Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Audioshark

Has Aesthetix become a forgotten brand?

Rarely in discussions do I read much these days about Aesthetix. Has Aesthetix become a forgotten brand in our WTB discussions? Why? With consistently award winning products like Janus Signature Preamp and the Atlas Signature amp, among others terrific Aesthetix products, Jim White and his California crew are consistently turning out great products at competitive prices.

In fact, at this years RMAF, the Aesthetix/Focal room featured on the mezzanine, was one of the best sounding, most musically enjoyable rooms I visited.

If you're in the market for a amp, preamp, phono stage or preamp with a terrific phono stage, give Aesthetix a listen. You won't be disappointed.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Re: Has Aesthetix become a forgotten brand?

I think they make great stuff !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

I have two close friends who both own the Aesthetix Callisto and I/O line and phono stages, along with their multiple chassis power supplies. They offer a very relaxed and spacious soundstage presentation that is very rich and involving. Maybe not the last word in revealing the ultimate level of detail, but if you like warm and enveloping sound they really do it exceedingly well!

Aesthetix is always on my short list of recos for serious systems. While I'd probably take the AMR DAC in the same price range, the Pre and those hybrid amps are very special.
    Main: McIntosh XRT1K MDA1000 MC402 | JL F113 | M2Tech HiFace | WireWorld Cabling | RGPC1200C | PPP
    Office: Bel Canto S300iu 24/96 | KEF LS50 | REL R218 | WW Mini Eclipse | 6.3 TB Media Server
    Mobile: McIntosh MX406 MDA5000 MCD4000 MCC420M | JM Lab/Focal Utopia

The Atlas Signature mono amps are on my short list for an amplifier upgrade.
    Rick

Ayre MX-R Focal Diablo Utopia III REL S/2 (x2) emm Labs PRE2, DAC2X Aurender N10 Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Zitron Python, Zitron Alpha HC, Zitron Alpha Digital and Zitron Alpha Analog PC's Siltech Royal Signature Prince SC's, Royal Signature Princess IC's, Royal Signature Golden Ridge II AES/EBU Quadraspire Q4L Rack

I loved the sound of the 2 chassis IO phono stage - It really is world class.

I did not love the sound of tube hiss thou coming from it and two Rhea's I have had at home for demo.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    I loved the sound of the 2 chassis IO phono stage - It really is world class.

I did not love the sound of tube hiss thou coming from it and two Rhea's I have had at home for demo.
    My experience echoes yours, but both of my buddies with the IO and Callisto combo have chosen to live with the hiss and justify it as being the 'nature of the beast' when running a system with that many tubes. They do have a magical sound! Both have required some servicing over the years, but Glenn (the Aesthetix service expert) has always taken good care of them.

I had a rhea and then sold it and bought a rhea signature. Loved the sound of it once i had sorted out the right low noise tubes for it. Incredibly user friendly gain and loading adjustment for multiple inputs. Really a dream. The staff at Aesthetix were stellar as well, when i experienced tube failures and were quick to get me set again. At RMAF, the aesthetix system was really awesome and had a great selection of vinyl, but the few times i went in it was way too loud for me that i left fairly fast.
    Their gear is well made though the Rhea was a bit tough to find a lasting low-noise tube complement.

They are always in the fray but I guess Aesthetix is less in the limelight since they don't introduce new products very often, they rather improve the products they have as they go along. Example would be IO to IO sig to IO Eclipse, IO has been in existence since the late 1990's. I have always liked the sound of their products but also the fact that they don't become obsolete quickly. Stage is very wide and very deep with a lifelike appeal and non fatiguing. A friend of mine was in the market to buy a phono preamp and used my system for comparison purpose so I had the chance to A/B the IO to a Boulder 1008 and IO to the Audio Flight phono. Although the Audio Flight was closer to IO, none of them gave me the expansive stage that IO did nor the harmonics nor decay. Boulder was more in your face kind of sound, Ying versus Yang for the IO. Again YMMV and taste are not disputable so everybody wins .

I can hear tube rush through my IO but I have to be at pretty high SPL to hear so, my guess is that tube quality and wear will have a lot to do with it. Also service has always been impeccable with Glenn and he is genuinely interested with any question or problem that you may have.

If you are looking for a product that is highly musical and does not get replaced by a new and improved model every six months then you should inquire in Aesthetix.
    Dan

The older I get the more I know how little I know!

