Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My girlfriend is not happy

Over the last few years my system has involved a bit, new amps, speakers, streamer etc. About 2 or 3 days ago she told me that she isn't happy with the sound of my system. I find it hard to criticise my own system. Maybe it is a case of Stockholm syndrome. According to my girlfriend it lacks some sparkle some brightness and the lower octaves are too present. To be honest I am not really sure what to do about it. My system is in my signature. Getting different cables might change a nuance or two but will have no major impact. Say pure hypothetically. If I were to sell my speakers and buy something like Magico S3 mkI (the mkII second hand are rare and expensive) or even S5 mkI. Would that help?

My room is about 4m wide and 7meters long, the ceiling would about 2.5meter (pure guess for ceiling height).

I listen to music like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Leonard Cohen, Antimatter, Anathema, and some stoner-rock/metal, doom metal, post-metal, Einsturzende Neubauten, Wrekmeister Harmonies. My girlfriend prefers UB40, Alanis Morissette, Heather Nova, etcetera. We don't listen to any jazz or blues.

A while back we had a pair of Blumenhofer FS2 mkI in house. I had some problems placing these. But we both preferred the mid/highs of these. Maybe I should have given these a better chance.

So what would you do? Any tips or ideas?
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Audioshark

Re: My girlfriend is not happy

What about the new Magico A5’s?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

just a thought... if the tubes in your pre and power amps have a lot of hours on them, then that is the first thing i would think about. maybe it is time for re-tubing?
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    What about the new Magico A5’s?
    The A5 costs €30k for a pair. Say if I were to change my speakers that is about double the amount I would be able to spend. Say I can sell my X5 for 8k to 10k I guesd. A pair of second hand S3 mkI costs about 12 to 14k. That would be affordable. The A3 is about 15k.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    just a thought... if the tubes in your pre and power amps have a lot of hours on them, then that is the first thing i would think about. maybe it is time for re-tubing?
    Maybe the power tubes. All pre amp and driver tubes have been replaced. Mostly by Psvane except for ECC88 if I remember correctly.

My amps have 4 KT120s per amp. What would KT150 do? I know my amps can handle them but I won't get more power. Or how about KT88, KT90 etcetera.

I've found out something. My girlfriend listens for about an hour. But when the amps are cold it takes about half an hour before they start sounding good.

Next I moved speakers closer together. That helped a bit. Now I removed Herbie's Giant Fat Slider. That cleared things up a bit more, made things tighter.

In each corners behind the speakers I have a single Daad 4 bass trap. I would like to experiment with a second Daad4 on top of that one.

I just wondering... maybe, just maybe the GF is trying to tell you something else..

My guess is smaller speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jozua View Post
    I just wondering... maybe, just maybe the GF is trying to tell you something else..

My guess is smaller speakers?

No she is fine with the speakers.

Sounds like a set up issue. Have you selected your listening position to achieve the smoothest bass? Can be done by ear, but is best done by measurement IMO.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

You can change your girlfriend.

I wouldn't immediately jump to new speakers as the best solution. While it may turn out to be the case, it's not entirely clear to me that what your girlfriend is objecting to is primarily a result of the speakers or something that could only be addressed by changing the speakers. After all, trying out and buying new speakers is pretty expensive and requires more effort than doing some other initial experimentation or trying smaller components (electronics), which could help narrow things down.

Three things I can think of that you could try relatively inexpensively, where even if it turns out not to address the problem could help you figure out the best next step:

1. If the speakers are not toed-in with the tweeters on-axis with the listener's ears, you might try that.

2. The Aurender A10 uses the AKM4490, and your girlfriend may prefer something like an ESS-based DAC instead—maybe you can borrow one or get an inexpensive used one just to see if the general change in tonal balance appeals to her before picking up a better quality ESS-based DAC. Having two DACs in the system also means you could switch back to the A10's internal DAC if that's your personal preference.

