit, Ipad's can't do what Windows can. Its like trying to compare a Laptops (windows) to a Kindle reader...No compare
    Rob, did you sell your tube TV and upgrade to a Kuro plasma?
    {Yes, I know, you have a 65" Panasonic plasma now.}

I don't feel to get an iPhone.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Now at MSFT, I see where everything is going and its amazing..Moto is another that is starting to fall off the map..not sure why...Thought the new RAZR looked cool...I have played with the new PHABLETS...lol..Phones are getting BIGGER not smaller...
    I think the Moto X is made in Texas. I believe Motorola lost their mojo because: they don't advertise heavily, their cameras are pretty mediocre, and other than the Moto X, their lineup hasn't changed all that much for a long time. I've been a longtime and loyal Motorola wireless fan and I felt that their last lineup of phones left a bit to be desired compared to the competition.

Truth is they all suck and are just something to waste money on. Stick with your landline!!
    I liked when you had to listen to your messages when you got home and called back who you wanted to.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    iPhone!!!!!
    I'm becoming more and more a believer by the minute. ...And hope to never die for the next eternity.

I'm now more inclined towards the iPhone 4S. ...Big difference against the 5S?
    ...Forget the money; just "cool" factor, and battery life, and heat, and ergonomics, and solidity, and performance of course.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    Truth is they all suck and are just something to waste money on. Stick with your landline!!
    I liked when you had to listen to your messages when you got home and called back who you wanted to.
    Can you bring your landline phone with you on the go? ...Check youtube videos?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

This is great Matt! I'm very inclined towards the Samsung Galaxy S3 right now, because the S4 is $700 (over my ceiling).
    Is there a big difference between the S3 ($450) and the S4?

????? Not a Samsung Galaxy S4 (or S3)? ...I'm confused now, not that you intended to or that I wanted to, but still confused nonetheless.

Oh ya, it's part of the plan. ...The "outdated" part.
    My buddy bought a S4, coming from a S3. He said that the phone fits much better in his hand, the screen responds better, it's snappier, and has much better reception. One thing I heard over and over about the S3 was how poor the reception was (CDMA versions so YMMV).

The reason why I don't suggest the S4 is that I believe that there are other phones that are better than it for the price. If you can get one cheap on contract, it's not bad. Again, my big beef with it is the reception, and the fact that they keep messing around with the software on my phone. I don't know what kind of coverage you have in your part of the world, but the coverage here can be spotty/nonexistent so I am very picky when it comes to having a phone that gets good reception. 3 watt bag phone anybody?

If you're looking for an older (less expensive) phone that will have good long term support, I think an Apple product is going to be your best bet. If you don't care about support or fancy features, buy a newer non current model (Apple or Android) off of craigslist or ebay and save some money.

I'm becoming more and more a believer by the minute. ...And hope to never die for the next eternity.

...Forget the money; just "cool" factor, and battery life, and heat, and ergonomics, and solidity, and performance of course.
    What about the 5C, Bob? One of my coworkers just traded his S4 for the 5C and likes it a lot.

#1 - No contract.
    #2 - No monthly payments, ever!
    #3 - Just a simple smart touchscreen phone that works great and that is affordable.

That is all I honestly want. ...Last year model I don't care, as long as it is reasonably priced and with top notch overall performance.
    Is there such a thing on this planet of ours called Earth?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

My buddy bought a S4, coming from a S3. He said that the phone fits much better in his hand, the screen responds better, it's snappier, and has much better reception. One thing I heard over and over about the S3 was how poor the reception was (CDMA versions so YMMV).

The reason why I don't suggest the S4 is that I believe that there are other phones that are better than it for the price. If you can get one cheap on contract, it's not bad. Again, my big beef with it is the reception, and the fact that they keep messing around with the software on my phone. I don't know what kind of coverage you have in your part of the world, but the coverage here can be spotty/nonexistent so I am very picky when it comes to having a phone that gets good reception. 3 watt bag phone anybody?

If you're looking for an older (less expensive) phone that will have good long term support, I think an Apple product is going to be your best bet. If you don't care about support or fancy features, buy a newer non current model (Apple or Android) off of craigslist or ebay and save some money.
    But Matt, did you read Rob's post before? ...He said that iPhones cannot sync (sing) with based Windows Operating System PCs. ...Microsoft. ...And that they have many flaws.

