Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Audioshark

Roon, is it just me?

I have been a big fan of Roon since being a beta tester way back when. But I have to say, of late, the recent software updates to Roon has become increasingly buggy. From music playback just stopping for no reason, to the constant hangups and hiccups and lockups
    I love the Roon interface and the search capabilities are second to none, but these constant Roon hang ups are really starting to frustrate me. We cannot effectively do a demo when we encounter these problems.

We are forever rebooting the Nucleus+ in the store because it just hangs. It didn't use to do that and I'm not sure if it has to do with the recent upgrades/updates or what?

Has anyone found it to be increasingly buggy lately? I sure hope they do fix it. For now, I'll stick with the Lumin app and Aurender apps. Less is more.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Roon, is it just me?

I haven’t had any problems with my Roon setup, although I have a very basic configuration. I have both Roon core and music storage running on a Mac Mini. I don’t do any upsampling and use Tidal for streaming. Most of the time I use only a single playback device but occasionally have three. Perhaps my lack of problems is related to my simplistic utilization of Roon.
    Gary
    Main: Lumin A1, Accuphase E-650, Tannoy Canterbury GR, Shunyata, Audience
    Secondary: Lumin M1, Linton Heritage, Shunyata, Audience

I have not noticed any issues with Roon or had to reboot the core recently.
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have been a big fan of Roon since being a beta tester way back when. But I have to say, of late, the recent software updates to Roon has become increasingly buggy. From music playback just stopping for no reason, to the constant hangups and hiccups and lockups
    I love the Roon interface and the search capabilities are second to none, but these constant Roon hang ups are really starting to frustrate me. We cannot effectively do a demo when we encounter these problems.

We are forever rebooting the Nucleus+ in the store because it just hangs. It didn't use to do that and I'm not sure if it has to do with the recent upgrades/updates or what?

Has anyone found it to be increasingly buggy lately? I sure hope they do fix it. For now, I'll stick with the Lumin app and Aurender apps. Less is more.
    Yes, many software updates lately. The giveaway that there’s been an update is when the Roon volume control disappears. It has not been a big problem for me. First, I power off and then power on my Roon Nucleus Plus. Then I power off and then power on my Select DAC. That usually solves the problem. Sometimes I need to sign on to Tidal again too.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

I have zero issues with Roon. Like some others here, my digital setup is straightforward and simple. I don’t have any digital dingleberries in my digital rig.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

i have also not experienced those or any other issues with roon performance. however, my implementation is (by design) minimalist...

modem --> router --> fmc --> transport [roon core] --> usb dac

local file storage is on the transport.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

No problems here.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

I have those exact issues that you are describing Mike.
    As you know, I got my Nucleus+ fairly recently and had to migrate the core from my PC to the Nucleus+.
    I assumed the issues were about something I had done wrong but reading your description leaves me thinking it may be the software.
    John

Wondering if it is the Nucleus having an issue?

I have not experienced any issues what so ever. I have all files stored locally on my machine and have Roon handing off to HQPlayer to render the music.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

No problems here either and I have a more complex set up: running Roon and HQP (upsampling all to DSD512 and using machine intensive filters plus DSP correction) on a Windows 10 PC.

I do not have automatic updates activated. That allows me to pick when I want to do the updates. I have had issues with automatic updates in the past I much prefer to update manually when I know that any wrinkles of the newest version have been ironed out.

Btw, the recent improvements of Roon Radio are noticeable. The music recommendations have improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Wondering if it is the Nucleus having an issue?
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    ...I do not have automatic updates activated. That allows me to pick when I want to do the updates. I have had issues with automatic updates in the past I much prefer to update manually when I know that any wrinkles of the newest version have been ironed out.

Btw, the recent improvements of Roon Radio are noticeable. The music recommendations have improved.
    +1

i also do not enable automatic updates. before installing the update, i always go to the roon community site to see if there are any issues others are experiencing.

imo, at this point roon has the best recommendation engine of any streaming service -- audio or video.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

I often have to reboot my sonictransporter after a Roon update because the Tidal login won’t work until I do!
    Ron

Amplification: Sugden Signature A21SE integrated amp, LUMIN M1
    Digital Source: Sonictransporter i5 Roon core, Metrum Ambre streamer, Sonnet Morpheus DAC
    Analog Source: Clearaudio Concept Wood with Satisfy tonearm, nagaoka mp-200 cart, Graham Slee Reflex Gold phono pre
    Speakers: Revival Audio Atalante 3, DeVore 3XL
    Cabling/power: Auditorium speaker, Audience RCA, Audioquest Niagara, Shunyata, Audience PCs

Audioshark

For me, it’s buggy as hell at home and in the store lately and I have removed any and all “gizmos”. Same buggy stuff. Meanwhile the Lumin and Aurender apps run flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Haven't had a single issue or reboot with Roon in a long. long time. It took me a long time to get all of my devices working together. The upgrade to the fiber optic connection from my switch to the dCS Upsampler was the final piece of the puzzle.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

We haven't had any problems. Roon Core is running on an Intel NUC dedicated to A/V duties, and Roon clients are running on iPads, iPhones, and iMacs. We have multiple Roon Ready and AirPlay-enabled endpoints active. Not doing anything fancy in Roon except some PEQ for headphones.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

My clients (iPAD, iPhone and MacBook Pro) have been slow for months...really getting to be a drag.