3. If it really is just too much bass and lack of treble energy, adding some PEQ or room correction could "fix" everything without changing any of your hardware components. If the issue is mostly a function of the room (as hinted by repositioning the speakers), new speakers will still be influenced in the same way and even harder to evaluate outside of your own room.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

The room is the most overlooked component. Had a friend who worked in a high end shop up North and for about a 6 year period, I did deliveries and installs with him. I can't tell how how many decent pairs of speakers with good equipment sounded like crap since the room was never taken into account. People would tend to buy what was recommended in magazines without really doing their own homework as to what might work better. If you have a smart phone, you can get an App - e.g. https://studiosixdigital.com/audioto...iday-2019.html A microphone for it (phone or tablet) that won't break the bank can be found at places like - https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...droid--390-810 or if you prefer the PC route, Room EQ Wizard is free - http://www.roomeqwizard.com/ and you can get a USB mic for the PC - as suggested in the prior link.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Agree about room being a HUGE FACTOR.

BEFORE you go out and spend tons of money on speakers or other equipment you should try other (cheaper) options. I can think of two things to try.
    1. Move the speakers and seating position and find the best possible position. Try the sumiko, cardas, vsndersteen, or any other methods.
    2. Once you have the best location possible, then try out digital room correction.

Item 1 will only cost you time. Item 2, depending on your existing equipment and ability to use room correction software, may also cost you time only.

You can spend thousands on equipment, cables, etc. and not be to achieve what 1 and 2 above can give you for very little money spent.

PS. One more thought: what about having a virtual visit to your home by an audio expert who could give you good advice? I am thinking of Jim Smith who posts on this site. Look him up!

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    You can change your girlfriend.
    Nice set of headphones for her.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Quote Originally Posted by MPW View Post
    Sounds like a set up issue. Have you selected your listening position to achieve the smoothest bass? Can be done by ear, but is best done by measurement IMO.
    Any tips and or ideas how to do those measurement?

You can try Phil A's (post#12) recommendation, REW (http://www.roomeqwizard.com) it is free software, only a calibrated USB microphone required (does not have to be expensive)
    Moon 700i V2, YG Acoustics Hailey, Aurender N10, dCS Rossini, Oppo BDP103D (audiopraise board), Ansuz Mainz 8 D2

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    Maybe the power tubes. All pre amp and driver tubes have been replaced. Mostly by Psvane except for ECC88 if I remember correctly.

My amps have 4 KT120s per amp. What would KT150 do? I know my amps can handle them but I won't get more power. Or how about KT88, KT90 etcetera.
    KT150 appear to be more extended in both treble and bass. However, if the amp is not built around these tubes, a switch may not be worth it. A friend has CAT JL7 mono blocks and ordered them with KT150. Yet it turns out the amps sound better with KT120 tubes around which they are designed. My own Octave RE320 is designed around the KT150 tubes, so that is what I am going with and it sounds excellent. Your Octave MRE 130 mono blocks may not fare so well with KT150, or perhaps they do. You could try it, but I would follow the other options suggested first, starting with room and speaker set-up. And yes, do make sure your KT120 power tubes have not degraded.

I have spent perhaps most of my audiophile effort on my room, or at least as much as on components, and I prefer to tweak tonal balance by changes in room acoustics (that can include carpeting) and speaker toe in/out, i.e. all plainly on an acoustic basis. Stay away from tweaking tonal balance with cables, that's an exquisitely bad idea in my view, since any deviation from neutral will inevitably reduce resolution.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

I wouldn't change the speakers.
    Raidho with treble problems?

I would bet on amplification and then on cables, especially power cables.

But first of all: remove the power distributor and listen ...

Audioshark

I re-read your first post again vs your system signature. The Raidho speakers and similar designs, always suffer from the same problems - a disconnected, from an integration standpoint, tweeter (it’s design and shape is inherently different from the rest of the speaker) and a overblown mid-bass. I’m not saying the tweeter is bad, it’s not, but ribbon’s are difficult to properly integrate with the rest of the speaker.

The Raidho voicing, as well as another well known brand, is really designed for classical. When you play other types of music, you really notice the weaknesses. But when you play classical, they sound glorious. That Cello is rich and deep. The stand up bass in Jazz? Bloated. I honestly think a more balanced, coherent speaker would be the way to go IMO. The S3’s or S5’s would be excellent and suitable for all genres.

I don’t know your market, but you may want to consider Vivid as well. Even a pair of G2 S1’s or G3 S1’s since buying new seems out of the question for you.

This is just my opinion of course. YMMV.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I re-read your first post again vs your system signature. The Raidho speakers and similar designs, always suffer from the same problems - a disconnected, from an integration standpoint, tweeter (it’s design and shape is inherently different from the rest of the speaker) and a overblown mid-bass. I’m not saying the tweeter is bad, it’s not, but ribbon’s are difficult to properly integrate with the rest of the speaker.

