Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Equipment Reviews - EMM Labs DAC2X Digital-to-Analog Converter

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Nice review. Wish I saw this before I purchased my K03 over there...

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Nice review. Wish I saw this before I purchased my K03 over there...
    Allen...are you not happy with your K-03?
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Allen...are you not happy with your K-03?
    Good point, Cyril. I am. Thanks for the reality check!

Allen

But that's the problems with these reviews! No matter how happy you are, they make you want something else. Like sitting in a restaurant and wanting what the other guy ordered!

Allen

Super Moderator
    But that's the problems with these reviews! No matter how happy you are, they make you want something else. Like sitting in a restaurant and wanting what the other guy ordered!
    Boy, do I know that feeling
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Boy, do I know that feeling

Me too...My friend's wife always look better than mine.<----Mike ~ Thank you for more smileys
    Paul

Audioshark
    I love my DAC2X.

My DAC search stopped when I found this (thanks to Joe).
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I love my DAC2X.

Grrr.

Heard the Emm Labs w Violas driving the Tad Ref 1s at the NY Audio Show. Loved the music they were making.

Allen

Super Moderator
    I love my DAC2X.

Me too. I love my DAC2X.

Grrr.

Heard the Emm Labs w Violas driving the Tad Ref 1s at the NY Audio Show. Loved the music they were making.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Grrr.

Allen. Sell me a K-03 and move up to Emm ~!
    Paul

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    Allen. Sell me a K-03 and move up to Emm ~!
    Paul,

Tell Allen to buy my TADs And I'll hook him up with a DAC2X

NAD C 658 streamer.

Paul,

Tell Allen to buy my TADs And I'll hook him up with a DAC2X
    Allen...Where are you hiding ???

Paul

Throw in the Dag then let's talk!

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    Allen...Where are you hiding ???

Allen

Super Moderator
    Throw in the Dag then let's talk!
    Hmmmmmmm.

We could talk

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'll email you after the audition if I go.

Love the new smilies, Mike!

Allen

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Canadians are pretty good at designing good DACs; EMM Labs, ESS Sabre, ...
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Audioshark
    And build other fabulous gear - Classe, Bryston, SimAudio, Paradigm, PSB, etc. the one thing about most Canadian gear is that it screams value. That Classe CP800 and CA-M600's are truly exit amps/preamp for many.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Classe is not French? ...Well, that too; some French Canadians work there.

Hey, even Mirage is a Canadian company. ...And Image too. ...And so is PSB Image Series of loudspeakers.

Italians are good too in speaking of speaker's designs.
    Last edited by NorthStar; April 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Audioshark
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Classe is not French? ...Well, that too; some French Canadians work there.

Hey, even Mirage is a Canadian company. ...And Image too. ...And so is PSB Image Series of loudspeakers.

Italians are good too in speaking of speaker's designs.
    I love my Classe gear. It screams value and sounds great. The one thing I've found though, is that their amp/preamp need to be paired together to achieve a whole new level of sonic synergy. That can be said for a lot of brands I know, but I found it particularly true for Classe. The CP800 by itself was just "ok". The 2300 by itself was just "ok". Together they are outstanding.

P.S. Is Mirage still in business?

Mirage, no, not the name, but the people behind (Energy) yes.

* Some Mirage speakers (Omnipolar) are sold by NewEgg (USA), but they are made in China now, I believe.

I enjoyed that review of the EMM Labs DAC2X.
    And that was also cool the short comparison at the end with the Esoteric K-03 player.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Re: Equipment Reviews - EMM Labs DAC2X Digital-to-Analog Converter

Can you EMM Dac2X owners tell us how long term ownership is with this piece. I am still on my quest for a new CDP / DAC and have yet to make up my mind.

howie

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Howiebrou View Post
    Can you EMM Dac2X owners tell us how long term ownership is with this piece. I am still on my quest for a new CDP / DAC and have yet to make up my mind.

howie
    Hi Howie,

I've had my DAC2X since August '12 and added the TSDX at the end of November '12. So for me that's a long time to keep something. I really like how it sounds and have no plans on selling it. I might add another dac at some point but for the investment, it's great.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I got mine in December 2012 and love it. I'm always open to new advances, but my gut says that it might be a while before anything is appreciably better.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Hi Howie,

I've had my DAC2X since August '12 and added the TSDX at the end of November '12. So for me that's a long time to keep something. I really like how it sounds and have no plans on selling it. I might add another dac at some point but for the investment, it's great.
    Wow Joe, are you alright?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Wow Joe, are you alright?
    Hi Kev,

My flu is over and I feel much better now.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Howie,

I've had my DAC2X since August '12 and added the TSDX at the end of November '12. So for me that's a long time to keep something

Didnt I see you have/had one for sale up on the Gon recently? Change in the air already? Details please.

I love my DAC2X.

Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon
    Office System: B&W N802D2, NAD M10
    Living Room System: B&W N804D, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10
    Bedroom: Dynaudio Focus 160, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10

Super Moderator

I think Mike's main goal is vinyl. He's getting into a new TT and cart and I think he's hooked big time.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by radioactive View Post
    Didnt I see you have/had one for sale up on the Gon recently? Change in the air already? Details please.
    Yes, Joe is correct. I'm investing heavily into vinyl. Nothing at all wrong with the DAC2X. It's one of the best DAC's on the market.

Good luck with the sale Mike. What will you use to run your CAPS server through? Or are you not worrying about that right now and enjoying the other (vinyl) side?
    Doug

Is the firmware upgrade available yet? I want to hear the sonic improvement before I sell. 8k. I agree. It is a wonderful dac.

I heard from my dealer that it is finished now. It is for the Meitner though. I still await to get it. Hope for some nice SQ upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Buch73 View Post
    I heard from my dealer that it is finished now. It is for the Meitner though. I still await to get it. Hope for some nice SQ upgrades

I've not been able to get any further update, but as of a couple weeks ago the firmware updates for both MA-1 and DAC2X would be released "any day now".
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Quote Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
    I've not been able to get any further update, but as of a couple weeks ago the firmware updates for both MA-1 and DAC2X would be released "any day now".
    Pm me. I can provide the link.

It may do dsd 128. Will test tomorrow. Excellent sonic upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by kevalin View Post
    Pm me. I can provide the link.

It may do dsd 128. Will test tomorrow. Excellent sonic upgrade.
    Thanks! I got the links yesterday and managed to get the MA-1 updated this morning. all good so far...having a listen now. I wasn't expecting DSD 128, did this get added?
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Thanks! I got the links yesterday and managed to get the MA-1 updated this morning. all good so far...having a listen now. I wasn't expecting DSD 128, did this get added?
    From what I've heard this update does not include DSD128 support, which is still expected in a later release.

This is correct. 24/384 and 128dsd is later this year. Also free upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by kevalin View Post
    This is correct. 24/384 and 128dsd is later this year. Also free upgrade.
    Thanks! Great news!

. It's (the EMM LABS DAC 2X ) one of the best DAC's on the market.
    this was from a couple years ago..... would like folks opinion - is this still true, or has time passed them by?

No DSD128 and above right?

No DSD128 and above right?
    From their website: "The DAC2X also supports true DSD streaming over USB." looks like this is the extent of it and I'm told more is coming
    (DSD2x; DSD4X ) but no confirmation yet or as to when and apparently volume control...

Can you please share the applications of all these devices?
    Also from where i can get their specifications details?
    What are their full hardware details?

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum PerrenApte, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by PerrenApte View Post
    Can you please share the applications of all these devices?
    Also from where i can get their specifications details?
    What are their full hardware details?
    Welcome to AudioShark! Their website has details on the EMM Labs DAC2X.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Welcome to AudioShark! Their website has details on the EMM Labs DAC2X.
    Hardware details on the design are available at the EMM website, basically a concept of three FPGAs instead of a standard DAC chip. Wicked good stuff.

Does anyone have details yet on the DAC2X replacement to be announced at CES?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I bought a 2nd hand Emm Labs DAC2X, the serial number is 5409. I am wondering it is a fraud, as I can not upgrade the software. I called Emm Labs couple days ago and I was told it is a DAC2. Somebody might punched the "X" on the name plate.

Anybody can tell me it is a DAC2 or DAC2X by the serial number? so I can take my money back from that guy.

I also want to buy a fibreglass cable for SACD. Can anybody please tell me where I can buy it and the price

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Jake, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I bought a 2nd hand Emm Labs DAC2X, the serial number is 5409. I am wondering it is a fraud, as I can not upgrade the software. I called Emm Labs couple days ago and I was told it is a DAC2. Somebody might punched the "X" on the name plate.

Anybody can tell me it is a DAC2 or DAC2X by the serial number? so I can take my money back from that guy.

I also want to buy a fibreglass cable for SACD. Can anybody please tell me where I can buy it and the price
    Hi Jake, welcome to AudioShark! Since you've already checked the serial number with EMM Labs directly and they confirmed that it's actually a DAC2 (not DAC2X) I would take that as a definitive response. If it was represented as being a DAC2X then EMM Labs' response should be all you need to pursue the seller to refund your money and hopefully they'll agree to do so. If not depending upon how you paid it sounds like you'd have a valid claim for a refund from PayPal. As far as the glass cable for SACD according to the EMM Labs website it's the EMM Optilink which is a proprietary cable and would be sourced from them or one of their authorized dealers. Good luck and let us know how this turns out but I certainly hope you're able to get a full refund on your purchase including shipping cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Equipment Reviews - EMM Labs DAC2X Digital-to-Analog Converter