I’m running ROON ROCK on an Intel NUC in a fanless case with a large library and it’s completely solid. No issues whatsoever. A lot of ROON issues could be traced back to network problems in the past. This iteration has been very stable.
    PS Audio BHK Pre, BHK 300's, Direct Stream DAC, Perfect Wave Transport, P5, WOO Audio WA5-LE, Focal Utopia Headphones, Lavricables Headphone Cable, Intel NUC with ROON Rock, Matrix, HDPlex 300W LPS, EtherRegen , Custom Ethernet Cables, Wilson Audio Sasha 1, Iconoclast and Siltech Loom for Speakers, IC’s, power. NRG Custom Cables for high current, Shunyata NR for DAC, Nordost Red Dawn for peripheral devices. California Audio Technologies CAT600.2 amp.

Zero problems for me with my Nucleus. The one time I thought I was having a problem, it turned out to be my router; I rebooted it and I was good to go.

I have zero issues with Roon. I use it everyday.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Let's divide this between software and hardware, especially for those of you running Roon on "NUC"s and other machines.

For software, I think Roon seems to work fairly well, and it sounds very good when it is working well. And Roon support is also, generally, pretty good, if you don't mind waiting hours for answers, or even overnight, as is typical in the software world.

For hardware, I have a Nucleus Plus, and I call it the "Trabant". It stops playing multiple times each day, and often disappears completely from my network. All other network devices function normally. Without issue. All are brand new, including the Trabant. When it disappears, sometimes it reappears when I turn it off/on, but sometimes not. Then it reappears hours, or a day later. Rebooting the router and other devices makes no difference.

Hardware support, for this $3,100 product (including the software subscription), is the same as for the software -- meaning you post your issue on the Roon forum, and then wait for hours, or up to a day to see if someone responds with anything helpful. For me, this has been going on since my purchase, over four months now.

In their "warranty", Roon only offers an email address for customers requesting service: no phone number, and no mailing or physical address. When I email the provided address, and request an RMA, describing my long-standing problems, I get a response telling me to post on their forum. And I have been told, multiple times, that they offer no phone support. My RMA request has been ignored. Multiple times.

So, basically, they won't take back their machine for service, but expect me to pick up a wrench and fix my own car. Sadly, I'm no mechanic. And if that's the deal, fine, but state that up front so the buyer can beware.

Contrast this with an Aurender I purchased from Mike years ago. That also had a problem in the beginning, and Aurender immediately contacted me, sent me an RMA, paid shipping both ways, fixed the problem, and my X100L has worked flawlessly ever since. Flawlessly. Day after day for over six years now.

My Roon Trabant has never worked flawlessly for three days in a row.

My advice to anyone considering Roon: get the software, run it on any hardware other than something Roon offers. Or buy it directly from Roon so that you can ship it back to them and dispute the charge with your credit card company when it doesn't work properly. I bought it from a dealer I know well and like, and now he's stuck in the middle.

Well, not stuck in the middle, but he graciously offered to get involved when I recently told him about my problems. Thanks again Mike. I didn't want to burden him because none of this is his fault.

From now on, I will look closely at the warranty terms for any product I buy in this hobby. If there's no phone number, I'll get something else. And you should too.
    Jon

Sorry that you are having such an issue. I love Roon, but I use only their software, not their hardware. I have for years. I have never had an issue what so ever.

I spoke with the folks are Roon a few times a couple years ago and they seemed very good and very caring. Maybe things have changed.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I can't really speak to subjective assessments like "caring" or "good". The person responding to my issues on their support site has been courteous, but my Trabant's issues continue, unresolved.

I would be happy to speak with Roon personnel, by phone or otherwise, if ever afforded that opportunity.

