Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Furutech Flux-50 Filter

Anyone had the opportunity to try on the Furutech Flux-50 Filter? Jeff, have you seen these yet?
    Dave

... Dave's not here ...

System: Mcintosh MC302 / Parasound P5 / Monitor Audio G60
    Computer: Mac Mini 2012, SSD, 16gig, 10.9.4 / External SSD via Thunderbolt / Uptone Audio Regen / Amarra 3.0.2
    Cables: iFi Gemini Duel Head USB Cable / Acoustic Zen: Krakatoa PC, Hologram II Speaker Cable,
    Matrix Reference II Interconnect / Unity Audio PC's
    Extras:
    Furutech: GTX-D (R) Receptacle, (2) Flow-28 Power Filter, e-TP60 Distributor

Re: Furutech Flux-50 Filter

Old thread but same question. Any new perspective on these???

This thread reminded me that I have one! I used to use it with a Shunyata PC that I own. When used, you can definitely hear the noise floor drop with the FF50 in the chain. A layer of grunge just gets eliminated. A worthwhile investment if using stock PCs, and works really well even with Shunyata's as well!

Jeff AV Solutions sells them I believe, and I think Sunil (recently joined) sells Furutech as well.

HTH.

Allen

I have a filter between each amp and power cords. Definitely worth the money spent, especially in lieu of plugging the amps into a power conditioner. Got mine from Jeff at AV Solutions.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

I use them on every component in the network. Swear by them. Couldn't go back without them.

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I use them on every component in the network. Swear by them. Couldn't go back without them.
    Do you use the Flux-50 Filters in place of a power conditioner or in conjunction with one?
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Do you use the Flux-50 Filters in place of a power conditioner or in conjunction with one?
    Pardon me here to butt in-- I use one into my PurePower 2000--Tried it on the Poweramp/Phono Stage/CD Player/etc--I found it gave the results with the PP

The only PITA with that way --is the standard F-50 IEC's input and out--you need to use those wobbly Shunyata adaptors that fit poorly and over priced in order to accommodate the 20 IEC's

Highly recommend the Fluxes--- the noise floor is rendered much much lower with them installed

I say money back trial would be the way--if you don't find any improvement--?-fire 'em back!

Bruce

Thanks Bruce! The reason I asked was because my Audience power conditioner made a tremendous improvement with my CD player and preamp but limited current and dynamics somewhat when I plugged my amps into it. I'm thinking a reasonable solution would be to bypass the power conditioner with my amps but add a Flux-50 for each of them. Others have told me the Flux-50 is not current limiting. Has anyone found the Flux-50 to limit current and dynamics to their amps?

Also, do you have to use Furutech power cords with the Flex-50's to maximize their performance? I really really like the sound of my AU-24SE power cords and would hate to change them.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Answers to questions based on my experiences.

• Flux-50 hang off every component including amplifiers. They are not current limiting.

• Each power connect utilizing a Flux-50 in my system connects to passive power distribution, either Shunyata Hydra Talos or Shunyata Hydra Cyclops.

• I use conventional power connects that do not having inbuilt networking or passive electronics which may conflict or compromise performance of either product. The cables I use include Siltech Ruby Mountain II, Furutech PowerFlux and custom lengths of Furutech 3TS20/TechFlex Flexo Conductive/Flux FI-50/52 combinations.
    • I have tried Flux-50 on Shunyata Acanocoda Zitron into the Shunyata Hydra Cyclops. The result was unfavourable in my system. I do not use any Shunyata cables as I have not had positive experiences with their Zitron cables for various reasons.
    • For those considering using the Flux-50 on Shunyata power connects, you may wish to consider their new shielded Sigma cables claiming to do something similar with the updated passive electronics built into the plug.
    • I have heard others having success using the Flux-50 on an active power conditioner/regenerator's input. I would think that adding additional Flux-50s to the components would yield further benefits.
    • I have found that Flux-50 benefits are cumulative as is typical within a power conditioned/distributed network topology.
    • Furutech will factory terminate with an FI-52 option, negating the need to use clunky IEC adaptors that may compromise performance. It is a special order so I am told.
    • Would I buy more as the need arises? Definitely, yes.
    • Should you use more than one in your system? I think so.

YMMV

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Answers to questions based on my experiences.

• Flux-50 hang off every component including amplifiers. They are not current limiting.

• Each power connect utilizing a Flux-50 in my system connects to passive power distribution, either Shunyata Hydra Talos or Shunyata Hydra Cyclops.

