Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: VAC phi200's

Audioshark

VAC phi200's

Demoing these babies today....

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: VAC phi200's

I was just on the VAC site. I would love to hear some of this newer gear from VAC.

Keep us posted
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

just gorgeous.
    Nick
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

Tube rules !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

Fun fun fun!!!!!!!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Sweet Mike.
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

Audioshark

I just finished the demo. We listened to a variety of music. My comments begin with "hmmmmm...." (as in, "not what I was expecting"). After having the pleasure of listening to my friends VAC 100/100 many times in his home and my own, I was not prepared for what I heard today. I was thinking it would sound similar, just a smidge better.

Let's just put it this way: I like my coffee to taste like coffee, a truck to drive like a truck (and not a car), my wife to always be the most beautiful woman in my eyes and my tube amps to sound like tube amps. These do not. They sound like very good solid state amps. This isn't a knock or a criticism, its just a fact of how I heard them vs the much older, more traditional tube sounding - VAC 100/100. It is beyond me why tube amp manufacturers like VTL, VAC, and even ARC to a degree - are obsessed with making their amps sound more like solid state, when the solid state manufacturers are working hard to make their amps sound more tube like. I don't get it. If I'm buying a tube amp - I want it to sound like a tube amp - warts and all.

That being said, if you've always wanted a tube amp but have been afraid of the loss of micro dynamics, speed, bass control, punchiness, etc. - then you will be very happy with the phi200's. These amps strike a nice balance between solid state characteristics and some tube characteristics.

However, if you're like me and want your tube amps to sound like, well, tube amps (full, rich, bloomy, voluptuous with soft, palatable rounded edges), then you may want to explore some other options.

I have heard the VAC 300.1's are closer to this fuller, richer sound and I hope to one day audition them as well.

Ironically, for me, I actually think the VAC 200's would sound outstanding on the Alexia's - and I hope one day I can try them on my system. With their speed, punchiness, tight bass control - I feel they would work really well. But for me, they just aren't different enough sonically (and certainly not better) than the D'Agostino Monos - to justify the cost.

As a side, these amps definitely put off some heat.

YMMV.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

WOW...I'm surprised. What was the rest of gears ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I want it to sound like a tube amp - warts and all.
    I couldn't agree with you more and that was the reason I kept the MC275's over MC2301's
    Paul

Interesting.

Thanks for the observations.

It does seem like the difference between SS and tube is getting smaller and smaller.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Love the VAC gear, but I'm hearing you Mike, you'll definitely need a smidge of warm with the neutral Alexia's

Audioshark

Thinking a pair of McIntosh 275 mk6's would fit the bill. Thoughts?

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

I just finished the demo. We listened to a variety of music. My comments begin with "hmmmmm...." (as in, "not what I was expecting"). After having the pleasure of listening to my friends VAC 100/100 many times in his home and my own, I was not prepared for what I heard today. I was thinking it would sound similar, just a smidge better.

Let's just put it this way: I like my coffee to taste like coffee, a truck to drive like a truck (and not a car), my wife to always be the most beautiful woman in my eyes and my tube amps to sound like tube amps. These do not. They sound like very good solid state amps. This isn't a knock or a criticism, its just a fact of how I heard them vs the much older, more traditional tube sounding - VAC 100/100. It is beyond me why tube amp manufacturers like VTL, VAC, and even ARC to a degree - are obsessed with making their amps sound more like solid state, when the solid state manufacturers are working hard to make their amps sound more tube like. I don't get it. If I'm buying a tube amp - I want it to sound like a tube amp - warts and all.

That being said, if you've always wanted a tube amp but have been afraid of the loss of micro dynamics, speed, bass control, punchiness, etc. - then you will be very happy with the phi200's. These amps strike a nice balance between solid state characteristics and some tube characteristics.

However, if you're like me and want your tube amps to sound like, well, tube amps (full, rich, bloomy, voluptuous with soft, palatable rounded edges), then you may want to explore some other options.

