Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Re: Shopping for a Smart Phone - Suggestions requested - Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ohbythebay View Post
    Bob, who is your carrier? Your comparison was a NOkia bottom of the line vs an droid higher end....The match would be the Nokia 920, 925 , 1020, 1520

Compare Phones & Devices
    Telus Telecommunications systems. That's in Canada; others are like Rogers, and Bell, plus few more smaller players (affiliated, or not).

My comparison would be like this: Moto G versus Nokia Lumia 625 | Android Central

Or like this: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...ones/8208,8027

The Moto G all by itself: Moto G review | Phone Reviews | TechRadar

<<>> I have read many many more comparisons and reviews of all the phones in the whole world (that's why you don't see me posting like usual in the last four to six weeks, plus I'm in love). At the end I finally decided on a maximum budget of approximately $300 (I don't need no $900 phone), and the phones I extensively "interviewed" were the Nokia Lumia 520 ($99 - prepaid), the Lumia 625 ($200), the Motorola Moto G ($200), and the Samsung Galaxy S3 ($300 - pre-owned).

I first ordered the 520 and then the next day I wanted to cancel my order but it was too late (already shipped).
    I still proceeded to order the Moto G (for roughly $115 more in total - $125 versus $240).
    So both phones should be here very soon, and one has to be returned (I don't need two, only one).

We are all very unique people on this planet, but there is only one perfect human being; you! ...And you only!
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

By the way Rob, the Moto G has the stuff of the big guns (not all but still pretty good), and it's just a budget phone (couple Canadian hundred dollar bills).
    I bet you can get the Moto G in the States for less than $150.

For me personally, the only downside is the 8GB low memory (without the possibility to add more).
    But I decided that I would simply delete unnecessary stuff, and transfer what I want to keep in my PC. ...I'm not a big user at all anyway, plus I'm in love now (better for the brain and heartbeat and good health).

Talk to me, just like lovers do.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

You want verve ?

But a Nokia OUTSIDE sale you can have any model ...Like I said, you are comparing their budget phone...anyway, best of luck with whatever you get...I am going for the ICON....
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bad news; two phones were sent to me at the right address but with the wrong name!

They are now both returning to my mobile phone provider. ...Had to start all over again!
    Thing is my account was charged for them both and now I have no sufficient funds to order one!
    So I talked to a higher rep and because it wasn't my fault they refund me one phone for now (normally takes 4 to 6 weeks).

How do you think I feel?

Rob, how much is the Nokia Lumia Icon? ...When you buy no-term.

* Motorola Moto G for me, sometimes next Friday. ...I can have any phone I want; inside (credit account) or outside (physical store).
    But because I never use my credits now is a good time to spend money I got sitting and doing nothing (instead of buying from new money in my pocket).

The Nokia Lumia 520 ($99) and 625 ($200) I checked, and the Moto G ($200) is going to be much more fun.
    Rob, before you get the Icon, check the money you can save with a budget phone, but still appears as an expensive one.

By the way, why are you getting a new phone, for the camera? ...You don't have a separate camera? ...Like a good compact one.
    If it's just for talking you can get one for only $2, a used one @ the Salvation Army store (or Godwill). ...A flipper.

I think each one of us should have no phone at all, just a custom chip (updatable/upgradable) implemented in the back of our neck and with a pair of "surround sound/3D movie/microphone/headphone" pair of glasses.
    That way we don't have anything to carry and everything is right there, in holographic 4D vision and in 9.2-channel surround sound.

Eventually, in a near future, we'll all be hooked up the proper way.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Rob, let simplify life and ask few simple questions:

1. What is one of the best smartphones for $100 or less?
    2. Same as above but for $200 or less?
    3. ...$300
    4. ...$400
    5. ...$500
    6. ...$600 and above.

I'm in the #2 category; about you?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

My new smartphone :::

What do you think?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Bye bye iPhones, bye bye Galaxies, bye bye Windows 8 (Nokias), bye bye everyone and welcome back Motorola.
    High-end Android for peanuts. ...Check those specs and them reviews, and you'll understand why I just purchased that one.

And thanks to all of you who just don't keep track with our world.

It's not what you have that is best, it's what you don't. ...Just Google it!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

if you havent learned anything from the highend forums youve been on, its that the most expensive is always the best.lmao!!!!
    good choice i was looking at that phone the other day and couldnt understand why it was cheaper than the others. congrats and best of luck with it. get the insurance cause ive broke like 5 smartphones.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Thx Steve!

Yeah, the HTC One would be the best of the best. ...Irregardless of price. ...And the LG Nexus 5 (excellent/powerful graphics and processor and screen resolution = great value because it costs less than all the other high-end ones but keep up with them and even beat them in many categories).
    ...Then the Moto G @ its low price is the new leader in that budget category, and it competes with the likes of Samsung Galaxy 3 and iPhone 4S, in some technical aspects and performance, and for only a fraction of their price. That tells me something about overpriced electronics in the world we live in (visually and auditory).

If you broke so many phones that's because you're a tough guy on the go.
    ...And you need a steel one (unbreakable) with Gorilla Glass version 9.9
    Wait another five years, and perhaps for one thousand clams. ...From LG maybe. ...Android Steel Blade.

- Nokia Lumia 1020 = 41.5 megapixels camera! Wow!
    - LG G2 = 3,000 mAh battery! WoW!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Arrow Motorola Moto G

First feedbacks:

- Powering back the phone On from completely Off (save the battery) is troublesome, it just doesn't work!
    {I keep holding the power button but the screen remains black - not good at all; looks like a major flaw to me - any suggestion because on the Net people are swimming in the dark, and they bring back their phones and buy another one, with different issues.}

- Any positive comments at this point are totally irrelevant when your phone won't power On!
    Maybe Motorola wants you to keep it always on, so that way you'll have to charge the battery more often (every day) and it'll eventually die!
    But then, if you turn it Off completely (to save that battery), it dies instantly anyway!

I'm just not into that stuff, and complexities of life. ...Anyone here know a simple solution?

Nobody ever said that life would be easy and happy.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Can you download a movie in your smartphone? And if yes how do you do that without the capability to add an external SD card?

Say you're out of power (main grid) and no phone line, no Wi-fi, no nothing, but your smartphone still has roughly 50% power remaining from its battery.
    You have a portable DVD player but the battery is dead, you have an AM radio and your C batteries are still good but AM radio is boring at best.
    Would be nice to watch a flick that you like, like 'Gravity' for example, on your smartphone, but how do you put in there in the first place?
    Say you have the digital copy, and you put it in your hard-drive (myself I can't because I don't have an optical DVD drive), or you have it on a USB stick...
    How can you download a flick into your smartphone?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Re: Motorola Moto G

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    First feedbacks:

- Powering back the phone On from completely Off (save the battery) is troublesome, it just doesn't work!
    {I keep holding the power button but the screen remains black - not good at all; looks like a major flaw to me - any suggestion because on the Net people are swimming in the dark, and they bring back their phones and buy another one, with different issues.}

- Any positive comments at this point are totally irrelevant when your phone won't power On!
    Maybe Motorola wants you to keep it always on, so that way you'll have to charge the battery more often (every day) and it'll eventually die!
    But then, if you turn it Off completely (to save that battery), it dies instantly anyway!

I'm just not into that stuff, and complexities of life. ...Anyone here know a simple solution?

Nobody ever said that life would be easy and happy.
    Ya gets what you pay for ...The industry is raving about the Nokia's for a reason. Moto is going the way of the Blackeberry, the dodo bird and 8 track tapes.

You think I am biased. I am not. I am just knowledgeable about what these things CAN and can't do...Consistently. Also another unknown feature that should be standard - ALL NOKIA and HTC windows phone have BETTER volume than any other phones. No more ear cupping to hear a call. In fact, so loud, you have to turn it down.
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Can you download a movie in your smartphone? And if yes how do you do that without the capability to add an external SD card?

Say you're out of power (main grid) and no phone line, no Wi-fi, no nothing, but your smartphone still has roughly 50% power remaining from its battery.
    You have a portable DVD player but the battery is dead, you have an AM radio and your C batteries are still good but AM radio is boring at best.
    Would be nice to watch a flick that you like, like 'Gravity' for example, on your smartphone, but how do you put in there in the first place?
    Say you have the digital copy, and you put it in your hard-drive (myself I can't because I don't have an optical DVD drive), or you have it on a USB stick...
    How can you download a flick into your smartphone?
    1) You could but kiss your storage goodbye
    2) It would kill your 50% battery pretty much

But still pretty easy - On a windows phone you just copy a WMV file to your phone (or mpeg but it will be large)

On an IPhone you probably have to buy a special cable - LOL

On a droid..who knows

Re: Motorola Moto G

Ya gets what you pay for ...The industry is raving about the Nokia's for a reason. Moto is going the way of the Blackeberry, the dodo bird and 8 track tapes.

You think I am biased. I am not. I am just knowledgeable about what these things CAN and can't do...Consistently. Also another unknown feature that should be standard - ALL NOKIA and HTC windows phone have BETTER volume than any other phones. No more ear cupping to hear a call. In fact, so loud, you have to turn it down.
    Rob, just earlier today I found my issue; I was powering my phone Off without turning on the screen first! ...It screwed up everything and wouldn't turn back On again.
    - The trick: First turn on your screen briefly, then power Off your phone. And after that it's easy to power it back On. ...Voila, I just didn't know that.

Also, true that my Moto G is not the best @ talking to people; my LG Chocolate flipper was much better.

* I've heard that Lenovo bought Motorola?

** I've been told to get a Google android as my first smartphone instead of one with Windows 8; less complicated. and more applications (one million plus).

*** The budget Nokia phones (in my target range) have a low res screen. A good Nokia one is much more money, here in Canada from my provider; like the Nokia Lumia 1020 for example @ $600 (that's three times more than my Moto G).

