Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Preamp question

Preamp question

I am considering buying a used CJ tube preamp to go with my Pass X250 amp and Magnepan 1.6 speakers. I am considering these preamps- ET-3 or ET3se and the 17LS preamp. Any thoughts on how these compare? I am open to a BAT preamp as well. I want a slightly warmer sound and lush but transparent midrange with good bass. I don't want syrupy.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Re: Preamp question

Regards Dave
    VPI Classic 3, Shelter 501mk2, Sutherland 20/20

Quote Originally Posted by gooch View Post
    Thanks Gooch. I would like to know the difference in sound between the ET-3 and the 3se version.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    I am considering buying a used CJ tube preamp to go with my Pass X250 amp and Magnepan 1.6 speakers. I am considering these preamps- ET-3 or ET3se and the 17LS preamp. Any thoughts on how these compare? I am open to a BAT preamp as well. I want a slightly warmer sound and lush but transparent midrange with good bass. I don't want syrupy.
    Definitely CJ. Classic tube sound.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Talking Re: Preamp question

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    My quick 2 cents...YMMV.
    First off, I can't compare AR to CJ unfortunately. AR would be my 2nd choice in a heartbeat of I hadn't began with CJ a few years back...and when I mention AR as second choice, I don't in any way mean to imply that I consider AR "second" to CJ.

I owned several new-series CJ preamps starting the an old CJ Classic. Note that if you really prefer a real Classic sound tube sound, the newer CJ preamps are IMHO far less "classic tube" sounding... I attribute this to the move to a solid state (FET) output buffer stage....lower overall output impedance and fewer tubes in the signal path. The newer preamps retain at some of the tube lushness, along with speed and detail that might have been considered lacking in older CJ designs. I consider the "new" sound a perfect balance.

I moved from the Classic to the ET-3 SE. the short story is I'm sold on "CJ Teflon" wherever possible. I hate to admit it, but, especially in the preamps, these things do seem to make a substantial difference... ..(being a pure scientist at heart, I hate this idea of dialectic absorption affecting audio, but, in the end I'm taking it on faith, and my own UN-scientific experimentation)

I've owned ET3SE and ET5, for the $$, the ET3SE is I feel very close to the ET5.

I notice you don't want "syrupy" ... so... my simple recommendation would be... if CJ is a prime contender, stay away from the older CJ preamps, look to the ET series!
    IMHO, YMMV, LSMFT.
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Thanks Rayoo! But what are the differences between the ET-3 and the SE version?

Primarily the SE versions add additional Teflon Capacitors, Metal Foil resistors, (including within the stepped attenuator) improved RCAs and I believe a better power cord.

If within budget I'd definitely recommend the SE. But, to be clear, I've not specifically compared the SE and non-SE versions.
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

I've popped the hood on my ET-3SE and the differences are as what Rayooo has pointed out. Just like to point out also that the Teflon caps are bypass for the output coupling cap and the power supply caps.

I absolute love mine. Two things I don't like though. The first is the incredibly long burn in time for those Teflon caps (hey, same applies for any other gear using such caps), and a tendency for tubes to become noisy. I was advised by a well known tube vendor to stick to the stock EH6922. Sadly, I had gone through about 3 GL6922s that progressively turned noisy before that. A return to the EH fixed the problem in a jiffy.

Anyone have a chance to hear the ET-3se compared to a BAT VK-51se, Vk-32se or 52se? I am considering major changes to my system and ditching everything for an integrated or just keeping my Pass amp and going with a new preamp and speakers.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Preamp question