Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

DIY Record Cleaner - Part 1 steps to build

I think its a given that the best possible solution for cleaning records is the wet clean, vacuum type. Machines such as the VPI, etc. which range from approx. $400 to the $1000's. I like my vinyl clean. It reduces noise and wear. I also like convienance. My first was a spin clean but that required cleaning a bunch at once and putting away. Plus, no vacuum so in many ways I felt gunk was just driven into the grooves.

So seeing many threads, I built my own. Special note. You can build smaller. Mine is a little oversized. Generally, size is dictated by the size of the small shop vac you use and drive motor's ability to fit in a space. If I rebuilt, I could do it in half the size with a smaller vacuum I have. With that said...

Parts needed
    • Wood for a cabinet (I used MDF) or a small put together end table that you would get from say target or wall mart like this - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-End.../21094262?_mm=
    • A Platter from an old TT
    • An AC powered motor from an ice cream machine or barbecue rotisseree (more on this)
    • A shop vac (small) AC powered - not the little DC ones for cars, not enough suction
    • An onn/off switch or toggle
    • Some threaded bolts for a shaft along with some washers
    • A wing nut and rubber washers
    • A VPI Wand kit (biggest expense - about $70) - http://www.elusivedisc.com/VPI-HW-16...tinfo/HW-3015/
    • A Tube of JB Weld

Okay, the Basics.

You want to measure out first a top that will hold a platter and the arm wand. That is not so tough.

Then measure a box that will hold the vacuum and motor underneath. This is an important step because you have to measure a height GREATER than the Vacuum that includes the motor. Why? Because unless you make the box wide (like mine) motor underneath and the vacuum cannot occupay the same space. So if the vacuum is 12" and motor is 4", give your self at least a 20" box or it will get REAL TIGHT. Something like this:

rcm diagram.jpg

So you now have it mapped out, where the platter will go, how it will all fit (don't do the VPI wand hole yet, that comes later.

Dont let this part scare you - its the toughest but just think it through.
    The toughest part of this whole thing is the spindle to motor. Most motors like this have a square hole for a shaft. Many bolts have a square head, some a hex. The idea is to get a bolt that will fit in the motor, up through the wood and fit through the platter (7mm bolt). You will be mounting the motor to the underside of the top board so that it spins freely but is TIGHT and STRAIGHT in the hole. Any angle on the shaft will create a wobble in the platter. so you want to keep that UNDERSIDE distance as short as possible.

Now this is where your own head needs to come in because the object is to mount in the motor, have washers on both sides of the board and CONNECT that bolt to the platter so that when the shaft turns, the platter turns. If its not connected it will just turn in place and not turn the platter. So how do you do this...? See diagram
    Motor shaft.jpg
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Instructions Part II

Okay, the toughest part is past you.

Build your box as described in the first part and make it so the top board will fit flush. You will want to make the inside accessible so I suggest HINGING tthe top instead of screwing it on.

Put your vacuum inside, check your clearances. Your wires for the motor and vacuum will all connect inside so just leave them for now.

From the top, figure where your VPI wand hole will go so that you can pivot it away but when you pivot it in, it is held in place (there is a stop on the base) when the record turns. So if your platter spins counter clockwise, your VPI wand will point toward you ( 6 o'clock) when its away and when you slide to the platter it is STOPPED horizontal across the LP (pointing to 9 oclock) like the picture below.

560237_468156753199792_1690558706_n.jpg

Attach your hose inside the box to the VPI base underneath (you may have to tape, adapt sizes, thats okay)

Wiring
    There are several ways to do this. It is really up to you. You can use two switches (one for the platter motor, one for the vacuum) or one switch that turns them both on. I recommend one and here is why.

Inside the box, you should have the Vacuum and the motor go to an multi prong strip. That is because the motor may be two prong and vacuum 3. I used a cheater plug and wired a leg to a switch ...then the one cord out of the box (see pics)....This part is entirely up to you but I suggest you make it easy access.

record clamp
    To hold the LP in place, I took a matching wing nut to the bolt and glued a flat washer and then a rubber washer on the wing nut. So I just spin it on, tighten down and it holds it in place.

I have a spray bottle of 1 part denatured alcohol to 6 parts water and 2 drops of dawn. Spray the lp, use a brush (VPI sells them) to get the stuff around and lift the dirt, move the arm wand over, power...CLEAN !!!

555273_469575649724569_1224868497_n.jpg

My finished Product

560177_469574706391330_419624715_n.jpg

165818_469574959724638_1142145123_n.jpg
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Super Moderator
    Rob,

Great job and thank you for sharing that. You really are handy. Awesome.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Rob,

Great job and thank you for sharing that. You really are handy. Awesome.
    Thank you...for some this would be daunting and much easier to spend the money on a machine...for others a fun project...

The real key..These things are Necessary no matter what type you have !

Rob
    You are a wealth of information. Thanks.
    Bob

Heroes don't wear capes, they wear dogtags.

Rob...thank you for the info. The project looks great.

Dave
    "I must admit I felt a little uneasy
    When she bent down to tie the laces of my shoe"
    -Bob Dylan Tangled Up In Blue

“The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats...”
    ― Albert Schweitzer

“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.” - Bob Dylan

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    ― Jimi Hendrix

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

DIY Record Cleaner - Part 1 steps to build