Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: The Schiit

The Schiit

“You won’t believe this Schiit” and so reads the front page of Schiit Audio’s website.

Schiit Audio has my admiration for several reasons: the brilliance and audacity of the name, their products and the founders.

I haven’t yet had the pleasure to try their Schiit, but people I respect highly have and they are raving about the value and performance. *Thier main products, headphone amps, are really supposed to be “the Schiit” and one of the best there is out there. *Great work guys.

Founded by Jason Stoddard of Sumo and Mike Moffat of Theta, these guys are knocking ‘em down designing and selling products of exceptional value and performance. *The industry can use as many companies like this as possible and I, for one, applaud their efforts.

I don’t know Jason but I surely know Mike Moffat and have written of him several times in these Paul’s Post Series. *Mike was the first person to demonstrate to me that cables make a difference, the first person to show me the lighter side of some of our industry’s greats and lunatics, and a very independent and talented audio designer.

If you have a chance, check out their Schiit.

email The Schiit*Forward to a friend and help us engage more readers

Get new and fresh stories like this each morning by joining the folks reading Paul's Posts. Click here

[Source: http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/schiit/11207/]

Re: The Schiit

I plan to buy their Lyr headphone amp in a few weeks...I'll report back. I have yet to read a bad review, so that bodes well.
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

They seem to be rated in top of Head HiFi. The only problem I have heard is they have delivery problems.
    Barry

What sort of problems? They claim to have this model in stock, and I live in the same state, so delivery shouldn't take too long!
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

I've had my Bifrost DAC with USB and the Uber analog upgrade for several months. I'm still very impressed. The resolution and palpable imaging were beyond my expectation at the time I bought it. One of my best overall system upgrades, although I haven't owned any really high end DACs.

Service and delivery were great at the time I bought it several months ago; that includes a return to the factory for the Uber analog upgrade.
    ~ Bill

Win10/Foobar2000 => Topping D90 DAC => Sonic Frontiers Line 1 SE+ preamp => VTV Purifi 1ET400A stereo amp with Sparkos SS3602 op amps => Zaph Audio ZRT speakers (DIY) + PSB Subsonic 5 subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I've had my Bifrost DAC with USB and the Uber analog upgrade for several months. I'm still very impressed. The resolution and palpable imaging were beyond my expectation at the time I bought it. One of my best overall system upgrades, although I haven't owned any really high end DACs.

Service and delivery were great at the time I bought it several months ago; that includes a return to the factory for the Uber analog upgrade.

+1 The Uber Bifrost is a standout in the its price range Highly recommended

Bruce

They may have solved their delivery problems. What I remember were long delays between time order and delivery of product. If you say it is in stock then as I said maybe they have solved that issue.

I've been wanting to try one of their products for at least a couple of years. Maybe now is the time I get off my butt and "git-er-done".
    I'm basically after a headphone amp. I'm trying to decide between the Magni and the Vali. My cans are Sennhiser HD518 and they sound great, but I have wondered if I can make them sound better and have been told that a decent headphone amp would be a better and more cost effective upgrade. The thing I don't know is how to hook it up to my receiver. Once I figure that out, I can get back to deciding which one to order.

I have Senns 550, 650 and 800. Don't use the 550 much anymore. I changed the wires on the 650s made a huge difference. I suspect a wire change might make a difference for you too. If you need to check it out I suggest you go to head hifi for any can knowledge.
    Barry

The new Yggdrasil dac.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post

The new Yggdrasil dac.
    When is that coming out?

Looks like some cool "Schiit".

Seriously, I've seen and listened to their gear at RMAF. Well made and sounds terrific - specially for the money.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

I've been checking out Schiit myself, considering the Ragnarok combination headphone amp/actual power amp for my main desktop computer, would be a decent nearfield start to go with the high end sound card in the PC cause let's be honest, a nice pair of Polk RTiA3 bookshelf speakers with a small powered sub would be a definite upgrade over the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 I'm currently using...
    Small bedroom 2 channel
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A
    Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 Reciever
    Wharfedale Diamond 225 Speakers

I'm most likely going to be picking up the Ragnorak sometime early next month.

Setup will be OPPO 105D balanced connection to Schitt Ragnorak out to EA MicroOnes.

Will leave impression!

I owned their (at the time) top of the line Gungnir DAC. One of the best DACs I have ever owned.

I've made two purchases from Schiit. I'd say their name isn't a clever joke, it's an accurate description of their customer service. There were problems with both orders and I've never been treated more rudely by a company.

I've learned to avoid these little boutique manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by ls35a View Post
    I've made two purchases from Schiit. I'd say their name isn't a clever joke, it's an accurate description of their customer service. There were problems with both orders and I've never been treated more rudely by a company.

That is shocking. You must have talked to the wrong rep or something. I've gotten nothing but good treatment from them (all pre-sales so far). I'm about to order a product from them shortly I think, so I'll feel that area out, but I don't anticipate any issues. (I've talked with several folks there via email, phone and in person, including Jason Stoddard, all nice and all honest).

Ridiculously good build quality for the money.
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

I remember seeing the same type of complaints on Head hifi sometime ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ls35a View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
    Ridiculously good build quality for the money.
    Yes and that too. They use the more expensive components in their builds on all products too, believe it or not. (You have to read the story of the company that Jason Stoddard wrote on Head-fi to find that).

I got a Yggdrasil from the first batch that shipped. Really nice piece of gear, have had no issues with it, and it sounds great. It replaced a Meitner in my system.
    Antipodes EX…Schiit Yggdrasil...Coda 07x…Peachtree GaN400...Vivid V1.5
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA
    Torus RM15...Shunyata Alpha HC…Mad Scientist First...HF Reveal...XLO Ref 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mrppv View Post
    I got a Yggdrasil from the first batch that shipped. Really nice piece of gear, have had no issues with it, and it sounds great. It replaced a Meitner in my system.
    Would that have been the Meitner MA1?

Yes, the MA-1.
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA

Yes, the MA-1.
    How would compare the sonic signature of both DACS? I know the Schiit doesn't do DSD But, thats not an issue for me.

Right away with the Yggdrasil I was hearing things on familiar songs that I hadn't noticed before, so I would say it's more detailed / revealing than the MA-1. (DSD is a non-issue for me, too.)

Right away with the Yggdrasil I was hearing things on familiar songs that I hadn't noticed before, so I would say it's more detailed / revealing than the MA-1. (DSD is a non-issue for me, too.)
    Thanks. Sounds like a winner to me.

I enjoy mine.

Attached Images Attached Images
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

I always enjoy photos of your room, Jim. So beautiful and welcoming...
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

The Schiit