Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Need a little education in Class D? What's the latest (and greatest) ?

A friend sent me a link to Cherry Amps aka Digital Amp Co. They look very interesting and have a great following.

I keep seeing the new Purifi module from Nord and NAD. Is that the top of the line now or is the Ncore 1200 still the king?

What have you heard and what can you recommend?

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Need a little education in Class D? What's the latest (and greatest) ?

Bruno would say now that the Purifi modules from his new venture are the best. Tommy's DAC amps are a proprietary circuit just like the one from Nuprime. It would cost a bit more to sample Tommy's amps than it would one of Colin's Purifi models. If you watch AC you may pick up a DAC amp used. Darren Myers has now mated a tube input stage to the newest IcePower 1200AS modules and Walter at Underwood has a GAN based amp coming soon too that is now past due.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I have both the Purify and Ncore based amps from Nord. Purify is a bit better. Changing the op-amps in both makes actually a bigger difference (I prefer the Sparkos-Labs).

My Graaf 20OTL amp wipes the floor with both, lol.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Cherry amps have a big following on the AC forum. I have also been curious about them. He has a 30 day trial if I am not mistaken. After hearing how well the PS Audio S700 mono's sounded, I am tempted to give a Cherry amp a try in the future.

Joe, why don't you give one a spin and report back
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Larry

Mike Lundy over at AC had the M700's and is one of the Beta testers for the new M1200. All indications are that he is trading his M700's back in against the 1200's.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    Cherry amps have a big following on the AC forum. I have also been curious about them. He has a 30 day trial if I am not mistaken. After hearing how well the PS Audio S700 mono's sounded, I am tempted to give a Cherry amp a try in the future.

Joe, why don't you give one a spin and report back

The Benchmark went back today, I prefer the Valvet E2se on my Avantgarde Duo.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Larry

Mike Lundy over at AC had the M700's and is one of the Beta testers for the new M1200. All indications are that he is trading his M700's back in against the 1200's.
    If i'm not mistaken, the PS audio amps have a tube input for a hybrid design.

NAD C 658 streamer.

That's correct for the M1200's. I think I personally would try Colin's Purifi amp before the 700's but that's me as I have a 1200AS based amp with the standard buffer. Either option though is a play all day with no heat or stress.

Super Moderator

Thank you Jack. It's great to see all the advancements coming. I was looking at Colin's site last night. I am happy to see how he's grown.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Certainly not the "little guy" we all supported years ago but I think he's earned his success. His little inexpensive streamers are supposed to be quite good for the money too as well as the integrated using the preamp using the TVC based preamp.

Jack, my son bought the m700's and loved them but he had all sorts of ground loops and it did not like dac's without galvanic isolation. There was a lot of noise. It is an issue with the M700's as PS Audio has a page or 2 dedicated to ground loops in its manual. I did a web search and a few people had the same issues. I hope that they have ironed it out. A borrowed Intona galvanic isolation device fixed the DAC issue but that adds another $375. My son had to send his back for a refund. PSA was a pleasure to deal with.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

The Cherry Maraschino caught my interest a while back and was surprised to find the company is in Allentown PA, where I used to live. The proprietary class D, the small form, and... I like the looks too... yes I'm a slave to aesthetics. Pic is from the company site.

mara.jpg

The Nord TVC pre was unknown to me; haven't checked their site for a while. I have been interested lately and reading about the Townshend Allegri Reference transformer based pre, which is fairly new but getting high praise. Will look into the Nord some more.
    Antipodes EX…Schiit Yggdrasil...Coda 07x…Peachtree GaN400...Vivid V1.5
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA
    Torus RM15...Shunyata Alpha HC…Mad Scientist First...HF Reveal...XLO Ref 3

Nothing like a pocket size amp for realism ....

Super Moderator

Ha!

I love seeing all the new advancements in the technology. The Cherry amp gear looks great. The new Nord amps should be awesome, as well as the new preamp.

I never gave NAD any attention and not sure why. But but now seeing the gear (and seeing Peter with the Avantgarde speakers using the M32) and now an upcoming M33, I’m definitely curious.

I don’t know if there’s one perfect system and I don’t think I could be loyal to one set of speakers/amps/preamp, etc. Variety is the spice of life so I’m excited to try some of my new discoveries.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Class D listenable through an honest speaker like AG would be a find indeed.

Tommy O'Brien is a fairly common name but I'm pretty sure he is the guy on one of the Facebook forums I belong to. I was shocked or taken back by some of his comments.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I think the amp I would most like to hear is the AGD Audion / Vivace. Proprietary Class D using gallium-nitride.
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mrppv View Post
    I think the amp I would most like to hear is the AGD Audion / Vivace. Proprietary Class D using gallium-nitride.
    Another member here has them. I’m curious too.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    The Benchmark went back today, I prefer the Valvet E2se on my Avantgarde Duo.
    I would think the E2 is plenty of power on the Duos. I have an E2 here I use off and on with the Klipsch and its 12 WPC will blow you out of my listening room. What were you hoping to get from Class D on the Duos?