Audioshark

Well said!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I was aiming to purchase a pair of Atlas mono sig earlier on this year until I found a used pair of Ayre MX-R that stopped me dead in my tracks
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by RedSectorA View Post
    I was aiming to purchase a pair of Atlas mono sig earlier on this year until I found a used pair of Ayre MX-R that stopped me dead in my tracks
    That's funny! My upgrade short list consists of the Atlas and the MX-R. I can not demo them locally, but fortunately the closest dealer carries both product lines.
    Rick

Ayre MX-R Focal Diablo Utopia III REL S/2 (x2) emm Labs PRE2, DAC2X Aurender N10 Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Zitron Python, Zitron Alpha HC, Zitron Alpha Digital and Zitron Alpha Analog PC's Siltech Royal Signature Prince SC's, Royal Signature Princess IC's, Royal Signature Golden Ridge II AES/EBU Quadraspire Q4L Rack

Super Moderator

Dan,

congratulations on the MX-R's.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Dan,

congratulations on the MX-R's.
    Thx Joe, actually changed so many things in my sound system this year that my bank account is empty (time to replenish) but my hears are having one hell of a good time
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by RLL1 View Post
    That's funny! My upgrade short list consists of the Atlas and the MX-R. I can not demo them locally, but fortunately the closest dealer carries both product lines.

I listened to stereo Atlas and it is somewhat close to the MX-R, been infatuated by the MX-R's for a few years so when the opportunity creep up I just went for it (that is after doing a last trial in my home system).
    Dan

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RedSectorA View Post
    Thx Joe, actually changed so many things in my sound system this year that my bank account is empty (time to replenish) but my ears are having one hell of a good time
    You do not have to explain about empty bank accounts to me.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RLL1 View Post
    You're in luck, there's an Atlas Signature for sale in the classified forum.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kana813 View Post
    Stereophile Class A rated amp!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Stereophile Class A rated amp!

Isn't that amp on Mike's short list?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by kana813 View Post
    Yes I seen it. Unfortunately it is the wrong color for my system, and I was thinking of the mono configuration. Good luck on the sale, it is a beautiful amp!
    Rick

I also had issues with tube rush in both preamps and phono stages. I ended up using a Bent Audio step up transformer with my low output moving coil cartridge with great results. The step up transformer eliminates many possible problems and made my Aesthetix phono stage sound beautiful. Bent Audio stopped making their SUT years ago and if you could find one now, they probably go for more than the original retail price. I'm sorry I let mine go.

Unknown.jpeg

I have the Aesthetix Calypso and Rhea. I bought used and was initially disappointed with the tube rush. With help from Glenn at Aesthetix I was able to determine which tubes were problematic. He also referred me to Andy at Vintage Tube Services who helped with some tube selections that made a significant difference in the sound quality and noise floor reduction. I am now very happy with the results from the Aesthetix equipment. Andy also suggested using a SUT for very low output MC cartridges if the noise level was bothersome.

I am considering the upgrade to Signature for these units and would be interested to hear from others who have upgraded regarding their results.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum jperry! Thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Welcome to Audio Shark JPerry! I have always been impressed with Aesthetix components. My friend purchased the Aesthetix Pandora last year and in my opinion, it is one of the best sounding tube DACs on the market. I've also listened to the Aesthetix Janus/Atlas Monoblocks on Vandersteen 7's and was extremely impressed with the presentation. In my opinion, it compared very favorably to the Ayre KX-R/MX-R and ARC Ref5SE/Ref 250 on the Vandersteen 7's in the same room.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Welcome to AS jperry! About a year ago, I had an all Aesthetix system...calypso sig, rhea sig and atlas sig. Very happy with that setup then...excellent value and hard to beat at that price range.
    Carlo

Speakers: Sonus Faber Aida Analog: Clearaudio Master Innovation, Graham Phantom Elite (2), Koetsu Blue Lace Platinum and Coralstone Platinum, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Zyx Universe II Premium Digital: Eera Tentation cdp Amp: Lamm M1.2 reference Pre-amp: Audio Research Ref 5se Phono Stage Audio Research Ref Phono 2se, Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe Cables​: Kubala Sosna Elation Power: Shunyata Triton V2 and Typhon(2) Racks: Critical Mass Systems

Quote Originally Posted by jperry View Post
    I have the Aesthetix Calypso and Rhea. I bought used and was initially disappointed with the tube rush. With help from Glenn at Aesthetix I was able to determine which tubes were problematic. He also referred me to Andy at Vintage Tube Services who helped with some tube selections that made a significant difference in the sound quality and noise floor reduction. I am now very happy with the results from the Aesthetix equipment. Andy also suggested using a SUT for very low output MC cartridges if the noise level was bothersome.