The Raidho voicing, as well as another well known brand, is really designed for classical. When you play other types of music, you really notice the weaknesses. But when you play classical, they sound glorious. That Cello is rich and deep. The stand up bass in Jazz? Bloated. I honestly think a more balanced, coherent speaker would be the way to go IMO. The S3’s or S5’s would be excellent and suitable for all genres.

I don’t know your market, but you may want to consider Vivid as well. Even a pair of G2 S1’s or G3 S1’s since buying new seems out of the question for you.

I moved from C1.1's to S5mk2 and am never looking back - while it was a costly upgrade it was definately worth it. I will say the magicos don't have the beauty that ribbons project but they do everything else so well that you have a cohesive sound with detail/resolution and timbre. pair with some class a amps (such as your octave) and you'll probably have a killer system.

In my experience, for that ribbon magic you probably gotta spend big bucks to out do the raidho: mbl101 emk2 was like a best of both worlds for me in a magico strengths meets raidho strengths way, zellatons were fantastic with that beautiful tone, and alsyvox was like listening to a very large raidho ribbon. yes none of these are really pure ribbon designs but to my ears they capture that magic that ribbons have. all have better bass integration than the c1.1. for what it's worth, i loved that speaker and still remember it fondly - there is just better out there for the price

Any tips and or ideas how to do those measurement?
    I use REW (Room EQ Wizard) which is a free download. The measurement microphone I use is UMIK-1 which is $75. In a nutshell, measure the frequency response below 250Hz every 6" through the room to get a feel for the peaks and dips at various frequencies and select the position that has the smoothest response (smallest variation between peaks and dips). Of course, listen to ensure that what you are hearing matches the measurements, but it should. Then adjust speakers around new listening position. Definitely recommend the book, Get Better Sound, by Jim Smith for further details. Setting the listening position first is critical. Speaker position should always be second. Hope that helps!
    Morgan

This link below is a pretty good resource to get started in room measurement. Basic low frequency response measurement is pretty straightforward, but this starts to get into the next level. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in room measurements to start with. Getting the smoothest bass in your room by selecting the best position for your chair will yield significant benefits without going overboard.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/wp-..._standards.pdf
    Morgan

The A5 costs €30k for a pair. Say if I were to change my speakers that is about double the amount I would be able to spend. Say I can sell my X5 for 8k to 10k I guesd. A pair of second hand S3 mkI costs about 12 to 14k. That would be affordable. The A3 is about 15k.
    If you can find S3 mk1 for less than A3, go for it. I think S3 mk1 still is a lot more speaker than A3.

For reference my living room:

Attached Images Attached Images

You said you moved the speakers around a bit. Did you try moving your listening seat forward to see what that does?

Also, as was suggested earlier new set of power tubes will not break the bank.

It is also possible that you and your girlfriend like a different type of sound, if you are happy with what you currently have.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Another thing that springs to my mind is , that it might be worth going to some Hi-Fi shops ( your girlfriend and you ) and listen to different setups / speakers to see if you both like the same sound .
    And if you both like the same sound in a system try to see where your own setup differs from what you hear in the shop.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

my girlfriend it lacks some sparkle some brightness and the lower octaves are too present
    That's symbiotic. A peak in the bass will obscure/dull the highs.
    As others have suggested, take the guesswork out, get a U-mik and free REW, measure. You'll see the peak(s) that need to be mitigated.
    Buy, borrow or steal a MiniDSP 2X4HD or RME ADI-2 for a temporary(?) hardware solution inserted in system. Or find software that has EQ. Foobar2000 for example, is free. Cut down the bass peaks (don't touch anything else). Listen with GF.
    Have fun.

cheers,

AJ

For reference my living room:
    I think you need to put the DAAD 4 acoustic treatments in the actual corners of the room, right up against the two walls of the corner.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

The first and by far least expensive thing to do is get Jim Smith's book, "Get Better Sound". A great reference for setting up and configuring your system and most importantly, your room.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mordante,

At least your girlfriend likes to listen to music - thats not necessarily the case for many others in here…. So count your blessings!

A carpet on the floor in front of the speakers would also be a cheap test, worked wonders in my room, for what its worth.

Take Care,

Soren

put the bass traps in the corner touching the wall for a try.