Eventually the Windows phones will be more prominent; from more companies, not just Nokia and HTC.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

But still pretty easy - On a windows phone you just copy a WMV file to your phone (or mpeg but it will be large)

On a droid..who knows
    You don't?

Who is the droid expert here at the Shark? He's the one I'm after.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

On a droid..who knows
    1) A movie takes less than 1gig of space. ...At lower resolution of course.
    2) A two hour movie takes roughly 30% of battery power.

Can a droid access my PC documents?

My Moto G doesn't have a charger; I use the included USB cable/adaptor to charge it from my PC.
    Can that USB cable used for other stuff? ...Getting input, and output? Yes, no? If no, too bad, if yes, what and which setting do I need to configure?

Rob, I know nothing, and I'm sorry if I bought an android phone over a Windows one, but I'm free to explore life according to my own vibes.
    I do appreciate though, immensely, all the info you provided so far. You're still my guru smartyphone expert. ...And my laptop man.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Rob, I took the five budget smartphones available from my service provider ($300 and below), and compare them to each other from that comparison chart below (see link).
    {And I did not want to spend more, and the next one after (6th one) was $400; the Samsung Galaxy S 4 Mini, and so on up to $919 for an iPhone.}

Here are their respective prices (here in Canada with my credits exchange; my only five choices within my $300 budget):
    * Nokia Lumia 520 = $99 (prepaid)
    * Nokia Lumia 625 = $200
    * Motorola Moto G = $200
    * Samsung Galaxy S III Mini = $300
    * LG Nexus 4 = $300 (pre-owned) ...Wasn't overly enthusiastic to own a pre-owned phone (was my foundation solid?)

And all no term of course.

Link: Nokia Lumia 520 vs Lumia 625 vs Motorola Moto G vs Samsung Galaxy S III mini vs LG Nexus 4

And I read several reviews of those five phones just above, plus other more expensive phones just to see what they offered more.
    At the end of the day I picked the Moto G.
    What you, and other members here, would have picked between those five (only those five); for simple fun and curiosity?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Well, aside from price, think about this.

The DROID or IPHONE software will not change. it is what it is. EXISTING windows phones will benefit from new software features like Cortana, etc. On a regular basis. Much more to come....

Glad you like your phone and glad you got the problem figured out !

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/features

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/feat...eatures-503922

But! Androids and iPhones are also always updating their applications and integrating new and cool ones, on a day-to-day basis.

My problem today came back: I can power my phone Off, but I cannot power it back On properly! I'll have to go downtown and show it to a phone expert.
    {The screen only light up very faintly with a very dark grey screen; it should be bright white with the Motorola logo.}

Rob, I'm sure that the Windows 8 phones are great phones and that they can only get better with more applications eventually.
    You're a Windows man (me too, but I'm open to androids and iPhones as well).

I don't pick something in life because I'm a supporter of this or that; I simply pick what I think is fair for the price and in comparison to the other players, within what I believe are the features, processing power, battery life, decent enough camera, effective operating system, good screen resolution, comfort in my hand, support, and overall performance that would satisfy me. ...That's why I posted that comparison link above.
    My second choice would have been the android LG Nexus 4, and my third the Windows 8 Nokia Lumia 625 model.
    If money was no object, I would probably get several of them; among them the HTC One, the Nokia Lumia 1520, the Samsung Galaxy S5, the iPhone 6s, the LG Nexus 5, the Sony Xperia Z1, the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, the LG G2, ...etc. And why not, I have all the money coming from my nose and ears and I want to experiment with all of them. ...Just for pure pleasure (fun)!

My phone (Moto G) is not the best, but it is the one I got now, and the one I'll grow with till I get rid of it.
    And it's just a phone, not a beautiful woman to who I'm in love all over with.

A car is a car is a car. A boat is a boat, a house is a house, a stereo hi-fi system is a stereo music rig, a dog is a dog, a bird is a bird, a cat is a cat, a phone is a phone, a computer is a computer, a beautiful girlfriend or wife is a beautiful human being to cherish and love, a life of fulfillment and good health is a beautiful thing, happiness. And there is so much more between and among all of that...
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Every smartphone, if they were truly smart, would automatically upgrade themselves to the latest and newest features and gadgets.
    We wouldn't have to purchase a new phone every year. ...Same thing with all audio electronics; HDTVs, Surround Sound Processors, Blu-ray players, HR Music servers, etc.

And Rob, honestly, tell me if this guy inspires confidence:

We live in a world of consumption, a world of congestion (highways, bridges, ...), a world of pollution and global warning (oil, plastic, McDonalds, Wall Street, ...), and where recycling takes the back burner.
    We are so much advanced technologically that we can't even find a big plane disappearing with over 200 passengers aboard, and take care of our planet's climate changes for the best of humanity!

All we truly care of is money, power, control, and more and more money. ...Screw the forests, the vegetation, the air, the sky, the soil, the water, the animal kingdom, and screw our planet, the doom of human kind.

No?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

The more I learn about my friends (Rob, and everyone) the more I love you all.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Shopping for a  Smart Phone - Suggestions requested - Ideas?