I have heard the VAC 300.1's are closer to this fuller, richer sound and I hope to one day audition them as well.

Ironically, for me, I actually think the VAC 200's would sound outstanding on the Alexia's - and I hope one day I can try them on my system. With their speed, punchiness, tight bass control - I feel they would work really well. But for me, they just aren't different enough sonically (and certainly not better) than the D'Agostino Monos - to justify the cost.

As a side, these amps definitely put off some heat.

YMMV.
    Good write up Mike ! That's what I heard with the VAC 160i integrated. I disagree with you on the VAC PHI 200's and the Alexia, I think the Alexia needs more meat on the bone than the VAC will provide, but hey, I've been wrong before. lol
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Audioshark

The 200's aren't thin sounding. I think they would be excellent.....but I'm looking for a real tube amp.....not one disguising as a solid state amp.

I'm thinking that very thought.

Audioshark

Bruce - can you comment on what your friend is using the 275's and Wilson?

Bruce - can you comment on what your friend is using the 275's and Wilson?
    Mike…I haven't heard them yet. The system is the 275s run as mono blocs, into Wilson Sophia 3s. Joe and I are hoping to visit and hear them soon. A good friend of mine, who's opinion I trust, has heard the system numerous times and has given me rave reviews….enough that I am seriously considering a pair of the beautiful Mac tube amps. I have heard the Sophia 3s a few times and other Wilsons on many occasions …. I am convinced that all the Wilsons have the ability to be outstanding if mated with the right electronics and set up correctly.

Audioshark

Thanks Bruce. I'm eyeing a pair of 275's too. Paul's comment about them got me thinking. Too bad the 275's haven't been around long....

Banned

Very nice Vac pces, I also appreciate.

I still recall my first listening experience new right out of the box a brand new Sig MK2a pre-amp, I still owned and had in possession a ARC Ref3, MBL 6010d and VTL 7.5 mk2. I new it was special!

I was at the time comparing numerous amps with my MBL 101E's. The pre-amp paired up well with any of the amps I had on hand - Bolder 2050's, Karan 1200's, MBL 9011's, Bryston 28's, CAT JL3 Sig MK2's just to name a few.

I really liked what I was hearing and as more time went on and I logged on more and more hours on the Vac found it was my preference paired up with any of the amps I had.

In the end those other three pre-amps which I had owned for some time were sold, now I was narrowing down what amps I would end up with my MBL's. I was learning allot listening to different combo's, in the end found myself liking this and that from different manufactures but none that stood out saying that's the one.

I was privy to Kevin of Vac had been working on all out assault mono bocks but crazy expensive and there would be no opportunity to hear with my speakers unless I placed an order. Long story short a opportunity came about that someone happened to own the same speakers and Vac pre-amp - source both red book and my fav being a vinyl set-up in what I call a real word atmosphere, a home. Had to book a flight out of country and go listen.

Upon arrival the music was playing very low, I have found this is very hard for most system's to do and still sound involving. I had never heard this model of MBL's perform in such a way. While there for the three days I tried to find fault's putting them threw numerous listening test, in the end just a marvelous experience. When I got home I still had three of the amps mentioned above - listened for a week and in the end finally packed them up. Really didn't need a week I placed my order and waited, sold my last pair off once they arrived

See below some older pics,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Absolutely beautiful DEV!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Absolutely beautiful DEV!
    Thanks joeinid, in the end it' all about the listening experience for me.

Attached is my current set-up, Vac Statement 450 are just off to the sides.

New Finite Reference double stand with some new pces like the TecDAS Air Force One table with Elite tonearm, one with Bob Graham installing his Elite arm

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; January 8, 2014 at 06:41 PM.

That's a beautiful setup, dev!! Well done!

Curious, what audio rack is that?

Allen

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    That's a beautiful setup, dev!! Well done!

Curious, what audio rack is that?
    Thanks socfan12, pogode by finite element ref edition from germany

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

VAC phi200's