It’s difficult to tell from the above photo but it looks as though the distance from the listening chair to the speakers exceeds the distance between the speakers. Is that correct? If that’s the case you’ve not followed the manufacturers recommended placement / set up instructions.

As mentioned by others try moving your listening chair to find a spot which yields the flattest and most linear bass response. While it can be done by ear, measurements are very helpful. Personally I find using a combination listening by ear and measurements indispensable. Good bass can frequently have more to do with room interaction than it does with loudspeaker brand or price – so changing your speakers may not yield the result you aspire to. A superior plan is to attempt unlocking the full potential of what you already have.

I’m also surprised to read your girlfriend’s comments about the tweeter lacking “sparkle” and “brightness”. In my experience, the Raidho tweeter is a work of art. Its frequency range and resolving abilities are very high and as mentioned in this thread even well-known loudspeaker brands using conventional dome tweeters lack the beauty and magic that ribbons project. The Raidho ribbon sounds present and alive.

Ps. I’m not familiar with the bass traps you are using but those that I am familiar with need to be physically placed in / against the corner boundary.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    I’m also surprised to read your girlfriend’s comments about the tweeter lacking “sparkle” and “brightness”. In my experience, the Raidho tweeter is a work of art.
    If/when he measures and then surgically mitigates large bass peak(s) (via trivially easy EQ of said peaks) - will do wonders for the treble.

Maybe stupid idea but why for the starter you don't place a rug on the floor as looking at the room as such, you have huge window behind speakers, floor is "naked" so lots of big reflection areas overall...I guess when you close the curtains behind, there are some changes in SQ so why not also trying with the floor and move from there as others suggested...
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Go audition some stuff and take her with you.
    Amplifier: Pass Labs INT 250 integrated.

DAC/Streamer: MSB Discrete Dual Power Supply.

Server: Roon Nucleus with lifetime subscription.

Speakers: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary
    Model.

Headphones/Amp: Focal Stellia phones, NAIM Uniti Atom Headphone Edition headphone amp/music player/server/streamer.

Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables,
    Mackenzie interconnects.

Speaker Stands: HiFi Man.

Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Go audition some stuff and take her with you.
    And let her pay for it and she will be happy. I did that for my wife's car years ago and she still loves her car.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Looks like you have a near full loom of Ansuz gear. Any reason you haven’t gotten Ansuz speaker cables? Based on what I have been told full loom works well with Ansuz given their focus in inductance. I know the Rocket 88s fairly well and they are fairly entry level for AQ. You may want to borrow or try out a higher gauge cable. I went from Rocket 88s to older Mont Blanc and the sound was much more 3D and balanced. Then moved up all the way to Thunderbirds over the years and the differences were all very noticeable especially with clarity and transparency.

Edit: Want to add with Raidho speakers toe in is really important. If I am not mistaken they need to point to your shoulders. Otherwise highs may be impacted.
    -----------------------------------------
    Borresen 02, Virtus RI-101, Ansuz A2 loom

Quick update

1) Some people have suggested putting a rug on the floor. While this might help, it will create another problem. I use floor heating so a rug would insulate my floor and could even cause overheating

2) Cables all of the powercords are by Ansuz. Reason I haven't gone full Ansuz is costs. My speaker cable are the first to be replaced for a Ansuz when the funds are there. My 6meter long Purist Audio interlink. That might be costly. But I might place my setup differently so that I can use a 2 or 3 meter interlink.

3) Yesterday the owner of A10 audio and Imprezza who is active on this forum came over.
    a) We moved the speakers to a different position. A bit wider closer to the wall. Distance to the rear wall was not changed this helped for the soundstage
    b) The Daad4 bass traps were stacked on top of each other in a different corner. We listened in each corner where the most bass was build up and placed both bass traps there. This really helped a lot
    c) 3 Ansuz A series Darkz were placed under my preamp. hard to say what this did. It created a bit more rest, less noise. Hard to explain
    d) An Ansuz A series ethernet cable replaced my stock CAT6A cable. Not sure yet if this helped much. Will need to listen a bit more.

4) I still have a bass problem in the room. When people with a lower voice are speaking you can hear that the room amplifies it. A kind a rumble/echo. Not really sure how to deal with that. I don't want to damp too much. I'm afraid more absorption in the bass will also mean absorption in mid/high and I don't want that.