I am considering the upgrade to Signature for these units and would be interested to hear from others who have upgraded regarding their results.
    jperry.....the sig upgrades are worthwhile and a nice improvement, better front to back definition, wider sound stage, blacker background, etc.....if you go for the sig upgrade expect several hundred hours to settle in. Andy from VTS is wonderful to deal with, knows the Aesthetix gear well and what works, there is a reason Glenn pointed you to him!! Andy did my Calypso sig, Rhea sig, Altla mono blocks and now my Callisto w/dual power supplies and Io with dual power supplies.....72 tubes in all and absolutely no tube noise issues.
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

I owned both the Calypso & Rhea in Signature versions. Became so frustrated with tube noise and hash , despite multiple changes of tube sets from Aesthetix that I ultimately ended up selling them . Noise complaints about Aesthetic gear are legendary and all over the web. I think it is a complete copout at this price point to buy a product and then to be told by the manufacturer that they you need to go to a NOS tube supplier to sort out issues. IMO, these are serious design flaws to do with Jim White's insistence on using multiple tube gain stages , especially when these are applied to a very delicate , low voltage signal coming out of your cartridge. And if you're using high sensitivity speakers or sit in a near field configuration, the noise is unacceptable. Audiophiles have come to understand that reducing background or low level noise , is key to a successful sonic outcome. The blacker the background, the better the outcome. How anyone can square that away with Aesthetix's tolerance for tube rush is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobolaclune View Post
    I owned both the Calypso & Rhea in Signature versions. Became so frustrated with tube noise and hash , despite multiple changes of tube sets from Aesthetix that I ultimately ended up selling them . Noise complaints about Aesthetic gear are legendary and all over the web. I think it is a complete copout at this price point to buy a product and then to be told by the manufacturer that they you need to go to a NOS tube supplier to sort out issues. IMO, these are serious design flaws to do with Jim White's insistence on using multiple tube gain stages , especially when these are applied to a very delicate , low voltage signal coming out of your cartridge. And if you're using high sensitivity speakers or sit in a near field configuration, the noise is unacceptable. Audiophiles have come to understand that reducing background or low level noise , is key to a successful sonic outcome. The blacker the background, the better the outcome. How anyone can square that away with Aesthetix's tolerance for tube rush is beyond me.
    Sorry about your experience.....its not legendary, its the same handful of people going on and on about the tube issues they encountered. I know many who own their gear including myself and no issues like you experienced. Again sorry it didn't work out for you, enjoy your day!
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

My dealer had a full stack of jupiter series Aesthetix driving Vandy 5 carbons, the front end included a lyra with a .5mv output. it was one the finest sounding systems i've heard in recent memory, one i could live with forever (if it weren't for the "Jax disease"). The one reservation I had, the same one my listening buddy noted was the excessive tube rush through the phono stage

I always thought the Atlas amplifiers were the forgotten product in the line. Every speaker ever heard driven by them sounded great. Especially Vandersteens.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Goldmund Telos 1000 Nextgen mono amplifiers, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi Audio EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostages, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Quote Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
    Sorry about your experience.....its not legendary, its the same handful of people going on and on about the tube issues they encountered. I know many who own their gear including myself and no issues like you experienced. Again sorry it didn't work out for you, enjoy your day!
    Thanks Jeff , I guess in this game you win some ...you lose some. Tolerance for noise varies and in my case , high sensitivity speakers and a near field listening position didn't help. Actually, I really liked their Atlas amps in comparison .

I service Aesthetix here in Canada and run across the "tube rush" issue occasionally. What I find is people trying to use very suspect "NOS" tubes in these preamps. The tubes are the only noise source, so if your preamp is noisy it's the tubes and it's time to find something else. What I also find is stubborn audiophiles who would rather find another preamp than give up on the poor quality tubes that they want to use just because the internet babble says they should be good.
    The point is, Aesthetix gear is excellent quality, great sound, but you just can't through any tube in there and expect them to work well.
    In fact a good 90% of problems (whether noise or otherwise) are caused by people using junk tubes.
    Dan Santoni