I can only report objective facts, as I've done above. Caveat emptor with respect to Roon hardware products.
    Jon

Wondering if it is the Nucleus having an issue?...
    thus far, the four people reporting problems are all using a nucleus.

interestingly though, no one using the exact same software, roon ROCK, but on a "DIY nucleus" such as an intel NUC or a custom build is reporting any similar problems.

small sample size and maybe / probably a coincidence... but, at least worth considering. perhaps, something as simple as the nucleus needs to have the BIOS updated? just thinking out loud here.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    thus far, the four people reporting problems are all using a nucleus.

interestingly though, no one using the exact same software, roon ROCK, but on a "DIY nucleus" such as an intel NUC or a custom build is reporting any similar problems.

small sample size and maybe / probably a coincidence... but, at least worth considering. perhaps, something as simple as the nucleus needs to have the BIOS updated? just thinking out loud here.
    Well said. Love Roon’s features, but for sonics Lumin and Aurender apps sound better to me anyway and I don’t have the issues.

Thinking aloud here: if a nucleus cost $3k or say $2.5k, perhaps folks should consider getting a full fledged more powerful machine for about the same money.

Roon, is it just me?

I think Roon might require some TLC in system planning and specification, but if that’s done well it should be a smooth sail. (I know Mike, he knows himself around IT, it’s interesting he’s had issues.)

In my case, I studied some fora and user comments beforehand, and made sure my HW is up to the task. Especially memory is critical, I think the 4 GB in the Nucleus is too little. I do have 16 GB, and an SSD with 256 GB which serves as a temporary memory bank. I have a small business server configured as a NAS, pimped out with SSDs galore for RAM and temp memory. When there’s an automatic update I usually re-start it, but that’s it.

I also do have an Aurender sitting around idle, maybe I bring that to the summer house. I do like the Roon sound better, as it’s a bit more transparent.

Here’s a Positive Feedback review, where the non-IT-literate reviewer struggled at first, but then became a happy camper when issues were resolved.

https://positive-feedback.com/review...s-plus-server/
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    I think the 4 GB in the Nucleus is too little.
    Definitely agree. 4 GB is not enough. I also run 16 GB in my machine.

A beefier CPU also helps, and is required if you ever go to a PC based system and HQPlayer.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Roon, is it just me?

A beefier CPU also helps, and is required if you ever go to a PC based system and HQPlayer.
    Yes, concur. Especially if you are doing any upsampling, that will require a lots of MIPS.

I do not upsample, but do nevertheless have a quad core processor in the NAS to keep things smooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Roon does not require a powerful machine to run Roon without issues. Once I worked out my network issues I haven't had a glitch with Roon is a long time using a Small Green Computer i5. It is Linux based with only 64GB drive for the Roon OS. I added a 2TB SSD for my music which I will never come close to filling as a regularly cull music. The unit will handle up to 450k tracks. It comes with HQ Player installed (no license) but if you are a heavy HQ Player user I would guess you would be better off with their i9 solution. Best part is there is no need for a keyboard, mouse or monitor.
    Jim

Roon, is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Roon does not require a powerful machine to run Roon without issues. Once I worked out my network issues I haven't had a glitch with Roon is a long time using a Small Green Computer i5. It is Linux based with only 64GB drive for the Roon OS. I added a 2TB SSD for my music which I will never come close to filling as a regularly cull music. The unit will handle up to 450k tracks. It comes with HQ Player installed (no license) but if you are a heavy HQ Player user I would guess you would be better off with their i9 solution. Best part is there is no need for a keyboard, mouse or monitor.
    That’s correct, Roon does not. But media playback does require RAM. If you e.g. play some DSD albums, one track is easily 1GB. Or alternatively upsampling eats MIPS.

No issues with ROON. Only use their software.
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, ClearAudio Performance SE, Satisfy Arm & Maestro Wood MM Cartridge
    Power: 3 x 20 Amp Lines, Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Shunyata Sigma v2 NR, Block Audio Power Cords, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - Alpha CGS cables
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon Modified) Buffalo GS2016 Switches powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 SCs, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK/Vicoustics/Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

I believe you would find that this HQPlayer is not the standard version that can work with Roon. It is a lite stand along version using their interface, or so it was on the several I configured at W4S. Their OS, software configuration, etc. came from SGC and was Linyx also.

If you are a heavy HQPlayer user you would want a Windows machine running a good i7 (mine is an 8-core machine) with at least 16 GB RAM. Roon is not that hardware crippling, but 4 GB RAM is not enough. Up-sampling does start to need a higher level machine.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    That’s correct, Roon does not. But media playback does require RAM. If you e.g. play some DSD albums, one track is easily 1GB. Or alternatively upsampling eats MIPS.

I have several DSD albums (none higher than 128) that play without issue. Roon is just feeding to to my DAC.
    Jim

I believe you would find that this HQPlayer is not the standard version that can work with Roon. It is a lite stand along version using their interface, or so it was on the several I configured at W4S. Their OS, software configuration, etc. came from SGC and was Linyx also.

