Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Focus 160s

Focus 160s

The Dyn forum seems to be a little bare...thought I could post my thoughts here about the Focus 160s.

Upon opening up both the speakers and the Stand6's, I noticed the quality of packing and then units themselves to both be of high quality - the stands are both sturdy and substantial.

The piano black finish on the 160's is quite nice. Assembling the stands is easy and the quality control is pretty high. Holes match up as they should and all of the nuts and bolts form a tight fit with no play.

I snapped some pics as I opened everything up...I'll post them later tonight.

So far, I am enjoying what the Focus 160's have been able to give me. Break in will be long but it will be enjoyable. I have checked out about 4-5 cds which I am pretty familiar with and the sound is musical. It will be exciting to hear what the 'final product' will sound like.

See Supernait 2 thread for more info: http://audioshark.org/integrated-sys...l#.Uin1UaxiClA
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Super Moderator

Re: Focus 160s

Congratulations Sean. Here's to smooth sailing.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Congrats again!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Just play some house music for a day or two, that will loosen up those drivers!
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Just play some house music for a day or two, that will loosen up those drivers!
    You know it, Doug! I got to listen last night and kept everything powered up overnight. Christine is home today and I showed her how to run everything so they should be getting a little run-in while I'm here at work, too!
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Sweet Sean! I can't wait to hear how things sound after a few hundred hours. Especially your impressions of the Supernait2.

Did you say which cables you're using? (I'm too lazy to go back and check!)
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Sweet Sean! I can't wait to hear how things sound after a few hundred hours. Especially your impressions of the Supernait2.

Did you say which cables you're using? (I'm too lazy to go back and check!)
    I am very excited, too!

I suppose when I talk about the sound from the Dyn's, you can easily give a lot of credit to the SN2, as well. Since both were brought in at the same time, I won't likely be able to separate what each brings to the table, individually, without speculation. The sound (from both the SN2 and 160's) is very musical, something you'll hear from most Naim users. I just have fun sitting down to listen. I like a pretty wide range of music - 90's alternative (stuff I grew up on); classic rock; and some jazz and classical. So far, Adele, Matchbox Twenty, and Dave Matthews all sound pretty good.

No worries, I don't think I have posted my cabling. I went with Naim's NACA5 (5M) for speaker cable and Chord's Cobra interconnect. If you have read about Naim, I am sure you know about Naim gear and how they are designed to use specific cabling. The thing I thought was funny about their recommendation about speaker cable is to use longer lengths. Naim doesn't build in extra inductance networks in the output of the amps, as they handle that at the speaker cable. The longer lengths keep the amp stable.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Congrats Sean
    Naim and Dynaudio has great synergy and PrAT. Just a quick warning - the sound may change dramatically during the break in process. My original C1's went from very good to horrible to great. But I was warned by my dealer that would happen. He also told me the C1's of all the Dyn speakers went though the toughest break in. When I got the Sig's the break in wasn't as bad so hopefully the new Focus series won't be as tough of a break in process. Just give them at least 250 hrs before making any judgement.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Quote Originally Posted by octadyndude View Post
    Congrats Sean
    Naim and Dynaudio has great synergy and PrAT. Just a quick warning - the sound may change dramatically during the break in process. My original C1's went from very good to horrible to great. But I was warned by my dealer that would happen. He also told me the C1's of all the Dyn speakers went though the toughest break in. When I got the Sig's the break in wasn't as bad so hopefully the new Focus series won't be as tough of a break in process. Just give them at least 250 hrs before making any judgement.
    Thank you, George. So far the (in)famous Dyn break-in is going well. Looking forward to continue pushing through.

I see you're pushing your C1's with Octave. Their synergy with Dyn is also well documented. Have you been able to compare both Naim and Octave within your home setup? I'd be interested in your comments, if so.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

I did compare the Naim XS directly to the V70se when I had it. When I bought the C1 sig I bought my dealers pair from the first shipment in the USA. As they broke in (450 hrs) my dealer had a client from California that wanted to hear them with a Naim XS which he had. So Tyler loaned me the XS and P/S with a cd5. Had it in my home for 3 days. I was somewhat surprised how close it sounded to the V70se. With the slight edge going to the Octave having a hair more 'control' in the music. Both had the PRaT that I really liked when I first heard the Naim. I did also notice a slight midbass hump with the XS.