Authorized service for (in no particular order) - Copland, Cary, Unison Research, Allnic, Modwright, Ayon, Hegel, Belles, Aesthetix, Coincident, Zesto and a whole bunch more

Custom Manufacturer of Blackdog HiFi.

www.dtsaudioelectronics.com
    www.blackdoghifi.com

Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    I service Aesthetix here in Canada and run across the "tube rush" issue occasionally. What I find is people trying to use very suspect "NOS" tubes in these preamps. The tubes are the only noise source, so if your preamp is noisy it's the tubes and it's time to find something else. What I also find is stubborn audiophiles who would rather find another preamp than give up on the poor quality tubes that they want to use just because the internet babble says they should be good.
    The point is, Aesthetix gear is excellent quality, great sound, but you just can't through any tube in there and expect them to work well.
    In fact a good 90% of problems (whether noise or otherwise) are caused by people using junk tubes.
    Thanks Dan for the input. In my case (I cannot speak for others) , I went through three sets of "matched" tubes sent out by Aesthetix for both my Calypso & Rhea Signature versions . I did not contact Vintage Tube Services or any other seller of supposedly low microphony NOS tubes. Four other people in my audiophile Group had bought Aesthetix (Non-Sig versions) in the past and all complained about tube noise. I suspect you're seeing Aesthetic gear in for repair that is past their warranty period . I had issues right from the get-go. Whilst Aesthetix were responsive to my concerns , their attitude at the end of the day was " You love tubes and multiple tubed gain stages in your gear? Then noise is a necessary evil , just get over it"

Quote Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
    jperry.....the sig upgrades are worthwhile and a nice improvement, better front to back definition, wider sound stage, blacker background, etc....
    +1
    didn't encounter tube rush luckily
    Carlo

Speakers: Sonus Faber Aida Analog: Clearaudio Master Innovation, Graham Phantom Elite (2), Koetsu Blue Lace Platinum and Coralstone Platinum, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Zyx Universe II Premium Digital: Eera Tentation cdp Amp: Lamm M1.2 reference Pre-amp: Audio Research Ref 5se Phono Stage Audio Research Ref Phono 2se, Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe Cables​: Kubala Sosna Elation Power: Shunyata Triton V2 and Typhon(2) Racks: Critical Mass Systems

Thanks for the information Carlos (ctop) and A/V Solutions. I may try the upgrade and if so will report my results. Both of my cartridges are .5 mv so I did not have to use the 62 or 70 gain selections on the Rhea which may have helped along with the tubes from Vintage Tube Seervices.
    Jim Perry

Garrard 301 TT in Woodsong Plinth
    Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Benz Micro LP-S mr Cartridge
    Aesthetix Rhea Signature Tube phono preamp
    Aesthetix Calypso Tube preamp
    Aesthetix Atlas Amplifier
    Proac Response D-40r Speaker
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

mauidan

Quote Originally Posted by ctop View Post
    +1
    didn't encounter tube rush luckily
    +1

No tube rush with my Pandora Signature DAC.

I went through three sets of "matched" tubes sent out by Aesthetix for both my Calypso & Rhea Signature versions
    I am surprised you couldn't get your Calypso quiet with factory supplied tubes. Typically the Rhea is the problem and usually only on the top two gain settings. It is very difficult to get to 70dB of absolutely quiet gain out of tubes. I will admit it is a compromise, and unfortunately one that can be difficult to live with for some.
    Dan Santoni

Authorized service for (in no particular order) - Copland, Cary, Unison Research, Allnic, Modwright, Ayon, Hegel, Belles, Aesthetix, Coincident, Zesto and a whole bunch more

www.blackdoghifi.com

Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    I am surprised you couldn't get your Calypso quiet with factory supplied tubes. Typically the Rhea is the problem and usually only on the top two gain settings. It is very difficult to get to 70dB of absolutely quiet gain out of tubes. I will admit it is a compromise, and unfortunately one that can be difficult to live with for some.
    Well Dan, all I can tell you is that I am an experienced audiophile and notwithstanding the willingness of people to believe that Aesthetix horror stories of tube rush are made up by a small group of fanatic conspirators ; a glance at the comments in this post will highlight that there are common tube noise issues & that the solution for many people is to seek out low-microphony NOS tubes at additional expense .

The issue of background noise levels and the sonic degradation that can cause has become more important in audio in recent years - note all the reviews talking about "black backgrounds" and "sound emerging from silent backgrounds" . I too subscribe to the view that it doesn't matter how rich the soundstage and detail emanating from a system is .... if the backdrop is noisy , it's not worth it.