If you are a heavy HQPlayer user you would want a Windows machine running a good i7 (mine is an 8-core machine) with at least 16 GB RAM. Roon is not that hardware crippling, but 4 GB RAM is not enough. Up-sampling does start to need a higher level machine.
    As I indicated they have a i9 solution if you are a heavy HQ Player user but then I have no need for it.

There is nothing that would ever get me to use a Windows machine again.
    Jim

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

Roon is working very well for me, no problems. I have my Nucleus+ in front of my Lumin, and much prefer it to the Lumin app which gives me frequent problems. And, I much prefer the functionality and ease of Roon, as well as it's many additional features.

An additional note: I move my Nucleus+ between my city and country systems so as to enjoy it in both locations without having the expense of two subscriptions. It works well at both locations without problems.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

Update 528 is much faster on my clients....

There is nothing that would ever get me to use a Windows machine again.
    Everyone has their own needs, of course, and certainly to each their own. I also have no need for a Keyboard, Mouse, or Monitor to be hooked to my machine. I rarely use attached monitors, etc., to the servers that I use at work; haven't for many years.

I would never use an Apple machine and although I have nothing against it I am not a fan of Linux. Not a huge fan of open source. But, since I really love DSD, the higher the better, a Windows machine is the only way, in my view and certainly for my DAC. I up-sample everything to DSD512!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I run the Roon Nucleus Plus in my network. I use the Select II DAC with Renderer V2 Digital Input Module. I’ve had this setup for over a year and overall there have been very few glitches. There have been a few software updates lately, which required rebooting to implement. Once that was completed, it was smooth sailing. I am a huge fan of Roon and love the sound quality and functionality.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Thinking aloud here: if a nucleus cost $3k or say $2.5k, perhaps folks should consider getting a full fledged more powerful machine for about the same money.
    First of all, I am running a Roon Nucleus+ and I have zero problems with the software or hardware. I also don’t want a “full fledged more powerful machine. The Nucleus+ was purpose built to run Roon on Linux software in a very small fanless enclosure. There is not an audio card or a video card built on the motherboard. I’m glad I’m not running a Windows based server that is running two gabillion apps in the background.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    First of all, I am running a Roon Nucleus+ and I have zero problems with the software or hardware. I also don’t want a “full fledged more powerful machine. The Nucleus+ was purpose built to run Roon on Linux software in a very small fanless enclosure. There is not an audio card or a video card built on the motherboard. I’m glad I’m not running a Windows based server that is running two gabillion apps in the background.
    I fully understand. You picked hardware that fully meets your needs.

In my case, I wanted to run HQP (including filters and DSP) and be able to upsample everything to DSD512. Nucleus can’t do that. I needed a computer with high computing capacity and a Windows PC was the only choice. By the way, I turned off programs/apps so that nothing that I don’t want is running in the background. So my windows machine is a dedicated music device (unless I want to make it a gaming machine with VR capabilities which it can be).

I thought it was just me. I am running Roon server software on an iMac Pro and the music will stop playing randomly. Sometime won’t even play, the bar will keep going from left to right and not okay the song.

iMac software is also very buggy sometimes cannot go back to playlist from track info.

Happens on different playback devices. Started after the last couple of updates.

-----------------------------------------
    Borresen 02, Virtus RI-101, Ansuz A2 loom

With spending more time at home this weekend due to Coronavirus, Roon is basically not working. What a bummer.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Jfboynton View Post
    With spending more time at home this weekend due to Coronavirus, Roon is basically not working. What a bummer.
    Can you describe your digital rig?

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Can you describe your digital rig?
    Sure, I have a few different options.
    CH Precision C1 DAC, Lumin S1 & Lumin M1.
    All are Roon ready & my Nucleus+ fronts them all.
    John

Sure, I have a few different options.
    CH Precision C1 DAC, Lumin S1 & Lumin M1.
    All are Roon ready & my Nucleus+ fronts them all.
    How are you connecting the Roon Nucleus+ to your DACs?

Running an Intel NUC and haven’t had a problem with Roon on my LUMIN T2.

Audioshark

John, try the Lumin software. Stable and sounds better IMO.

Please restart your Roon Core machine and all Roon endpoints.

If that does not work, please power cycle everything, starting from the router.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by eziggy View Post
    I thought it was just me. I am running Roon server software on an iMac Pro and the music will stop playing randomly. Sometime won’t even play, the bar will keep going from left to right and not okay the song.
    There are various open Mac issue reports in Roon forum. You may start a thread there for Roon support and hope it gets resolved, or you may purchase a new machine for Roon Core, e.g. NUC8i7BEH m.2 128GB SSD 8GB RAM in Akasa Plato X8 fanless case for running Roon ROCK.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Roon, is it just me?