Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Audiophile on a Beer Budget!

If you can follow instructions and are handy with a soldering iron, Bottlehead will allow you to custom build a true High-Fidelity tube system for a mid-fi price.

Bottlehead.com

I have no affiliation other than owning a Bottlehead preamp!

Jim
    Magnepan 2.5's with a pair of B&W ASW300 subwoofers. Audio Research VS-110 amplifier, modded Bottlehead Foreplay II Preamp, AH! Tjoeb CDP with a pair of NOS Siemens E288CC's in the output stage.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Re: Audiophile on a Beer Budget!

Hey Jim, I just quickly explored that link, pretty cool man!

* I'll have another longer look eventually, thx.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

For your consideration............ "beer budget"..............
    Prolly be a good investment regardless of electronics, combined with the mentioned link above, "hard to beat period"!
    No affiliation what so ever, but I live 80 miles from Bob.
    Prolly my next purchase (CNC cabinets at least).
    I plan on paying him a visit sometime this winter and picking his brain.

Cornscala? | Critesspeakers.com

Those prices are still high for a DIY kit, but they might be a higher standard after build. In other words, it might be a $1200 item for $750 or something. It's an interesting idea, but my biggest problem with it is the fact that if I got one of those, I WOULD screw it up!

At the moment this is on my radar. I am slowly, repeat, very slowly teaching myself electronics so I can tinker with d.i.y. This is something that really interests me, I would love to build it & then compare it to my uber expensive Soulution 520 preamp in my system. My system is begging of a tube preamp too.

My son recently graduated from a GE SuperRadio to the following root beer budget system:
    Sony Playstation -> Bottlehead Quickie Preamp -> Dayton T-Amp -> Advent /3 speakers.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Mortsnets!

Thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I have to agree with MusicDirector i would diffiinitely screw this up

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Mortsnets View Post
    My son recently graduated from a GE SuperRadio to the following root beer budget system:
    Sony Playstation -> Bottlehead Quickie Preamp -> Dayton T-Amp -> Advent /3 speakers.
    Hey welcome indeed!
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Welcome to AS, Mortsnets!

Allen

I have a few budget components that sound awesome. The first is the Dayton DTA100a digital integrated amp, I paid $59 for it on sale from $89 at Parts Express. I have it connected to an old Denon 1910 DVD player and Monitor Audio S1's. The sound is airy, transparent, dynamic with deep bass. It sounds like a high end system if not played too loud as the S1's aren't the most efficient. With a better source (like my 2 budget tube DAC/Pre's) the sound is spectacular for a budget amp.

My other budget pieces are my Class D Audio CDA 254 amp, Grant Fidelity DAC-11 tube Pre/DAC that I paid $325 for and my Maverick Audio tube DAC/Pre that I paid $220. Both units make great budget DAC's and good preamps. The Grant just needed a tube upgrade from 6922's to 6DJ8 vintage 1960 Telefunken or 1960 non A-frame Holland made Amperex. I am running the Grant with the CDA 254 amp (250 wpc at 4 ohms) which I bought used for $189 (it was a Kit but retails for about $500 pre-built) and my Magnepan MMG speakers ($550pr) with a Yamaha DVD S-1800 SACD player as a digital source except for SACD which I run analog (paid $79 new as a closeout off Amazon, it use to retail for $450) . You would be hard pressed to find a better sounding system for the cost of all the components. The Grant is smooth and liquid sounding with a rich midrange and good transparency. The CDA amp has a tube like quality and has a huge sound stage and a very black background.

As for the Maverick, it is not as good at the Grant and I needed to upgrade the stock op amps for $10 each along with a tube upgrade. It sounds very good as a DAC and Preamp and adds that tube richness. It rocks with the CDA amp and my Parasound A21 hooked up to a pair of PSB B6 speakers
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

I agree very enthusiastically about Bottlehead! I purchased a pair of Paramount 300B monoblocks that they had assembled and used, and with new tubes they have been and still are really intoxicating! I then purchased a Smack headphone amp kit, thinking that I could assemble it...
    After reading the manual I realized that I would screw it up.... I found a local tube expert and he did a perfect job of assembling it at a reasonable price. With my Grado PS500 phones it is magic, unfortunately they discontinued it after the one run. Doc B and Queen Eileen are the real deal!
    Tannoy Canterbury SE's, Nottingham Analog Studio Space 294/12"Anna arm/Grado Gold1, Ah! Njoe Toeb 4000, MF M1DAC, AVA Transcendance 8+ pre,
    Bottlehead 300B Paramount monoblocs, PL Prologue 5, Decware Zen Torii MK3, Odyssey Stratos, Stillpoint Mini's

Bottlehead preamps YES but amps you better have very efficient speakers or else it's a big no no.
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

Very true! My 96dB Canterburys work well, however.
    Tannoy Canterbury SE's, Nottingham Analog Studio Space 294/12"Anna arm/Grado Gold1, Ah! Njoe Toeb 4000, MF M1DAC, AVA Transcendance 8+ pre,
    Bottlehead 300B Paramount monoblocs, PL Prologue 5, Decware Zen Torii MK3, Odyssey Stratos, Stillpoint Mini's

I've followed the bottlehead products for some time. It's super subjective if you haven't heard things or we lack sufficient test data to support a good decision.

My contribution is this:

listen with headphones 720p (HD) for proper effect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26fH2APyQyY

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Audiophile on a Beer Budget!