I never directly compared the SuperNait although I was within a hair of buying one after hearing at my dealer when I was looking to replace my Bryston B100sst. But while I was thinking about it I got a wild hair up my butt to try tubes. My thought was instead of buying a new amp I could just swap some tubes. As it turned out my dealer Tyler at NextLevelav had a customer who changed his order from the V70se to the V80 just after it shipped. He brought it over to my home for a 3 day demo. Well it just crushed the Bryston in every way. So I snagged it and never looked back. I'm having a ball rolling tubes. With the right combo I can change the sound from very detailed and linear to warm and musical. Then I had the opportunity to upgrade the the V110. Figured why not because even though the V70se can use the KT120 it can't deliver any more power. The V110 has a switch on the back to change the plate voltage to 620V (110w) from 540V (70w) so I can use all of my EL34's - 6550's and KT88/90's.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Super Moderator

George,

Thanks for the info on Octave and your C1 sigs. I miss my Dyn C1's. They are great speakers and I can imagine the synergy with Octave is outstanding. Are the C1 Sigs still competitive or do you expect any new Dynaudio models coming out? I'll have to talk to Tyler about the Octave gear. Does your Octave V110 have the auto shut off feature?
    Last edited by joeinid; September 2, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Joe YES it does. Actually the V110 is a modified V70SE that also has switchable plate voltage (540V for 70w to 620V for 110W) with some better caps to better stabilize the input mains power. Otherwise it has all the features of the V70SE. What I haven't done though is compare the V70SE or V110 to the V80 which has better output transformers.

As far as Dynaudio I heard a RUMOR that they will be changing some of the existing lineups faster than in previous years. But for me personally I think the C1 MKII/Sig is a great value at its price point. The only speaker I have heard that I like better is the Raidho D1's. Only monitors work in my room and I can't afford 3 X's the cost of the Signatures for the D1's.
    George

Super Moderator

Thanks!

I'm back on the Octave website checking their gear out. I've always loved the looks of it.

Dynaudio make amazing speakers and I still can not get over the wide sound stage and wonderful sound of the C1 Sigs that I owned. I always thought I'd move up to the C2's which I think size wise would be perfect for me. Hmmmm. Something to think about.

Joe YES it does. Actually the V110 is a modified V70SE that also has switchable plate voltage (540V for 70w to 620V for 110W) with some better caps to better stabilize the input mains power. Otherwise it has all the features of the V70SE. What I haven't done though is compare the V70SE or V110 to the V80 which has better output transformers.

As far as Dynaudio I heard a RUMOR that they will be changing some of the existing lineups faster than in previous years. But for me personally I think the C1 MKII/Sig is a great value at its price point. The only speaker I have heard that I like better is the Raidho D1's. Only monitors work in my room and I can't afford 3 X's the cost of the Signatures for the D1's.

NAD C 658 streamer.

The C4's are my favorite in the Dyn lineup. Just wish I had a better/bigger room.
    George

Super Moderator

The C4's are my favorite in the Dyn lineup. Just wish I had a better/bigger room.
    +1

Me too.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Congrats on the focus 160s. They are superb speakers. I had a pair in gloss white and they looked stunning. And I felt the sound was shockingly close to the much more expensive c1. The c1 still pulls ahead in resolution, but the focus 160 is a great speaker.

Love to see some pics. I'm thinking about shelling out for some of those stand 6s. Ae they easier to assemble than the stand 4 (which was a bear)? Also, are they easy to fill with sand?
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Quote Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
    Congrats on the focus 160s. They are superb speakers. I had a pair in gloss white and they looked stunning. And I felt the sound was shockingly close to the much more expensive c1. The c1 still pulls ahead in resolution, but the focus 160 is a great speaker.

Love to see some pics. I'm thinking about shelling out for some of those stand 6s. Ae they easier to assemble than the stand 4 (which was a bear)? Also, are they easy to fill with sand?
    Hi Jax,

Nice to see you here. I see you replaced the C1's and NAD....a new sound can always be fun. The 160's are giving me everything I have expected so far and I'm still young in the break-in.

I won't be able to comment on stand construction vs the 4 but the 6's were pretty breezy. Just a few (solid) parts and it didn't take too long despite taking my time. I haven't filled with lead or sand but the manual says you can.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Ooo, those do look fab in gloss black! Sweet!

Here's my advice, go download (hi res only of course) a copy of the album "water" by the beautiful girls. Put that on and crank that naim dyn combo.

Btw, how's the supernait treating you? Can you compare to your bryston?

Btw, how's the supernait treating you? Can you compare to your bryston?
    Jax, the SN2 is combining with the 160's very very well to give me pleasing audio experience. The high current provides great grip of the drivers for a strong bottom end. Listening to The Dark Knight soundtrack is really neat and exciting. Clear defined bass. The staging is noteworthy, too, even with my LCD in the middle.

I didn't have my 4B with the 160's (to compare both amps, in similar settings) but I will say the bass is similar (yes, you read that right) on the SN2 and the smooth overall balance of the 4B is also present in the SN2. The timing is where I have noted a difference between the two sounds. The coined PRaT is a real thing. Mids on the Naim are also nice and weighty. Overall, both house sounds are very enjoyable. I could have kept the 4B but better synergy with the 160's was key for me.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Ooo, those do look fab in gloss black! Sweet!

