Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What Visual Adds To The Audio Experience

In these days of social isolation, I have been enjoying broadcasts of the Berlin Philharmonic and the Metropolitan Opera via streaming.

The audio is not hi-Rez, yet when you combine the video with the (low res) audio, the experience is more enjoyable than just the audio alone.

Hi Rez audio attempts to bring us closer to the performance. Yet, we are missing a HUGE Part of that performance: the visual. With visual, we no longer need to close our eyes to attempt to see where the strings or wind instruments are located. You see them with your eyes and the sound follows. It is as if the brain attaches the image to the sound.

And if you have a multichannel system, all of the speakers can give you a great sense of the venue, acoustics and all.

When we listen to music with only two speakers in stereo, we are asking our brains to recreate in our minds a lot of stuff: imaging, spacing, venue, etc. But when we actually SEE the performance, we are adding another sense (our eyes) to the experience and we no longer need to depend on just our ears.
    When it is well done (Berlin Philharmonic vídeo streaming for example), you don’t need the highest audio quality to enjoy an amazing experience.

Interested to read your thoughts on this.

Re: What Visual Adds To The Audio Experience

Nothing
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

A LP jacket
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I would agree. When I added 7.2 to our living room a number of years ago I went with a relatively basic system. I found that when watching the screen I didn't need extremely accurate audio. Just enough to fill the space with appropriate sound. I ended getting rid of both subs as i got tired of looking at big black boxes in the living room and have never missed them. That said we don't watch much that has mandatory sub sounds.

As for my listening room I tried to keep it rather monotone with limited visual distractions. The sound and my brain are what creates the picture.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

XV-1s avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    XV-1s avatar
    What Visual Adds To The Audio ExperienceWhat Visual Adds To The Audio Experience

Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    I would agree. When I added 7.2 to our living room a number of years ago I went with a relatively basic system. I found that when watching the screen I didn't need extremely accurate audio. Just enough to fill the space with appropriate sound. I ended getting rid of both subs as i got tired of looking at big black boxes in the living room and have never missed them. That said we don't watch much that has mandatory sub sounds.

As for my listening room I tried to keep it rather monotone with limited visual distractions. The sound and my brain are what creates the picture.
    It is possible, however, to have both
    home theater and 2-ch audio combined into the same room sharing speakers and subs. That’s what I have done.

Streaming concerts recorded live from the Berlin Philharmonic, is truly an amazing experience. I am using the same front speakers that I use for listening to 2-channel music.

The director of video (or someone working there) is reading the score and they know in real time when to switch the camera to a soloist. No more trying to imagine or guess where the sound is coming from. The visual experience brings immediacy to that passage of music.

Of course, The need for visuals is much more apparent in opera. Opera is intended both for aural AND visual enjoyment (the orchestra is actually hidden in a pit; not to be seen!). Listening to Aida no matter how good a 2-ch audio system cannot comprare to watching it using the same audio system plus the video.

Along the lines of two heads are better than one, it can be said that two senses are better than one. What Visual Adds To The Audio Experience

At one time I was trying to devise an A/B speaker box so I could use my 2 channel for audio, but also utilize my 5 way surround with my main speakers. I gave up and got a sound bar. Now I don't even use the sound bar and just use the tv speakers.

But I get the music video is entertaining. I grew up on MTV. I have been to stores running the 5 and 7 channel B&W systems. There darn nice. As an all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    At one time I was trying to devise an A/B speaker box so I could use my 2 channel for audio, but also utilize my 5 way surround with my main speakers. I gave up and got a sound bar. Now I don't even use the sound bar and just use the tv speakers.

But I get the music video is entertaining. I grew up on MTV. I have been to stores running the 5 and 7 channel B&W systems. There darn nice. As an all around.
    IME, the key to having a home theater and a 2-ch coexisting with each other with NO compromises on either system is to have a multichannel digital A/V preamp with analog bypass.

The digital preamp acts as a switch box for all your 2-ch analog signals (phono, tape, audio). That allows you to use whatever 2-ch analog sources/equipment you want, send the analog signals to the preamp, and listen to your music with your main speakers unchanged by the digital preamp.

If you have a digital video/audio source (say internet streaming via AppleTV, Roku, etc.), then the digital signal goes directly to the digital preamp for processing. But the sound comes from the same set of speakers plus surrounds (if you have surrounds).

The digital preamp does not have a built in DAC as good as my stand-alone DAC; nor does it have a phono preamp. So I use a separate DAC for my digital audio sources (Qobuz, Tidal, ripped discs, etc.) and send the converted balanced analog to the digital preamp. I do the same with a stand alone phono preamp.

my preference is this visual......eyes not fully shut......in my zen state....

Attached Images Attached Images

Nicoff, you just made me think, put a digital preamp before my 2 channel audio. That would work.

Nicoff, you just made me think, put a digital preamp before my 2 channel audio. That would work.
    My analog feeds the digital preamp. The 2-ch bypass feature is a must have in my case.
    All my speakers are connected directly to the digital preamp.

For me, I would go the other way. That way 2 channel is only 2 channel. Eventually I would know the correct setting on my 2 channel pre to blend the volume with the additional 3 channels. But its not happening any time soon. My PAP Teio 15 horn don't sound good as TV. The Sonus Faber were much better for that purpose.

For me, I would go the other way. That way 2 channel is only 2 channel. Eventually I would know the correct setting on my 2 channel pre to blend the volume with the additional 3 channels.
    Yes, as long you properly set the volume for blending (you would be using two different volumes) you can do it that way too! Give it a try when you can!

[QUOTE=nicoff;298632]It is possible, however, to have both
    home theater and 2-ch audio combined into the same room speakers and subs. That’s what I have done.[/QUOTE

I agree they can exist in the same room. Mine just happen to be in separate rooms. My need for higher end sound for listening to music doesn’t carryover to the living room when the TV is on.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team