To be totally honest with you Matt, and I love you very very much , you are the most confusing poster so far in this thread.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

What about the 5C, Bob? One of my coworkers just traded his S4 for the 5C and likes it a lot.
    What is a 5C Matt? ...An Apple product, or a Samsung one? ...And how much, not over $500?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Apple iPhone 5C It's the less expensive iPhone.

Yes, I know I'm confusing. Honestly Bob, don't over think this and buy whichever one appeals to you the most and fits your budget.

I think Petro85 hit it on the head:

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    Truth is they all suck and are just something to waste money on.

Apple iPhone 5C It's the less expensive iPhone.

Yes, I know I'm confusing. Honestly Bob, don't over think this and buy whichever one appeals to you the most and fits your budget.

I think Petro85 hit it on the head:
    I was just humorously exaggerating Matt.
    ...I'm a smart apple, and when comes the time to pull the trigger watch out for that target; it'll be a dead center bullseye.
    But you guys know for sure how to steer one into his own direction, or away from it.

Steve is not only right regarding smart phones, but it also applies to most of the stuff in audio, and much much more.
    ...Cars, boats, watches, houses, wives.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Audioshark

I loved my 4S. It fit in my pocket better. The 5S is a nice upgrade, but I was very happy with my 4S.

I loved my 4S. It fit in my pocket better. The 5S is a nice upgrade, but I was very happy with my 4S.
    That I like, and it's in my price range; the right caliber (it sounds like a 45).

* Would it sync with Windows OS (Microsoft) though Mike? ....Because Rob said "no".
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Audioshark

It syncs perfectly with Windows via iTunes for Windows (which is FREE to download) - but I'm not sure about wirelessly. You would have to ask at the store. Go download iTunes for windows now and see what it looks like. Can't beat free. Now, what Apple has done is to create iCloud. So, your phone can sync to your free iCloud account. Wirelessly. Instantly. Automatically. Just ask at the store and continue to do your research.

Yes Mike, it has to be Wi-Fi. ... 100% Wi-Fi (my smartphone won't ever be connected 'wirely').

By the way, iTunes is not on my radar at all; never used it (only briefly for curiosity sake in another past lifetime),
    and I'm not expecting to in the near future, perhaps forever (till I die).

I'll ask details to the kids at the stores (hopefully they know something), and I'll search (goggle) for that iCloud stuff, and see if it fits with Windows.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Audioshark

Bob - you use iTunes with all "i" devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod) to sync with any one (or all) of those devices. That being said, for the main stuff (and probably everything you could ever want), wirelessly through iCloud.

Bob, I don't mean to throw a wrench in here but...

I've had my 4S for just over a year. I'm a firm believer that when there is a software update that it's for the better so I always update to the latest greatest. However, the last update made my wi-fi die. Something to do with the wi-fi chip overheating due to the nature of the new OS. Apparently this is only a problem with the 4S phone because of the particular chip in it so going with a 5 series phone should be okay. Of course all of this happened just a month past my warranty date so I'm screwed unless I buy a new phone. I've been a loyal Apple customer for 25 years but this has got me thinking about going with Samsung or something like that in the future just as a change of pace. YMMV of course, and probably will because my son and I got our phones at the same time and his wi-fi still works just fine.
    Doug

Audioshark

Doug - wow! That's the first I've heard of this. My wife still has her 4S and we have it always updated and no issues. I'm surprised Apple wouldn't have helped you out here.

Mike

Doug - wow! That's the first I've heard of this. My wife still has her 4S and we have it always updated and no issues. I'm surprised Apple wouldn't have helped you out here.

Mike
    Mike, I'm lucky to have an Apple store in a mall nearby so I went there to see what they could do for me. They restored the software, which I also did at home to no avail, but that did nothing. Unfortunately you cannot go back to an earlier version than what's installed at the time, which I don't get since they wipe your phone clean anyway. Since I was out of the warranty window my only option was/is to buy a new phone, but they could sell me an extended warranty with it!!! When updating the software you're made to agree to the terms in order to do so. Apparently this is the "out" as far as their responsibility goes. I will still only use Macs for home computing but as far as phones go this little hit has made me re-think what I use.

What stinks is that now I have to use 3G for everything so I need to keep an eye on my data usage during the month to make sure I don't go over. No more iTunes radio while I make dinner at night.
    Doug

Audioshark

That does stink Doug. That being said, a shiny new 5S would look nice under the Christmas tree this year!

Sorry to hear Doug...

If you a MAC / ITunes guy, the a windows phone will work seamlessly with your ITunes, and we recently put stuff out for MACS...And of course, MSFT has the cloud...for Music, documents...Called Skydrive...Its inherent in every MS product (Hotmail (now Outlook) , office, XBOX, xbox music)

BTW....read this...Its how you sync ITunes to the new WINDOWS phone you and Bob are going to BUY..LOL
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wind...15571499?mt=12

Can a MAC sync to XBOX music ? Nope

Audioshark

Who in the heck would want to sync a phone to an Xbox? Kids? Teenagers? It's just silly if you ask me. Can't Microsoft fix half the stuff they have now (Windows 8) and stop dreaming up silliness like this?

Anyway, buy an iPhone and enjoy. Buy Windows and join the frustrated many.

http://mobile.betanews.com/betanews/...27f5d9d023fe42

Bob - as an alternative, I would at least look at a Droid based phone. But based on using my friends latest and greatest Android based phone, I wouldn't swap it for my iPhone if you gave it to me, but YMMV. He likes his Droid phone because he can "hack" it and do all this stuff. Again, whatever. I just want my smartphone to work and be easy and fun to use - like an appliance.

Who in the heck would want to sync a phone to an Xbox?

Perhaps the 31million (and growing) XBOX live users. Not to mention when I say XBOX, I mean XBOX MUSIC (that's not XBOX, its the name of the music service)....SO year ,I think a lot of people would want to sync that just like people like to sync their ITunes..

Mike, really...Don't want to argue with you(it is your site after all...lol)..But I don't think you are in a position to speak about MS. You don't use the products so you cant speak to the benefits - you can speak to Apple quite well, but not on the MSFT stuff. No matter what you say, it is still the most overwhelming OS's in the world. The fact that we came to the phone industry "late" (and we know it) doesn't make us inferior.

Positive and negative links abound on the web...but from your own LINK
    Windows 8 apps

The growth is phenomenal and with MSFT encouraging app design (in an open environment) as opposed to Apples closed one, it will only continue to bypass the world of apple

In closing, Droid, IPhone or Windows, I hope what you guys get works for you and your needs because bottom line, that is what counts.

By the way...this is CURRENT ..so buy and IPhone and expect this
    iPhone 5: Common Problems Users Have and How to Fix Them | Digital Trends

UNCLE...LOL

@MIke...thank you for being a sport...When I said before its your board, I know you would never act against someone who had a differing opinion. What I meant was Its your board and as such I RESPECT you, your knowledge and who you are as a person. Debate is just that, debate. Nothing personal or mean spirited. Its like rooting for two different football teams. Of course we will be passionate...

But I holler UNCLE and let the buyer(s) figure what's best for them..Peace Out

Audioshark

Rob - No worries. It's all good. As a side, I just came back from the Verizon store where I played with 5 different Windows 8 phones. It was actually kind of funny how the more questions I asked about the Windows phones, the more the sales rep wanted to show me an Android or iPhone. She seemed frustrated that I had even the slightest interest in a Windows phone. She kept saying, "you can access that here, but I don't like Windows phones." I asked, "can I switch the default search engine from Bing to Google?" She says, "probably, I'm not sure. You would have to search for that. Let me show you the iPhone or a Droid phone." The more questions I asked, the more she said, "but on an iphone you can do X" or "on the Android, you can do Y".

Here is my take:

* Playing with the Nokia 928, it seemed fast. I like how the apps tile and flip.
    * I like the buttons at the bottom of the phone.
    * Touch screen is quite good and on par with the iPhone.

On the dislike side:
    * Side by Side with an iPhone, the Windows phone screen seems harder to read webpages.
    * the various tiling of apps is confusing due to the different sizes and strange icons.
    * Very bad screen burn screen in (you can see ghosting of previous webpages). This was non existent with iPhones in the store and Androids in the store.
    * Webpages seem slower to load on the Windows phone
    * Some apps display some strange code at the top of the screen (TWC app for example)
    * The Windows apps are almost non existent by comparison to iPhone or Droid. This was the one thing the sales rep kept hammering on "the Windows phone apps are a joke compared to the iPhone and Droid app selections."
    * No siri on Windows (although, I could personally care less about Siri - it's more of a gimmick IMO).
    * I like the Apple iCloud better than the Windows equivalent she showed me....but this could be just because the iCloud is so easy to use and I'm used to it.

