Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What has happened in digital recording quality in 30 years - comparing records from 1984 and 2014

Madonna - Like A Vigin.
    Produced by Nile Rogers and recorded at Power Station Records in New York. Nile was persuaded by his recording engineer to use this new “digital” recording method for the album. Recorded using a Sony 24-track digital recorder.

Christine and the Queens - Chaleur Humaine
    Self-produced at RAK Studios, 123 Studios, and Smokehouse Studios. Equipment unknown.

Came across this comparison by accident, as I revisited the very high SQ Christine and the Queens debut, and thought let’s check out some older kick-ass pop in comparison. So I played Madonna’s breakthrough album after that.

I could just not believe my ears how flat Madonna’s 100 million-seller, Nile Rogers-produced pop classic sounded compared to this French self-made album (ok, the latter was re-mixed afterwards for the US market). To boot, the Madonna album was a 24/96 Flac hi-res version, while the other one was a regular 16/44 Tidal stream.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: What has happened in digital recording quality in 30 years - comparing records from 1984 and 2014

Not sure you can blame the recording for the differences. The Madonna album is typical of a lot of 80's records - lean and mean. All her albums have the same no bass sound up to Erotica where the sound is excellent.

The mix and mastering I am guessing have a much to do with the 80's sound as the recording.

I find many modern recordings these days have gone the other way where they are almost bloated and bass driven at the expense of mid range and upper frequency clarity.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Re: What has happened in digital recording quality in 30 years - comparing records from 1984 and 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Madonna - Like A Vigin.
    Produced by Nile Rogers and recorded at Power Station Records in New York. Nile was persuaded by his recording engineer to use this new “digital” recording method for the album. Recorded using a Sony 24-track digital recorder.

Christine and the Queens - Chaleur Humaine
    Self-produced at RAK Studios, 123 Studios, and Smokehouse Studios. Equipment unknown.

Came across this comparison by accident, as I revisited the very high SQ Christine and the Queens debut, and thought let’s check out some older kick-ass pop in comparison. So I played Madonna’s breakthrough album after that.

I could just not believe my ears how flat Madonna’s 100 million-seller, Nile Rogers-produced pop classic sounded compared to this French self-made album (ok, the latter was re-mixed afterwards for the US market). To boot, the Madonna album was a 24/96 Flac hi-res version, while the other one was a regular 16/44 Tidal stream.

If you listen carefully, you will find many 16/44.1 albums trounce the so called "hi-rez" versions that too many people automatically believe are superior. They listen with their eyes instead of their ears.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I think there's a large enough sample for nearly everybody now that streaming has made so many recordings accessible that while higher resolution formats have a higher ceiling the format is just the carrier and everything else being equal just like our hi rez stereos crappy recordings only sound crappier when we put them under the microscope. Either digital has improved greatly or i'm losing my hearing or both.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Not sure you can blame the recording for the differences. The Madonna album is typical of a lot of 80's records - lean and mean. All her albums have the same no bass sound up to Erotica where the sound is excellent.

The mix and mastering I am guessing have a much to do with the 80's sound as the recording.

I find many modern recordings these days have gone the other way where they are almost bloated and bass driven at the expense of mid range and upper frequency clarity.
    Very true, typical 80’s music production crime. And some of today’s albums are overboard the other way.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    If you listen carefully, you will find many 16/44.1 albums trounce the so called "hi-rez" versions that too many people automatically believe are superior. They listen with their eyes instead of their ears.
    Have to listen to the 16/44 version and see if it any better.

If you take any CD (16/44) and upsample it, you can get the benefit of using better filters that the brick wall filters used in the past. When you do that with older recordings you may get higher dynamic range (as opposed to the compression used today) and the ability to use better filters.

Audioshark

What has happened in digital recording quality in 30 years - comparing records from 1984 and 2014

Many 16/44 files from the 80’s and 90’s is just upsampled by a Mastering Engineer using questionable quality equipment (I’ve seen it first hand). Unless they go back to the master tapes, and we have seen some of this, then the high res version may just be an upsampled version. Something we can almost all do today at home.

That being said, today, 99% of the modern recordings are done in 24/96 and the 24/192 version is once against, just an upsampled version of the 24/96 by a mastering engineer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    If you take any CD (16/44) and upsample it, you can get the benefit of using better filters that the brick wall filters used in the past. When you do that with older recordings you may get higher dynamic range (as opposed to the compression used today) and the ability to use better filters.
    Maybe what you say is true, but the upsampling is only adding noise - nothing else.

Technically you cannot make a lower resolution file a higher resolution file, comparable to a file originally created in the higher format. In any digital medium, once the resolution is reduced the information is irretrievably lost.

Maybe what you say is true, but the upsampling is only adding noise - nothing else.

Technically you cannot make a lower resolution file a higher resolution file, comparable to a file originally created in the higher format. In any digital medium, once the resolution is reduced the information is irretrievably lost.

You are correct and you also can’t increase dynamic range through upsampling.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I still enjoy my old LP's, and CD's and my downloaded copied CD's to a file. I just like the music My toe still taps on an old song vs and a remastered song.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Agree that we can not create something that was not there to start with. I am upsampling and converting everything to 512DSD which moves the noise to a higher frequency above 22kz. That is where the better filters are needed to get rid of the noise.

Agree that we can not create something that was not there to start with. I am upsampling and converting everything to 512DSD which moves the noise to a higher frequency above 22kz. That is where the better filters are needed to get rid of the noise.
    Sure, I’m familiar with that process.

However, that noise is DSD-format specific and is created in the DSD conversion process as part of the formatting. You can indeed move it to the non-audible spectrum by upsampling DSD into higher bit rate DSD.

But why on earth would you want to convert a PCM file into DSD, and then upsample? Just keep the file in PCM and you don’t have the noise problem.

This is a bit similar to the upsampling question in the previous comment: DSD only offers a SQ benefit if the material has been originally recorded in DSD. You cannot get that inherent benefit by converting the file to DSD afterwards, because the higher bit rate information is not there.

But why on earth would you want to convert a PCM file into DSD, and then upsample? Just keep the file in PCM and you don’t have the noise problem.

This is a bit similar to the upsampling question in the previous comment: DSD only offers a SQ benefit if the material has been originally recorded in DSD. You cannot get that inherent benefit by converting the file to DSD afterwards, because the higher bit rate information is not there.
    I have tried it both ways. My DAC has separate paths for PCM files and DSD files. It will convert to analog native files in either format. The only possible explanation that I have for preferring the DSD files is that my DAC may have a better DSD digital-to-analog converter. But I enjoy both of them in their native (albeit upsampled) format.

With PCM files, I like to start with 44.1 files. I then take them to 352.8 (a whole multiple of 8) instead of 384.

I have tried it both ways. My DAC has separate paths for PCM files and DSD files. It will convert to analog native files in either format. The only possible explanation that I have for preferring the DSD files is that my DAC may have a better DSD digital-to-analog converter. But I enjoy both of them in their native (albeit upsampled) format.

With PCM files, I like to start with 44.1 files. I then take them to 352.8 (a whole multiple of 8) instead of 384.
    What I think you are saying is if the original file was 16/44.1 you take it to 352. If the original file was 24/48 you end up with 384. Both are DXD.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    What I think you are saying is if the original file was 16/44.1 you take it to 352. If the original file was 24/48 you end up with 384. Both are DXD.
    Exactly. Upsampling to whole integers.
    44.1 x 8 = 352.8
    48 x 8 = 384

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team