Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whatís your favorite ESL?

Quad 63s w Gradient SW63

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Whatís your favorite ESL speaker? Quad? KLH Model 9? Or a hybrid ESL like ML or MurAudio? Other?

Although planar magnetics are similar, Iím speaker purely of ESLís.

For me, the Quad 63, 57 and 2912 are my faves.

Iím definitely looking forward to hearing this new Anniversary 60 Quad ESL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thoughts on King Sound, Have you heard them ..?

Post Thanks / Like

BTW , Best ESL loudspeakers i have ever heard were Acoustats and mirrored closely by Sound labs...

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard some good set ups with Martin Logan. I like Sanders.

I only heard Quad once, I forget the model. It was at Axpona in the Mobile Fidelity room when they became the..... I think distributor.

Anyway, they engaged me like no other ESL. Like I told a friend who was with me, I could criticize but for some reason I just want to sit and listen. The music played wasn't even that great, LOL
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Thoughts on King Sound, Have you heard them ..?

I've owned two pairs; earlier models of the King and Prince. Incredible resolution with the King. Really showed how deficient dome tweeters are. Unfortunately reliability issues hurt the earlier models. They may have since improved though.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

6. Thanks a.wayne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    I've owned two pairs; earlier models of the King and Prince. Incredible resolution with the King. Really showed how deficient dome tweeters are. Unfortunately reliability issues hurt the earlier models. They may have since improved though.
    Not quite fair to lump all non-electrostatic/planar drivers in to one basket as there are some really fine dome designs that compete quite well in the resolution department.
    Magico's beryllium /diamond driver comes to mind.

Accuphase A-75, C-3850, DP-750, T-1200, C-37, P-530 / Magico S7, Mcoat Red w/Mpod / Synergistic Research Galileo SX Sp. Cables, Interconnects, Atmosphere X Euphoria PC's/ Clearaudio Innovation Wood, 9" Universal arm ,VTA adj. Outer Limit platter ring, Statement record clamp w/My Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent GX, Clearaudio Da Vinci V2 / Clearaudio Smart Power 24V Battery PSU / Synergistic Research PowerCell Galileo SX w/Galileo SRX PC, Active Ground Block SE w/high def cables, Black Box . Acoustic ART Vibratron ,Atmosphere Infinity w/Green ATM ,UEF Acoustic Dots ,UEF Acoustic Panels / Furutech GTX-D NCF outlets, GTX wall plate, NCF 105.1D outlet covers, NCF Booster. Flux-50 NCF / 20a dedicated lines / SteinMusic H2 Harmonizers / Stillpoints Aperture II panels / HighEnd Novum PMR Mk.II/ Akiko Audio Corelli PLC, Phono Booster / Adona Eris 5C rack, Multi Element platforms / Symposium Acoustics Svelt Shelves, Precision Couplers, / KLAudio Ultrasonic RCM / Clearaudio Smart Matrix Pro. RCM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Not quite fair to lump all non-electrostatic/planar drivers in to one basket as there are some really fine dome designs that compete quite well in the resolution department.
    Magico's beryllium /diamond driver comes to mind.

My experience has been that even the very best of dome tweeters do not come remotely close to the resolving abilities of well-engineered ESL’s or plasma tweeters for that matter either. I encourage you to audition for yourself. I find that extremely light ESL diaphragm’s have superb transient response and musical transparency and are capable of serving up music with spooky levels of realism. ESL’s are not for everyone though. The bass is observationally quite different to a cone woofer (and sometimes feels deficient vs. the later); they take up a fair amount of floor space and are demanding on amplifiers.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

9. Likes a.wayne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience has been that most ESL transducers sound like someone's scratching a chalk-board, not to mention the limited dispersion and higher power requirements.
    Resolution is one thing...Higher bandwidth and faster transient response at the expense of musicality and listen-ability is unacceptable,imo

Accuphase A-75, C-3850, DP-750, T-1200, C-37, P-530 / Magico S7, Mcoat Red w/Mpod / Synergistic Research Galileo SX Sp. Cables, Interconnects, Atmosphere X Euphoria PC's/ Clearaudio Innovation Wood, 9" Universal arm ,VTA adj. Outer Limit platter ring, Statement record clamp w/My Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent GX, Clearaudio Da Vinci V2 / Clearaudio Smart Power 24V Battery PSU / Synergistic Research PowerCell Galileo SX w/Galileo SRX PC, Active Ground Block SE w/high def cables, Black Box . Acoustic ART Vibratron ,Atmosphere Infinity w/Green ATM ,UEF Acoustic Dots ,UEF Acoustic Panels / Furutech GTX-D NCF outlets, GTX wall plate, NCF 105.1D outlet covers, NCF Booster. Flux-50 NCF / 20a dedicated lines / SteinMusic H2 Harmonizers / Stillpoints Aperture II panels / HighEnd Novum PMR Mk.II/ Akiko Audio Corelli PLC, Phono Booster / Adona Eris 5C rack, Multi Element platforms / Symposium Acoustics Svelt Shelves, Precision Couplers, / KLAudio Ultrasonic RCM / Clearaudio Smart Matrix Pro. RCM

Northern California Coast & San Francisco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    My experience has been that most ESL transducers sound like someone's scratching a chalk-board, not to mention the limited dispersion and higher power requirements.
    Resolution is one thing...Higher bandwidth and faster transient response at the expense of musicality and listen-ability is unacceptable,imo
    Obviously, you haven't heard Sound Labs (at least not in a proper setting). Everything about them is the opposite of what you just wrote! Musicality and listen-ability is only one of their
    many strengths!
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

"Sometimes I live in the country,
    Sometimes I live in town,
    Sometimes I have a great notion,
    To jump in the river ....."
    from GoodNite Irene

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-20 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    ARC REF2SE Phono
    SME 20/2 table SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+
    Lumin A1 Network Music Player
    Skywire balanced IC's, Teo liquid speaker cables
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Triton v2, 3 Typhons, (one QR), and
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Pre
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

12. Likes joeinid, kiwi_1282001, a.wayne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
    Obviously, you haven't heard Sound Labs (at least not in a proper setting). Everything about them is the opposite of what you just wrote! Musicality and listen-ability is only one of their
    many strengths!
    Fair enough. I would be open to listening again to what would be considered the latest in ESL design. I based my opinion on
    bad past experiences from 20-25 years ago I've had with Non-cone/dome drivers,especially the ones that were paired to conventional drivers in a hybrid design.
    I just think its wrong to throw out an entire type of driver in a sweeping illogical statement,especial one made by a representative of a certain brand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast