Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

ARC REF 5SE vs ARC REF 10

Hi, this message goes out to those of you who own the REF10 and are/were former REF5SE owners. I'm currently using a REF5SE but am considering upgrading to the REF10. As you went from the 5SE to the 10, would you describe the sonic improvement as transformative or evolutionary? I'm not the type of audiophile who likes buying the best simply to know that I own the state of the art, so to this end, I'd greatly appreciate folk's honest opinions on whether they found the sonic upgrade between the 5SE and the 10 a good "return on investment" when considering the incremental cost between the two.

Many thanks,

Battles
    Digital Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and EtherRegen w/ Upgraded PSU+External Clock
    Analog Source: Spiral Groove SG1.1 w/ Centroid Tonearm; Airtight Opus-1, Ortofon Anna; Sutherland BIG LOCO
    Amp: MSB S202
    Speakers: Göbel Divin Marquis
    Cables: Göbel Loom
    Power: Torus Wall Mount + Shunyata Denali, Nordost QKORE Ground Unit
    Isolation: HRS, Symposium, Wellfloat, etc.
    Headfi: Woo Audio WA33 Elite, Hifiman Susvara, Nordost Heimdall 2

Re: ARC REF 5SE vs ARC REF 10

Hi Battles,
    I'm 100% with you about buying an equipment just to have the best.
    But this is not the case about the REF10, is more than double the price of the REF5se but
    Is so more detail and info without the need to more gain to achieve it.
    The soundstage gets more open and breathes in front of you like a live concert.
    Micro dynamics, Micro dynamics,Micro dynamics ......
    Blacker background like never heard before and the sound is so mind Blowing
    you will understand why cost so much. When I heard its attributes on its debut on RMAF2012
    was love at first sight, I told my self that I need to get one fast. It will be your last pre amp
    nothing comes close to the real sound as the REF10. Sorry to all my friend that have other brands
    but the REF10 if is not in 1st place, im pretty sure is next to it. Is that good my friend.
    you don't see nobody selling it used anywhere, is definitely a keeper. ARC RULES !!!!!!
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Audioshark

I've stopped even reading about other preamps when I got mine. It's what I built my entire system around.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

It is mind blowing, to say is one of the best or next to the best is an understatement and no offense to other sharks, the Ref 10 like Mike said a while back "is the best preamp in the world". Again audition and come to your own conclusion although I’m sure that you will agree with us. Warning you will get hooked.
    Angel

Nakamichi Dragons
    Nakamichi CR-7A
    Nakamichi ZX-9
    The Elite Super Metal Cassettes
    AMG Viella 12 Turntable
    ARC Reference Phono 2SE, Benz LP S
    ARC Reference 10
    ARC Reference 150
    Sonus Faber Amati Futura's
    Isoclean Transformer 3030G, amp direct to wall
    Isoclean, Nirvana, Vahalla

I know the Ref10 is a tube preamp but has anyone compared it against the Taking K10? They both seem to be revered pieces and acclaimed by those who have heard them as "the best".

Quote Originally Posted by adamaley View Post
    I know the Ref10 is a tube preamp but has anyone compared it against the Taking K10? They both seem to be revered pieces and acclaimed by those who have heard them as "the best".

do you mean the Robert Koda Takumi K-10 Preamplifier?
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

After the power cord change to my REF 5SE I read this thread and scratch my head “How can it possibly get any better than this?” Is the REF 10 three times as good as my REF 5SE?
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    do you mean the Robert Koda Takumi K-10 Preamplifier?
    Yes - sorry, autocorrect gremlins.

M
    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    After the power cord change to my REF 5SE I read this thread and scratch my head “How can it possibly get any better than this?” Is the REF 10 three times as good as my REF 5SE?
    No, only twice as good. I owned the Ref 10 for two years before I went sans preamp with the Select II DAC. It is a world class sounding preamp.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

really don't want to derail this thread, but if you're considering preamps at this price point, soulution has to be in the mix. i did a massive upgrade from an entry level arc pre (ls 17se) to the 721 and was blown away.

admittedly, i have not heard what the ref5se, ref6, and ref10 can do but the biggest difference i noticed from my switch was more precise imaging - the arc had a wonderfully big sound stage but resulted in floating heads. it was great for electronic music that way but not so much for vocals. the tone from the soulution is spot on through all frequencies and, while cliche, i felt that a veil was lifted. the reason i was eager to switch was because at some point i noticed the arc had a bit of a whitish tonal palette. anyways, ymmv and you may have already tested soulution pres and not liked them - but thought i'd share my feedback anyways

I don't know how I missed this post. I will tell you right now that the "entry level" ARC LS 17 preamp is just that. To get one started in high fidelity playback. I've owned 5 ARC preamps each one a step up before arriving to the Ref 10 after selling the Ref 5SE. I was fortunate to get one of their factory demo units that they were no longer using. Wow what a major difference. The Ref 10 is "twice as good" as the Ref 5SE as someone else said before. It's primarily the tube power supply. It adds so much dynamic presence that the Ref 5SE just cannot produce. More detail, less noise, etc. The same points as echoed before by other members prior to my post.
    Source component-Esoteric K-01X
    Preamp-
    Audio Research Reference 10
    Amplifier- ​D'Agostino Progression monoblocks
    Speakers-
    Wilson Audio Maxx 3
    Isolation stand-HRS SXR
    Cables-Transparent Reference speaker and Super I/C's.
    Power conditioning-Transparent Power Isolator and Transparent power cords
    Room treatment-Vicoustics

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp 2160 View Post
    I don't know how I missed this post. I will tell you right now that the "entry level" ARC LS 17 preamp is just that.
    yep, no disagreements here on that. i havent had the pleasure of hearing arc's higher end offerings but i can confidently say that with the pieces i have heard, i'm a fan. i saw others mentioning the k10 so figured i'd share my experience with the soulution. is the 720 as good as the ref 10 - dunno. it works for me, and their price points (at least on the used market) are not too dissimilar. then we have the whole aspect of tubes vs solid state and all that. if op wants to demo a bunch of choices before deciding then i think at this price point soulution is a contender - and at this price point, i'd like to add, i don't think you could do much better by spending more. this is all top tier gear.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

ARC REF 5SE vs ARC REF 10