Overall, the Windows phone was decent. I like some of the features and functionality, but it and the Windows Phone ecosystem in general has a long long way to mature to the level of the iPhone or the Droid IMO.

That being said, if I owned an XBox, and all Windows PC's and I was a hardcore Windows guy with programming and hacking desires, I would get a Windows phone. But if I wanted a phone that was easy to use, intuitive, with thousands and thousands of apps (many free) - which I think is one of the real benefits of a smart phone - I would buy an iphone.

That's my two cents.

Fair enough...just want to help. Thanks for going to try some out. Did you see the 1520 ? The Phablet ? LOL...NOt a big fan as I do not have pockets that big except on winter coats...

On the dislike side:
    * Side by Side with an iPhone, the Windows phone screen seems harder to read webpages. (hmmm..not sure why)
    * the various tiling of apps is confusing due to the different sizes and strange icons. That's made that way so the user can tailor the size..easier to bundle. Icons don't all have to be the same size but they can be
    * Very bad screen burn screen in (you can see ghosting of previous webpages). This was non existent with iPhones in the store and Androids in the store. Never noticed that, I will check
    * Webpages seem slower to load on the Windows phone - Might be the store...I know mine loads TONS faster than my Android phone did
    * Some apps display some strange code at the top of the screen (TWC app for example) - Not sure at all what that is ?
    * The Windows apps are almost non existent by comparison to iPhone or Droid. This was the one thing the sales rep kept hammering on "the Windows phone apps are a joke compared to the iPhone and Droid app selections." Apps growing by by the thousands
    * No siri on Windows (although, I could personally care less about Siri - it's more of a gimmick IMO). Will be out soon - Check the Verge for a sneak peak - Called Cortana
    * I like the Apple iCloud better than the Windows equivalent she showed me....but this could be just because the iCloud is so easy to use and I'm used to it. - We like what we are used to...lol

I've had my 4S for just over a year. I'm a firm believer that when there is a software update that it's for the better so I always update to the latest greatest. However, the last update made my wi-fi die. Something to do with the wi-fi chip overheating due to the nature of the new OS. Apparently this is only a problem with the 4S phone because of the particular chip in it so going with a 5 series phone should be okay. Of course all of this happened just a month past my warranty date so I'm screwed unless I buy a new phone. I've been a loyal Apple customer for 25 years but this has got me thinking about going with Samsung or something like that in the future just as a change of pace. YMMV of course, and probably will because my son and I got our phones at the same time and his wi-fi still works just fine.
    Doug, this is the worst news so far!

* And I don't want to spend $700 (Cdn) for the 5S.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

That does stink Doug. That being said, a shiny new 5S would look nice under the Christmas tree this year!
    The 6S is comin'.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Sorry to hear Doug...

If you a MAC / ITunes guy, the a windows phone will work seamlessly with your ITunes, and we recently put stuff out for MACS...And of course, MSFT has the cloud...for Music, documents...Called Skydrive...Its inherent in every MS product (Hotmail (now Outlook) , office, XBOX, xbox music)

BTW....read this...Its how you sync ITunes to the new WINDOWS phone you and Bob are going to BUY..LOL
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wind...15571499?mt=12

Can a MAC sync to XBOX music ? Nope
    Rob, I'm not so sure now that I'm going to buy an iPhone.
    ...I'm starting to see the light, and it's a safer light, smoother ride perhaps with Samsung Galaxy S3 (4.8" screen).
    ...My first original inclination.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Rob - No worries. It's all good. As a side, I just came back from the Verizon store where I played with 5 different Windows 8 phones. It was actually kind of funny how the more questions I asked about the Windows phones, the more the sales rep wanted to show me an Android or iPhone. She seemed frustrated that I had even the slightest interest in a Windows phone. She kept saying, "you can access that here, but I don't like Windows phones." I asked, "can I switch the default search engine from Bing to Google?" She says, "probably, I'm not sure. You would have to search for that. Let me show you the iPhone or a Droid phone." The more questions I asked, the more she said, "but on an iphone you can do X" or "on the Android, you can do Y".

Here is my take:

* Playing with the Nokia 928, it seemed fast. I like how the apps tile and flip.
    * I like the buttons at the bottom of the phone.
    * Touch screen is quite good and on par with the iPhone.

