Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Solid Tech rack of silence, sand, rice, something else?

Hi,

I now have two ROS (racks of silence) in my living room. The legs are hollow. I've been thinking of filling them with something. Something like sand. Do any of you have tips on what to use? I would prefer to use bags and lower them into the legs so it's easier to remove them, would this be a bad idea? Maybe Scubapro Eco Weights Softlood or maybe something similar.

Anyone here with any tips?
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Re: Solid Tech rack of silence, sand, rice, something else?

Please, please do not use lead shot. That would make me go into my NO Lead rant.

Hmm. The Rack of Silence is based on a low-mass concept, designed to enable resonance from the equipment to be quickly and efficiently dispersed. By adding significant mass you are heading in a different direction to the design philosophy.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

I recommend Poly Pellets, sold at craft store retailers like Joann and Michael's. Joann is cheaper and has a greater range of package sizes.

Poly Pellets are weighted, polypropylene pellets. I used them in speaker stands, recently.

I chose them because they are clean and non-toxic, aren't food based (like often recommended rice), they aren't an organic material that could be a source of food for pests or absorb moisture (like sometimes recommended kitty litter), and they don't make a mess when filling or removing. They're also made in the USA, I think.

They're sold in various size packages and I was happy with the price and convenience of the 6 pound bag from Joann.

I'd imagine they damp and/or diffuse vibration due to their shape, material, and weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Christian

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest & Iconoclast interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D-10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

Down to $2/pound for this brand.

https://www.amazon.com/Weighted-Blan.../dp/B01LMGXMJ6

I like the Poly-Pellets suggestion. Material similar to Poly-Pellets would be clean and safe to handle. Put it in plastic bags or socks tied with a string to retrieve them from the rack when desired.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Hmm. The Rack of Silence is based on a low-mass concept, designed to enable resonance from the equipment to be quickly and efficiently dispersed. By adding significant mass you are heading in a different direction to the design philosophy.
    I've contacted the manufacturer. They recommend using 0.25mm sand. But I think I would prefer some PP pellets. I'll have a look around to see what is available in the Netherlands.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

From the Manual linked to from Audio Advisor

Attached Images Attached Images
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    Please, please do not use lead shot. That would make me go into my NO Lead rant.
    I wasn't aware that "lead shot" was still able to be bought??

steel shot works; but be prepared to remove it if it causes your sound to be dead. you can find it at any gun shop. in 2004 i added steel shot to the legs of my Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack. it removed all the life from the music. it was dead sounding. i had to remove the steel shot and gave it to a member of my local audio club. i did not want to have a bag of steel shot sitting around.

i could have bought lead shot at the time, but wanted nothing to do with it.

what i discovered was if you have a concrete floor then the added mass over-damps things. where the added mass can help, is with a suspended wood floor, where it will lower the rack resonance by mass loading. so your floor will be a significant issue of what type of rack and loading works well for music. just don't be wedded to any concept, only to the best sound. you have to see how it sounds. lower noise or resonance is not the only issue, what ever brings the music to life is the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    steel shot works; but be prepared to remove it if it causes your sound to be dead. you can find it at any gun shop. in 2004 i added steel shot to the legs of my Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack. it removed all the life from the music. it was dead sounding. i had to remove the steel shot and gave it to a member of my local audio club. i did not want to have a bag of steel shot sitting around.

i could have bought lead shot at the time, but wanted nothing to do with it.

what i discovered was if you have a concrete floor then the added mass over-damps things. where the added mass can help, is with a suspended wood floor, where it will lower the rack resonance by mass loading. so your floor will be a significant issue of what type of rack and loading works well for music. just don't be wedded to any concept, only to the best sound. you have to see how it sounds. lower noise or resonance is not the only issue, what ever brings the music to life is the idea.
    That is good info. I have a concrete floor with a oak parquet floor on top.

I'm "worried" about what you said that is why I would like to use bags and not just pour is in.

The bottom shelf of my rack has maybe 130 album on it. I figure they are loading the rack so I keep them there. Im on a wood floor over wood ibeam. The floor is stiff but resonant.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    I wasn't aware that "lead shot" was still able to be bought??
    being a competitive shotgun shooter and reloader I have 500-1000 lbs on hand at any given time. Sold in 25# bags.
    I've used a mix of sand (pool filter variety) and lead shot in my Totem Arro's with great results
    Cheers ! …. Dave

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Solid Tech rack of silence, sand, rice, something else?