• I use conventional power connects that do not having inbuilt networking or passive electronics which may conflict or compromise performance of either product. The cables I use include Siltech Ruby Mountain II, Furutech PowerFlux and custom lengths of Furutech 3TS20/TechFlex Flexo Conductive/Flux FI-50/52 combinations.
    • I have tried Flux-50 on Shunyata Acanocoda Zitron into the Shunyata Hydra Cyclops. The result was unfavourable in my system. I do not use any Shunyata cables as I have not had positive experiences with their Zitron cables for various reasons.
    • For those considering using the Flux-50 on Shunyata power connects, you may wish to consider their new shielded Sigma cables claiming to do something similar with the updated passive electronics built into the plug.
    • I have heard others having success using the Flux-50 on an active power conditioner/regenerator's input. I would think that adding additional Flux-50s to the components would yield further benefits.
    • I have found that Flux-50 benefits are cumulative as is typical within a power conditioned/distributed network topology.
    • Furutech will factory terminate with an FI-52 option, negating the need to use clunky IEC adaptors that may compromise performance. It is a special order so I am told.
    • Would I buy more as the need arises? Definitely, yes.
    • Should you use more than one in your system? I think so.

YMMV
    Thanks Steve. Great post!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Alpinist, Great question.

Steve, Allen, Anthony and Bruce, Great responses and thanks very much for your help. That said, what I am really trying to assess (as is Alpinist I think) is how the Flux 50's perform with no other conditioner involved (be it passive or otherwise). Have you ever tried your Flux 50's without your Shunyata or Pure Power gear in the equation? The Talos and Cyclops are much more than just distributors as they both possess the technology of the Triton (but no surge protection in the Cyclops). Of course the Pure Power is an excellent regenerator.

I am contemplating using the Flux 50s exclusively with Furutech Powerflux PC's and GTX receptacles and foregoing a distributing conditioner of any kind. I have blocked noise coming into my system from the outside with my Torus and just want to isolate my components from each other and minimize any negative effects of a conditioner (i.e., minimize loss of instantaneous current and dynamics, high frequency roll off etc.).

If you have tried these scenarios can you contrast the performance of your system with the Flux 50's alone to the conditioner alone and then to the combination of both? Your thoughts on this approach would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

What is the damage on a Furu Flux-50 Filter?
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Around $1000.

Paul, I've only used FF-50 without a PLC, direct to dedicated 20amp lines (with Furutech GTX receptacles as you have). So Furutech GTX -> Shunyata Zitron PC -> FF-50 -> Component (amp, pre, CD player). The biggest difference was with the amp, then the pre, and less so with the CD player (K-03 back then).

HTH.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Around $1000.
    That is pretty heavy damage! If you need to do that in front of every piece of gear or amplifier as asindc suggests:

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    I have a filter between each amp and power cords. Definitely worth the money spent, especially in lieu of plugging the amps into a power conditioner. Got mine from Jeff at AV Solutions.
    I have received some amazing results by trying to tackle the problem before it exists. You might want to take a look at this thread as it might save you some money.
    http://audioshark.org/power-conditio...l#.VGcfn4f_uL8

As a conclusion I do believe in noise filtering, isolation, and the Furutech is without doubt doing a good job. But at the same time it is better to prevent a disease than to cure it.
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Quote Originally Posted by Glareskin View Post
    That is pretty heavy damage! If you need to do that in front of every piece of gear or amplifier as asindc suggests:

I have received some amazing results by trying to tackle the problem before it exists. You might want to take a look at this thread as it might save you some money.
    http://audioshark.org/power-conditio...l#.VGcfn4f_uL8

As a conclusion I do believe in noise filtering, isolation, and the Furutech is without doubt doing a good job. But at the same time it is better to prevent a disease than to cure it.

Glareskin, IMO you have addressed part but not all of the problem. I see three goals in a properly designed electrical foundation:

1) Block the system from the outside without limiting instantaneous current or current draw. (You did this one.)
    2) Star ground the system to avoid ground loops caused by electrical potential deltas at each component's ground without limiting either instantaneous current or current draw to each component. (I presume you took appropriate measures but your post did not have specifics in this regard.)
    3) Isolate each component from the significant other components in the system without limiting instantaneous current or current draw. (it does not appear your system addresses this concern.)

Depending on your incoming power, the third point can often be the most damaging. SMPS's, large amplifiers, digital gear all wreak havoc on fellow components.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Glareskin, IMO you have addressed part but not all of the problem. I see three goals in a properly designed electrical foundation:

1) Block the system from the outside without limiting instantaneous current or current draw. (You did this one.)
    2) Star ground the system to avoid ground loops caused by electrical potential deltas at each component's ground without limiting either instantaneous current or current draw to each component. (I presume you took appropriate measures but your post did not have specifics in this regard.)
    3) Isolate each component from the significant other components in the system without limiting instantaneous current or current draw. (it does not appear your system addresses this concern.)