Super Moderator

The Valvet has what feels like a ton of power on my Avantgarde. The non se version was a tiny bit sweeter or more reserved on top, but both versions of the E2 are awesome.

The Benchmark is not class D it’s some sort of AB and H mix, I forget.

As for true Class D, they tend to be smooth and rounded on top - almost rolled off but not totally. I’m a little sensitive to hot treble and don’t like it in my face.

I’ve been experimenting a little lately. The Benchmark was quite eye and ear opening - never fatiguing or aggressive, very smooth and natural but a little bit thin overall. Actually I really liked it and feel it’s awesome on my other speakers as well. I just want to see what other options are out there for me. The Benchmark also ran barely warm, a trait I like about Class D.

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    I would think the E2 is plenty of power on the Duos. I have an E2 here I use off and on with the Klipsch and its 12 WPC will blow you out of my listening room. What were you hoping to get from Class D on the Duos?
    Last edited by joeinid; May 21, 2020 at 05:14 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

If you want 'dark' or rolled off Class D the early Rowland fits the bill. He was using ICE modules with 501 monos and Rowland Concerto int. I had them on Joseph Audio Pulsars and it seems like the treble was missing, like no air or sparkle. I later read the TAS review which corroborated everything I heard. Jeff now uses Pascal modules which supposedly are more extended in the top octaves..

Super Moderator

Interesting. I’d love to hear Rowland’s AB gear like the 625 S2 or new 735.

What started me thinking about class D again was a friend asking about the Cherry amps and all the great reviews from customers. Then I start looking around again, like a dog chasing a squirrel.

Sometimes it’s just fun shopping around and looking at what’s out there. A lot of companies have come a long way, it’s great to see.

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    If you want 'dark' or rolled off Class D the early Rowland fits the bill. He was using ICE modules with 501 monos and Rowland Concerto int. I had them on Joseph Audio Pulsars and it seems like the treble was missing, like no air or sparkle. I later read the TAS review which corroborated everything I heard. Jeff now uses Pascal modules which supposedly are more extended in the top octaves..

NAD C 658 streamer.

I've never heard a Class D sound rolled off, typically it's the highs or edginess that turns me off.

I did like the sound of Audio Alchemy with a good set of speakers. The second time I heard the set up with other speakers I wasn't as impressed.

I think the possible benchmark for Class D now may be the Merrill Audio Element amplifiers. Although I have yet to hear them. They are certainly out of my budget.

Class G like the Devialet uses is what seems to be catching on fast, Krell, Arcam, so therefore Lexicon. I'm sure others. I actually really like Devialet.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Interesting. I’d love to hear Rowland’s AB gear like the 625 S2 or new 735.

What started me thinking about class D again was a friend asking about the Cherry amps and all the great reviews from customers. Then I start looking around again, like a dog chasing a squirrel.

Sometimes it’s just fun shopping around and looking at what’s out there. A lot of companies have come a long way, it’s great to see.
    Hello Joe,
    I own a pair of JRDG 725S2s; would you please divulge what we can look forward to in the “new” JRDG 735s?

Super Moderator

Hi

I’m not exactly sure what the specs are or differences will be regarding the new 735’s other than them being monos. I forgot where I read a little bit about them. I see if I can find it and repost it here.

edit ....

Here’s a link

https://www.jeffrowlandgroup.com/wp-...nouncement.pdf
    Last edited by joeinid; May 22, 2020 at 07:41 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

<deleted>

A friend sent me a link to Cherry Amps aka Digital Amp Co. They look very interesting and have a great following.

Found a used pair of the 48v Maraschinos; received them on Friday. Using them, the TDAI-3400 integrated is now employed as pre / room correction only. This is the first pair of monos for me.

Initial impressions are good. Bass is quite a bit stronger, hearing good detail and seems a bit more three dimensional. Also, they are quiet, and get barely warm.

And this is with using the stock power cords and Mogami Gold XLRs, which are the only spare balanced cables I have on hand at the moment.

cherry.jpg

Super Moderator

Congratulations!

Please keep us updated

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thought this SoundStage review of the new Purifi amplification might be of interest, with an excerpt below for reference:

I began evaluating the Eigentakt when I used it in May to review the Magico A1 minimonitors ($7400/pair). Before hooking up the Eigentakt, I’d been using a pair of Constellation Audio Revelation Taurus monoblocks -- massive amps that cost $40,000/pair, are specified to each output up to 500W into 8 ohms or 1000W into 4 ohms, and sound outstanding. The Eigentakt clearly wouldn’t be able to match that kind of power, but the Magico A1s don’t need it -- and don’t want it, unless you want to blow them up... Feeding the Eigentakt were an EMM Labs DA2 Reference DAC and Pre preamplifier, both via Crystal Cable Standard Diamond Balanced interconnects. My music server was an Asus ZenBook UX303U laptop computer, connected to the DAC with an AmazonBasics USB link.