I need to google what the frequencies of the male voice are and see if any absorption is available for that. Maybe the GIK CT Alpha Series Corner Bass might be a good solution GIK in general look like they have good products. Like the 4A Alpha Pro Series Bass Trap Diffusor / Absorber.

All the tweaks did help and it really sounds better now. But the room still needs more work.

Super Moderator

Looks like you are making some great changes and heading in the right direction. Baby steps. Good luck with the next fixes.

Thank you for the update.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

The raidho demo's have the speakers along the long wall close to corners with extreme toe in and nearfield listening, like the speakers 12-14 ft apart 2'x2' or so from the corners and chairs lined up 6-8' off the front wall and the sound is glorious.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Quick update

1) Some people have suggested putting a rug on the floor. While this might help, it will create another problem. I use floor heating so a rug would insulate my floor and could even cause overheating

2) Cables all of the powercords are by Ansuz. Reason I haven't gone full Ansuz is costs. My speaker cable are the first to be replaced for a Ansuz when the funds are there. My 6meter long Purist Audio interlink. That might be costly. But I might place my setup differently so that I can use a 2 or 3 meter interlink.
    Any room improvements you can do is probably likely to have bigger effect than any cable or other tweaks you add, but when sharing the living room I know it's easier said than done sometimes. We also have heating in our wooden floor and we have a big rug but it's not very thick and definitely not a problem for the heating.

If you can hear the room amplify when someone is speaking I don't think you need to worry about overdamping yet...

I'm selling my 2m Ansuz A2 speaker cables if you're interested, just PM me and we'll work something out.
    Speakers: Kroma Thais. Amplifier: Ypsilon Phaethon. Digital: LampizatOr Baltic 3, Lumin U1 Mini. Analog: MoFi Ultradeck, PS Audio Stellar Phono.
    Other: Audio-Technica ART9XI, Ansuz, Vertere, Sablon Audio USB/Ethernet/DC, Paul Hynes, IsoAcoustic, UpTone EtherREGEN.

my recommendation is to make sure your room is properly treated. too much bass can be a symptom of the room.

My parents house has floor heating, using hot water pipes under the floor, and we used rugs all over the place. I imagine it should be okay but you could check with an expert.
    4) I still have a bass problem in the room. When people with a lower voice are speaking you can hear that the room amplifies it. A kind a rumble/echo. Not really sure how to deal with that. I don't want to damp too much. I'm afraid more absorption in the bass will also mean absorption in mid/high and I don't want that.
    I agree with some of the other posters in saying that absorbing a wider range of frequencies is very likely to be an overall improvement. From your description, it's unlikely you only have a problem with bass frequencies, and more likely that the bass issues are simply the most noticeable to you right now.
    Neko Audio

I'm in contact with GIK Europe to see what would work for me. There are a couple bass traps that they sell. But I want to make sure I get the correct traps. The Tri-Trap © Corner Bass Trap looks good.

My current idea is to buy

2 Tri-Trap © Corner Bass Trap
    2 or 4 60*120cm 2" wall panels
    2 more Daad4 bass traps

The tri traps go into the corner with the most bass build up. The wall panel go on the first reflection point. The Daad4 will go on the first reflection point on the opposite wall of the speaker.

This is all dependent on my budget and if my girlfriend will allow so may traps in our living room.

thumbsup Re: My girlfriend is not happy

Hi, having a quick look at your system,do not know your power/pre amps, but you could try demoing a pair of black boxes for your MRE 130 amps, they are supposed to make a real difference but at $7500, not cheap,Octave MRE 130 Monoblocks – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE
    also you need to get rid of those bare walls, wood floor bare walls glass at the back, far to active for a hifi room, the sound will bounce all over the place,also in the review, as above, it states the amps need at least 45 mins to come on song, so listening for an hour is not recommended, have you tried to borrow a good cd player and see what the sound is like, also not a fan of side firing woofers, have you tried swapping them around, cheers

That room looks way too lively and is probably echoing like a son of a gun . That would drive me nuts . Clap you hands and listen close and see if it sustains .

The set up looks great but the room seems so 'hard' in regard to sound but your problem seems the opposite, its a bit of an enigma.

I've bought 2 more DAAD4 and right now I'm experimenting with the placement of these. Also I'm in contact with GIK. My current idea is to order two 40*60cm 2A Alpha Pro Series Panel Diffusor / Absorber and place these at the first reflection point. Also some I'm looking at bass traps not sure which model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team