Depending on your incoming power, the third point can often be the most damaging. SMPS's, large amplifiers, digital gear all wreak havoc on fellow components.
    Thanks Paul for your reaction.
    1) correct, that is done
    2) I am not sure if it qualifies for star grounding. I have an extra and dedicated (thick) ground line to the central grounding point where all the ground wires connect. The two power amps share a line and the pre-amp and streamer share a line.
    3) Doesn't having a dedicated group (fuse) in the switch box do that? If not I do have room for improvement...
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Well executed star grounding ensures each component will see the same electrical potential at each ground. This is important because tray voltages in any particular component will leave the overall system through the most attractive grounding route in the system. The problem with audio is we provide intra-system (inter-component) grounding paths through our component interconnects. If a ground at one particular outlet has a higher positive charge (is more attractive) than the others this will cause the voltage to run through the ground on your interconnects from one component to another and exit through the more attractive route. This is called a ground loop which can cause a hum in your system.

Star grounding is the best way to avoid this which involves: 1) a single isolated ground for your entire system; 2) making sure each run to the receptacles is identical (i.e., same type wire, gauge, and most critically the same length); 3) avoiding runs coming close to any magnetic fields or circuits along the way that can cause inductance or parasitic capacitance in the neutral of that line that would vary from the other runs.

The bottom line is if you have no hum, you have no problem; that is why, based on your description, I presumed you are close enough in your execution that your stray voltages are exiting through their respective grounds as opposed to across interconnects causing a ground loop. The good news is you did this while still using multiple outlets which will not limit your current draw. Many accomplish star grounding by using just a single outlet for the entire system. A major compromise IMO. That you didn't is a huge step; great job.

That all said, you might find a bit of improvement by isolating components from each other's noise. If you look at doing this just be extremely carful not to limit instantaneous current (ergo my interest in the Flux50 for this function only as opposed to a more intrusive conditioner).

Thanks for the great explanation. Well basically I don't have a hum so probably I am fine. Did you measure the value of your ground cable? Did you install an extra ground pin?

And for the isolation filter did you make a comparison to the alternatives from HMS Energia and Audioplan? Also what about the other Furutech products like Flow-28 and Flow-15?

Anyhow it is amazing what the result of power improvement is. I will definitely extend here.
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

Quote Originally Posted by Glareskin View Post
    Thanks for the great explanation. Well basically I don't have a hum so probably I am fine. I agree. Did you measure the value of your ground cable? No I am building out my system now and don't plan to measure just follow rules stated. Did you install an extra ground pin? It is critical, yes I plan to.

And for the isolation filter did you make a comparison to the alternatives from HMS Energia and Audioplan? No but I will look at them. Thanks for the lead. Also what about the other Furutech products like Flow-28 and Flow-15? I would think they are also excellent, just with a little less capability.

Anyhow it is amazing what the result of power improvement is. I will definitely extend here.

Good luck.

I have just bought 2 month ago a Furutech Flux 50 NCF and connected it between power cord (DIY) and the Jeff Rowland CORUS.
    It's amazing : I don't believe it ...I say ...ouah ...it's just in my head...not real...So I call two friends..and says : I do something special but I say you that after the demonstration...So the first said : I believe it's not the same CD !!! and the second said : more accuracy, 3D sound...
    So it's not only in my head..
    It's a great product.
    Now I have passed an order for a second Furutech Flux 50 NCF...and so I can test it on my different sources
    Marantz SA7S1/GRIMM AUDIO CC1/MARK LEVINSON 360S+TECHNICS SL1210 MKII/ORTOFON X1-MC/VPI CLASSIC 3 in rosewood/Audio-Technica ART-9/ESOTERIC E03+TAG MC LAREN T32R+JEFF ROWLAND CORUS+JEFF ROWLAND MODEL 625+Magnepan 3.7i+Cables line: all Furutech lineflux+power cord DIY

If you try it, you will buy it...
    I have two at home now....
    It's unbelievable!
    Marantz SA7S1/GRIMM AUDIO CC1/MARK LEVINSON 360S+TECHNICS SL1210 MKII/ORTOFON X1-MC/VPI CLASSIC 3 in rosewood/Audio-Technica ART-9/ESOTERIC E03+TAG MC LAREN T32R+JEFF ROWLAND CORUS+JEFF ROWLAND MODEL 625+Magnepan 3.7i+Cables line: all Furutech lineflux+power cord DIY

Oddly, I just received mine yesterday. An excellent product as all Furutech products...
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
    Oddly, I just received mine yesterday. An excellent product as all Furutech products...
    You're welcome...

Envoyé de mon HTC 10 en utilisant Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong View Post
    You're welcome...

Now I have 3 Furutech Flux 50 ncf and I wait the last...

HongKong - the NCF Flux 50 is a nice piece, I’m glad you are liking these!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    HongKong - the NCF Flux 50 is a nice piece, I’m glad you are liking these!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes And I have 4 now...

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Furutech Flux-50 Filter