I found that the Eigentakt was not only powerful enough to drive the A1s -- it sounded as good as the Constellations. As I wrote in my review, “almost nothing about the A1s’ sound had changed -- the tonal balance was the same, the highs were just as extended and the midrange just as pure, voices were equally robust, bass just as extended, and the soundstaging and imaging were exactly as before.” What’s more, I also thought that if there were any differences in the sounds, they “were at best slight and, surprisingly, favored the Purifi. I played “Hope Is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have -- But I Have It,” from Lana Del Rey’s Norman Fucking Rockwell! (16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC, Interscope). As I also said in the review, “the subtle sounds of her lips moving as she sings softly into the microphone were more apparent through the Purifi.” Ever since the arrival of the Revelation Taurus monos, I’ve loved their combination of smoothness, detail, and effortlessness -- for the Eigentakt to turn in the same performance, at a fraction of the price, was incredible. I was impressed.

Super Moderator

Pretty awesome review. Thank you for posting. Looks like the new Purifi equipped amps are pretty great.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Surprised no mention of the Bel Canto black. No experience other than some brief listens at the local audio shop. Not cheap, but has some interesting tech and seems to get a lot of praise.

The System - Bel Canto Design
    Main:
    Room: Dedicated 25 x 14 x 8 treated room | Computers (headless in utility room): Wkst #1 Ubuntu running lifetime ROON server. High end wkst #2 High end wkst running HQE image | Network rack (in utility room): Managed Fiber Switch, QNAP NAS | Endpoint: Fiber to SONORE OpticalRendu w/ LPS, Sbooster USB vbus2 |DAC: Lampi Lite7, Holo Audio S3 KTE, Aqua La Scala MKII Optologic | Pre: Atma-Sphere MP-3 Mk3.3 Pre | Amps: Pass XA100.5 Mono's | Speakers: Revel Ultima Studio2 (Townshend seismic posiums) with Dual PSA X15 sealed subs | Isolation: Components on custom roller bearings + compression springs | Cables: Wireworld Platinum USB / Analysis Plus PC / Gotham 4/4 XLR / AQ spkr / Revelation audiolabs I2s | Server Streamer: Aqua LinQ using HQP modules > I2s to Aqua La Scala

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > VLINK 192 > Yamaha RX integrated > Polk audio signature Monitors >12" sub

When you listened did it sound noticeably better than the Reference Bel Canto?

When at Axpona the Bel Canto room with the Black was full but from the doorway it just sounded like Bel Canto which left me scratching my head at $50k. However, I will reserve judgement until a proper audition.

That might seem like a ridiculous statement, however, I have had systems that actually drew my attention from what I heard from the hall, not even the doorway.

We do have a dealer who carries the Ref gear, I need to get back over to hear the most current monoblocks. He don't carry any of the Black though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swisstrips View Post
    Surprised no mention of the Bel Canto black. No experience other than some brief listens at the local audio shop. Not cheap, but has some interesting tech and seems to get a lot of praise.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Super Moderator

Bel Canto black looks awesome but they have eye watering price points. I’d love to hear them and certainly hope they are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swisstrips View Post

NAD C 658 streamer.

I am getting into the Marantz PM-10 (w/SA-10). Sounds great (to me) with JBL 4365's. I think I am a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    When you listened did it sound noticeably better than the Reference Bel Canto?

When at Axpona the Bel Canto room with the Black was full but from the doorway it just sounded like Bel Canto which left me scratching my head at $50k. However, I will reserve judgement until a proper audition.

That might seem like a ridiculous statement, however, I have had systems that actually drew my attention from what I heard from the hall, not even the doorway.

We do have a dealer who carries the Ref gear, I need to get back over to hear the most current monoblocks. He don't carry any of the Black though.
    I was more less mentioning it as it seems applicable here. They only had the full black system setup and sounded great (I think with Alexia II), but no other bel canto to compare.

The fiber interconnect system and output stage looks interesting.
    Main:
    Room: Dedicated 25 x 14 x 8 treated room | Computers (headless in utility room): Wkst #1 Ubuntu running lifetime ROON server. High end wkst #2 High end wkst running HQE image | Network rack (in utility room): Managed Fiber Switch, QNAP NAS | Endpoint: Fiber to SONORE OpticalRendu w/ LPS, Sbooster USB vbus2 |DAC: Lampi Lite7, Holo Audio S3 KTE, Aqua La Scala MKII Optologic | Pre: Atma-Sphere MP-3 Mk3.3 Pre | Amps: Pass XA100.5 Mono's | Speakers: Revel Ultima Studio2 (Townshend seismic posiums) with Dual PSA X15 sealed subs | Isolation: Components on custom roller bearings + compression springs | Cables: Wireworld Platinum USB / Analysis Plus PC / Gotham 4/4 XLR / AQ spkr / Revelation audiolabs I2s | Server Streamer: Aqua LinQ using HQP modules > I2s to Aqua La Scala

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > VLINK 192 > Yamaha RX integrated > Polk audio signature Monitors >12" sub

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Need a little education in Class D? What's the latest (and greatest) ?