Therein may lie the answer to the question posted : "Has Aesthetix become a forgotten brand?" . They have ...because their tolerance for noise and rush issues exceeds that of many audiophiles.

Audioshark

Great post Shodhan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't argue with anything you're saying Bob, and given your system I can certainly understand where you're coming from. You have a very high resolution system,and any noise in that is not going to be acceptable.
    Does Aesthetix gear have noise problems, absolutely, can they be minimized usually. Is it for everybody, absolutely not. But I do have customers that are very happy with their Rheas, Calypsos and Janus's.
    I don't think Aesthetix is a forgotten brand, but it has taken them a while to address the noise problems. Jim White is working on the issue. The low current upgrade for the Rhea does reduce noise quite a bit. But I think they still have a ways to go.
    Dan Santoni

www.blackdoghifi.com

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

How much do cables play into the tube rush problem ?
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Well Dan, all I can tell you is that I am an experienced audiophile and notwithstanding the willingness of people to believe that Aesthetix horror stories of tube rush are made up by a small group of fanatic conspirators ; a glance at the comments in this post will highlight that there are common tube noise issues & that the solution for many people is to seek out low-microphony NOS tubes at additional expense .

The issue of background noise levels and the sonic degradation that can cause has become more important in audio in recent years - note all the reviews talking about "black backgrounds" and "sound emerging from silent backgrounds" . I too subscribe to the view that it doesn't matter how rich the soundstage and detail emanating from a system is .... if the backdrop is noisy , it's not worth it.

Therein may lie the answer to the question posted : "Has Aesthetix become a forgotten brand?" . They have ...because their tolerance for noise and rush issues exceeds that of many audiophiles.
    I can attest that I auditioned for over a year many different phono stages to find one that suited my taste and which had which is low noise (along with a low output MC cartridge). I cannot stand listening to anything with tube noise at any level. I had read that Aesthetix had tube rush, but really looked at the sources of the information online as well as listened with my own discerning ears. In the end (2 months ago), I voted with my wallet and purchased the IO Eclipse (dual power supplies). It is dead quiet (using ATT 4 `62db gain) at any volume level. I urge anyone to looking at Aesthetix gear to audition it and decide for yourself. I went into this looking for issues due to web based feedback and was surprised by how incorrect some of the feedback I read was.

B

Quote Originally Posted by briweed View Post
    I can attest that I auditioned for over a year many different phono stages to find one that suited my taste and which had which is low noise (along with a low output MC cartridge). I cannot stand listening to anything with tube noise at any level. I had read that Aesthetix had tube rush, but really looked at the sources of the information online as well as listened with my own discerning ears. In the end (2 months ago), I voted with my wallet and purchased the IO Eclipse (dual power supplies). It is dead quiet (using ATT 4 `62db gain) at any volume level. I urge anyone to looking at Aesthetix gear to audition it and decide for yourself. I went into this looking for issues due to web based feedback and was surprised by how incorrect some of the feedback I read was.

B
    Same for me, I've had my IO Signature dual power supply for 7 years and had no noise issues other than bad tubes. Will hear a faint hiss when I'm 6 inch away from the speaker, that's it. Recently retubed after about 7,000 hours.

Would I buy it again, hell yes
    Dan

So just to get this straight Gentlemen, you went for a $23,000 phono stage and are happy to report that tube noise is low ? Congratulations .

Although I think for the sake of rest of us mere mortals , the thrust of this Post is around the Saturn series components . Let's just hope that the Eclipse series is not how far up the Aesthetix ladder you have to go to get a quiet unit from Jim White.And as far as web-based Feedback was concerned, in my case with the Calypso & Rhea Signatures...I wish I had listened to the chatter , it was spot on. As always YMMV...........

So just to get this straight Gentlemen, you went for a $23,000 phono stage and are happy to report that tube noise is low ? Congratulations .
    First Briweed has an Eclipse at "$23,000" and he did say it was "dead quiet". I was the one mentioning a faint hiss at 6 inch but don't have the $23,000 Eclipse, then again I'm happy with what I have so all is good. I guess if you consider nearfield 6 inch then yes you will hear tube rush, otherwise can't hear it. And it should be mentioned that there are other virtues to a phono pre other than how noisy it is.

Only thing I guess we will agree on is YMMV

Over and out!
    Dan

To answer the OP, no, I don't think Aesthetix is a forgotten brand.

