Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Mark Levinson v. McIntosh

I need a new 5.1 amp for my home theater. I'm going to get the best I can get. Does anyone have any thoughts as between the Mark Levinson amp and the McIntosh Amp?

Audioshark

Re: Mark Levinson v. McIntosh

I owned the Mc 207 (same specs as 205) and found it ran out of gas long before it's rated 200 watts. That being said, anything Mc has excellent resale.

The Levinson 535 I've only heard at a demo seemed more powerful.

I would look at Bryston too.

I ended up buying the Classe CA-5300. It has the most power and sounds terrific for home theater. BUT, it is long. Check the depth measurements to see if it would work for you.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

+1 for checking out Bryston for home theater. So much power and transparency for great prices. Best analog warranty in the business, too.

As an added bonus, Jeff (AV Solutions) is a Bryston dealer and can hook you up.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

My vote is for Mark Levinson, powerful doesn't run hot sounds awesome any of the 531-535 are great amps, I biwire a 532H for the center channel
    Have not heard a Bryston , but as said before Jeff at AV Solutions can fill you in

Kevin

I like the McIntosh sound more. I've never really liked Levinson. I used to own the No. 23 amp years and years ago, and I couldn't stand it. It left a bad taste in my mouth. That's probably why.

As far as Bryston goes, I own Bryston. It's a solid performer that's neck and neck with McIntosh. It's better than Levinson to me as well.

Dave:
    If I gave you all the details this would be a very long post. Please reconsider getting any Mark Levenson product. ML made it’s reputation when it was owned and operated by Madrigal. Since it was taken over by Harmon Kardon I have had nothing but trouble.
    Three amps were returned within a week of getting them when they failed. It tooks weeks and even months for them to be replaced.

It took 6 months to get my Proceed amp back.

They COULD NOT fix my ML 40 after several attempts. My total down time was nearly a year. When they “replaced the unit” with the current 502, the first three arrived DOA, the fourth took a few months to fail. There were months of time in between waiting. Of course their 5112 CD player failed three times.

They don’t have a dedicated repair facility for ML. As a result there aren’t people trained in fixing it. Their repair person said that they have a huge stacks of these units because they had to give out NEW units to replace the ones they did not have the parts or knowledge to fix.

Note that they have almost none of the dealers that they had a decade ago. Check out the dealers ask them. It seems that the only people who promote them have a financial interest of some sort with the company. Sadly that includes some reviewers. Slowly I switched over to Krell

Please don’t go through the two years of HELL I did.

Check out the Bryston, I like them and I must confess I am not familiar with recent Mac products.
    Barry
    Controller: Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo 105; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: RevelVoice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV Receiver: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc Player

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Ha, here's Barry; I was concerned, accident or some' else.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Audioshark

I would go for the Bryston (call Jeff). James is on the site and he's a terrific guy with a terrific company and a great product and warranty! Seems like the complete package to me.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I would go for the Bryston (call Jeff). James is on the site and he's a terrific guy with a terrific company and a great product and warranty! Seems like the complete package to me.
    It wouldn't be a bad choice at all. You could do worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Dave:
    If I gave you all the details this would be a very long post. Please reconsider getting any Mark Levenson product. ML made it’s reputation when it was owned and operated by Madrigal. Since it was taken over by Harmon Kardon I have had nothing but trouble.
    Three amps were returned within a week of getting them when they failed. It tooks weeks and even months for them to be replaced.

They COULD NOT fix my ML 40 after several attempts. My total down time was nearly a year. When they “replaced the unit” with the current 502, the first three arrived DOA, the fourth took a few months to fail. There were months of time in between waiting. Of course their 5112 CD player failed three times.

They don’t have a dedicated repair facility for ML. As a result there aren’t people trained in fixing it. Their repair person said that they have a huge stacks of these units because they had to give out NEW units to replace the ones they did not have the parts or knowledge to fix.

Note that they have almost none of the dealers that they had a decade ago. Check out the dealers ask them. It seems that the only people who promote them have a financial interest of some sort with the company. Sadly that includes some reviewers. Slowly I switched over to Krell

Check out the Bryston, I like them and I must confess I am not familiar with recent Mac products.

That's some pretty bad luck with Levinson.
    I would likely go with Bryston if I were doing a HT system. My Levinson 432 was outstanding while I owned it. Built like a tank with oodles of power, never the slightest bit hot and great SS features. Just that tubes were more my thing so it had to go. My 32 pre with phono same thing. excellent results.
    Bryston has stellar support and excellent build.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Dave:

This parallel's my experience with Levinson as well...if you require service it can be an incredibly long, frustrating and very expensive experience. For what it's worth my brother had McIntosh in his HT system and recently got rid of the Mac and went with the Classe 5 channel amp - we both agreed it was a major upgrade.

I take it the McIntosh HT amps aren't so hot, true?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I take it the McIntosh HT amps aren't so hot, true?
    Hot as in "run hot" or hot as in "no so good"? I just found mine ran out of steam LONG before it's rated 200 watts. I don't have that issue with my Classe and I suspect Bryston is similar or better.

As for temperature, my Mc amp never got hot.

Hot as in "run hot" or hot as in "no so good"? I just found mine ran out of steam LONG before it's rated 200 watts. I don't have that issue with my Classe and I suspect Bryston is similar or better.

I would second that and say that I have never witnessed or read about a Mc amp running hot (unless there is something wrong). The Bryston 4B I had ran just warm (not hot at all), even when pushed harder. I could always place my palm on the amp, no problem.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Just to explain my point: I had several Mark Levenson products with really no problems from 1985 until 2002. That included the ML 32, 30.5, 31.5 and several amps. I still have my proceed three channel amp.

Only AFTER they were bought by Harmon Kardon did my problems begin.
    Barry
    Controller: Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo 105; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: RevelVoice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV Receiver: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc Player

Hot as in not so good.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Mark Levinson v. McIntosh