Here's my advice, go download (hi res only of course) a copy of the album "water" by the beautiful girls. Put that on and crank that naim dyn combo.
    Il have to check that out. The Batman soundtrack is pretty kick-ass, too.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

I did compare the Naim XS directly to the V70se when I had it. When I bought the C1 sig I bought my dealers pair from the first shipment in the USA. As they broke in (450 hrs) my dealer had a client from California that wanted to hear them with a Naim XS which he had. So Tyler loaned me the XS and P/S with a cd5. Had it in my home for 3 days. I was somewhat surprised how close it sounded to the V70se. With the slight edge going to the Octave having a hair more 'control' in the music. Both had the PRaT that I really liked when I first heard the Naim. I did also notice a slight midbass hump with the XS.

I never directly compared the SuperNait although I was within a hair of buying one after hearing at my dealer when I was looking to replace my Bryston B100sst. But while I was thinking about it I got a wild hair up my butt to try tubes. My thought was instead of buying a new amp I could just swap some tubes. As it turned out my dealer Tyler at NextLevelav had a customer who changed his order from the V70se to the V80 just after it shipped. He brought it over to my home for a 3 day demo. Well it just crushed the Bryston in every way. So I snagged it and never looked back. I'm having a ball rolling tubes. With the right combo I can change the sound from very detailed and linear to warm and musical. Then I had the opportunity to upgrade the the V110. Figured why not because even though the V70se can use the KT120 it can't deliver any more power. The V110 has a switch on the back to change the plate voltage to 620V (110w) from 540V (70w) so I can use all of my EL34's - 6550's and KT88/90's.
    Thank you for the write-up, George! I have been eagerly wanting to hear first-hand accounts on the difference between these two brands' integrateds. I am glad to hear the tube rolling is giving you all you want with catering the sound to specific moods and/or music genres.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Sean - It's been a week and was wondering how the break is going? Do you leave the SN2 on 24/7? That is what Naim recommends. I leave my uniti2 2 Ndac and PS5 XS always on.

Thank you for the write-up, George! I have been eagerly wanting to hear first-hand accounts on the difference between these two brands' integrateds. I am glad to hear the tube rolling is giving you all you want with catering the sound to specific moods and/or music genres.
    Again I almost bought the original SN but the Octave just beat it out. Add the black box and some extra tubes and your talking some serious coin. Of course if you add the ext P/S you'll be close to just the V70SE. I've been reading the Naim forums and the SN2 is getting great reviews over the original SN.

How many hrs on the Dyns?
    George

Focus 160s

Hi George, thank you for the interest. I do leave the SN2 on 24/7. It has been turned off a few times (speaker movement, storms, etc) but it's been on now for almost two weeks straight. With that being said, not as much music being played as I would like but things have just been a little busy. I have been out of town all this week but hope to get more time in this weekend. I would say I have less than 50 hours of music on the Dyns. They are very pleasing, but I can't wait to hear after they evolve into their final sound.

Also, within the next month I hope to add a decent DAC (with E's help) and run hi res material via JRiver on my laptop. Excited for that.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Focus 160s

I have found the Naim to run pretty cool, too. Fairly similar to the Bryston 4B SST2 I had previously. Maybe a tad cooler than the 4B.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

The Octave doesn't run cool at all LOL.
    George

The Octave doesn't run cool at all LOL.
    Keeps you warm during that cold Chicago winter!
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Hey Sean - You're right!! Great in the winter but it fights the AC in the summer . Good news is I'm getting a new furnace and AC installed this weekend. Should be a big help especially in the summer. Going from a 12 seer AC unit to a 21 seer. Furnace is going from 80% to 96% efficient. Saving should be enough to hoard some more tubes LMAO!!!
    George

Just a friendly bump for an update on the break-in process. This has been a great thread!

And Sean, congrats on a very nice setup, hope you've been finding time to enjoy it

+1
    Almost bought C4. Looked real hard at C4. Been a Dyna fan for many years. Have Focus 200 series in the family room.

I am still loving my Dyns. They do everything I need them to. The Naim compliments the tough load and the system plays plenty big. I am saving my shekels for a DAC as it's clearly the weakest link. But for now, music has me enticed.

Quote Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
    Just a friendly bump for an update on the break-in process. This has been a great thread!

And Sean, congrats on a very nice setup, hope you've been finding time to enjoy it
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Sean,

nice setup, those Focus put out great sound, are just a joy to have (a previous owner)

P.S i do have a NAIM NDX Streamer/DAC available (in AS classifieds) would be pure joy with SN2!

Nice Sean! Just get?
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Nice looking setup!

I had 160s for a while. Great speakers.

Sorry for the delay - the Dyns (and Naim) have been with me for about 9 months now, I believe. Only about 2 months in this configuration, though.

I think the room would very much benefit from acoustic panels and bass traps.

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    Nice Sean! Just get?
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by callas2218 View Post
    Nice looking setup!

I had 160s for a while. Great speakers.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Okay, who thinks the Job INTegrated can handle the 160's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Focus 160s