Regarding the tube rush issue: I don't hear any with my Calypso Signature running 94db efficient loudspeakers with either the stock factory supplied tubes or NOS choices.

I'm currently running a matched pair of NOS Sylvania Triple Mica Black Plate 5751 in lieu of the stock 12ax7 Tung Sol reissues. Also running Sylvania 6dj8 National Cash Register instead of the EH 6922 supplied from Aesthetix. Later this week I might roll in a pair of NOS Tung Sol 12ax7 to compare against the Sylvania 5751.

The 5751's were purchased from a fellow I trust with quality tubes and the remainder of the NOS choices I have here came from Andy Bowman at VTS.

Perhaps the folks with tube rush issues either had/have an older Saturn series model without the gain-jumper adjustment or maybe they never played with that option if they did?
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    How much do cables play into the tube rush problem ?
    Mark,

Not sure how they would?
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    To answer the OP, no, I don't think Aesthetix is a forgotten brand.

Regarding the tube rush issue: I don't hear any with my Calypso Signature running 94db efficient loudspeakers with either the stock factory supplied tubes or NOS choices.

I'm currently running a matched pair of NOS Sylvania Triple Mica Black Plate 5751 in lieu of the stock 12ax7 Tung Sol reissues. Also running Sylvania 6dj8 National Cash Register instead of the EH 6922 supplied from Aesthetix. Later this week I might roll in a pair of NOS Tung Sol 12ax7 to compare against the Sylvania 5751.

The 5751's were purchased from a fellow I trust with quality tubes and the remainder of the NOS choices I have here came from Andy Bowman at VTS.

Perhaps the folks with tube rush issues either had/have an older Saturn series model without the gain-jumper adjustment or maybe they never played with that option if they did?
    Everybody's experiences vary and this series of posts is proof positive of that. However.... what is also clear is the extent to which people are having to go to accommodate their Aesthetix units . The Saturn series has been in production a long time . It is somewhat disconcerting to hear about mods and adjustments that are still having to be made by the factory to accommodate or ameliorate a known issue. The Calypso is moderately manageable but the Rhea much less so. Multiple tubed gain stages to boost what is already a delicate low voltage signal , have over-whelmed many audiophiles. In the interests of so-called system synergy, I tried using Signature versions of the Calypso and Rhea together . The result was horrible despite multiple tube sets from Aesthetix. At these price points , no-one should have to go to the NOS/outside tube supplier to try and get the issue under control. My units were 2012 production.

Everybody's experiences vary and this series of posts is proof positive of that. However.... what is also clear is the extent to which people are having to go to accommodate their Aesthetix units . The Saturn series has been in production a long time . It is somewhat disconcerting to hear about mods and adjustments that are still having to be made by the factory to accommodate or ameliorate a known issue. The Calypso is moderately manageable but the Rhea much less so. Multiple tubed gain stages to boost what is already a delicate low voltage signal , have over-whelmed many audiophiles. In the interests of so-called system synergy, I tried using Signature versions of the Calypso and Rhea together . The result was horrible despite multiple tube sets from Aesthetix. At these price points , no-one should have to go to the NOS/outside tube supplier to try and get the issue under control. My units were 2012 production.
    Question....if the amps had such ill-performance issues while in your possession did you ever send them back for factory inspection/examination to determine if there were underlying issues other than tube selection before booting them? Did you purchase them new?
    Avanti Audio

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Question....if the amps had such ill-performance issues while in your possession did you ever send them back for factory inspection/examination to determine if there were underlying issues other than tube selection before booting them? Did you purchase them new?
    Mike, the units (Calypso & Rhea - both Sig versions) went back to Aesthetix ...which promptly pronounced them to be in fine working condition. Two additional "carefully noise matched" sets of tubes were also sent by them. All to no avail. And yes - they were purchased new from an Authorized dealer. Yes, I am very familiar with noise levels & tube rush out of tubed phono stages - I own the Manley Steelhead , Thoeress Phono Enhancer and an Abingdon Music Research PH77 , as well as an excellent tubed stage in my VAC Phi Beta integrated and the VAC Sig2a preamp. Bottom line - 10 tubes & three gain stages inside a phono preamp is too many, owners should not have to pony out this kind of cash and then some more to find NOS tubes from outside vendors. There is a design fault inside the Rhea , nothing will convince me otherwise since I have heard too many others complain about the exact same thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team