On the dislike side:
    * Side by Side with an iPhone, the Windows phone screen seems harder to read webpages.
    * the various tiling of apps is confusing due to the different sizes and strange icons.
    * Very bad screen burn screen in (you can see ghosting of previous webpages). This was non existent with iPhones in the store and Androids in the store.
    * Webpages seem slower to load on the Windows phone
    * Some apps display some strange code at the top of the screen (TWC app for example)
    * The Windows apps are almost non existent by comparison to iPhone or Droid. This was the one thing the sales rep kept hammering on "the Windows phone apps are a joke compared to the iPhone and Droid app selections."
    * No siri on Windows (although, I could personally care less about Siri - it's more of a gimmick IMO).
    * I like the Apple iCloud better than the Windows equivalent she showed me....but this could be just because the iCloud is so easy to use and I'm used to it.

Overall, the Windows phone was decent. I like some of the features and functionality, but it and the Windows Phone ecosystem in general has a long long way to mature to the level of the iPhone or the Droid IMO.

That being said, if I owned an XBox, and all Windows PC's and I was a hardcore Windows guy with programming and hacking desires, I would get a Windows phone. But if I wanted a phone that was easy to use, intuitive, with thousands and thousands of apps (many free) - which I think is one of the real benefits of a smart phone - I would buy an iphone.

That's my two cents.
    Mike, this is the most useful post so far in this thread!

And you and Rob, I both love you to the highest esteem; you are both the best example for the entire community.
    Everyone else too because each person has his opinion and his own phone he's using, and yet no blood on the streets of AudioShark!
    That should be a clear indication of what we're all about. .... RESPECT.

Should I get an android, an iPhone or a Windows phone?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Fair enough...just want to help. Thanks for going to try some out. Did you see the 1520 ? The Phablet ? LOL...NOt a big fan as I do not have pockets that big except on winter coats...

On the dislike side:
    * Side by Side with an iPhone, the Windows phone screen seems harder to read webpages. (hmmm..not sure why)
    * the various tiling of apps is confusing due to the different sizes and strange icons. That's made that way so the user can tailor the size..easier to bundle. Icons don't all have to be the same size but they can be
    * Very bad screen burn screen in (you can see ghosting of previous webpages). This was non existent with iPhones in the store and Androids in the store. Never noticed that, I will check
    * Webpages seem slower to load on the Windows phone - Might be the store...I know mine loads TONS faster than my Android phone did
    * Some apps display some strange code at the top of the screen (TWC app for example) - Not sure at all what that is ?
    * The Windows apps are almost non existent by comparison to iPhone or Droid. This was the one thing the sales rep kept hammering on "the Windows phone apps are a joke compared to the iPhone and Droid app selections." Apps growing by by the thousands
    * No siri on Windows (although, I could personally care less about Siri - it's more of a gimmick IMO). Will be out soon - Check the Verge for a sneak peak - Called Cortana
    * I like the Apple iCloud better than the Windows equivalent she showed me....but this could be just because the iCloud is so easy to use and I'm used to it. - We like what we are used to...lol
    Rob, this is the very best post so far in this thread!

And you and Mike, I both ....
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Hey, just in case - Here is a money saver IF you want a windows phone
    Buy Nokia Lumia 521 No Contract for T-Mobile - Microsoft Store

Buy Nokia Lumia 520 for AT&T (Black) - Microsoft Store

Not the top of the line but pretty awesome ..and at $99 or $59 dollars - no contract - just buy the phone...pretty good deal

Hey, just in case - Here is a money saver IF you want a windows phone
    Buy Nokia Lumia 521 No Contract for T-Mobile - Microsoft Store

Buy Nokia Lumia 520 for AT&T (Black) - Microsoft Store

Not the top of the line but pretty awesome ..and at $99 or $59 dollars - no contract - just buy the phone...pretty good deal
    Rob, the cell (mobile) representative from Guatemala to who I talked with couple days ago, that's exactly what he said to me; the Nokia Lumia (he probably meant the 521 model because it has a 4" screen diag. size) and at only $129 (here in Canada in Canadian dollars) is my best bet to save money. ...And have a great touchscreen phone I assume (one I'll be happy with as much as any other one).
    - He didn't steer me into any specific direction at all; he simply enumerated the facts as they are and simply told me that I'll save $321 over the iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S3.

Rob, obviously you know what you are talking about, so this next question is for you directly:
    Between the Nokia Lumia 521 and Samsung Galaxy S3 and their price difference of $321 (S3 is $450 Cdn);
    which one yourself would you be using (purchasing)?

And last question: Which smartphone are you using right now yourself? ...And your wife (I forgot)?

By the way, all those smartphones (touchscreen) mentioned so far in this thread, I can get without paying a cent.
    I simply exchange my time (in dollars that I already have accumulated), and no contract, no monthly payments at all.
    Free to use Wi-Fi with my PC (good for 15 meters), 50 minutes per each month for free, and after that only .15 cents per minute. And that is all (less perhaps .75 cents per month for having access to 911 emergency calls).

But! If you read again my first original post, you'll see the things that I personally would like to do comfortably.
    Not much at all really; fut few among them is to be able to surf the Wide World Web, watch videos and make phone calls once in a while. That's about it, so a nice screen would be a nice attribute for my own personal use.
    And the thing I'm thinking right now is the screen's size difference between 4 inches diagonal (Nokia Lumia 521) and 4.8 inches diagonal (Samsung Galaxy S3). And! Is the $321 difference between those two touchscreens truly worth it?
    ...The difference in screen's size between them is 0.8 inch.

Probably best now that I simply see it for myself at the store. But your opinion Rob is highly sought.
    ...So are the opinions of all the other members here at AudioShark, even Matt.

Rob, you're an expert on analog turntables of great value (carts included), and the frugal expert here at the 'aquarium' on smart phones as well. Your membership/presence here is extremely valuable for people like I, Matt, and many many other members and guests of our lovely and friendly community. ...And created by the best guy in the world; Mike!
    ...With the assistance of the two best other guys in the world, Joe and Mark.
    And with the participation of all the other best guys in the world; all the members.

One more: About LG Nexus touchscreen phones?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Doug, same happened to my 4S. Was in my top pocket at work & felt it getting hot to the point of I freaked & turned it off. Thought it was going to start melting so left it on the floor for 10 mins to see what would develop. The new ios is a freakin eyesore & now my phone is compromised & I have to keep rebooting it. If you don't know how to reboot, hold the power on/off down & push the button on the front until you see the apple logo reappear on the black screen. I saved the wifi, turned all notifications off & anything else that I thought was to blame with the new system update, but now about once a week the ph just hangs & then jams, reboot once or twice seems to fix, but I really hated that when I used windows back a time!

Go ahead Kev, say exactly what you have to say. That way we can get to a friendly common ground.

- Google slogans (logos): you don't like? Is there something wrong with that, is it bothering you personally?

Bob, they are tracked, observed,cookied etc, it is "the machine". Maybe I'm wrong but I highly doubt it. Incognito & "the machine" , really? No I am not fond of that, then again, it's an observation to someone on a public forum, I think we all need to remember where we are at times. Happy holidays Bob, don't wear that ph out over x'y.

More I read your original post....I think you should just go and buy a least expensive any smart phone. One more thing. Don't add a data plan that can be expensive ~!

My 2 cents.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    Bob, they are tracked, observed,cookied etc, it is "the machine". Maybe I'm wrong but I highly doubt it. Incognito & "the machine" , really? No I am not fond of that, then again, it's an observation to someone on a public forum, I think we all need to remember where we are at times. Happy holidays Bob, don't wear that ph out over x'y.
    Kev, screw the machine, and screw all the people who try to dictate others what to do and not to do.
    Nobody is after me, and I don't hurt anyone.

Where I am is called the planet Earth.

And Kev, I love you very much so; Happy Holidays to you and all your family!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    More I read your original post....I think you should just go and buy a least expensive any smart phone. One more thing. Don't add a data plan that can be expensive ~!

My 2 cents.
    Paul, you are getting my line of thinking, I think.

It don't have to be the most inexpensive one though (my budget is up to $500). I want performance, good size screen, ease of operation (Wi-Fi with my PC and Windows), and value for the money (it don't matter at all if it costs $100 or five times more).
    Battery life is a good thing, and I don't want one that gets too hot, and that would break down eventually (OS and upgrades). ...So longevity (durability) is a great attribute.

Another thing; I wont be dropping it on the street's pavement (I got some' else for that).
    So I don't think that I would ever break the screen, from any touchscreen phone.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Shopping for a  Smart Phone - Suggestions requested - Ideas?